09-09-14 05:09 AM
81 1234
tools
    These hacks are not mobile this does however still bring up the conversation about security both mobile and otherwise this can only be good for blackberry to keep shouting security is our focus. Unfortunately its going to take more people getting hacked to make things better for blackberry. Let's hope these incidents make corporations rethink their current security needs.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    This was my point exactly. Glad someone understands

Posted via CB10
    09-03-14 04:55 PM
    This is huge to do with BlackBerry. They switched from BlackBerry to iPhone and it is obvious they don't have security on top of their minds. Maybe because they think they sell home related stuff and they have nothing to hide, they don't care about security. Now they have bite their own feet. CIO need to be fired.

Posted via CB10

There is nothing to do ones with the other. There are agencies and business that use BlackBerry that suffer data breaches.

Some recent examples:

CIA/Snowden

IRS

Social Security

Department of Agriculture

Data breaches are not always related to tech. Some are human errors.
    09-03-14 05:07 PM
    With the latest round of security breaches and hacks occurring in the corporate sector, I think these CEO's are rethinking their security policies.

This latest round of credit card hacks are affecting the companies when it hurts the most, their wallets. They have put security on the back burner for the sake of profitability. Maybe with this latest threat, they will start looking at both their credit card, corporate and mobile security measures.

Sent from my Lovely z30 on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1052)
    09-03-14 05:09 PM
    Cards across the pond have had chips for years. This country is far behind.
    Cards in the Great White North have had chip and pin for years as well. And NFC payment.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-04-14 07:11 AM
    Cards in the Great White North have had chip and pin for years as well. And NFC payment.
    I know. We're far behind here.
    NFC is nearly nonexistent in the businesses/services I interact with on a daily basis.

I also don't think I would use NFC when/if it becomes common here. The fewer points where I can make my bank accounts vulnerable the better for me.

I'm actually toying around with the idea of actually *carrying cash* now. I mean Target and now Home Depot?!? These are places I go to all the time.

Sent from my AWESOME 64G gold iPhone 5s
    Laura Knotek and theRock1975 like this.
    09-04-14 07:21 AM
    Wait you mean I have this and the whole USA doesn't?!

Home Depot hacked-segunda-via-cart-o-ourocard.jpg
    09-04-14 09:23 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Segunda-Via-Cartão-Ourocard.jpg 
Views:	801 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	295693

Only two banks have chip and PIN. Also a couple of federal credit unions. My banks in the US haven't got it, as with the majority of US banks. It's American Express and Barclay's I think that have them.

Found this article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifest...9f1_story.html
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 09-04-14 at 09:44 AM. Reason: added link
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-04-14 09:38 AM
    No, it's another credit card hack like Target. Probably involves their POS terminals and servers.

It has nothing to do with mobile devices used by employees.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
    I thought that the root cause was a vendors phone o nthe company network. IThe vendors phone was iOS or Android.
    09-04-14 10:17 AM

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Segunda-Via-Cartão-Ourocard.jpg 
Views:	801 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	295693
    Most US banks that are issuing cards with chip are either chip-and-sign, or have them as 'convenience' for people who travel outside the US.
    09-04-14 10:18 AM
    NFC is nearly nonexistent in the businesses/services I interact with on a daily basis.

I also don't think I would use NFC when/if it becomes common here. The fewer points where I can make my bank accounts vulnerable the better for me.

I'm actually toying around with the idea of actually *carrying cash* now. I mean Target and now Home Depot?!? These are places I go to all the time.

NFC usually has a low $$$ threshold, and will only work so many times before the chip-and-pin needs to be used to 'validate' the card.
    09-04-14 10:19 AM
    I thought that the root cause was a vendors phone o nthe company network. IThe vendors phone was iOS or Android.

I haven't seen that report. Is there a link? All I've seen is that they're investigating with the FBI for unusual activity.
    09-04-14 10:22 AM
    I haven't seen that report. Is there a link? All I've seen is that they're investigating with the FBI for unusual activity.
    It's pure and utter FUD, there likely is no link because there is no reputable source stating that. The only suggested source of the leak that I've seen has been possible malicious software installed on the registers themselves (the same thing that happened with Target). Home Depot's credit cards may have been hacked
    09-04-14 10:25 AM
    NFC usually has a low $$$ threshold, and will only work so many times before the chip-and-pin needs to be used to 'validate' the card.
    Dang my pic won't load from my Lumia. Too big. Was trying to show what my Metro card looks like. Sounds like NFC by your description.
    09-04-14 10:29 AM
    It's pure and utter FUD, there likely is no link because there is no reputable source stating that. The only suggested source of the leak that I've seen has been possible malicious software installed on the registers themselves (the same thing that happened with Target). Home Depot's credit cards may have been hacked
    Yah I haven't seem any mention of cause yet and nothing about mobile tech.

