Man, I can always come here and feel some glimmer of hope on a new or upcoming BlackBerry device. That feeling of what is, or could come, is now totally lost.

I could blame this on the dual headed CEOs or Thor, Chen, TCL. Etc..., but in the end, it is hard to believe that there will not be another BlackBerry device produced.

I know BlackBerry is now heavily into the Software and Security biz, as it has been beaten to death in this section among others.

I guess my question is - where does CrackBerry stand on supporting us Crack-Heads, and what could BlackBerry Mobile possibly do to keep interest in the BlackBerry brand as it relates to smartphones?

I know they "got out of the smartphone business in 2014" and have looked to partners for producing the hardware. But in the end, BlackBerry... when you say that word, is synonymous with PKB devices and security.

My mini rant is over. I just want honest opinions on this. If all hope is gone, then someone just state that. If there is any hope at all, then state the case for it.

I'm confused and frustrated. A slab with a hole/notch in the screen is just not a great option in my book. Is there any chance a PKB nostalgic device a la RAZR can have a place in todays market?

Depressed and feeling out of good options here. Wife thinks I'm nuts. Maybe I am.....
    CoachKozz likes this.
    02-27-20 11:21 PM
    Man, I can always come here and feel some glimmer of hope on a new or upcoming BlackBerry device. That feeling of what is, or could come, is now totally lost.

I could blame this on the dual headed CEOs or Thor, Chen, TCL. Etc..., but in the end, it is hard to believe that there will not be another BlackBerry device produced.

I know BlackBerry is now heavily into the Software and Security biz, as it has been beaten to death in this section among others.

I guess my question is - where does CrackBerry stand on supporting us Crack-Heads, and what could BlackBerry Mobile possibly do to keep interest in the BlackBerry brand as it relates to smartphones?

I know they "got out of the smartphone business in 2014" and have looked to partners for producing the hardware. But in the end, BlackBerry... when you say that word, is synonymous with PKB devices and security.

My mini rant is over. I just want honest opinions on this. If all hope is gone, then someone just state that. If there is any hope at all, then state the case for it.

I'm confused and frustrated. A slab with a hole/notch in the screen is just not a great option in my book. Is there any chance a PKB nostalgic device a la RAZR can have a place in todays market?

Depressed and feeling out of good options here. Wife thinks I'm nuts. Maybe I am.....
    BlackBerry Mobile (TCL) is out. The end. No more KEY or Motion devices.

BlackBerry Limited is out. The end. Hardware was a huge money loser, they have long dismantled their handset infrastructure, and they have moved on to other things.

My only hope is that someone is willing at some point in the future to licence the keyboard tech from BlackBerry Limited.

In the meantime, CrackBerry isn't going anywhere.
    rarsen likes this.
    02-27-20 11:35 PM
    Close thread...
    OrlandoTruth likes this.
    02-27-20 11:41 PM
    I guess my question is - where does CrackBerry stand on supporting us Crack-Heads
    As long as there is sufficient traffic, CrackBerry will be around.

what could BlackBerry Mobile possibly do to keep interest in the BlackBerry brand as it relates to smartphones?
    Absolutely nothing. They lose the authority to to anything BlackBerry-related other than honor warranty claims after August.
    02-28-20 03:16 PM

CrackBerry will be here...
    BBM did sign up for fixing BlackBerry, they signed up becuase they tuaght the name had a userbase they could "use".

Anything is possible... but most these folding devices are about getting bigger screens, not making room for a PKB. And BBMo clearly defined just how small the PKB market is. It won't support a YoY device, maybe on new phone every three - four years?
    02-28-20 03:26 PM
    tuaght
    You're pushing it now.
    02-28-20 03:29 PM
    tuaght
    Ok - this is morphing in the wrong direction - middle earth.
    02-28-20 04:41 PM

Hey mountain,

First some definitions just in case:

Blackberry Mobile is a brand name licensed by TCL, which they used to produce Android devices, some of which had physical keyboards but ran Android with some Blackberry-specific software thrown in. They are done and there is no hope.

