09-09-14 05:09 AM
81 1234
tools
    My Bank of America Visa has had chips for four years on now. Maybe, it is a Visa standard or something.
    That's odd. I've never had a BofA card with a chip and pin. Also they've never been listed as one of the banks offering them. I've looked several times especially in Feb 2012 as I was getting ready to cross the pond.

Strange.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s
    09-04-14 11:45 AM
    It is. Even 3rd world countries have adopted the chip cards
    Third world countries do not have the system as widespread as the US and even Europe as a whole has considerable less users than the US as most European are still skeptical of Credit cards. One thing is to change few thousands terminals another is to change several hundred millions.
    The US will get to Chip and Pin, unfortunately it will do so gradually by adopting chip and signature first.
    09-04-14 11:47 AM
    That's odd. I've never had a BofA card with a chip and pin. Also they've never been listed as one of the banks offering them. I've looked several times especially in Feb 2012 as I was getting ready to cross the pond.

Strange.

It is not chip and pin, it is chip and signature
    https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit...gnature-faq.go

click on the " What's the difference between chip & signature and chip & PIN? Does my card have a PIN?" question
    09-04-14 11:50 AM
    Yah I thought not.
    Sent from my SUPER HOT Nokia Lumia 1520 via Tapatalk
    09-04-14 11:53 AM
    Third world countries do not have the system as widespread as the US and even Europe as a whole has considerable less users than the US as most European are still skeptical of Credit cards. One thing is to change few thousands terminals another is to change several hundred millions.
    The US will get to Chip and Pin, unfortunately it will do so gradually by adopting chip and signature first.
    It does cause problems for travelers who think they can use their cards across the pond and find out there that they can't, sometimes at very awkward times.

09-04-14 11:57 AM
    Latest info I've found.

http://krebsonsecurity.com/2014/09/d...nl-swbd&wpmm=1

Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-04-14 12:29 PM
    That would be quite the change. The transit subsidy would have to go to the new cards. I expect that the transit subsidy would go directly to a person's bank if the person would use an NFC enabled phone.

I highly doubt they will ever deposit the transit subsidy directly into someone's bank account. Too much of a risk of fraud as someone would sign up for the subsidy, never use it, but now the funds are mixed with their personal money. It would most likey be done through an app with Metro.
    09-04-14 12:49 PM
    Well true then they can't track and take back what's left over at the end of the month.

09-04-14 12:51 PM
    Dang my pic won't load from my Lumia. Too big. Was trying to show what my Metro card looks like. Sounds like NFC by your description.
    Our cards have a chip on one side, and a RFID on the other. you just tap the RFID on the terminal and you're on your way.
    09-04-14 12:55 PM
    Nothing on ours.
    Home Depot hacked-imageuploadedbytapatalk1409853536.828780.jpg

09-04-14 12:59 PM
    Citation for Europe have less users? And hardware wise, it's not about the nuber of users, it's about the number of endpoints. And Europe has a lot of those. And a lot of kiosks type. It's always funny seeing American tourists wondering why they can't buy somethiong from a vending machine with their obsolete technology cards.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    09-04-14 01:05 PM
    Nothing on ours.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409853536.828780.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	295727

Nothing shows on thr RFID side either. just a little ))) drawing. It's embedded into the card.
    09-04-14 01:12 PM
    Ah see I thought there would be a chip or visible stamp. Then maybe my Metro is NFC????

09-04-14 01:53 PM
    Ah see I thought there would be a chip or visible stamp. Then maybe my Metro is NFC????

This site did a teardown of the smartrip card. They say it is a RFID chip.

Dissecting the SmarTrip: DCist
    09-04-14 01:59 PM
    WOW that is AWESOME!!!! Thanks!!!!

09-04-14 02:05 PM
    No, it does not matter. Federal law in the US says that the consumer is not responsible for fraudulent charges once it has been reported and your maximum liability is $50 per card. The double edge sword to this is that because of the law, banks are using Chip and Signature, which would keep the liability with the bank instead of Chip and PIN, which would transfer liability to the consumer or merchant. The downside is that everyone else in the world uses Chip and PIN and so it can cause issues if you are at a kiosk or merchant that only uses Chip and PIN terminals.

And yes, it is more secure. You really think EMV is not more secure than non-encrypted information on a magnetic strip? Does it mean that EMV can't be hacked? No, but it is more secure than the 1970s swipe technology that we're currently using.
    Lmao swipe, CHECK ID, and sign. Backed by the card issuer's insurance and co-insurance, and with fraud as a responsibility of the financial institution. So, chip and pin EMV with liability in your hands? Or swipe, check ID, and sign but with zero liability? Hmmm.

Posted via BlackBerry Q10 on AT&T
    09-04-14 02:41 PM
    09-04-14 02:45 PM
    No one knows but I don't think it is a coincidence that this hack happen right after they gave up their BlackBerry for iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Home Depot has been using iPhones for almost four years now..

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 02:51 PM
    Lmao swipe, CHECK ID, and sign. Backed by the card issuer's insurance and co-insurance, and with fraud as a responsibility of the financial institution. So, chip and pin EMV with liability in your hands? Or swipe, check ID, and sign but with zero liability? Hmmm.

I like the concept that I maintain complete physical control of my card at all time. To me, that's much more secure than giving it to some unknown guy at the restaurant.
    09-04-14 03:56 PM

And EMV will be touch, sign and no liability, except your transactions are encrypted so you are much less likely to have to worry about checking your statements for fraudulent activities because the waiter/waitress skims your card before handing it back to you or someone installs a skimmer at the gas station pump. Check ID doesn't do squat for skimming.

The law hasn't changed regarding liability. That's why banks are going with chip and signature instead of chip and PIN.

Why are you against being proactive with protecting your credit? Yeah, you may not have any liability, but it is still an inconvenience of having to fill out the paperwork and then be without a credit card while you wait for a new one.
    Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 04:41 PM
    A big LOL at this thread. I've never seen such a reckless abandonment of logic in the name of fanboydom.

Wait, it's the internet... I see that like 30 times a day. Way to go Crackberry!!! BBFANBOIS4LIFE.

Posted via CB10
    mikeo007, Moonbase0ne and JeepBB like this.
    09-04-14 07:18 PM
    I wonder if I'll get an updated card. Mine is due to be replaced in less than 2 months. I have Chase though, not BoA.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    09-04-14 07:27 PM
    A big LOL at this thread. I've never seen such a reckless abandonment of logic in the name of fanboydom.

Wait, it's the internet... I see that like 30 times a day. Way to go Crackberry!!! BBFANBOIS4LIFE.

Posted via CB10
    It's as though they see the word "hacked" and immediately go to "was this Apple? How does Blackberry benefit?"

Short answer is they don't. Not really. It'd be nice if it were different, I guess, but its just not so. And frankly its making this place pretty poisonous.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-04-14 08:31 PM
    Billion dollar obama care website got hacked in July and just found out last week.

Posted via CB10
    09-04-14 10:08 PM
    Cards in the Great White North have had chip and pin for years as well. And NFC payment.
    Yeah, I haven?t pulled my card out of my wallet in a long time.
    I just tap my entire wallet to the terminal and the payment goes through.
    Very fast. Would not want to go back.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-05-14 06:49 PM
81 1234