09-04-14 10:34 AM
    You seriously think EMV is any more secure? It's more secure for the bank as they no longer carry the risk of having to pay for fraudulent charges on your account since the determination of "negligence" on your part is now on their hands.

Posted via CB10
    No, it does not matter. Federal law in the US says that the consumer is not responsible for fraudulent charges once it has been reported and your maximum liability is $50 per card. The double edge sword to this is that because of the law, banks are using Chip and Signature, which would keep the liability with the bank instead of Chip and PIN, which would transfer liability to the consumer or merchant. The downside is that everyone else in the world uses Chip and PIN and so it can cause issues if you are at a kiosk or merchant that only uses Chip and PIN terminals.

And yes, it is more secure. You really think EMV is not more secure than non-encrypted information on a magnetic strip? Does it mean that EMV can't be hacked? No, but it is more secure than the 1970s swipe technology that we're currently using.
    09-04-14 10:38 AM
    If CIO decided to switch corporate phones from BlackBerry to iPhone, do you think he had security on top of his mind and is it a surprise they got hacked no matter where it was involved?

Posted via CB10
    Target was hacked and they use Blackberry...so following your logic they got hacked because they use obsolete phone hardware.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    09-04-14 10:40 AM
    With the latest round of security breaches and hacks occurring in the corporate sector, I think these CEO's are rethinking their security policies.

This latest round of credit card hacks are affecting the companies when it hurts the most, their wallets. They have put security on the back burner for the sake of profitability. Maybe with this latest threat, they will start looking at both their credit card, corporate and mobile security measures.

Sent from my Lovely z30 on T Mobile USA (10.3.0.1052)
    and if they do Blackberry will lose the 3% of enterprise that still use them because their MDM system is no longer the most secure
    09-04-14 10:46 AM
    It is. Even 3rd world countries have adopted the chip cards
    09-04-14 10:46 AM
    Only two banks have chip and PIN. Also a couple of federal credit unions. My banks in the US haven't got it, as with the majority of US banks. It's American Express and Barclay's I think that have them.

Found this article:

Chip-and-PIN cards, coming soon (hopefully) to a U.S. bank near you. You?ll need them. - The Washington Post
    Bank of America has introduced it within the past year but it's currently only available on credit cards
    09-04-14 10:49 AM
    Dang my pic won't load from my Lumia. Too big. Was trying to show what my Metro card looks like. Sounds like NFC by your description.
    Metro announced earlier this year that they had signed a contract to upgrade the fair gates to accept "chip-enabled credit cards, federal government ID cards, and mobile phones using near field communications (NFC)". Should be interesting, but I'll believe when I see it when it comes to Metro.

Metro - About Metro - News - Washington Metro awards Accenture major contract for new electronic fare payment system to improve customer experience
    09-04-14 10:53 AM
    Metro announced earlier this year that they had signed a contract to upgrade the fair gates to accept "chip-enabled credit cards, federal government ID cards, and mobile phones using near field communications (NFC)". Should be interesting, but I'll believe when I see it when it comes to Metro.

Metro - About Metro - News - Washington Metro awards Accenture major contract for new electronic fare payment system to improve customer experience
    That would be quite the change. The transit subsidy would have to go to the new cards. I expect that the transit subsidy would go directly to a person's bank if the person would use an NFC enabled phone.

09-04-14 10:58 AM

One of the reasons I still use cash. Hack that
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-04-14 11:00 AM
    Bank of America has introduced it within the past year but it's currently only available on credit cards
    Yah I haven't got a BofA credit card.

But if they're doing it now that would mean others are coming too. It sure would make hopping the pond easier.

09-04-14 11:00 AM
    One of the reasons I still use cash. Hack that
    I'm starting to think of embracing that.

kbz1960 likes this.
    09-04-14 11:01 AM

Found this article:

Chip-and-PIN cards, coming soon (hopefully) to a U.S. bank near you. You?ll need them. - The Washington Post

My Bank of America Visa has had chips for four years on now. Maybe, it is a Visa standard or something.
    09-04-14 11:32 AM
81 1234