07-18-14 08:09 AM
56 123
tools
    These threads are always the same, probably because little if anything is known about the employee or why they left. So it usually goes like this:

1. OMG, [any employee] is leaving. This must be bad.
    2. I looked up their job title online as part of my analysis and here's what it tells me.
    3. Well, the [former employee's department] obviously wasn't doing a good job for the company so good riddance. Let's hope John Chen continues to clean house.
    4. Maybe someone else will step in who is better.
    5. [Employee's new company] must be pretty desperate if they are trying that hard to raid Blackberry talent. They must be in decline.
    LOL. Exactly. Brain drain is almost never good, except when it happens to BBRY.

Hopefully, BBRY has folks that can step in, and won't lose more valuable people.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    07-05-14 01:39 PM
    Maybe off-topic, but does CrackBerry publish *any* news that isn't originally sourced from N4BB these days?

I remember a time when CrackBerry was *the* source and first call for all things BB... and that hasn't been my experience for months.
    N4BB is first because it usually starts as a rumour and CrackBerry is trying to make articles with facts.
    There is a lot of crap that comes from N4BB that turns out to be false.

Another thing is that CB used to be in talks with BB but since Chen they haven't been, except at big events.
    Everything is so cracked down now which is probably why we don't get much from the past admins like kevin. Nothing really interesting is happening these days to excite us consumers.
    Last edited by khehl; 07-06-14 at 10:34 AM.
    Bla1ze, r0v3rT3N and reeneebob like this.
    07-05-14 02:05 PM
    I know what most of them have done. I live in waterloo with a lot of BlackBerry / ex BlackBerry employees.

So I do get a lot of inside info..

Posted via CB10
    I live in the area also and know a lot of current and former as well. It isn't as dire as you suggest. And some good people have left but given other good people a chance to rise up... or be replaced by external good people

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 02:31 PM
    No one is irreplaceable. If that were the case many companies would go under every time someone resigned or died. There is always someone out there with new ideas or a refreshing way to do things. That's progress and the way businesses grow.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 03:31 PM
    As long as blackberry keeps moving forward it doesn't really matter. #keepmoving

10.3.0.296 on ZedOneZero
    acovey likes this.
    07-05-14 03:39 PM
    These threads are always the same, probably because little if anything is known about the employee or why they left. So it usually goes like this:

1. OMG, [any employee] is leaving. This must be bad.
    2. I looked up their job title online as part of my analysis and here's what it tells me.
    3. Well, the [former employee's department] obviously wasn't doing a good job for the company so good riddance. Let's hope John Chen continues to clean house.
    4. Maybe someone else will step in who is better.
    5. [Employee's new company] must be pretty desperate if they are trying that hard to raid Blackberry talent. They must be in decline.
    You left out the...

'Never heard of him.'

Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again.... this is ONE person who got 'caught' leaving, you have no idea how many actually quietly leave w/o being caught (Look how long Vivek was gone before Kevin broke the news) and honestly, no one has time to keep track of them. You'd be forever writing nothing but people leaving.

I could name at least 3 other people more important than this guy who have left, but respectfully I won't because they wanted to go unannounced and I have better things to do than troll LinkedIn all day long. Go ahead, search the BlackBerry employee listings on LinkedIn if you think its important. I'm sure someone will be willing to write it up, people love depressing (or what could be perceived as depressing) BlackBerry news. Clearly.

Sorry, we're not looking to be the TMZ of BlackBerry news. That position seems to be filled by others.

(Not specifc. directed at you early2bed)
    07-05-14 03:50 PM
    I would say that the new BlackBerry seems to have many opportunities available for those willing to take on a challenge.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 04:53 PM
    As an outsider, and spectator of current and past events, I can't think of anyone who would have been a better fit for BlackBerry, then John Chen. He should have been there when Mike and Jim resigned. The people inside obviously have the benefit of knowing more than the public. I wonder what the view is on him inside out. He seems like he's a "your in or, your out" type of guy. "GET IT DONE oooR......FCUK OFF"............................. That second quote was me.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 05:29 PM
    No problem. Blaze will take over
    I dunno why BBRY hasn't hired me as an all around advisor yet. Honestly, I think I could get more done in a day then some of these people have in years if what I said was actually put into action instead of just getting caught up in paperwork. But I suppose that's the thing, a lot of these folks likely want to do great work as well but can't due to 'the chain of command' involved in corp. ladders.

I wouldn't even need some fancy title. I just want the ability to say 'This is broke and it shouldn't be, whose job is it to fix it and can we get them on doing so?' The other day the URL to BlackBerry Link for Mac was broke. Why? BBM Channels online portal right now is broke for some Chrome users. Why? These are things that should not be happening.

It's like they need someone out there spotting these things and solving them when they happen because even as small as they sound in the grand scheme of things, they're important to end users. Problems that pop up on the forums, issues with their sites etc etc. But whatever, I'm just some unshaven, balding blogger. What do I know.
    07-05-14 06:14 PM
    I agree. If I walked into his Job, I would start with the janitor (no joke),

"clean and clear, all the time, got it".

