01-14-14 03:04 PM
233 ... 678910
tools
    Android is suppose to launch kitkat OS update to the jelly bean. I could be wrong though. Maybe on 10.2.1 will already include the kitkat runtime. Who knows.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 01:39 AM
    Kitkat is just coming out for Android (launched on Nexus 5 and other devices just waiting for it).

Anyone looked at the disclaimer that BlackBerry put in 10.2.1 when you install android apps? I find this language VERY interesting:

"....while BlackBerry operating system software is capable of running applications that are designed to run on the Android operating system, this application may make use of services that are not supported by the BlackBerry operation system, or that the BlackBerry operating system may replace with the alternate services (e.g. mapping services)."

The last sentence is very interesting because it seems to say that BB10.2.1 will just redirect unsupported services to a corresponding service on a BB10 platform. For instance, developers won't need to change the mapping module in their android app anymore because BB10 will just swap it to something that is different from Google maps when an app wants to use Google maps.

These changes mean BB10.2.1 will support even more Android apps. Now they just need to persuade the people to put them into app world (or we'll just sideload them. hehehe).
    app_Developer likes this.
    11-12-13 02:28 AM
    Google play sounds good, but would be better, if bb10 could get the same apps that are on Google play but native ones.

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 02:31 AM
    The ability to install run any .apk in BB10 is great. I hope all apps work well. BB has made the installation very easy, kudos to them for that.
    11-12-13 07:23 AM
    If 10.2.1 has the KitKat runtime that means it can emulate the Android apps with a much smaller memory and processing footprint. This could be the catalyst for all the stuff we've been hearing. In short, if Kit kat can run apps on 512mb ram, you could run the Android apps on a BB10 device seamlessly without affecting system performance.

This post was crafted in a couple of seconds on the awesome BlackBerry Z10 keyboard
    11-12-13 07:31 AM
    What's stopping us from side loading Amazon or Appbrain app stores and rocking out with a great third party market? With 10.2.1 apk install that is...
    11-12-13 10:05 AM
    What's stopping us from side loading Amazon or Appbrain app stores and rocking out with a great third party market? With 10.2.1 apk install that is...
    Amazon's app store may work. But I doubt Appbrain would, as last I recall (it's been ages since I've used it) it's just a portal/gateway to the Play Store.
    11-12-13 10:39 AM
    Amazon's app store may work. But I doubt Appbrain would, as last I recall (it's been ages since I've used it) it's just a portal/gateway to the Play Store.
    Would Amazon allow this?
    11-12-13 10:40 AM
    Use Amazon App Store and 1Mobile to Install Android Apps to BlackBerry 10 - N4BB

Google Play may not be coming... but the Amazon Store and 1Mobile are here with 10.2.1.1055!
    11-12-13 10:53 AM
    Would Amazon allow this?
    I don't know why not. Their appstore app is free to download from Amazon. I have never really looked heavily into their ToS, but last I recall it's pretty benign.
    11-12-13 10:54 AM
    Use Amazon App Store and 1Mobile to Install Android Apps to BlackBerry 10 - N4BB

Google Play may not be coming... but the Amazon Store and 1Mobile are here with 10.2.1.1055!
    Amazon might not be as receptive.

I don't know why not. Their appstore app is free to download from Amazon. I have never really looked heavily into their ToS, but last I recall it's pretty benign.
    Yep... have to have a look. I have no real idea.
    11-12-13 10:57 AM
    I doubt Amazon would really care since they're a retailer looking to make sales. They utilize Android merely to have more storefronts to peddle their products, hence the reason their own Kindle Fire products are priced to barely cover a loss (and sometimes not even that). However; If there is anyone who would be less than receptive to the idea, it would be BBRY themselves since they shouldn't be too keen on the prospect of BBWorld losing app sales revenue.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    11-12-13 11:04 AM
    Yep... have to have a look. I have no real idea.
    Just because there is a "leak" that allows us to download these stores and the apps in them directly. Does not mean that this has all been ironed out with Amazon/Google. Just that BlackBerry was testing it for some reason, and it has gotten out into the wild.

This might be a sign of what will come, or it might be a one time deal that doesn't see any future development.

As for BBWorld... desperate times call for desperate measures.
    11-12-13 11:06 AM
    I doubt Amazon would really care since they're a retailer looking to make sales. They utilize Android merely to have more storefronts to peddle their products, hence the reason their own Kindle Fire products are priced to barely cover a loss (and sometimes not even that). However; If there is anyone who would be less than receptive to the idea, it would be BBRY themselves since they shouldn't be too keen on the prospect of BBWorld losing app sales revenue.
    This makes sense. Amazon is a retailer first.
    11-12-13 11:09 AM
    Just because there is a "leak" that allows us to download these stores and the apps in them directly. Does not mean that this has all been ironed out with Amazon/Google. Just that BlackBerry was testing it for some reason, and it has gotten out into the wild.

This might be a sign of what will come, or it might be a one time deal that doesn't see any future development.

As for BBWorld... desperate times call for desperate measures.
    Fair point.
    11-12-13 11:10 AM
    Amazon may not care, but this could be an annoyance for their developers if they're getting support issues from BB10 users.

If BB10 users download and even pay for the app from amazon, it's hard to deny support. It's not as clear cut as the sideloading case. On the other hand, it's hard to provide proper support if you don't have the various BB10 devices around to test.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-12-13 11:19 AM
    Amazon may not care, but this could be an annoyance for their developers if they're getting support issues from BB10 users.

If BB10 users download and even pay for the app from amazon, it's hard to deny support. It's not as clear cut as the sideloading case. On the other hand, it's hard to provide proper support if you don't have the various BB10 devices around to test.

So do all developers have all the different Android Phones and tablets for testing?

Not sure how hard it would be to to get BlackBerry emulators for Android Developers....
    11-12-13 12:06 PM

It's arguable that they will point towards "Apps can be used only on mobile devices that use the Android platform and meet certain other technical requirements." and say BB10 is outside of the vague and unknown technical requirements.
    11-12-13 12:21 PM
    So do all developers have all the different Android Phones and tablets for testing?

Not sure how hard it would be to to get BlackBerry emulators for Android Developers....
    I haven't used 10.2.1 yet, perhaps it is now close enough to be just another Android phone from our perspective. But I'm not so sure, what happens when BB10 users call our customer service line complaining that they never get our balance or fraud alerts, for example.

I liked the commitment which Saunders made to us at the first BB10 conference. He told us they would make it easy for us to port, while still respecting our right to control distribution.

If we want to support BB10, this makes it easier. That's great. But it should still be our choice to make.

11-12-13 12:25 PM
    I haven't used 10.2.1 yet, perhaps it is now close enough to be just another Android phone from our perspective. But I'm not so sure, what happens when BB10 users call our customer service line complaining that they never get our balance or fraud alerts, for example.

I liked the commitment which Saunders made to us at the first BB10 conference. He told us they would make it easy for us to port, while still respecting our right to control distribution.

If we want to support BB10, this makes it easier. That's great. But it should still be our choice to make.

Things change.

The new "leak" also has a built-in flashlight... that just killed a couple hundred developers right there.

I wouldn't worry just yet. This might simply be someone at BlackBerry playing around with the Runtime and they left a few things "unlocked" in one internal test release. BlackBerry might NOT have any intention of going forward with this.
    Last edited by scalemaster34; 11-12-13 at 12:57 PM.
    11-12-13 12:47 PM
    I seriously don't understand what's the hipe on accessing Google Play store or installing APK files directly, it is certainly convenient but I think everyone is missing the main issue here: not all Android apps run on BB10 and they never will, and a lot of the ones that do have crippling problems... From the 20+ apps I would like to run and have tested myself only 3 run without issues and this is using a development token. Even if BlackBerry and Google get into some kind of agreement for Google Play, they would have test apps one by one to make sure everything works fine and then put some kind of filter to only show tested / certified apps, then all this work for what, another app store with only 50 apps from the thousands available on Android?
    11-12-13 01:33 PM
    I seriously don't understand what's the hipe on accessing Google Play store or installing APK files directly, it is certainly convenient but I think everyone is missing the main issue here: not all Android apps run on BB10 and they never will, and a lot of the ones that do have crippling problems... From the 20+ apps I would like to run and have tested myself only 3 run without issues and this is using a development token. Even if BlackBerry and Google get into some kind of agreement for Google Play, they would have test apps one by one to make sure everything works fine and then put some kind of filter to only show tested / certified apps, then all this work for what, another app store with only 50 apps from the thousands available on Android?
    Apparently 10.2.1 eases API restrictions and remaps Google-specfic calls to BB10 system components. So chances are a larger majority of apps will work on 10.2.1
    anon1727506 likes this.
    11-12-13 01:39 PM
    Convenient?

I seriously don't understand why so many think that having the option to easily install major apps could be anything but good for consumers. I can tell you that Sideloading why fairly simple does take to tech abilities. But with the newer locked Runtimes, trying to get a debug token, convert apks and then sideload them... well that takes a whole different level of abilities that and average user is NOT going to attempt.

IF BlackBerry wanted to "get in bed" with Android, they could make apps work much better than the do now. So if you got your 20+ apps to all work, would that excite you?
    11-12-13 02:31 PM
    Apparently 10.2.1 eases API restrictions and remaps Google-specfic calls to BB10 system components. So chances are a larger majority of apps will work on 10.2.1
    If this is true then that's the game changer and bigger news right there for sure. Not so confident they'll be able to make it work as good as you make it sound though, will have to see it to believe it... I mean, come on, they even have problems with their own native apps working after upgrades and developers having to fix them (10.0 to 10.1 to 10.2, etc.) and you pretend every single Android app will run directly out of Google Play without any developer intervention?, I'm not so confident in BlackBerry's development abilities especially after all the work force and cost reductions they have had to do lately, all the bugs in BBM for iPhone and Android are proof of it...

Convenient?

I seriously don't understand why so many think that having the option to easily install major apps could be anything but good for consumers. I can tell you that Sideloading why fairly simple does take to tech abilities. But with the newer locked Runtimes, trying to get a debug token, convert apks and then sideload them... well that takes a whole different level of abilities that and average user is NOT going to attempt.

IF BlackBerry wanted to "get in bed" with Android, they could make apps work much better than the do now. So if you got your 20+ apps to all work, would that excite you?
    Yes, convenient, until they can prove all Android apps can run without problems the delivery method is just a secundary convenience problem. Please remember that whole process you describe there is only officially meant to be used by developers and testers, there is already an official way to distribute and release Android apps through app world which is no more complicate or easier than what Google Play on BB10 would be from the user point of view, is is not that used because it requires developers intervention and Android developers do not want to waste their time on BlackBerry until the platform proves itself with sales numbers, specially after all the news and rumors about the company. So the only way for a Google Play store on BB10 would make sense is if no developer intervention is required and all thousands of apps are immediately available right out of the bat...

Don't you see what a support, marketing and image nightmare would be to officially allow users to download and install apps that do not work and have problems? plus they would now also take your money for them too???? wow, they would have mobs with torches in Waterloo a couple of days after its release...
    11-12-13 04:35 PM
    Convenient?

I might be splitting hairs here but I'd argue that it's good for users but largely irrelevant to consumers who due to reasons we've run into the ground many times have no interest or inclination to buy a BB10 device and are unlikely to do so regardless of this move due to larger factors. So it's cool for current users but of minor significance beyond that.
    richardat and allengeorge like this.
    11-12-13 04:45 PM
233 ... 678910