12-18-13 03:09 PM
47 12
tools
    Another Chicago Tribune columnist laments Blackberry. Back in October I posted a thread about a Trib columnist who wrote that they were "Wistful, but not wanting, over Blackberry's decline." Earlier this month BB30000 posted the thread "LA TIMES Rips Blackberry." I saw the same story in the Chicago Tribune. The Chicago Tribune owns the LA Times.

Blackberry, if you read this you can not let this BS go unanswered. I've got some pretty thick skin but I myself can not take it anymore. What is going on here in the US? I'm guessing a collective cluelessness about Blackberry but probably not as clueless as Blackberry's marketing department.

Bidding farewell to technologies of yore
    Barbara Brotman
    December 16, 2013

Dear PalmPilot,

I bet you didn't expect to hear from me.

Or, really, to still exist.

But there you are at the back of my desk, plugged into your cradle, fully charged and ready to spring into service in case it's ever 2006 again.

I forgot to unplug you.

For years.

In fact, I forgot all about you. No offense meant. But with all the advances in cellphones

Wait maybe you don't know what a cellphone is.

But never mind. That brings me to the reason I remembered you. I just got an iPhone!

You may not be as excited as I am. But my new iPhone's arrival got me reminiscing about predecessors like you, and the excitement you once engendered, the miracles we thought you wrought.

I reached behind my computer monitor, pushed aside the piles of papers, and slid you out of your cradle.

It all came back. That stylus I had to use to write on the screen with. Those special strokes I had to use to form letters.

And the charming way the screen would frequently slip out of whack, leaving me tapping the stylus to no effect until I figured out how to reset it.

In your day, Palm, you were amazing.

"Remember how excited we were that it synced your contacts?" a cubiclemate said as I tapped around my old friend. "You could carry around everyone's phone number."

And our calendars, with reminder alarms. And a calculator, an expense log, games, a memo screen you could write on in regular handwriting and later be able to read maybe half of every letter it was incredible, at the time.

I tapped through a list of books I wanted to read seven years ago; I played a game of Pac-Man so slow it was like moving the stylus through molasses.

But that calendar? It's not full-color beautiful, but it's still beautifully simple.

Thanks for your techno-wizardry, Palm, even if it's been long surpassed.

I'm going to unplug you now. Farewell.

Dear BlackBerry,

So how have you been?

OK, I know how you've been.

And you're probably not really thrilled to hear how much I love my new iPhone.

But you were the next stop on my technology journey after my PalmPilot. And now that I've had two smartphones since I whined that I needed apps, I know the hard truth:

When it comes to writing text, BlackBerry, you remain king.

Your keyboard has never been matched. That firm click when I pressed a letter; the certainty that I had, indeed, pressed that exact letter; the speed I could achieve without sacrificing accuracy it made writing emails a breeze.

And not just writing emails, BlackBerry. Tribune reporters have written entire stories on their BlackBerrys. I'm not sure many are writing on their iPhones. When one colleague who made the switch had to write a story recently from the road, she resorted to longhand.

Hats off to you, BlackBerry friend, and thanks for everything. I miss you still.

Except when I want to Google something.

Dear myTouch,

I bid you farewell with mixed feelings. On the one hand, you were my post-BlackBerry first smartphone. You introduced me to the world of touch screens and apps.

But on the other hand, myTouch, it wasn't a very good introduction. There are apparently many fine good Android phones; you just weren't one of them.

Your unresponsive screen, which I would jab at repeatedly and ineffectually; the occasional hourslong waits for my email box to refresh; the slow-motion Google searches that left me waving you around in the air desperately while the iPhone jockey next to me was already reciting from Wikipedia it was like a glimpse of how good a smartphone could be, if only it were another smartphone.

I tried to find your quirks charming. Maybe you just had a mind of your own, I thought when I searched for the Dollar General website and you sent me to the U.S. Postal Service instead. Maybe you were trying to make sure I kept up with friends, I thought when you took it upon yourself to place random phone calls to my contacts.

And you definitely didn't want me to write anything. Whether I used your touch screen or slide-out keyboard, everything I wrote was riddled with typos and midsentence Upper case Letters.

Your quirks just weren't that charming.

Still, you got some smartphone jobs done. Thanks, I guess.

But you were no PalmPilot.

Dear Franklin Planner,

You have been my paper planner for years.

You have been my old-school friend. I have been writing in your pages by hand, with a pen since before smartphones, before my BlackBerry, before my PalmPilot.

At the end of every year, I store the year's pages in binders, making an archive of notes and phone numbers that I can search for years to come.

No phone calls. No camera. No portability, unless I want to carry a pretty hefty backpack.

And now

Now I just bought another year's refill.

No goodbyes, Franklin Planner. Your simplicity, your low-tech reliability I'll never give you up. It's still you and me, together forever, even as I head into my iPhone future.

Which apparently incorporates the past. Because a folder has appeared in my new iPhone containing the instructions on how to enter text and a list of handheld basic tips

For PalmPilot

So don't feel bad about being unplugged, PalmPilot. In my heart, and in my iPhone, you live on.

blbrotman@tribune.com

Copyright 2013 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC
    12-16-13 01:59 PM
    The author was harder on Android than BB, if that means anything.
    12-16-13 02:10 PM
    What can you say really.
    I only read the Dear Blackberry section... and can this be disputed? This is the Chicago tribune, location in the USA, where no one there outside of the crackberry family has any idea of the potentials within BB10 or let alone that it even exists. heck from the sounds of it, the authors last bit of reference was probably a device running OS6.something or another.
    it's been almost a year here in Canada that OS10 has been on the streets, which means it's been far less for you folks from further south.
    No marketing, no market shares = ignorance to what's out there.
    I can't blame the guy, this is the perception of blackberry, regardless of what the new devices can do...
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    12-16-13 02:13 PM
    Honestly, how would you stop a biased media figure? Haven't you heard only a fool starts a fight with a business that buys ink by the barrel? The best thing to do is ignore them and be happy yourself. Helping them spread their drivel only gives them greater success.
    kbz1960, LP_Rigg and anon1727506 like this.
    12-16-13 02:13 PM
    He actually praised all the key points of a Legacy Berry, so I kinda like this one
    There wasn't much marketing for OS10 tbh. Some people haven't even heard of it!

Posted via CB10
    h20work, Saiga, 21stNow and 4 others like this.
    12-16-13 02:19 PM
    He actually praised all the key points of a Legacy Berry, so I kinda like this one
    There wasn't much marketing for OS10 tbh. Some people haven't even heard of it!

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, it was pointing out only good things.

Guess people are looking for biased reporting
    m1a1mg, eking3030, 21stNow and 4 others like this.
    12-16-13 02:27 PM
    This is a non-tech reporter - if she doesn't know anything about BB10 is that her fault or BBRY's?
    12-16-13 02:32 PM
    The author praised BB for keys features BB is loved for. The only "bad" thing mentioned is the lack of apps. That's not even bad, it's 100% the truth.

You want them to stop the positive posting?
    techvisor and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    12-16-13 02:43 PM
    I really don't see why the OP is so upset. Everything they wrote about the BlackBerry was pretty positive. Certainly better than the backhanded comments and outright negative comments regarding the other products.

Additionally no mention of spinning clock, bricking or any other thing that so many complain on here about. I think the writer actually was a happy BlackBerry owner.
    12-16-13 02:44 PM
    If this is the worst thing today you can find about BB then it was a slow media day and BB wins I think. I swear some of you only look for bad in things when there was far more positives in this piece. I guess the overall article isn't the best to set the mood but still the BB part wasnt what I expected to see.
    12-16-13 03:23 PM
    I really don't see why the OP is so upset. Everything they wrote about the BlackBerry was pretty positive. Certainly better than the backhanded comments and outright negative comments regarding the other products.

Additionally no mention of spinning clock, bricking or any other thing that so many complain on here about. I think the writer actually was a happy BlackBerry owner.
    Sure, it was pretty positive. Although I'm not sure what she meant by "except when I want to Google something." What irks me is the lamenting. Lamenting the old OS is one thing, not mentioning Blackberry has moved on to something far superior and productive, unlike the other three in the article, I find troublesome. What is the perception of Blackberry you take away from the column? If I'm a businessperson in an Alpha+ city such as Chicago and I read this article or the "Wistful" one I'm going to think negatively about Blackberry. Blackberry is writing off the consumer market because they sucked at informing people about BB10 and the slick hardware. So Blackberry ends up losing professional end user market too?
    12-16-13 03:43 PM
    The part about "except for when I wanted to Google something" references the pre- OS7 browsers which plagues our beloved devices.