Blackberry Limited is the company formerly known as Research in Motion, which produced BBOS and BB10 and associated devices. They have not produced a new device in many years and there is no hard evidence that they ever intend to do so again. They are, however, still supporting the back-end services which power BBOS, BB10, and the Playbook. There have also been circumstantial noises made from time to time about movement on the mobile side of things. To be clear: THERE IS NO HARD EVIDENCE anything will happen in this regard. But there is anecdotal evidence they may be planning something and they are certainly keeping existing services going.

Crackberry support for Crack-Heads: that depends on the OS you use in terms of official position and who you ask in terms of "support." But the forums are still here for a while at least. You'd have to ask Bla1ze if they're going away or morphing away from a Blackberry-centric focus.

So while there's no hope for new devices any time soon, you can still use existing devices (particularly BB10 ones) and have a fair bit of support on those, if they meet your needs.
    02-28-20 10:03 PM
    It's not up to Bla1ze... it's up to Future PLC as to how long they feel that they can make money off the Crackberry Brand..

https://www.futureplc.com/brands/

Hey mountain,

First some definitions just in case:

Blackberry Mobile is a brand name licensed by TCL, which they used to produce Android devices, some of which had physical keyboards but ran Android with some Blackberry-specific software thrown in. They are done and there is no hope.

Blackberry Limited is the company formerly known as Research in Motion, which produced BBOS and BB10 and associated devices. They have not produced a new device in many years and there is no hard evidence that they ever intend to do so again. They are, however, still supporting the back-end services which power BBOS, BB10, and the Playbook. There have also been circumstantial noises made from time to time about movement on the mobile side of things. To be clear: THERE IS NO HARD EVIDENCE anything will happen in this regard. But there is anecdotal evidence they may be planning something and they are certainly keeping existing services going.

Crackberry support for Crack-Heads: that depends on the OS you use in terms of official position and who you ask in terms of "support." But the forums are still here for a while at least. You'd have to ask Bla1ze if they're going away or morphing away from a Blackberry-centric focus.

So while there's no hope for new devices any time soon, you can still use existing devices (particularly BB10 ones) and have a fair bit of support on those, if they meet your needs.
    02-28-20 10:18 PM

Yup there goes the last BlackBerry factory..............
    Attached Thumbnails Hope is gone?-giphy.jpg  
    02-29-20 11:51 AM
    Wife thinks I'm nuts. Maybe I am.....

My wife is sick and tired of my Blackberry ups and downs.

Could someone start a thread solely for the spouses and partners of manic (when a new phone is released) -depressive (when TCL ends production) BlackBerry users? The poor woman has had to endure 30 years of this s*it.
    03-02-20 10:30 AM
    My wife is sick and tired of my Blackberry ups and downs.

Could someone start a thread solely for the spouses and partners of manic (when a new phone is released) -depressive (when TCL ends production) BlackBerry users? The poor woman has had to endure 30 years of this s*it.
    BlackBerry has only made phones almost 20 years ?!?
    03-02-20 10:32 AM
    BlackBerry has only made phones almost 20 years ?!?
    Lol. Okay, I stand corrected. She's listened to my bellyaching for almost 20 years. I started with a 6230, if memory serves.
    Last edited by Oshasat; 03-02-20 at 11:00 AM.
    03-02-20 10:48 AM
    Lol. Okay, I stand corrected. She's listened to my bellyaching for almost 20 years. I started with a 6230, if memory serves.
    LOL - I’m just thinking you had found the holy grail of BlackBerry hardware prototypes....

Well, just pick your Android/iOS poison and she’ll be happy you’re not unhealthily fixating.... my family is all iOS so even my BBAndroid or plain Android wasn’t enough of a cure... I’m on iPhone XR and my family considers me cured....
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-02-20 11:55 AM
    LOL - I’m just thinking you had found the holy grail of BlackBerry hardware prototypes....

Well, just pick your Android/iOS poison and she’ll be happy you’re not unhealthily fixating.... my family is all iOS so even my BBAndroid or plain Android wasn’t enough of a cure... I’m on iPhone XR and my family considers me cured....
    Same boat.... not really cured, but they think I am.
    Oshasat likes this.
    03-02-20 01:01 PM