10-14-12 11:01 AM
68 123
tools
    Although we have seen and heard most of this but none the less a very good read..enjoy!

BlackBerry 10 review | Operating systems Reviews | TechRadar

Verdict

Although the operating system is in development, we must say that we were impressed with how smooth and slick the interface felt under out fingers seamlessly zipping around without fuss.
    BlackBerry assured us that is smooth experience would still be present in the final product, thanks to the clever integration of the HTML 5 system, which optimises the performance of the software. We certainly hope they're right.
    There are plenty of features of BB 10 that are exciting - the gestures work very, very well after a few minutes, the powerful messaging ecosystem is still there and even the on screen keyboard is great.
    What does strike you about the new OS is how the phone is so integrated - Facebook, Twitter, Email are all available, connected to your friends or easy to share to throughout the phone.
    It's a much more complex OS than iOS or Windows Phone, but there are only so many ways to re-invent the smartphone wheel; in the case of BB 10, RIM has gone for usable power over rows of easy to use icons.
    It's a bold move, and one technophiles will love. If the hardware is decent too, there may be enough BB fans out there willing to use the finger-flicking platform... but with so many things to learn, it will take some serious and quick eduction to get users up to speed.
    10-10-12 03:27 PM
    Great article! Thanks for sharing...
    10-10-12 03:42 PM
    but with so many things to learn, it will take some serious and quick eduction to get users up to speed.
    This could turn off a lot of users. Not a lot of people are interested in having to "learn" how to use a phone, which is one of the reasons iOS is so popular. Very easy and simple to use. Guess we'll have to wait and see just how much "education" one needs in order to use the phone.
    10-10-12 04:16 PM
    Playing with BB10 on the Dev Alpha, I think the gestures are quite intuitive once you get the hang of it. It beats trying to find options in an Android app or figuring out how the back button works on an android app. I don't use iOS devices and so can't really comment...
    10-10-12 04:20 PM
    Playing with BB10 on the Dev Alpha, I think the gestures are quite intuitive once you get the hang of it. It beats trying to find options in an Android app or figuring out how the back button works on an android app. I don't use iOS devices and so can't really comment...
    Trying to find options? Hit the menu button. How the back button works? Hit the back button. Not really sure what you find difficult about that..
    red_devil_fan_1999 likes this.
    10-10-12 04:33 PM
    iOS:
    Touch the screen = start doing anything
    Hit the button = stop doing everything

Very simple and anyone can figure it out.
    Playbook is simpler yet by only using the bottom bezel

Android is the least intuitive, but is still a favourite, not everyone wants the controls to be so minimal
    Blackberry 7.1 is a nightmare of menus, submenus, and settings
    I love the tweaks, but others....
    10-10-12 04:41 PM
    I've always found androids menus ackward to use. I do prefer my playbook (no button) setup due to the natural feel. I hope bb10 will have that same feel and won't complicate things with gestures in menus or something odd.
    10-10-12 04:55 PM
    Trying to find options? Hit the menu button. How the back button works? Hit the back button. Not really sure what you find difficult about that..
    For basic smartphone functionality how is BB10 different than a IOS, simply replace IOS button with a bottom up swipe from the bezzel, by doing so you will always end up on the home screen where ever you are like on IOS. Swipe right for apps and left for notifications. How complex is that to understand? The remaining BB10 gestures are only required for the advanced users.

I cringe when I have to explain someone about android's homescreens, app drawer, menus etc.
    10-10-12 05:14 PM
    There is a learning curve to anything new. Do people expect to get in a car and drive like a pro the first time? Did they jump on their pc and instantly know how to do everything? Maybe iOS is that easy but I bet there is a learning curve to doing some things on it.

Edit: Case in point from an iphone user in another thread.

Sounds like he downloaded a bunch of apps himself and didn't know how to delete them. Common problem among iPhone users who are new. I admit that I didn't know how to delete an app until I called my sister. With BB, it's easy. Just highlight the app, select delete.

