Found this article pretty interesting bc it explains basically what would imply for BlackBerry having access to google apps store (and consequently, google services).
    New Android OEM licensing terms leak; “Open” comes with a lot of restrictions | Ars Technica

abstract
    The most important clause states that "Devices may only be distributed if all Google Applications... are pre-installed on the Device." Google apps are an all-or-nothing affair. If you want Google Maps or the Play Store, you must also take things like Google+ and Google's network location provider. There are two tiers of Google apps, the primary ones listed above, and "Optional Google Applications," a list which includes "Orkut, Google Goggles, Google Earth, Finance, News & Weather, Google Buzz and Google Voice."
    The agreement places a company-wide ban on Android forks, saying OEMs are forbidden from taking "any actions that may cause or result in the fragmentation of Android" and specifically disallows distributing or encouraging a third party to distribute "a software development kit derived from Android."
    02-13-14 11:34 AM
    Nice find! Thanks for sharing

Posted Via CB10 Running On Z10STL100-2 Using OS Version 10.2.1.1925
    rockitnyc likes this.
    02-13-14 11:35 AM
    They're taking down Samsung. Samsung will officially become Google's female dog: either they lick Google's boots or they fall and let other manufacturers shine.

Google reeled people in with the angelic words of "open source", then they grab people with hellish grips that would make Demon King call interpol

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.1925
    bennelong likes this.
    02-13-14 11:40 AM
    So, someone wanna dumb this down for me?

What does this mean for Bb10 in general, and Android OEM's?

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 11:50 AM
    So, someone wanna dumb this down for me?

What does this mean for Bb10 in general, and Android OEM's?

Posted via CB10
    In fact, BlackBerry won't bes - as such - OEM.
    But the principle of distributing apps via Google Play (AFAIK the only way to access googles services) would probably remain the same.
    I have no clue as of date if/when/how google services may be accessible with BB10, just food for thoughts ...
    02-13-14 11:55 AM
    The only official word I've every heard was the BlackBerry was going to allow Android Developers to submit unconverted APK to BlackBerry World and that the new Runtime would allow us to install those APK directly to our device via BlackBerry World. Has there been any other official word on this?? Unless that has changed, I think BlackBerry's plans fit in with Google's Terms of Service.

I know there was some speculation and hope that BlackBerry was working on a "deal" and that we might at one time get the full Android experience with a working Google Play App. I think we are much more likely to see the runtime locked down again and only those APK apps installed via BlackBerry World will work - unless you go through the whole developer key being installed and update every 30 days.
    02-13-14 01:40 PM
    SM, in the mouth of Alec Saunders APKs in BlackBerry World was an absolute no go.

Posted via CB10
    BitPusher2600 likes this.
    02-13-14 01:49 PM
    The only official word I've every heard was the BlackBerry was going to allow Android Developers to submit unconverted APK to BlackBerry World and that the new Runtime would allow us to install those APK directly to our device via BlackBerry World. Has there been any other official word on this?? Unless that has changed, I think BlackBerry's plans fit in with Google's Terms of Service.

I know there was some speculation and hope that BlackBerry was working on a "deal" and that we might at one time get the full Android experience with a working Google Play App. I think we are much more likely to see the runtime locked down again and only those APK apps installed via BlackBerry World will work - unless you go through the whole developer key being installed and update every 30 days.
    You can install any APK you like without any reference to google or their terms of service, it's when you want GAPPS (Play store, gmail, maps) that you have to agree to these terms - they are summarized better on the original site that broke this:

• "Devices may only be distributed if all Google Applications [listed elsewhere in the agreement] ... are pre-installed on the Device."
    • The phone manufacturer must preload all Google Applications approved in the applicable Territory on each device.
    • The phone manufacturer must place Google's Search and the Android Market Client icon [Google Play] ... at least on the panel immediately adjacent to the Default Home Screen, with "all other Google Applications ... no more than one level below the Phone Top."
    • The phone manufacturer must set Google Search ... as the default search provider for all Web search access points.
    • Google's Network Location Provider service must be preloaded and the default.
    02-13-14 01:54 PM
    Cgk, unfortunately not any apk. For many, you need Google services on the device.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 02:00 PM
    Cgk, unfortunately not any apk. For many, you need Google services on the device.

Posted via CB10
    Right - I mean in a legal rather than technical sense.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-13-14 02:26 PM
    None of this is at all new; I've been talking about this for almost a year here.

Any company that wants authorized access to Google Play (i.e., Google's Android Apps & Media store) must be running Google-certified Android, and must pre-install specific Google Android applications on the device. That's been the case for YEARS.

Nothing prevents devs from taking the Android app they built for Google Play and making a version for alternate apps stores, such as the Amazon Marketplace - the devs, not Google, own the app. But Google controls who accesses Google Play and how they get apps from it, and with all of the recent competitive OSs trying to leverage Google Play (and Android apps in general) to cover their own app gaps, and with Samsung trying to skin Android and then replace all of Google's apps with Samsung's apps (which would then allow them to replace the underlying OS without many people noticing), Google has started to step up the enforcement of these policies and has clarified and expanded a few of them.

One of Google's main goals with buying Motorola was to bring Samsung back in line, because Samsung was clearly attempting to replace all of Google's services with their own. Google could have used Moto's patents to kill Samsung's phone business, and after seeing what they were facing, Samsung agreed to back off and, going forward, will put Google's apps front-and-center again and will go much "lighter" on TouchWiz, as part of a patent licensing deal with Google. 2 days after completing that deal, Google sold off Moto's phone business to Lenovo, because the main mission (bringing Samsung back into the Google fold) was accomplished.
    02-13-14 02:49 PM
    None of this is at all new; I've been talking about this for almost a year here.
    We've know this for at least three years since Skyhook but what has changed is that we've never had such a clear look at the actual contracts...
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-13-14 03:40 PM
    Google play was always a long shot. Getting official access to the Amazon app store is not such a stretch. If blackberry can iron out the issues with amazon apps and hammer out a formal deal with them then that will go a long way to closing the app gap.
    02-14-14 09:15 PM
    Google play was always a long shot. Getting official access to the Amazon app store is not such a stretch. If blackberry can iron out the issues with amazon apps and hammer out a formal deal with them then that will go a long way to closing the app gap.
    Yep, official Amazon app store access is the best route. Google will demand an android phone with a BB10 skin on it so that path is never going to happen.
    02-15-14 12:28 PM
    Don't be so sure.

Posted via CB10
    02-15-14 08:01 PM
    Don't be so sure.

Posted via CB10
    Any insider knowledge you would care to share?
    02-15-14 08:21 PM