03-22-14 08:24 AM
84 1234
tools
    Little rains make vast oceans.

Good news but these are very small numbers...

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    03-12-14 06:05 AM
    And we can only hope that all these "little armies" of new users and business' who are migrating to BB10 will see what a capable and slick OS it really is, and pass this info onto family members, contacts, friends, etc.

I see no negative here.
    03-12-14 06:08 AM
    Definitely! Like how BlackBerry started as a company!

And we can only hope that all these "little armies" of new users and business' who are migrating to BB10 will see what a capable and slick OS it really is, and pass this info onto family members, contacts, friends, etc.

I see no negative here.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 06:14 AM
    Sorry to report....

I'm with TD Bank and they have just rolled out their BYOD strategy and I'm sad to say, it's a move away Blackberry. Their MDM is based on Good Technologies however, the Corporate supplied devices remain Blackberries and introduces BB10 devices. That said, employees can also choose from a list of Android or IOS devices and receive a flat $40 per month, with the difference made up by the employee. I suppose they've though this through, but I can't see how they will be able to ensure employees don't fill up THEIR phone's with versions of Candy Crush and Twitter feeds, but I guess other companies currently manage this situation. Interestingly, BBerry Balance will be disabled on all Corporate supplied phones.

Sorry folks, but that's the situation here.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 03-12-14 at 02:24 PM.
    03-12-14 12:51 PM
    I thought the canadian government was turning BYOD with iPhone or Blackberry. It's been all over the forums
    03-12-14 01:15 PM
    Awesome news, O Canada!

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 01:15 PM
    Well, you can't get to one million without counting the number one.

Posted via CB10
    I really hope you are eight.

Posted via CB10
    xBURK likes this.
    03-12-14 01:53 PM
    City of Vancouver has upgrade the legacy devices to BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    Do u have a link or source of this? Would like to pass it on to the Life In Vancouver channel guy....

Flicked out via Zed10
    03-12-14 02:21 PM
    Blackberries became popular when business types passed them down to their wife and kids. I know this because I've been doing it since 1999 (wife and 3 kids) Let's hope a whole new wave of teens will be rockin BBM and BB10's soon!!

Posted via CB10
    JesseBabe23 likes this.
    03-12-14 03:54 PM
    My mom who works for the Canadian government (environment Canada to be specific) got an email saying that they're upgrading their existing legacy devices for BB10 ones.

According to Wikipedia (not a great source I know haha) they have around 7000 employees. This is great news for BlackBerry I think personally!

Do you guys think that this is a sign that the other parts of the government will be upgrading also?

Posted via CB10
    That's great news. A couple of weeks ago, a friend who works for another branch of the Feds said that the BB10 roll out was delayed due to some issues with the security on the BES side.
    03-12-14 04:40 PM
    My wife works for cfia (Canadian food inspection agency), she's suppose to get a q10 soon, so I assume they're transitioning to bb10

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 07:46 PM
    Ontario government as well...about a month ago.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 07:50 PM
    Well, anything that requires confidential information is all BlackBerry. If your some low level flunky, they don't really care as they view your job as temporary. That's reality.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 08:34 PM
    Usually when a company is mentioned in a press release, they have to agree to it first. Can get hairy as legal, branding and other parties want to review and sign off. Many don't find it worth the bother since it benefits the company referencing their purchase more than it does the company themselves.
    Yep - absolutely. Standard procurement contracts will have confidentiality clauses in them.

Brand focussed organisations are very particular about who they are seen to be associated with (so Marketing will often say 'No')

Or.... what's the supplier (BlackBerry in this case) going to do for the end-client? (If my clients go public and get mentioned in a supplier's press release, they expect some serious discounts as part of the deal)
    03-12-14 09:04 PM
    Well, anything that requires confidential information is all BlackBerry. If your some low level flunky, they don't really care as they view your job as temporary. That's reality.

Posted via CB10

Troll

Posted via CB10
    sickyute likes this.
    03-12-14 09:08 PM
    Yes it's great news, on the other hand it's stunning that not more people use Blackberrys. Lots of Heads of State use them including Barry Soetoro who was probably instructed by the Sec Serv 9not the drunk johns like down in Columbia) to use one since it's the most secure.

Apple fanboys seem unconcerned over hacking or having data breached or stolen. My understanding is that an iPhone can bring hundreds of dollars on the black market and are usually stolen and shipped overseas where they are wiped cleaned and resold. Don't know what the procedure is for a stolen Blackberry but I don't think it can be so easily resold.

