Hello, I've been lurking for a few days and I can see there are a lot of helpful people on here, so I'm hoping someone can help me

So, after reading about the new betas and debating in my mind and reading some some, I decided it would be safe enough to try installing the latest 4.0.5.46 on my Curve 8320. Everything was going smoothly until the Blackberry Desktop manager crashed in the middle of installing the software. Now my Blackberry boots to a plain black-and-white screen, at the top it says "BlackBerry Platform 2.7.0.63" and and an error box pops that says "Uncaught exception java.lang.NullPointerException." Once I click okay on the error box, I've got options I can scroll through that correspond to some of the menu options in the OS like "AddressBook," "Alarm," "Calculator," etc. but all of the options cause errors and I can't do anything except scroll through the options.

When I plug in the Blackberry to the computer, the Blackberry Device Manager seems to find it and it is an available option from the connection options in the Blackberry Desktop Manager, but the Desktop Manager will not actually connect(the "Device Connected" indicator stays on "None")

Is there a way to get my device to boot to that "507" screen to allow another attempt at the installation? Please tell me one of you smart oldbies can help

EDIT: I found some instructions on this wonderful site for trying to recover my blackberry: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/

Trying them now.
    Last edited by Shinkinrui; 06-29-08 at 09:55 PM.
    06-29-08 09:46 PM
    Try this if the instructions you have are different and do not help.

BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com
    06-30-08 09:18 AM
    Good Luck pal. Hope everything works for you back to normal.

I am using .46 beta on my 8320 with T-Mobile with No Issues.
    06-30-08 09:49 AM
    Welcome to CB and good luck. If you are able to wipe your BB and you have a back up from your failed OS update I would just try totally clearing it out and starting all over new DM install and everything.
    06-30-08 09:57 AM
    Thanks for the responses and suggestions

Using the tutorial I found, I was able to get .46 installed and I was loving it, I really was. Youtube, video camera, improved browser, WOW I can't wait.

Unfortunately, I had to downgrade. I was really sorry to have to do it, but the my curve kept crashing on incoming calls. After studying was was going on, it seemed the the infamous memory leak problem was occuring with me. Keeping the phone on standby and locking the keypad, I would check the memory every hour or so and I noticed the available program memory kept dropping. Calls would be fine as long as my available memory was over 14 or 15 megs, but once it got down to around 12 or 13, when someone called, after talking for about 4-5 seconds the phone would reboot itself.

I might make another try at installing it after I get back from a trip I'm taking to California, especially since so many people seem to be doing just fine with it.

VizagDude, I hope you don't mind if I drop you a PM, I'd like to ask a couple questions
    Last edited by Shinkinrui; 07-01-08 at 07:10 AM.
    07-01-08 06:47 AM
    @Shinkinrui: same here. .46 was crashing constantly, on incoming and outgoing. i went back to .42 hoping it would show the icon and give alerts for pending voice messages. i thought it was working in .42, but it still isn't. maybe the bis upgrade last weekend has impacted it.
    07-01-08 08:45 PM
    @Shinkinrui: same here. .46 was crashing constantly, on incoming and outgoing. i went back to .42 hoping it would show the icon and give alerts for pending voice messages. i thought it was working in .42, but it still isn't. maybe the bis upgrade last weekend has impacted it.
    a nice remedy for your problem is YouMail - Cell Phone Voice Mail with Personalized Greetings and Online Retrieval
    07-01-08 08:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD