01-14-14 02:04 PM
233 ... 45678 ...
tools
    The only reason I don't like this is because native apps are better, and no one will develop native apps if they don't have too.

Posted via CB10
    Again, how has that been working lately? Sure there are some good ones but not the apps most people want.
    11-11-13 07:54 AM
    So tell me, how has bbry been doing in the native app department for the last 3 years?

Crickets?
    Assuming this development pans out, and assuming BBRY continues with hardware manufacture, how does BBRY differentiate in the long term?

We hear on CB how only Samsung is making money. So, if that theory is valid, this nice won't move devices; this only stops the bleeding (maybe) temporarily.

I have long since held that the ecosystem is BB10's biggest drawback, but I'm not entirely sure that Android is the answer.

In the short term, I don't see that it hurts, but in the long term, who wins except Google? Of course, I'm working with conjecture based on rumor here.
    11-11-13 08:13 AM
    That could be a good thing for sure.
    11-11-13 08:37 AM
    Assuming this development pans out, and assuming BBRY continues with hardware manufacture, how does BBRY differentiate in the long term?

We hear on CB how only Samsung is making money. So, if that theory is valid, this nice won't move devices; this only stops the bleeding (maybe) temporarily.

I have long since held that the ecosystem is BB10's biggest drawback, but I'm not entirely sure that Android is the answer.

In the short term, I don't see that it hurts, but in the long term, who wins except Google? Of course, I'm working with conjecture based on rumor here.
    I can't speak for anyone else but I prefer the bbry10 OS besides some features and bug fixes needed yet. I am getting a new phone in a month or so. As it is right now I'm leaning towards another platform. If this were true and all apps work I will put bbry back on my list as #1.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-11-13 08:41 AM
    Consider BlackBerry opening S/MIME to all (not just BES users); they already have a dramatically-superior VPN built-in along with good native device encryption (Android's is a hack, and an ugly hack at that -- it's the base Linux model that works ok with standard fixed disks but is entirely unsuited to NAND flash. It WORKS, but....)

Note that Android's "base" email support sucks for anything other than Gmail and supports encrypted end-to-end exactly nowhere. K9mail works for PGP but most corporate environments want S/MIME which it doesn't support. And Android's VPN support is lacking at best (yes, I know you can load Strongswan, but again, we're talking NATIVE support, not what you can add on with a package of potentially-unknown trust.)

You have to be flat-out crazy not to see and understand the value proposition here when the "app gap" argument disappears. Samsung went after development of KNOX for this reason, but KNOX is a mess dictated by the underlying OS that it has to run with.

Look at the errata list that came out of the DOD for the competing systems -- BB10, Knox and IOS. Only BB10 didn't have any material restrictions; IOS' list resulted in a device that was laughable compared against what people want, and Knox's hasn't been released publicly as far as I know (gee, I wonder why?)

Does BlackBerry have a competitive device offering if you can run Play applications "native"? You bet they do in the corporate, BYOD and government markets, and since people prefer to carry one device over two if they can carry one and it's a BB10 handset that will run everything their Galaxy S4 will, what do you think they'll choose?

Remember that while the DOD and high-security corporate market is important in terms of bragging rights it's the medium and small-sized business market where all the money is on a dollars and units-sold basis since that's where most of the employees actually are. Those small and mid-sized businesses will not buy BES (or Good, or any of the others) as they simply don't see the value proposition but their EMPLOYEES still want their phones and the companies still see value in reasonably-secure communications that they can let those employees use and they do not want to issue their own devices for both cost and IT support reasons.

Android simply cannot play in this space today -- IOS does to a greater degree. If Google consents to BlackBerry running Play unrestricted they gain the superior platform in this market segment -- it's a win-win for both firms.
    11-11-13 08:56 AM
    Google maps version 7.2 allows street view for me. I'm on unlocked Android runtime with 10.2

Posted via CB10
    And me. Updated to the latest 10.2.0.1803 and then put the unlocked android run time on. The street view image is now updating very quickly.
    Could be better optimized to pass data to the run time from QNX???? Don't know, but it sure works...and fast.
    11-11-13 08:58 AM
    1803 dramatically improved RF performance. In the "Redneck Riviera" I am now seeing 20Mbps (!!) transfer rates on the android side of the fence, sustained, against LTE carriers and the user experience is greatly improved everywhere (LTE or not) as is the raw RF performance and signal-holding capability.

The radio update is pretty substantial.
    11-11-13 09:22 AM
    Remember that while the DOD and high-security corporate market is important in terms of bragging rights it's the medium and small-sized business market where all the money is on a dollars and units-sold basis since that's where most of the employees actually are. Those small and mid-sized businesses will not buy BES (or Good, or any of the others) as they simply don't see the value proposition but their EMPLOYEES still want their phones and the companies still see value in reasonably-secure communications that they can let those employees use and they do not want to issue their own devices for both cost and IT support reasons.

