07-29-14 12:09 PM
31 12
tools
    Amazon set to launch Prime Instant Video app for Android: 4K content coming - PC Advisor

As I'm sure most folks know, Amazon Prime Instant Video isn't available on Android (and thusly, not on BB10 either) however, if the info in the link above is accurate, then it could be soon which could also translate into working on BlackBerry 10.

Until this info came out, there was pretty much no chance the Amazon/BlackBerry deal would include a BB10 version of Amazon Instant Prime video but this changes things and we could end up with the ability to run the Android app.

Again, assuming it's accurate which right now, we just don't know.
    07-18-14 11:03 PM
    That's pretty cool. I've been wondering why there wasn't an android app for that. You can watch in the browser if you set desktop mode, though.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-14 11:08 PM
    That's pretty cool. I've been wondering why there wasn't an android app for that. You can watch in the browser if you set desktop mode, though.

Posted via CB10
    Initially, AFAIK the concern was piracy. Where Android devices could be rooted, they were concerned someone might be able to take the content off the device. Dunno how true that is but it's entirely plausible but that's always been the case no matter what really, bit of a daft excuse.
    07-18-14 11:13 PM
    This would be great. I watch amazon prime on my Z10 through the browser in desktop mode but I think an app would be a better experience. I'm hopeful amazon is able to better optimize their apps for BlackBerry 10.3 and 10.3.1. I'd like an amazon music app that could download locally on my device. That's a glaring bug for me right now and I do like that app.

Posted via CB10
    07-18-14 11:19 PM
    So now we really need 4K mobile screens?

Posted via CB10
    smart548 likes this.
    07-18-14 11:41 PM
    I think the real reason it hasn't been available was competition. It was available on the Fire, which can be rooted, and iPhone, which can be jbed. Thus, I agree, the piracy excuse was lame.

Amazon did hold out for long though LOL. With Prime raising prices, they could use the extra reach.
    mornhavon likes this.
    07-18-14 11:45 PM
    Initially, AFAIK the concern was piracy. Where Android devices could be rooted, they were concerned someone might be able to take the content off the device. Dunno how true that is but it's entirely plausible but that's always been the case no matter what really, bit of a daft excuse.
    I think the real reason it hasn't been available was competition. It was available on the Fire, which can be rooted, and iPhone, which can be jbed. Thus, I agree, the piracy excuse was lame.

Amazon did hold out for long though LOL. With Prime raising prices, they could use the extra reach.
    I don't buy into the piracy explanation either, since other services have been able to ensure their product doesn't stream to rooted devices etc.. I think it's more that Amazon doesn't exactly have a healthy track record with timeliness or punctuality when it comes to developing and releasing apps. Even their Kindle app for Android took ages to initially release (Android users were begging for the app a good long while before it finally released), and it was quite some time after that, that it finally became a decent quality app.
    07-19-14 07:59 AM
    Much like, say, BBM for BB, Amazon wanted to keep PIV an exclusive for their own Kindle Fire tablets for as long as possible, to help drive adoption of those devices and thus lock people into its ecosystem. But they've kind of peaked - without Google Services, most people don't want a Fire, and everyone who didn't care already has one, so if they want to continue to grow Prime subscriptions, they HAD to open it up to Android devices too.
    mornhavon, JeepBB and anon1727506 like this.
    07-19-14 08:16 AM
    Yesss. I love Prime, it's a really great service. It's just as good as iTunes is, to me. The iPad and iPod touch apps are really nice, so I'm sure their Android one will be too.

I hope Amazon's partnership with BlackBerry benefits them both. They're two of my favorite companies.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-14 11:33 AM
    Any chance or rumours for Canadian release?

From my z30
    07-21-14 08:43 AM
    Much like, say, BBM for BB, Amazon wanted to keep PIV an exclusive for their own Kindle Fire tablets for as long as possible, to help drive adoption of those devices and thus lock people into its ecosystem. But they've kind of peaked - without Google Services, most people don't want a Fire, and everyone who didn't care already has one, so if they want to continue to grow Prime subscriptions, they HAD to open it up to Android devices too.
    I know several people that have already replaced their not so old Kindle Fires with other tablets.... Instagram has been a killer of platforms.
    07-21-14 08:48 AM
    I know several people that have already replaced their not so old Kindle Fires with other tablets.... Instagram has been a killer of platforms.
    Same here,.. lots of little kids have inherited fairly new Kindle Fires for game-playing as Mom & Dad have discovered their limitations and have bought iPads and Galaxy Tabs to replace them in order to get access to the app ecosystems they support.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    07-21-14 12:17 PM
    Except a number of very popular games that kids like are only on iOS or Android... At least in my extend family and friends it seems Disney is doing VERY well in the kids game market these days. They have brought a few of those games to the Kindle and even to BB10.... many others have not made it, and I know one of the BB10 Apps didn't get an update that came out a few months ago. So the kids are borrowing mom and dads new tablets and mom and dad are using the older ones.

Wold not be surprised at all if Amazon doesn't give up on their platform... it is hurting sales of hardware. And as Amazon Prime is better than Google's own Video/Music/Book stores, I don't think they have anything to fear with going straight Android. Just have their Apps preinstalled and a custom Amazon UI.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    07-22-14 08:26 AM
    Except a number of very popular games that kids like are only on iOS or Android... At least in my extend family and friends it seems Disney is doing VERY well in the kids game market these days. They have brought a few of those games to the Kindle and even to BB10.... many others have not made it, and I know one of the BB10 Apps didn't get an update that came out a few months ago. So the kids are borrowing mom and dads new tablets and mom and dad are using the older ones.

Wold not be surprised at all if Amazon doesn't give up on their platform... it is hurting sales of hardware. And as Amazon Prime is better than Google's own Video/Music/Book stores, I don't think they have anything to fear with going straight Android. Just have their Apps preinstalled and a custom Amazon UI.
    B&N gave in, so why not? I wouldn't be surprised either, and the partnership with BBRY actually makes me think it is a possibility that the Appstore may not be in the long term plans.
    07-22-14 08:37 AM
    I think Amazon would have gotten more Prime subscriptions had they had an Android app in the first place, but now that they finally ARE releasing one (coinciding with Android TV too), I think they'll see a big jump in subscriptions, and that might be enough to make them realize that the Fire line is really a waste of time and resources.
    07-22-14 09:54 AM
    I think Amazon would have gotten more Prime subscriptions had they had an Android app in the first place, but now that they finally ARE releasing one (coinciding with Android TV too), I think they'll see a big jump in subscriptions, and that might be enough to make them realize that the Fire line is really a waste of time and resources.
    I suspect they've already reached that conclusion (that the Fire might not be the long-term money maker they initially envisaged).
    anon1727506 likes this.
    07-22-14 09:56 AM
    B&N gave in, so why not? I wouldn't be surprised either, and the partnership with BBRY actually makes me think it is a possibility that the Appstore may not be in the long term plans.
    Any chance you could elaborate more on this theory?

Why would Amazon cut a deal with BB to use their app store if they know it is going to go away soon and be replaced with Google Play? Why would BB waste their time with this partnership and alienate whatever native devs they did have? What am I missing?
    07-28-14 02:58 PM
    Any chance you could elaborate more on this theory?

Why would Amazon cut a deal with BB to use their app store if they know it is going to go away soon and be replaced with Google Play? Why would BB waste their time with this partnership and alienate whatever native devs they did have? What am I missing?
    It's conjecture on my part, but the confluence of events (potentially creating an Android Prime Video app which Amazon has steadfastly resisted till now) and opening to BB10 devices signals to me that the Kindle hardware is not tying people into the Amazon ecosystem as quickly as it would like. In some respects, Amazon has the same problem BB10 has: no easy access to Google Services.

So, when one considers that Google seems to be tightening the framework to freeze non-OHA OEMs (like Amazon) out; it does make me curious as to the advantage Amazon is getting from this, apart from slightly more data to collect.

Again, mostly conjecture, but based upon the theory that the draw of Android really is Google Services.
    07-28-14 03:18 PM
    Are Google services really the draw, or is it the fact Google is forcing devs to tightly couple them with their apps, thus making them useless on forked versions of android? You have an android device as well. When you out it away and swith over to a non-android device, how much do you miss the services?

At the end of the day, I don't believe these services are the be all and end all as apple doesn't necessarily have best of breed competing services (on a service for service basis with google), yet they are doing well for themselves. Obviously their marketing and overall package play a big part, but on a service for service basis they can't compete with Google IMO.

It would be a shame for BlackBerry if amazon folded up their store and went google play, but I agree with you that kindle has not helped amazon like they thought it would.

We'll see how this all plays out.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 07:06 PM
    The difference is that Apple already HAS access to nearly all Google services, because Google has written iOS apps for almost everything. Given that Apple was the #1 smartphone company when Android was launching in 2008, they didn't really have a choice, and with iOS still owing 45+% of the market in the US (the most profitable market in the world), Google needed to be able to reach those users.

If BB had 45% of the US market, I promise you there would be native Cascades Google apps in BB World. But at <1% (for BB10), Google can safely ignore BB10, especially because anyone that leaves BB will almost certainly end up on iOS or Android, where Google already has coverage.
    JeepBB and LuvULongTime like this.
    07-28-14 09:38 PM
    If BlackBerry just jumped in with Amazon and then Amazon folds their appstore within a year that would be crazy! And tremendous bad luck, like the dinosaurs not surviving the asteroid impact. Did I just say that? If that happens then we see a BlackBerry android phone and who knows what else, or going pure services. Man I am just getting started with BlackBerry, keep moving and getting better!

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 10:29 PM
    If BlackBerry just jumped in with Amazon and then Amazon folds their appstore within a year that would be crazy! And tremendous bad luck, like the dinosaurs not surviving the asteroid impact. Did I just say that? If that happens then we see a BlackBerry android phone and who knows what else, or going pure services. Man I am just getting started with BlackBerry, keep moving and getting better!

Posted via CB10
    Hopefully, it doesn't come to that.

I think it depends somewhat on how the Kindle line does over the medium term. If it doesn't bring enough people in, why would Amazon maintain its AppStore?

Then I wonder... did BBRY drop money for this access? What's in it for Amazon?

So many questions...
    07-28-14 10:36 PM
    I can see more users for the amazon app store as a win for amazon... and more consumers of amazon media. That is why it would be nuts if amazon kills their appstore soon...

Posted via CB10
    07-28-14 10:45 PM

I think it depends somewhat on how the Kindle line does over the medium term. If it doesn't bring enough people in, why would Amazon maintain its AppStore?

So many questions...
    Maybe Amazon saw it as an investment. There is a chance of Blackberry making a come back, and being allies in the early stages of it could prove to be a wise decision by Amazon.
    07-28-14 10:48 PM

So many questions...
    With the investment Amazon has made in the Fire phone, I can't see them abandoning it for at least another 2-3 years. I have a feeling they will try going the discount HW route for their phone first before pulling the plug on their app store.

The question I have, is at what % of US market share do they need to get in order for Google to release their services to them, as they have done for iOS? If it is the services that are indeed the deal breaker for Android users (I don't believe this is the case) then this is what Amazon needs to focus on.

In speaking with enough Android and iOS users in the real world, I have come to the conclusion that they are utterly clueless on 90% of the things we all go on about here (specs, ecosystem, services, etc). The two biggest smartphone companies right now are iOS and Samsung. They are the two biggest because they have made themselves to be aspirational brands. They have excellent marketing and they know how to make their products desirable. This is what it really comes down to for companies like Blackberry and Amazon. Just find a way to be cool...
    07-29-14 08:01 AM
31 12