Bottom Line: If the president and other other high officials think it's imperative to use the most secure type of phone, why wouldn't you have the same concern?
    xBURK likes this.
    03-12-14 09:17 PM
    I thought the canadian government was turning BYOD with iPhone or Blackberry. It's been all over the forums
    What you're referring to is the elected MPs getting the choice for a BB10 device or an iPhone provided to them as MPs. What the OP is speaking of is completely different.

Shared Services Canada, which is the department who oversees all IT for all Federal departments has posted that BB10 is coming to Federal departments. Obviously, its going to the smaller ones first and then will eventually roll to the rest. However, at the rate the government rolls out IT, it'll take a few years.
    03-12-14 09:19 PM
    Sorry to report....

I'm with TD Bank and they have just rolled out their BYOD strategy and I'm sad to say, it's a move away Blackberry. Their MDM is based on Good Technologies however, the Corporate supplied devices remain Blackberries and introduces BB10 devices. That said, employees can also choose from a list of Android or IOS devices and receive a flat $40 per month, with the difference made up by the employee. I suppose they've though this through, but I can't see how they will be able to ensure employees don't fill up THEIR phone's with versions of Candy Crush and Twitter feeds, but I guess other companies currently manage this situation. Interestingly, BBerry Balance will be disabled on all Corporate supplied phones.

I don't understand why they would disable balance, yet allow BYOD. Apparently BlackBerry hasn't done their job explaining how the separation works. If those BYOD devices can connect to a VPN, then it's even more illogical to not allow Balance. Such a policy would also push people to get their own personal device, and at that point, most people would rather get the $40 toward their own device and just use that for both work and personal. I know I would (but it'd be a BlackBerry).
    03-12-14 10:14 PM
    You can also add this...I work at the head office for Loblaws (the biggest grocery retailer in Canada) they just finished rolling out BB10 devices (Q10's and Z10's) the company has over 136,000 full time employees . Just on my estimate and from what I have heard it's in the ball park of 5 thousand devices.
    i found that out last year, all the project managers i've been involved with told me that everyone was given Z10s and Q10s. i guess it was a roll out but all the ones i know have them
    03-12-14 10:18 PM
    I'm with TD Bank and they have just rolled out their BYOD strategy and I'm sad to say, it's a move away Blackberry. Their MDM is based on Good Technologies however, the Corporate supplied devices remain Blackberries and introduces BB10 devices.

[...] but I can't see how they will be able to ensure employees don't fill up THEIR phone's with versions of Candy Crush and Twitter feeds, but I guess other companies currently manage this situation.
    As BlackBerry has pointed-out, "Good is not Good Enough".

The thing is, for a lot of the world, it is - just like all the individuals buying malware-ridden Android devices who don't give it a second-thought.

It will take some more major breaches and more people to wake up to malware on their devices stealing their identity and compromising their bank accounts etc before anyone will give a leap about this stuff.

As an I.T. admin myself, I think BYOD is already imploding amongst many organizations and hopefully clueless managers will figure out before long what a lousy ROI it has.
    03-12-14 10:43 PM
    National Bank of Canada still uses legacy BlackBerry as corporate phones and has a BYOD policy as a "pilot program" for their brokerage division. It uses airwatch

Are they going all corporate with Airwatch ? I don't know.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 10:55 PM
    03-12-14 11:10 PM
    Our company issued a memo that our BlackBerry phones would stop working January 2013.

The old dogs refused to give up their keyboards. The young dudes were happy to get iPhones.

Cut to 2014. Legacy BlackBerry still works, and because those old dogs held out, the iPhone only policy never came to be. We can now have any phone we want. Granted, I had a screaming match with an IT guy the other day trying to hook up a BB10 phone, so things aren't completely rosy. In the end, I found someone who knew the proper settings and my coworker left happy with his new Z10.

I don't know if we're any better off having a mash up of different phones, but it has to be better that employees can use what works best for them.

Anyway, I count it as a win for BlackBerry, still enough die hard fans that they couldn't get squeezed out, no matter how hard our IT department tried.

Posted via CB10
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    03-13-14 02:19 AM
    Granted, I had a screaming match with an IT guy the other day trying to hook up a BB10 phone, so things aren't completely rosy.
    I like my current company for this. They're easy going "BYOD". No screaming. You can get a corporate iPhone or BlackBerry if you want, but they allow your own devices to connect to. They have apps for pretty much everything and sites/apps for the rest.

Took a minute to hook up my Z10 via active sync and works fine. There's a myriad of everything in the office really.
    03-13-14 07:50 AM
    Sorry to report....

Ouch, Good is a terrible product. At least go Fixmo or Mobile Iron if not BES10
    03-13-14 07:55 AM
84 1234