I see there is another thread saying Android going fluid.

I think Apple just copied the gesture to go home from BlackBerry:

https://t.co/Rxw81CAbwm

Bests.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-17 11:37 AM
    Did they copy BlackBerry... or WebOS?

I suspect that over time we will see gestures become what us BB10 owners knew they could be.

In the end, it's not who did something first... it's who everyone remembers as being the first.
    dalinxz likes this.
    10-30-17 11:47 AM
    That gesture is originally from webos or is it the paradigma that comes from webos?

Bests.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-17 01:15 PM
    Did they copy BlackBerry... or WebOS?

I suspect that over time we will see gestures become what us BB10 owners knew they could be.

In the end, it's not who did something first... it's who everyone remembers as being the first.
    Reinventing the wheel often is not the best idea. Sometimes something just works and I'm sure apple studied many alternative gestures before landing on the webos/bb10 adopted gesture. How many are there really? Bb10 gestures to me were very natural and ironically were criticised as being too much of a learning curve.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-17 07:33 PM
    Webos gestures were polled by Att to be the most loved OS in 2011. Apple and droid were popular but hated. Not any news about that. Just whatever.

Sent from one of my SE Passports using BB10 superior software.
    12-29-17 09:43 PM
    Bb10 gestures to me were very natural and ironically were criticised as being too much of a learning curve.
    WebOS/BB10 gestures were well thought out and efficient, BUT they were not INTUITIVE - someone who had never used one before would pick it up, tap an icon to launch an app, and then have no idea how to get out of it. There was no on-screen or on-devive indicator of what to do, and most people were lost.

Sure, it's not difficult to LEARN the gestures if someone is there to teach you, but "intuitive" means "a function or method of use that is obvious - usually by sight or touch - to someone with no prior knowledge or experience." The gestures *had to be LEARNED* and you had to know that they had to be learned before you could use the phone. BB did almost nothing to teach this to new users until 2014, and that was too late.

I've said for years already that BB10 should have come with on-screen virtual Home and Back buttons and a tutorial about gestures, and once people were comfortable, they could have switched the buttons off. That would have helped many people transition to gestures without having to do it during another big change (changing phone platforms).

That's actually just the kind of thing that Apple is great at - introducing new concepts to users of every level of tech skills..
    bbrotestant likes this.
    01-05-18 09:12 PM
    tutorial about gestures
    There is a tutorial about the gestures but that is on initial setup but I agree, the gestures were just not explained properly in any promotional material that I ever saw.
    01-05-18 10:34 PM
    Reinventing the wheel often is not the best idea. Sometimes something just works and I'm sure apple studied many alternative gestures before landing on the webos/bb10 adopted gesture. How many are there really? Bb10 gestures to me were very natural and ironically were criticised as being too much of a learning curve.

Posted via CB10
    Bb10 gestures were easy for me as well. If you replace 'ironically' with 'moronically' you would be describing most bb10 critics.

Posted via CB10
    LyoobaBerry likes this.
    01-07-18 10:23 PM
    Bb10 gestures were easy for me as well. If you replace 'ironically' with 'moronically' you would be describing most bb10 critics.
    You're missing the point: people trying them in the store couldn't figure them out, and so they put them down and chose something else. There isn't anything wrong with the gestures per se, but they aren't INTUITIVE (it isn't immediately obvious to any person off the street that you have to use gestures to navigate), and BB didn't have a good way to teach people how to work them at launch, or even for a long time after launch.

I'm not sure it would have made a huge difference in the long run, but they certainly missed out on some low-hanging fruit (people who already had an interest in a BB phone) because of that.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-11-18 01:24 AM
    You're missing the point: people trying them in the store couldn't figure them out, and so they put them down and chose something else. There isn't anything wrong with the gestures per se, but they aren't INTUITIVE (it isn't immediately obvious to any person off the street that you have to use gestures to navigate), and BB didn't have a good way to teach people how to work them at launch, or even for a long time after launch.

I'm not sure it would have made a huge difference in the long run, but they certainly missed out on some low-hanging fruit (people who already had an interest in a BB phone) because of that.
    Every person I had handed my BB10 phone to had no idea how to do anything on it. Hand them an iPhone or Android, and the buttons provide some guidance to guess what to do. I had the same experience at the store before I got my BlackBerry. It is not intuitive but it is convenient once one learns how to use it.
    01-11-18 06:55 AM
    WebOS/BB10 gestures were well thought out and efficient, BUT they were not INTUITIVE - someone who had never used one before would pick it up, tap an icon to launch an app, and then have no idea how to get out of it. There was no on-screen or on-devive indicator of what to do, and most people were lost.

Sure, it's not difficult to LEARN the gestures if someone is there to teach you, but "intuitive" means "a function or method of use that is obvious - usually by sight or touch - to someone with no prior knowledge or experience." The gestures *had to be LEARNED* and you had to know that they had to be learned before you could use the phone. BB did almost nothing to teach this to new users until 2014, and that was too late.

