Another quote from the Heins interview with Al Sacco -- here is the link to the single page "print" version:
    | RIM CEO on What Went Wrong and the Future of BlackBerry

"We had a very, very successful recipe of what BlackBerry was all about. There were four main pillars: battery life; typing; security; and compression. Then there was a shift with LTE. With LTE it was important actually not to save network resources, it was important to load the networks, to sell data plans and sell data volume. We didn't miss on innovation. I think we missed on understanding, specifically in the U.S., that this trend was shifting, and that our positioning and our value proposition in the U.S. market was not following that trend shift."

This is pretty clear evidence, I believe, that BIS will not move much data for the BB10 phones, at least not in North America. RIM's network will probably be used for the BB10 phone the way it is used for the PlayBook, to help with email setup. BBM could transit on BIS. There may be some kind of new cloud service on BIS. Perhaps some email will move on the BIS network, but perhaps not.

But I believe that web traffic will be completely independant of BIS (no compression and no encryption). The above quote certainly seems to point in this direction.
    Last edited by VerryBestr; 07-09-12 at 03:18 PM.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-09-12 03:16 PM
    Very good interpretation. I agree
    07-09-12 06:23 PM
    Excellent article, if only he'd got these messages out in the Earnings call.

Anyone notice he says BB10 in January with both full touch and QWERTY?

"In January with the full touch device and the QWERTY coming, I think we will reinstall faith in RIM.
    That's what we're working on."
    Last edited by stewartj1; 07-09-12 at 07:48 PM.
    07-09-12 07:38 PM
    Que the fireworks:

07-09-12 08:16 PM
    But I believe that web traffic will be completely independant of BIS (no compression and no encryption). The above quote certainly seems to point in this direction.
    I agree this might be as you describe. I'll add that it could lead to a cross devices (OSes ?) setting-up.
    07-10-12 02:14 AM
    The part that worries me, is that LTE is leveling off so to speak in the US. Carriers dont want to overload the networks (partially because they cant keep up, partially because people will pay for tiered plans), and they are limiting data again. RIM is indeed upgrading their network to support LTE, and I believe that BIS will see a revamp. How I am not entirely certain of.
    07-10-12 07:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD