10-11-19 09:53 AM
41 12
tools
    Sms is pretty secure until your device is lost, then again, most individuals discard the SIM and factory reset... (once they discard the sim it is secure. xD

Typed on my BlackBerry passport, via freedom mobile DC-HSPA+/LTE
    01-06-19 02:17 AM
    the issue with all of that is that we live in a world where I feel less and less unsecure about hackers "freelance" and more and more about GVT.

When you look at what happen with Apple refusing to unlock some terrorist phone... it seems that Apple is making a bad move. on the other side, they are selling phones in China... and there is no way they would be allowed to do so if the government had no access to people phones and data.

I'm hoping some day, Blackberry only cooperate with a list of democratic GVT and make the phone impossible to unlock otherwise.
    whatnow00 likes this.
    01-06-19 10:55 AM
    I don't know about then, but certainly now one wonders.

China-Made Smartphone Weather App Stole Data From 10 Million Global Users
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...n-global-users

"TCL, a Chinese producer of consumer electronics, has been collecting data without permission from mobile phones that have downloaded its free weather forecast smartphone app. This app has been downloaded more than 10 million times by users around the world since it was released in December 2016.

TCL Communication Technology Holdings, a subsidiary that manufactures smart devices and develops mobile apps, is one of TCL’s core businesses. TCL Communication also owns French phone manufacturer Alcatel and Canadian phone brand Blackberry. In 2016, TCL sold 68.77 million cell phones in 160 countries and regions.

Upstream Systems found that TCL’s app collects users’ geographic locations, email addresses, and International Mobile Equipment Identity, a unique ID assigned to each authenticated cell phone, and keeps the data on TCL servers in China.

The security firm also discovered that the weather app surreptitiously subscribed users of TCL’s low-cost Alcatel smartphone in Brazil, Malaysia, Nigeria, and other developing countries to its paid virtual-reality services. About 100,000 Alcatel phones were automatically subscribed, which would have billed the users more than $1.5 million had the firm not discovered it.

After the Wall Street Journal made inquiries to TCL, the company updated the weather app in November 2018. The app stopped automatically subscribing users, according to Upstream. But the data collection continues."

It's time to go to a feature phone.
    01-08-19 01:24 PM

"TCL, a Chinese producer of consumer electronics, has been collecting data without permission from mobile phones that have downloaded its free weather forecast smartphone app. This app has been downloaded more than 10 million times by users around the world since it was released in December 2016.

TCL Communication Technology Holdings, a subsidiary that manufactures smart devices and develops mobile apps, is one of TCL’s core businesses. TCL Communication also owns French phone manufacturer Alcatel and Canadian phone brand Blackberry. In 2016, TCL sold 68.77 million cell phones in 160 countries and regions.

Upstream Systems found that TCL’s app collects users’ geographic locations, email addresses, and International Mobile Equipment Identity, a unique ID assigned to each authenticated cell phone, and keeps the data on TCL servers in China.

The security firm also discovered that the weather app surreptitiously subscribed users of TCL’s low-cost Alcatel smartphone in Brazil, Malaysia, Nigeria, and other developing countries to its paid virtual-reality services. About 100,000 Alcatel phones were automatically subscribed, which would have billed the users more than $1.5 million had the firm not discovered it.

After the Wall Street Journal made inquiries to TCL, the company updated the weather app in November 2018. The app stopped automatically subscribing users, according to Upstream. But the data collection continues."

Was this news reported in the home of Crackberry? Lol!!

Posted via CB10
    01-09-19 01:47 AM
    Was this news reported in the home of Crackberry? Lol!!

Posted via CB10
    This is not a pre-installed app on BBMo devices.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-09-19 01:56 AM
    So let me see if I understand this...the company that makes supposedly secure GooBerry devices under the Blackberry brand is caught red-handed stealing user data, in complete violation of every possible privacy and security practice known to man....and your response is that the app is not pre-installed so everything's fine?

conite my friend, in case you are ever in need of employment and cannot get a job at Blackberry Mobile due to it no longer existing, the folks at Facebook Marketing/PR may have an opportunity for you....
    Last edited by TrumpetTiger; 01-09-19 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Edited to better reflect the overall point.
    01-09-19 06:03 AM
    So let me see if I understand this...the company that makes supposedly secure GooBerry devices under the Blackberry brand is caught red-handed stealing user data, in complete violation of every possible privacy and security practice known to man....and your response is that the app is not pre-installed so everything's fine?

conite my friend, in case you are ever in need of employment and cannot get a job at Blackberry Mobile due to it no longer existing, the folks at Facebook Marketing/PR may have an opportunity for you....
    I was not making any grand proclamation - just simply stating that this app is not found on any BBMo device.

BlackBerry themselves package the software.
    01-09-19 08:54 AM
    This is already one reason more to make an article....my 2 cents!!
    01-09-19 09:20 AM
    This is already one reason more to make an article....my 2 cents!!
    Fair point.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-09-19 09:37 AM
    Well yes, TCL did something wrong, but it's your fault for installing an app that prompts you to access alll those requirements (GPS, System, Storage, etc).

You should think twice before installing a "weather app" like this, or for the matter of fact, any app that looks suspicious.

But I have to agree to you - it is unacceptable what TCL did with this app. It really does not strengthen the trust in a company that proclaims to build "the safest android" .
    01-09-19 10:58 AM
    Well yes, TCL did something wrong, but it's your fault for installing an app that prompts you to access alll those requirements (GPS, System, Storage, etc).

You should think twice before installing a "weather app" like this, or for the matter of fact, any app that looks suspicious.

But I have to agree to you - it is unacceptable what TCL did with this app. It really does not strengthen the trust in a company that proclaims to build "the safest android" .
    True enough.

But TCL is a HUGE company. BlackBerry Mobile is very much their own animal.

But, yes, this was dumb.
    01-09-19 11:21 AM
    Sounds a bit like horse plop to me.
    During the London riots (2011) that were orchestrated largely on BBM , I cant help thinking that the security agencies would have loved to have had some inside info, but no, London burned and the authorities were like a headless chicken.
    03-08-19 03:35 PM
    Sounds a bit like horse plop to me.
    During the London riots (2011) that were orchestrated largely on BBM , I cant help thinking that the security agencies would have loved to have had some inside info, but no, London burned and the authorities were like a headless chicken.
    That was 8 years ago. A lot has changed.
    03-08-19 03:49 PM

I missed that article but it certainly cements my feelings about BlackBerry mobile. I will not buy a phone from them. That is outrageous.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-19 04:03 PM
    There is not such a thing as REAL privacy on the internet.
    Security is just meant as term to keep off "criminals" - for the rest there is nothing privat (if you mention NSA, CIA, BND etc. or even carriers) if you use regular "consumer hardware".

I mean, if it was that way - why would Obama needed to use a "special" BlackBerry instead a stock one - it was tweaked in all areas.

Some devices share more information and others less.
    But all share some core information about you.

If you are concerned about your communications or shared data with using standard hardware or carriers - just develop a encryption program yourself, with at least 512bit encryption.
    All governments are able to crack any 256bit encryption by now.

So use your own encryption key on your "sending device" and decrypt it on your "receiving device". All public solutions are pretty good against (most) hackers - but that's it.

You are even able to use Google Cloud services if you highly encrypt (with your own key) your data, upload it - but I think you gonna do that, agencies will have a better eye on you.
    10-11-19 09:46 AM
    There is not such a thing as REAL privacy on the internet.
    Security is just meant as term to keep off "criminals" - for the rest there is nothing privat (if you mention NSA, CIA, BND etc. or even carriers) if you use regular "consumer hardware".

I mean, if it was that way - why would Obama needed to use a "special" BlackBerry instead a stock one - it was tweaked in all areas.

Some devices share more information and others less.
    But all share some core information about you.

If you are concerned about your communications or shared data with using standard hardware or carriers - just develop a encryption program yourself, with at least 512bit encryption.
    All governments are able to crack any 256bit encryption by now.

So use your own encryption key on your "sending device" and decrypt it on your "receiving device". All public solutions are pretty good against (most) hackers - but that's it.

You are even able to use Google Cloud services if you highly encrypt (with your own key) your data, upload it - but I think you gonna do that, agencies will have a better eye on you.
    Governments seemed to be quite concerned with BBM and related Blackberry Limited services. There were some who were blocking BBL from doing business in their countries due to their inability to crack Blackberry-to-Blackberry data.

(This is BB10 and BBOS of course...I have yet to hear if anyone who has any issue whatsoever with getting to data if you use any flavor of Android.)

Posted via CB10
    10-11-19 09:53 AM
41 12