01-14-14 02:04 PM
233 ... 56789 ...
tools
    You guys do realize with balance there won't be a problem with android apps right...?
    That makes sense. If an IT dept buys BES10 and BB10 phones is Balance enabled by default?

IT admins can be such a narrow-minded group sometimes, I hope they don't just lock the phones down entirely. That's what they would do in our bank (we don't even have BES10)

Also, can BlackBerry offer Balance to people who don't have BES? If they did that and scored Google Play, and brought their hardware up to date a bit, I'd could definitely see buying a Z50 or whatever they call that.
    11-11-13 05:50 PM
    That is the ideal situation but when that fails (and we all know it hasn't gone as well as hoped) do you cling to waiting for the ideal situation to occur or do you plug the hole with something that works?

Posted via CB10
    That was what the runtime (which I though was brilliant at a point) was supposed to do as well.

In my admittedly limited discussions with techie types, the vibe is that it may not make BB10 more attractive to folks that are not already on the platform... and these are not folks that possess a dislike of the platform.
    11-11-13 05:51 PM
    yeah,it's a great development if you want google to have your information and turn it over to the NSA.
    NSA got your info if they want it. Google or no Google.

Childish to think otherwise. In your case though, I'm sure they don't want it...
    11-11-13 06:07 PM
    That makes sense. If an IT dept buys BES10 and BB10 phones is Balance enabled by default?

IT admins can be such a narrow-minded group sometimes, I hope they don't just lock the phones down entirely. That's what they would do in our bank (we don't even have BES10)

Also, can BlackBerry offer Balance to people who don't have BES? If they did that and scored Google Play, and brought their hardware up to date a bit, I'd could definitely see buying a Z50 or whatever they call that.
    if IT lock out google play when used for balance.. noone will have a problem... switch from business to personal and all you apps fromm google play will be there
    11-11-13 06:15 PM
    if IT lock out google play when used for balance.. noone will have a problem... switch from business to personal and all you apps fromm google play will be there
    But is it possible for the IT folks to lock down the phone such that there is no personal side at all? In other words, can they disable balance? That's what I meant.
    11-11-13 06:20 PM
    That was what the runtime (which I though was brilliant at a point) was supposed to do as well.

In my admittedly limited discussions with techie types, the vibe is that it may not make BB10 more attractive to folks that are not already on the platform... and these are not folks that possess a dislike of the platform.
    Are you kidding me? Google Play may be the most important factor in determining whether or not BlackBerry can continue to sell phones.
    11-11-13 06:23 PM
    Are you kidding me? Google Play may be the most important factor in determining whether or not BlackBerry can continue to sell phones.
    So was the runtime. And touchscreen devices. And BB10 as a whole. And yet, legacy BBOS seems to be bringing in the money.

Not saying it's not good. Just saying that there are a LOT of manufacturers that have access to Google Play and are struggling. I caution folks to -- assuming this actually happens -- not assume this will be the Holy Grail.

We'll see.
    11-11-13 06:51 PM
    11-11-13 07:03 PM
    I caution folks to -- assuming this actually happens -- not assume this will be the Holy Grail.
    Not the Grail, but maybe a chance. I think of it as Google sending an emergency care package.
    11-11-13 07:07 PM
    I'm sure a lot of people feel disappointed. I'm not disappointed by this news of no Google Play Store. I would like to however have Google services and easier access to Android apps

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 07:10 PM
    In the N4BB article, I notice there is no reference to who they received the statement from other than "BlackBerry." From where in the company did the statement come?