It was faster for me to call someone and have them Google a search result for me rather search for it myself lol.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-16-13 03:58 PM
    The part about "except for when I wanted to Google something" references the pre- OS7 browsers which plagues our beloved devices.

It was faster for me to call someone and have them Google a search result for me rather search for it myself lol.

Posted via CB10
    Oh! I had a Bold 9000...
    12-16-13 04:09 PM
    Dont stop a good thing...it was positive stuff about Legacy mostly...now lets get someone news media to write/report some positive things about BB10...OP I suggest a change in title to reflect an IF ONLY idea perhaps???
    12-16-13 04:19 PM
    There wasn't anything negative in there at all! Older Blackberrys had terrible browsers and there weren't many apps, that's just the truth. She even praised the keyboard, and communications experience while subtly dissing the iPhone for basically not being nearly as productive or easy and accurate to type on. She even thanked the product and admitted that she misses using it. That segment of the article actually does a better job at marketing a BB feature than the "marketing department" itself.
    12-16-13 04:22 PM
    Yeah... this could have been way worse (like the Palm bit). It reinforces the 'commonly accepted fact' that the BlackBerry and its keyboard are the best for composing.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 04:24 PM
    Palm doesn't live on in her iPhone, at least the palm supported early forms of flash. Lol

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10460981-1.html

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    12-16-13 04:26 PM
    There wasn't anything negative in there at all! Older Blackberrys had terrible browsers and there weren't many apps, that's just the truth. She even praised the keyboard, and communications experience while subtly dissing the iPhone for basically not being nearly as productive or easy and accurate to type on. She even thanked the product and admitted that she misses using it. That segment of the article actually does a better job at marketing a BB feature than the "marketing department" itself.
    Someone needs to send her a Q10 I think. Then wait and see what she writes.

Posted via CB10
    Unbiased Tech likes this.
    12-16-13 04:29 PM
    Someone needs to send her a Q10 I think. Then wait and see what she writes.

Posted via CB10
    I'm sure she would absolutely love it, especially being a journalist.
    12-16-13 04:33 PM
    But that was all in keeping with the number one and two priorities of that browser.... maintaining rigid security and conserving your data plan!
    12-16-13 04:52 PM
    I've seen much worse to get heated about. And there were still people saying it was nothing. This really is nothing. Someone send that writer a Q10. Or really show them and send a Z30.
    12-16-13 05:14 PM
    The author is either a puppet of propaganda who is ignorant enough to use an outdated iPhone or a paid shill. My sg4 makes the iphone5 look like a vic20. You really have to be clueless and brainwashed to use an outdated tiny 4 inch screen that does even have NFC. Lol 4inches. ANY OTHER phone beats the iphone5 be it bb10 or WP. Apples outdated and old ios is not in the same league or category as android. I know a lot of ex brainwash people who woke up and dropped the outdated and old iPhone for mostly android phones and they can not believe how pathetic and outdated their iPhone was to other phones. The power of propaganda / marketing on the weak minded.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 05:28 PM
    Let me get this straight, he bought a IPhone? Can someone tell this ***** that it's not 2010 no more and that many smartphone has surpassed IOS...including BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    12-16-13 05:52 PM
    Let me get this straight, he bought a IPhone? Can someone tell this ***** that it's not 2010 no more and that many smartphone has surpassed IOS...including BlackBerry!

Posted via CB10
    In your opinion. For the author, the iPhone is for her.

If you actually read the article, her main (and only it seems) complaint is about Apps. Which app store has that covered? The one on her device. Which one doesn't have it covered (but is growing)? The one on your device.

Different strokes for different folks.
    techvisor, m1a1mg, 21stNow and 2 others like this.
    12-16-13 06:00 PM
    Mr Chen shouldn't allow this bad press , they need a good public relationship to stop the bleeding and bad market sentiments .

Actually it's quite simple .

Bring back bis option.
    Shut down xbbm platform until they really have a superior product .

I would be forced to buy another bb 10 product . Bummer .
    12-16-13 07:00 PM
47 12