" I don't want to see you strolling the halls with out a mop or broom"

Then get all employees, and I mean all, " I don't care if your Prem Watsa, clean your ****, work stations, desk, office, etc, no **** lying around. Vacuum the carpets, windex your window."

Then organize the people and processes or work flow, making sure everything and everyone is working within a sequence, 1,2,3..etc. Question everyone, who I see at anytime as to what they are doing. I don't mean ask, I mean question," I need answers".
    No showing up with a coffee in your hands during work. Break is at break time, which is exactly 15 minutes, then back to work. And so on, right up the line.

It's all those little things, that need to change first and work your way through the chain using the same principles through out. I'm not kidding. "If your to big to sweep the floor, we don't need you." and that goes for everyone.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by abwan11; 07-05-14 at 07:03 PM.
    07-05-14 06:44 PM
    it must be a high salary offer...
    07-05-14 07:58 PM
    They do not trust Chen. This is what I heard

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 09:23 PM
    I dunno why BBRY hasn't hired me as an all around advisor yet. Honestly, I think I could get more done in a day then some of these people have in years if what I said was actually put into action instead of just getting caught up in paperwork. But I suppose that's the thing, a lot of these folks likely want to do great work as well but can't due to 'the chain of command' involved in corp. ladders.

I wouldn't even need some fancy title. I just want the ability to say 'This is broke and it shouldn't be, whose job is it to fix it and can we get them on doing so?' The other day the URL to BlackBerry Link for Mac was broke. Why? BBM Channels online portal right now is broke for some Chrome users. Why? These are things that should not be happening.

It's like they need someone out there spotting these things and solving them when they happen because even as small as they sound in the grand scheme of things, they're important to end users. Problems that pop up on the forums, issues with their sites etc etc. But whatever, I'm just some unshaven, balding blogger. What do I know.
    You need direct access to their QA Manager, the person who can assign bugs to developers and ensure resources are directed accordingly.

Maybe a LinkedIn troll can find you that person?

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 10:11 PM

Ever applied or contacted anyone at BlackBerry about this? Honest question.

Posted via CB10
    07-05-14 11:15 PM

Amen! If they hire you, your title should be "The Revenue Guy"
    07-05-14 11:41 PM

Well said!
    07-05-14 11:50 PM
    Chen needs to purge. Get rid of old blood and people who contributed to its fall with their actions or inactions.

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175/Telus
    07-06-14 12:05 AM
    The days of an employee staying with one company for an entire career are gone. Tis the nature of business these days. Each position is a note on the resume and then you move on.

Someone hungry and "hopefully" talented fills the old position and we move along.

With regards to Mr. Chen and with apologies to The Who....Here's the new boss...not the same as the old boss.

Hopefully the customers "won't get fooled again".
    07-06-14 12:20 AM
    I'm not worried. I'm pretty sure john Chen can find a good enough replacement

Be proud - BlackBerry by Choice
    07-06-14 05:13 AM

if you ever get a direct some direct contact with developer relations hopefully you will let me know personally :P

in house apps need to be fixed before further notice in my books. haha
    07-06-14 09:59 AM
    That's true, the question though is why are so many top level employees leaving. Normally this would be looked apone as a response to internal problems or a company going under.

Posted via CB10
    Or, perhaps, a new CEO flexing his muscles. These sort of things happen all the time, especially when a company is in transition like BlackBerry is. A new CEO comes aboard and he/she wants people with the same drive and vision that he/she has. This inevitably leads to an inordinate number of people leaving, being fired or being asked to seriously consider a new career elsewhere.

I honestly don't know what the fuss is all about.
    07-06-14 07:01 PM
    Ever applied or contacted anyone at BlackBerry about this? Honest question.

Posted via CB10
    Without getting too personal, yes.
    07-06-14 08:14 PM
    Old guard...probably saw the writing on the wall when the entire senior management has changed....move on....
    07-06-14 09:23 PM
    That's true, the question though is why are so many top level employees leaving. Normally this would be looked apone as a response to internal problems or a company going under.

Posted via CB10
    Top level employees are leaving because there is a new CEO who won't allow for complacency. Since from the people I have seen leaving, these are some of the same who were in positions of management while Blackberry fell. The new CEO is replacing a lot of people with people who he knows and has a track record of success..
    07-06-14 09:47 PM
    Good and bad is rather subjective.

I also have inside info on the "bad" seniors and employees. Let's just say the inbreeding and subcultures in the old RIM was pretty sickening. Hopefully Chen continues to clean house and changes the culture/morale there.

For me, I see the departures as old regime members that are unwilling to change under Chen. They know Chen and his new executive team are sharp pros.

Posted via CB10
    This is exactly the case. These old regime member were part of the problem and they refuse to change and need to go. Chen is looking to succeed so let's continue with out with the old and in with the new.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-14 09:49 PM
56 123