Not saying it's bogus or anything, just noting the unsubstantiated statement being made here.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    11-11-13 07:10 PM
    No Play Store? Disappointing.
    11-11-13 07:11 PM
    No Play Store? Disappointing.
    Everybody got trolled hard... including fansite admins. All over some easy to mock up screenshots.
    11-11-13 07:18 PM
    Everybody got trolled hard... including fansite admins. All over some easy to mock up screenshots.
    On a positive note, we can COMPLETELY lay to rest the idea that BB folks don't need no stinkin' apps...
    11-11-13 07:20 PM
    On a positive note, we can COMPLETELY lay to rest the idea that BB folks don't need no stinkin' apps...
    Lol. So true

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 07:29 PM
    Like there was any ever doubt amongst the "level-headed" folks
    11-11-13 07:30 PM
    More than a rumor - a complete lie
    schmeat and m1a1mg like this.
    11-11-13 07:54 PM
    More than a rumor - a complete lie
    Sorry for posting the claim from the other site. Not sure why so many are claiming this. Have to wait and see what materializes.

I personally never felt we would have Google Play as it makes no sense to have two App stores on one platform.

The only rumors I believe are :

1)easy side loading of Android apk files.

2) 3rd party converting the Android app catalog to be functional on BB10. Not sure how practical this is

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 08:14 PM
    Still, if I may quote the same site:
    (One day earlier)
    "*UPDATE* While the pictures illustrating Google Play Store on BlackBerry 10 have been confirmed as fake, the negotiations between BlackBerry and Google are very real."

Z10 via CB10
    11-11-13 08:14 PM
    I find this rumor interesting. While I don't believe it I got an interesting response from a BB employee. I asked him if he could confirm any of the rumors with google play. He simply said that he can not comment. He basically said the exact same thing to me when I had his Aristo in my hands before it was released..... While he didn't confirm it to be true, he certainly could have denied it or laughed it off.

Had it not been for that response I would have said it was 100% bogus. Now I have doubts, something must have happened/happening.
    11-11-13 08:19 PM
    I find this rumor interesting. While I don't believe it I got an interesting response from a BB employee. I asked him if he could confirm any of the rumors with google play. He simply said that he can not comment. He basically said the exact same thing to me when I had his Aristo in my hands before it was released..... While he didn't confirm it to be true, he certainly could have denied it or laughed it off.

Had it not been for that response I would have said it was 100% bogus. Now I have doubts, something must have happened/happening.
    I'm just going to let this pass and see what comes. I am confident something interesting is brewing. However as far as speculating ...I'll pass on that

Thanks for your input

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 08:22 PM
    Still, if I may quote the same site:
    (One day earlier)
    "*UPDATE* While the pictures illustrating Google Play Store on BlackBerry 10 have been confirmed as fake, the negotiations between BlackBerry and Google are very real."

Z10 via CB10
    But without N4BB having made that claim a day earlier, we're back on to easy to mock up screenshots. N4BB stating that there were negotiations was the entire "substance" of the rumor! Fans no matter how fanatic should be smarter than to take these pictures for face value, especially after the Instagram scandal not long ago.

Does N4BB stating that BBRY has no plans for Google Play on BB10 mean anything? No. But if you were unsmart enough to believe the original rumor in the first place, that's all that should be needed; especially considering that N4BB is a fansite and more inclined to post positive rumors than negative ones.

Even if the possibility was still out there, based on the evidence presented this topic merits no discussion. Fool you once... Fool you twice... Fool you thrice...
    11-11-13 08:24 PM
    Nonetheless, improvements in Android Runtime do indicate do indicate potential improvements in App compatibility.
    I perceive BlackBerry's stance on this matter to be quite open, whilst remaining fair to the Native developers.
    Who knows what we will see until it arrives

Z10 via CB10
    11-11-13 08:34 PM
    You guys do realize with balance there won't be a problem with android apps right...?

Can any one remember what balance can do...

That will answer all your questions

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    Too bad the consumer market, which BB needs to, at the least, be more than a niche player, and likely, even to survive, will not have Balance, as they won't be on BES.

It is a great feature, but it is also totally irrelevant to most users out there.
    FunktasticLucky likes this.
    11-11-13 08:50 PM
    As I pointed out earlier, this all seemed like a bunch of hooey from the beginning to me. Not to say BlackBerry is not cooking up something. Yet, there were leaps and bounds taken with the information provided.
    m1a1mg likes this.
    11-11-13 10:23 PM
233 ... 56789 ...