I've said for years already that BB10 should have come with on-screen virtual Home and Back buttons and a tutorial about gestures, and once people were comfortable, they could have switched the buttons off. That would have helped many people transition to gestures without having to do it during another big change (changing phone platforms).

That's actually just the kind of thing that Apple is great at - introducing new concepts to users of every level of tech skills..
    I didn't say that bb10 was intuitive I said it was easy to use. When android came out it was a geek phone not for the masses. It could do things several different ways and felt a little convoluted appealing to people who knew what "open source" meant. Apple is a pretentious device that immediately holds status (as long as you have the latest one) but it was too simple.

Today things are balancing out, Apple has more advanced gestures and Android is no longer a geek phone. BB10 was a great OS and imo it's gestures/hub came at a good time as people were getting fatigued with the same ol' apple/android ways. But BlackBerry was no longer a trusted name so regardless what moves they made it would always be too little too late.

2007 was not ready for gestures like bb10 but I think 2013 was even if it was a little aggressive... blackberry just wasn't the brand to do it.

Posted via CB10
    Emaderton3 likes this.
    01-11-18 09:18 AM
    whatever the location of the BlackBerry is always different.
    01-22-18 03:02 PM
    Every person I had handed my BB10 phone to had no idea how to do anything on it. Hand them an iPhone or Android, and the buttons provide some guidance to guess what to do. I had the same experience at the store before I got my BlackBerry. It is not intuitive but it is convenient once one learns how to use it.
    I used BB10 for three years.... it's been two since I switched to Android. Had to use my Z10 when my other phone went swimming... it took some getting use to again.

Again, if BB10 had come out back in 2007, 2008... no big deal, as everyone was learning something new. And iOS, Android and even Windows wasn't too different. But to release a totally gesture based phone in 2013.... that was hard. Even got them low ratings by some group that did a study on ease of use (Mobile Ergonomics) between mobile OS.
    01-22-18 03:55 PM
    I used BB10 for three years.... it's been two since I switched to Android. Had to use my Z10 when my other phone went swimming... it took some getting use to again.

Again, if BB10 had come out back in 2007, 2008... no big deal, as everyone was learning something new. And iOS, Android and even Windows wasn't too different. But to release a totally gesture based phone in 2013.... that was hard. Even got them low ratings by some group that did a study on ease of use (Mobile Ergonomics) between mobile OS.
    Agreed. And phones worked similarly to tablets in that regard which made it even more foreign.
    01-22-18 03:57 PM

I think 2013 was the right time for more gestures but BlackBerry was the wrong brand. Had they released BB10 sometime before 2010 it probably would have done better but I think the gestures would be too early still. BB10 would have to be released with a home button or probably the tool belt and with no gestures then 2013 they could have gone fluid.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-18 04:58 PM
    I think 2013 was the right time for more gestures but BlackBerry was the wrong brand. Had they released BB10 sometime before 2010 it probably would have done better but I think the gestures would be too early still. BB10 would have to be released with a home button or probably the tool belt and with no gestures then 2013 they could have gone fluid.

Posted via CB10
    Might have been better, but gestures were only one part of the reason 2013 didn't work out for them.

Looking back, smarter move would have been to transition BBOS users... familiar hardware (tool belt) and familiar UI and Apps.

Still say 2013 was simply too late, market was mature at that point and most all users had expectations that BB10 wasn't read to meet. And the thing is most of us understood that in order to make it, BlackBerry had to deliver perfectly. Kevin even did a blog post of what they needed to do with the launch.... they failed on most counts.
    01-23-18 08:13 AM
    Might have been better, but gestures were only one part of the reason 2013 didn't work out for them.

Looking back, smarter move would have been to transition BBOS users... familiar hardware (tool belt) and familiar UI and Apps.

Still say 2013 was simply too late, market was mature at that point and most all users had expectations that BB10 wasn't read to meet. And the thing is most of us understood that in order to make it, BlackBerry had to deliver perfectly. Kevin even did a blog post of what they needed to do with the launch.... they failed on most counts.
    Realistically the app support was the biggest problem not the gestures. If BlackBerry had a competitive app store people would leave/stay/come based on the OS preference not based on if X app was available or that the gestures were too odd. BB10 is a great OS but it is crippled without apps.

Posted via CB10
    01-23-18 08:45 AM

I think even if Blackberry delivered perfectly, the result would have been the same. By 2013, iOS and Android were too entrenched. Certainly if Blackberry had a perfect launch, they would have sold some more phones, but not enough to displace iOS or Android, and I suspect that is what had to happen. There are lots of things in the world that you can't have more than 2 major competing ideas and fall into natural oligopolies, smartphone OSes is probably one of them.
    01-31-18 02:45 AM