Greetings, awesome nation,

I have been reading here and there about the mysterious Magnum, a child with full QWERTY and touch screen... Like many others, I am picturing it in my head but then listened to the latest CB podcast where Kevin mentions Palm again and bingo - I knew I already have seen what I imagined...

Full story on the Palm EOS is here: Palm Eos: super-thin, 3G, and headed to AT&T?

Roughly at the width and height of the BOLD, this is a rough sketch to start with. There are changes to my mind, like for example:

* BB will be a bit thicker
    * BB will have memory card slot
    * BB will have "normal" keyboard (read BOLD keyboard)
    * etc (you can add many more, I am sure)

I am assuming Kevin will have no trouble cooking up a picture of this using his Photoshop skills - I wish I could

Oh, yeah, and one last thing - please RIM, just buy Palm Corporation and be done with it
    Last edited by defcon3; 07-20-09 at 04:10 AM.
    07-20-09 04:08 AM
    There was a "9900" photo out a while back. Pretty much, it was an 8800 with the trackball gone (just the four keys across).

I imagine what we will eventually see will be more like the Onyx (maybe a little larger) with the same series of keys as the Storm 2 (just across the top of the keyboard).
    07-20-09 05:33 AM
    Funny. Maybe we should start a poll --- Should RIM Buy Palm??

It's interesting... if you look at RIM's financials they always make a ton of money from device sales (the biggest %) and then another stream is their licensing (BIS/BES servers). But if you're a hardware company, it almost **could** make sense for RIM to work towards licensing out other OS's.... offer a BlackBerry on Android, if they could another on Palm Web OS. Some would argue it's going to hurt RIM's competitive advantage, but I'm not even sure it would. Their brand recognition is huge... so offering different "flavors" might just further broaden the appeal among the masses. And I'm sure RIM could find a way to keep RIM goodness among other platforms (like BB connect - run BBM, get push on Android/Web OS).

ahh...soo much to do, so little time.
    07-20-09 05:51 AM
    Funny. Maybe we should start a poll --- Should RIM Buy Palm??

It's interesting... if you look at RIM's financials they always make a ton of money from device sales (the biggest %) and then another stream is their licensing (BIS/BES servers). But if you're a hardware company, it almost **could** make sense for RIM to work towards licensing out other OS's.... offer a BlackBerry on Android, if they could another on Palm Web OS. Some would argue it's going to hurt RIM's competitive advantage, but I'm not even sure it would. Their brand recognition is huge... so offering different "flavors" might just further broaden the appeal among the masses. And I'm sure RIM could find a way to keep RIM goodness among other platforms (like BB connect - run BBM, get push on Android/Web OS).

ahh...soo much to do, so little time.

100% agreed. Touchscreen BlackBerry on Android or WebOs? Easily a record breaker.
    Last edited by Sinternet Jr.; 07-20-09 at 05:59 AM.
    07-20-09 05:54 AM
    i dont know about android, but rim and palm together, they would easily, surpass the iphone with technology, just imagine, a touch screen bb witha full keyboard, totally awesome as far as im concerned.
    07-20-09 09:21 AM
    well,
    RIM and palm are two of the original business oriented giants..and there is no doubt that the webOS is both stunning, effective, and in remarkably good shape given this is its initial release...

The BIGGEST impact over time will be that Palm have a greater understanding of open market programming..( i recall one developer stating 6wks to develop app for iPhone, 1wk for Pre)..

And imagine a RIM/Palm slider device, with dimensions (say) of a curve:

*larger screen than pre
    *curve sized keyboard
    *webOS interface
    *RIM backend?..
    07-20-09 10:26 AM
    My friend just picked up the Pre and the OS is pretty darn stunning. I love my Bold but sometimes I wish the OS was a little...Well better...
    07-20-09 01:19 PM
    Magnum scrapped= now it is dakota

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 04:17 PM
    Call it Dakota, call it Donald Duck if you will, code names are exactly this - CODE names, i.e. just something to reference them by before they hit the market. It is of absolutely no relevance to the idea behind the OP and namely to find similarity or draw parallel to where two companies are heading. If you ask conspiracy theorists, they may go further and say that this is synchronized and take it as a primer for merger, or buy out...

Enough talk, I am starting a poll - should RIM buy PALM!

UPDATE > here it is http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/sho...y-palm-273271/
    Last edited by defcon3; 07-21-09 at 05:10 AM.
    07-21-09 04:59 AM

100% agreed. Touchscreen BlackBerry on Android or WebOs? Easily a record breaker.
    Or the combo of the two using a new form of BB OS . RIM down the road will change the look and feel of the OS. They're not going to live in the stoneage forever. (we all would hope).
    07-23-09 11:54 AM
    With no trackball or trackpad. With a touch screen. Onyx type keyboard.
    07-23-09 11:59 AM
    RIM will make more money whenever they decide to take their BBM and make it into the new "type" of Facebook.

EVERYONE in Mexico is buying a blackberry, they don't even need it, but all they want is to give away their PINS and BBM.

If RIM ever decides to make their BBM work with computers too it'll be over.
    07-23-09 12:02 PM
    RIM will make more money whenever they decide to take their BBM and make it into the new "type" of Facebook.

EVERYONE in Mexico is buying a blackberry, they don't even need it, but all they want is to give away their PINS and BBM.

If RIM ever decides to make their BBM work with computers too it'll be over.
    agreed with the part about a bbm client being available for the PC. game changer
    Last edited by xplode; 07-23-09 at 12:16 PM.
    07-23-09 12:13 PM
    agreed with the part about a bbm client being available for the PC. game changer
    That's why I'm calling my lawyers right now and put a patent on it! LOL
    07-23-09 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD