01-14-14 03:04 PM
233 ... 78910
tools
    I might be splitting hairs here but I'd argue that it's good for users but largely irrelevant to consumers who due to reasons we've run into the ground many times have no interest or inclination to buy a BB10 device and are unlikely to do so regardless of this move due to larger factors. So it's cool for current users but of minor significance beyond that.
    Harsh, but more or less true IMHO. It might be a boon for current users that are inclined to tweak devices, but as surmised, I don't see how it will help move devices.
    richardat likes this.
    11-12-13 10:58 PM
    Harsh, but more or less true IMHO. It might be a boon for current users that are inclined to tweak devices, but as surmised, I don't see how it will help move devices.
    Agreed. As a casual user, when presented with a device that (as far as apps go) might have working versions of all the Android apps, which may or may not get any support for my OS, or, having actual working versions with regular support... I'd go for the one with less uncertainty. Not to mention all the benefits of full access to Google services.
    richardat and JeepBB like this.
    11-12-13 11:29 PM
    What's with all this mess about sideloading and the Google play? Why Blackberry doesn't treat with third party developers and just get decent client apps for the main popular apps and that would cover the problem. Eventhough Android has a million + apps but the really used ones are very few so let's have the selection of the most popular ones and voila.

Posted via my Q10
    11-13-13 02:33 AM
    Why Blackberry doesn't treat with third party developers and just get decent client apps for the main popular apps and that would cover the problem.
    Because not all services allow full third-party apps. Look at the hacks that third-party Instagram apps have to do to upload pictures and videos. And BlackBerry can't officially participate in the development of apps that blatantly violate other companies rules.

Look at banking apps as another example. It may be true that people need only 1-2 banking apps, but we each need different ones. You and I probably don't deal with the same banks. Android has probably 20 - 25 actively maintained banking apps just from the world's major banks alone. Plus many more from second tier and regional banks. People want those.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    allengeorge likes this.
    11-13-13 07:51 AM
    That is a very simple problem to resolve then. All BlackBerry has to do is to offer the app developer to place their apps in BlackBerry App World & share the revenue.

As an app developer they then have nothing to lose. No extra work just extra income.

As users just go to BlackBerry App World download & install the app.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 01:18 PM
    I can display streetview just fine on my Z10 with google maps. Just checked.
    Great. Mine doesn't. It says it can't find an application to display street view. This is not the sort of experience BlackBerry wants customers to have with apps downloaded and installed from the mythical Google Play store app.
    11-13-13 02:28 PM
    That is a very simple problem to resolve then. All BlackBerry has to do is to offer the app developer to place their apps in BlackBerry App World & share the revenue.

As an app developer they then have nothing to lose. No extra work just extra income.

As users just go to BlackBerry App World download & install the app.
    You obviously don't understand anything about app development or support if you believe this.

First, many Android apps aren't going to work on BB10, because they use one of many Google services, which BB10 doesn't support, and can't support.

Second, if a dev places an app in BB World, they then have to SUPPORT that app, AND they have to suffer the ratings system. If you find an app somewhere and sideload it, you do so knowing that there is no official support, and there's no where to give that app a bad rating if it doesn't work for you. A dev cannot be successful if he doesn't support his apps and users and if the reviews for his app are bad - that's simply how these app stores and systems work.

Now, understand that BB devices are not Android devices, and again, many apps use Google services that BB can't support, and there are other major issues as well. The most obvious one being that the Q-series of phones have square (1:1 ratio) screens, which are unique to BB. Android apps are designed for 16:10 ratio screens for the most part, and most apps aren't going to work right on Q-series BB phones, and they certainly won't look right. If a dev puts an app in BB world, he either blocks Q-series devices from downloading it, forcing him to deal with a lot of user complaints OR he's going to have to deal with user complaints that their "BB app" doesn't work on their Q-series BB phone. Either way, it's a big support hassle and will generate negative reviews, giving his company a bad name.

You might not care how this affects developers, but DEVELOPERS CARE. Devs had had 10 months to port their Android apps over to BB. Most haven't done it for the reasons I list above, and that's going to continue to be true going forward.

It's great that BB is going to make it easier to load Android apps directly, but many still won't work, or won't have full functionality, and most devs aren't going to want to risk their reputations and have to deal with the support issues of "officially" putting their apps on BB World.

If BB had the marketshare, then it might be worth going the extra mile to either do a real port of their Android app, or even make a true Cascades-based BB10 app, but with sub 1% marketshare, most devs aren't interested in the BB market.
    11-13-13 03:17 PM

If BB had the marketshare, then it might be worth going the extra mile to either do a real port of their Android app, or even make a true Cascades-based BB10 app, but with sub 1% marketshare, most devs aren't interested in the BB market.
    Well, to be fair, things do get easier with 10.2 with a more recent API level. You do still have the Google services and the square screen issues, though.

But for me another huge issue is that most of our loyal BB customers still won't be happy because the overwhelming majority of our BB customers are on OS7. This does nothing for them.

So it's not just an issue of serving a tiny market, it's the fact that an Android port only covers a little sliver out of that small market.

So the cost/benefit is better with 10.2, but it's not quite a no-brainer yet.

11-13-13 03:32 PM
    The dream.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 04:07 AM
    Well, now with the latest info coming out about BB opening up the runtime to more of Google's services and APIs, perhaps the idea was just misplaced as to where they are going.

Maybe we won't get Google Play itself, but will get the services.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 12:53 PM
    I can't wait to see what comes of this.
    Does it represent a new acceptance by integrating with existing systems?
    Possibly a sound tactic in order to regain traction in the market and by doing so, increase awareness of BlackBerry services

Z10 via CB10
    11-15-13 04:12 AM
    But for me another huge issue is that most of our loyal BB customers still won't be happy because the overwhelming majority of our BB customers are on OS7. This does nothing for them.

So it's not just an issue of serving a tiny market, it's the fact that an Android port only covers a little sliver out of that small market.

So the cost/benefit is better with 10.2, but it's not quite a no-brainer yet.

Great I don't see that as a problem, the reason being that these people will probably be due for an upgrade soon & then this would be a compelling reason for them to upgrade to a BlackBerry 10 instead of another BlackBerry OS7 device or other platforms.

The main problem for BlackBerry then is to change the mind set that people think that they are bankrupt or dead. Then people will stop avoiding this phone.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 07:19 PM
    Great I don't see that as a problem, the reason being that these people will probably be due for an upgrade soon & then this would be a compelling reason for them to upgrade to a BlackBerry 10 instead of another BlackBerry OS7 device or other platforms.

The main problem for BlackBerry then is to change the mind set that people think that they are bankrupt or dead. Then people will stop avoiding this phone.

Posted via CB10
    The upgrade theory hasn't held true thus far. BBRY hasn't done a good job of converting it's most ardent users.

I wonder if targeting this subset of users (legacy BBOS users) would not be money well spent.
    11-22-13 05:38 AM
    The upgrade theory hasn't held true thus far. BBRY hasn't done a good job of converting it's most ardent users.

I wonder if targeting this subset of users (legacy BBOS users) would not be money well spent.
    I have wondered myself why not a bigger push for them. I'd burn through those written down Z10's with an upgrade incentive program for legacy users if I was at them helm.
    11-22-13 09:39 PM
    I have wondered myself why not a bigger push for them. I'd burn through those written down Z10's with an upgrade incentive program for legacy users if I was at them helm.
    Exactly. At least try to lock them in... don't get.

Personally, I don't like where this is pointing to.
    bp3dots likes this.
    11-22-13 09:43 PM
    Exactly. At least try to lock them in... don't get.

Personally, I don't like where this is pointing to.
    Exactly, I am a 9930 plus playbook and shareholder guy. I will pick up a GalaxyS4 if I find a good deal this black Friday unless BlackBerry can give me a reason not too. They need to sell off-contract CDMA phones as well. There are a lot of us on Verizon, do something to keep us!
    11-23-13 08:50 AM
    Come to think of it I guess this is only a band aid fix for the situation. Just thought of a solution that will really help the situation. That is :

1. BlackBerry need to come out with a compiler for app developers to use & it has to be really easy to use.

2. This compiler has to be able to compile 2 types of apps at one time. 1 for Android & the other for BlackBerry.

3. This compiler will be able to submit the completed app to both Google play & BlackBerry App World at the same time. So no hassle for developers

Do the work once & get the income from 2 different sources.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 10:32 AM
    Come to think of it I guess this is only a band aid fix for the situation. Just thought of a solution that will really help the situation. That is :

1. BlackBerry need to come out with a compiler for app developers to use & it has to be really easy to use.

2. This compiler has to be able to compile 2 types of apps at one time. 1 for Android & the other for BlackBerry.

3. This compiler will be able to submit the completed app to both Google play & BlackBerry App World at the same time. So no hassle for developers

Do the work once & get the income from 2 different sources.

Posted via CB10
    Not a bad idea. In fact, i think BBRY had offered to do this a while back (convert apps for devs).

But you have, in theory at least, just increased the workload for that developer. So, if the ROI isn't there (and judging by the lackluster response by developers) a developer might be hesitant to pull in more support costs that may not be justified by increased revenue. The developer may look to BBRY to cover this, and there is only so much BBRY can do IMHO. App ransoming at its finest.

But I like the idea on paper.
    Loc22 likes this.
    11-23-13 11:40 AM
    Not a bad idea. In fact, i think BBRY had offered to do this a while back (convert apps for devs).

But you have, in theory at least, just increased the workload for that developer. So, if the ROI isn't there (and judging by the lackluster response by developers) a developer might be hesitant to pull in more support costs that may not be justified by increased revenue. The developer may look to BBRY to cover this, and there is only so much BBRY can do IMHO. App ransoming at its finest.

But I like the idea on paper.
    I really hope this comes to fruition as I really believe that this will bring more apps to BlackBerry & close the app gap in the most ideal manner.

Posted via CB10
    11-23-13 02:21 PM
    yeah,it's a great development if you want google to have your information and turn it over to the NSA.
    (edited because first post sounded like I was trying to start an argument :-)

+1 from me, to the Google Play Store on BB10 idea!
    01-08-14 11:36 AM
    Kitkat is just coming out for Android (launched on Nexus 5 and other devices just waiting for it).

Anyone looked at the disclaimer that BlackBerry put in 10.2.1 when you install android apps? I find this language VERY interesting:

"....while BlackBerry operating system software is capable of running applications that are designed to run on the Android operating system, this application may make use of services that are not supported by the BlackBerry operation system, or that the BlackBerry operating system may replace with the alternate services (e.g. mapping services)."

The last sentence is very interesting because it seems to say that BB10.2.1 will just redirect unsupported services to a corresponding service on a BB10 platform. For instance, developers won't need to change the mapping module in their android app anymore because BB10 will just swap it to something that is different from Google maps when an app wants to use Google maps.

These changes mean BB10.2.1 will support even more Android apps. Now they just need to persuade the people to put them into app world (or we'll just sideload them. hehehe).
    I thought the way they worded that last line was very interesting too :-)
    01-08-14 11:44 AM
    I thought the way they worded that last line was very interesting too :-)
    Yes, BlackBerry intends to implement Open Maps in-lieu of Google Maps.
    01-09-14 03:28 PM
    Google is a software company that is in the business of selling software. Just like Microsoft, if another company comes knocking wanting to buy their software then thats what they will do. Every android phone out there buys their software from Google. Samsung does it better than anyone and they are looking at doing their own OS because if you look it up, Samsung doesn't make as money on their phones as they would like to because they have to pay Google. When not if Samsung goes away from Google that will leave a big hole for Google, BlackBerry although no where near the size of Samsung is another paying customer.

Posted Via Q10 Super Phone
    01-10-14 12:12 AM
    Google is a software company that is in the business of selling software. Just like Microsoft, if another company comes knocking wanting to buy their software then thats what they will do. Every android phone out there buys their software from Google. Samsung does it better than anyone and they are looking at doing their own OS because if you look it up, Samsung doesn't make as money on their phones as they would like to because they have to pay Google. When not if Samsung goes away from Google that will leave a big hole for Google, BlackBerry although no where near the size of Samsung is another paying customer.

Posted Via Q10 Super Phone
    Not really. Microsoft is a software company that sells software . Google is an ADVERTISING company that sells software to track people's habits so they can more effectively target their advertising. That's what Android and Chrome and Gmail are all about...... advertising, not software. Google doesn't profit much from software as it does advertising.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 08:03 AM
    Every android phone out there buys their software from Google. Samsung does it better than anyone and they are looking at doing their own OS because if you look it up, Samsung doesn't make as money on their phones as they would like to because they have to pay Google.
    Last I heard, Google licenses Android to manufacturers for free. Has that business model changed?
    01-10-14 08:06 AM
233 ... 78910