07-29-14 01:09 PM
31 12
tools
    With the investment Amazon has made in the Fire phone, I can't see them abandoning it for at least another 2-3 years. I have a feeling they will try going the discount HW route for their phone first before pulling the plug on their app store.

The question I have, is at what % of US market share do they need to get in order for Google to release their services to them, as they have done for iOS? If it is the services that are indeed the deal breaker for Android users (I don't believe this is the case) then this is what Amazon needs to focus on.

In speaking with enough Android and iOS users in the real world, I have come to the conclusion that they are utterly clueless on 90% of the things we all go on about here (specs, ecosystem, services, etc). The two biggest smartphone companies right now are iOS and Samsung. They are the two biggest because they have made themselves to be aspirational brands. They have excellent marketing and they know how to make their products desirable. This is what it really comes down to for companies like Blackberry and Amazon. Just find a way to be cool...
    To get Google Play/Gapps, Amazon would have to ditch its fork of Android to affiliate with OHA. Thus, the only thing preventing Amazon from getting Gapps is Amazon itself.

This is where that investment you refer to comes into play. I don't think it makes sense either to drop it at this point. B&N hosts its own store even after ditching its fork AFAIK.

I think that the moves Amazon makes in the near future to shore up its content will help decide things.
    07-29-14 09:31 AM
    To get Google Play/Gapps, Amazon would have to ditch its fork of Android to affiliate with OHA. Thus, the only thing preventing Amazon from getting Gapps is Amazon itself.

This is where that investment you refer to comes into play. I don't think it makes sense either to drop it at this point. B&N hosts its own store even after ditching its fork AFAIK.

I think that the moves Amazon makes in the near future to shore up its content will help decide things.
    Interesting how Google is able to release their services to a non-OHA member like Apple, but not to a competitor running a forked version of Android. They would actually be tying their hands very badly with this little rule if Amazon could ever amass significant enough market share. Just to clarify, I am speaking only of the services and not the entire Google Play store.
    07-29-14 10:38 AM
    Interesting how Google is able to release their services to a non-OHA member like Apple, but not to a competitor running a forked version of Android. They would actually be tying their hands very badly with this little rule if Amazon could ever amass significant enough market share. Just to clarify, I am speaking only of the services and not the entire Google Play store.
    I believe (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) OHA mostly deals with Google Play access to Android OEMs.

Google can make standalone Gapps for anyone it wants to, and Apple doesn't do Android.

I'm sure Apple would sell its soul (LOL) to not allow Gapps too.
    07-29-14 11:40 AM
    There's a difference between "Google Play Services" and "Google Services". Google Play Services are backend cloud-based functionality such as push notifications that developers can use in their apps. These services are unavailable on BB/Amazon. "Google Services" (as some posters here are refer to them) are simply the customer-facing products such as Maps, Mail, Analytics, etc. that Google offers. It's possible for Google to create apps for its customer-facing products (for example, for iOS) without Play Services.
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    07-29-14 11:41 AM
    There's a difference between "Google Play Services" and "Google Services". Google Play Services are backend cloud-based functionality such as push notifications that developers can use in their apps. These services are unavailable on BB/Amazon. "Google Services" (as some posters here are refer to them) are simply the customer-facing products such as Maps, Mail, Analytics, etc. that Google offers. It's possible for Google to create apps for its customer-facing products (for example, for iOS) without Play Services.
    Good clarification. I was the terms interchangeably.
    07-29-14 11:49 AM
    Thank you for the explanation. I would assume what consumers care most about are the 'Google Services', as those appear to be the differentiator between Google Play and other Android stores.
    07-29-14 01:09 PM
31 12