Every BB I've owned on three major US carriers - AT&T, Verizon and Sprint - have come packed with bloatware. Verizon is the worst, but Sprint was a close second. Sad thing was, one of the apps I actually wanted to use on my Sprint phone but couldn't get it to work because CDMA speeds and coverage are both laughable on Sprint.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 10-10-12 at 05:49 PM.
    10-10-12 05:19 PM

I cringe when I have to explain someone about android's homescreens, app drawer, menus etc.
    Yes. Swiping left or right for different screens is extremely confusing for most people. And hitting the App Drawer button to access your apps is also very painful to explain. And I won't even go into the menus with most people, because a button for menus is also very confusing. /sarcasm

Bottom line is, most people I know who tried the Playbook, found it initially very confusing, to the point they just put it down and cursed it. But hey, they're just average consumers. If BB10 is anything even remotely close to that, then RIM should be worried. But maybe they'll offer up some courses at Best Buy or Home Depot.
    10-10-12 05:41 PM
    Personally, I find iOS hard to use in certain aspects.

If your talking about touch app to open and press home to close, that's easy enough. (it's annoying that when you reopen an app, it opens to where you last were. example. appstore. If I click on the home button when I just finish updating an app, going bak into the appstore will bring me back to updates and then I have to press back to go back to the main page.)

When you try to change the settings is where it gets confusing...at least to me. The settings menu in iOS is not that user frienly. You have multiple panels to go through to change setting on certain things. I don't even know how to turn off notifications properly. Took me awhile to figure that cause I wanted to turn off the damn audible sound whenever my wife's iPad got a new email.

Also trying to figure out iTunes is tough. I gave up. Spent better part of the time trying to figure out how to upload photos. when I finally figured that out, you can't delete photos uploaded through iTunes on the iPad and the only way to delete them is to re-sync it back to iTunes, I don't call that 'easy'.

Android...that's another kettle of fish. I got an Iconia and used it for 1 day and got frustrated with trying to find where to change the settings. It was gone within a week. Lucky I won that thing and didn't pay anything for it.

This could be just me though.
    Last edited by narci; 10-10-12 at 06:01 PM.
    10-10-12 05:50 PM
    Sorry, Android is not a lot of fun. Certain apps work fantastically well, sure, but navigation is not particularly intuitive at all. iOS is marginally better.

Seriously, BB10 has some genuine, very intuitive advantages. And is easier to use single-handedly.
    bitek, melb_me and diegonei like this.
    10-10-12 06:04 PM
    Sorry, Android is not a lot of fun. Certain apps work fantastically well, sure, but navigation is not particularly intuitive at all. iOS is marginally better.

Seriously, BB10 has some genuine, very intuitive advantages. And is easier to use single-handedly.
    There is nothing intuitive about arbitrary gestures. They do make single handed use easier on BB10 though.
    10-10-12 06:13 PM
    Some on this forum continue to go out of their way to question, downplay and outright undermine the BB........I just don't understand it.....
    Jake Storm likes this.
    10-10-12 06:26 PM
    This could turn off a lot of users. Not a lot of people are interested in having to "learn" how to use a phone, which is one of the reasons iOS is so popular. Very easy and simple to use. Guess we'll have to wait and see just how much "education" one needs in order to use the phone.
    Yes unfortunately the other platforms have thrived on bringing smart phones to dumb people. Not having a home button, either physical or virtual, will surely confuse the moronic masses out there that probably are the same people that have blink clocks on the appliances in homes because setting them is too hard!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry App!
    10-10-12 06:38 PM
    ios gets boring. ios 4 ios 5 ios 6 etc. etc. etc. rows of icons.
    10-10-12 06:46 PM
    Yes. Swiping left or right for different screens is extremely confusing for most people. And hitting the App Drawer button to access your apps is also very painful to explain. And I won't even go into the menus with most people, because a button for menus is also very confusing. /sarcasm

Bottom line is, most people I know who tried the Playbook, found it initially very confusing, to the point they just put it down and cursed it. But hey, they're just average consumers. If BB10 is anything even remotely close to that, then RIM should be worried. But maybe they'll offer up some courses at Best Buy or Home Depot.
    I use the 5 year-old test. My 5 year-old is an Angry Birds demon and we have a few tablets in the house - 2 PlayBooks and 1 Android (Gingerbread) tab. He has no trouble getting to his game from anywhere on the PlayBook or getting back to it if he swipes to aggresively and loses it from the screen. On the Android tab, however, from the home screen he can hit the app tray and load it up, but if he loses it (e.g., hits an in-app add or in-app purchase option) and ends up in the browser in in Play, he has no idea how to get back (specifically, short press or long press on the home button or single or double press) - at that stage I always have to help.
    10-10-12 06:46 PM
    Guess we'll have to wait and see just how much "education" one needs in order to use the phone.
    That's what the introductory tutorial videos are for.
    10-10-12 06:55 PM
    You're absolutely correct, it is a very good read. Sums up everything we know so far quite nicely. It is also fair and unbiased.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    10-10-12 07:11 PM
    I'm still unable to use an iphone. Really.
    10-10-12 07:17 PM
    I suppose using 4 or 5 fingers on the ipad is intuitive and everyone knows it with no reading or instruction on it
    10-10-12 07:29 PM
    There is nothing intuitive about arbitrary gestures. They do make single handed use easier on BB10 though.
    I dispute that they're "arbitrary". I would define that as being different just for the sake of being different, and that's not what I see with BB10 or even with QNX on the Playbook.

To me, it's wonderfully consistent: Scroll up from the bottom to go "home" (no matter whether you're in portrait, landscape, or upside down), scroll side-to-side to switch apps; it's consistent and simple and most iPad users I've shown my Playbook to have remarked on it.
    kbz1960, KiLuMaNaTi and Jake Storm like this.
    10-10-12 07:44 PM
    I dispute that they're "arbitrary". I would define that as being different just for the sake of being different, and that's not what I see with BB10 or even with QNX on the Playbook.

To me, it's wonderfully consistent: Scroll up from the bottom to go "home" (no matter whether you're in portrait, landscape, or upside down), scroll side-to-side to switch apps; it's consistent and simple and most iPad users I've shown my Playbook to have remarked on it.
    Most gestures, regardless of device are completely arbitrary. If I had to pick any gesture that was even somewhat intuitive, it would probably be the swipe from the side to cycle through applications. Swiping from the top and bottom though, is totally arbitrary. The 5-finger pinch on ipad, ridiculous. The swipes on BB10 look even more complicated. Changing direction, bottom to middle to side...None of it is unusable, just a steeper learning curve that some people will undoubtedly shy away from.
    10-10-12 08:17 PM
    Most gestures, regardless of device are completely arbitrary. If I had to pick any gesture that was even somewhat intuitive, it would probably be the swipe from the side to cycle through applications. Swiping from the top and bottom though, is totally arbitrary. The 5-finger pinch on ipad, ridiculous. The swipes on BB10 look even more complicated. Changing direction, bottom to middle to side...None of it is unusable, just a steeper learning curve that some people will undoubtedly shy away from.
    Oh no the OS wasn't designed for the lowest common denominators of user! Whatever will we do without a dumbed down UI? Someone may have to watch a couple minutes of video, or read something to get started!

I for one look forward to using BB10 and love using the Playbook because it isn't a dumbed down smart phone UI. The primitives can have the home button while I embrace progress. Plus I've always found that if you try to engineer around stupid, someone makes a better .
    10-10-12 09:04 PM

Just read the manual before you handle the phone!!!!
    Masahiro and newcollector like this.
    10-10-12 09:15 PM
68 123