Android simply cannot play in this space today -- IOS does to a greater degree. If Google consents to BlackBerry running Play unrestricted they gain the superior platform in this market segment -- it's a win-win for both firms.
    Which is why I think BlackBerry needs to provide BES10 hosting. Many small business don't have the resources or ability to operate their own exchange email, much less device management. But if BB were to offer Exchange/BES 10 hosting for a small fee, and give small business the tools to control the devices. I think there is a big market here that BlackBerry could tap.
    11-11-13 09:25 AM
    Consider BlackBerry opening S/MIME to all (not just BES users); they already have a dramatically-superior VPN built-in along with good native device encryption (Android's is a hack, and an ugly hack at that -- it's the base Linux model that works ok with standard fixed disks but is entirely unsuited to NAND flash. It WORKS, but....)

Note that Android's "base" email support sucks for anything other than Gmail and supports encrypted end-to-end exactly nowhere. K9mail works for PGP but most corporate environments want S/MIME which it doesn't support. And Android's VPN support is lacking at best (yes, I know you can load Strongswan, but again, we're talking NATIVE support, not what you can add on with a package of potentially-unknown trust.)

You have to be flat-out crazy not to see and understand the value proposition here when the "app gap" argument disappears. Samsung went after development of KNOX for this reason, but KNOX is a mess dictated by the underlying OS that it has to run with.

Look at the errata list that came out of the DOD for the competing systems -- BB10, Knox and IOS. Only BB10 didn't have any material restrictions; IOS' list resulted in a device that was laughable compared against what people want, and Knox's hasn't been released publicly as far as I know (gee, I wonder why?)

Does BlackBerry have a competitive device offering if you can run Play applications "native"? You bet they do in the corporate, BYOD and government markets, and since people prefer to carry one device over two if they can carry one and it's a BB10 handset that will run everything their Galaxy S4 will, what do you think they'll choose?

The number of BlackBerry 10 devices out there is so small that if Google would allow this too happen at best it could be described as a charitable gesture. Google might make enough money from selling apps or other content to justify their costs.

To gain back some of their business user base they need to improve their handsets - especially the Z10 and they need to reduce the costs to operate BES.
    11-11-13 09:58 AM
    If blackberry and google combine forces that would be a secure android and a big blow to apple and also to Samsung as BlackBerry will steal some smartphone sales.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 10:03 AM
    tell me this, if this is true, and it comes.. how will it work?? i mean, its nice to run apps and all, but right now, we cannot default to a sideloaded app.. i.e. if there is a youtube video on a webpage, and you have the youtube app, you cannot have it automatically open in the youtube app, by default..
    so how will the BB10 OS 'interface' with these android apps, than run in a 'virtual' OS ?
    11-11-13 10:28 AM
    Prays to the android gods that this is going to be real.
    11-11-13 10:41 AM
    This move from BB can be related to the fact that Google start moving from JIT compilation to AOT compilation.
    11-11-13 10:51 AM
    Looks like we're popular. CNN is citing Crackberry.com for the rumor regarding Play Store coming to BB10 in next update.

Google Play might be coming to BlackBerry with next update of BB10
    mrfreeze likes this.
    11-11-13 11:13 AM
    Looks like we're popular. CNN is citing Crackberry.com for the rumor regarding Play Store coming to BB10 in next update.

Google Play might be coming to BlackBerry with next update of BB10
    Wow.. That's crazy they would cite a rumor post on a forum... Though I believe it is true.
    11-11-13 11:19 AM
    Wow.. That's crazy they would cite a rumor post on a forum... Though I believe it is true.
    I think that there is some merit to the rumor but I will spare judgment until something comes to fruition, and in what fashion. Just funny to me that news companies are so desperate to be the first big news break that they are trolling rumors from fan sites.

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 11:30 AM
    tell me this, if this is true, and it comes.. how will it work?? i mean, its nice to run apps and all, but right now, we cannot default to a sideloaded app.. i.e. if there is a youtube video on a webpage, and you have the youtube app, you cannot have it automatically open in the youtube app, by default..
    so how will the BB10 OS 'interface' with these android apps, than run in a 'virtual' OS ?
    Yes, I hope BlackBerry and Google take the time to work out the details properly. You're right that you should be able to open a link from the native browser across to the Android YouTube app. Also the other way around, if you are using a Android forum app, for example, and you tap on a link, it would be nice to be able to visit that link in the native browser if you want.

The other thing I'd love to see in Google Play is some indication of which apps work correctly on square screens. I think there are a fair number of apps that won't. As long as those are hidden from Q5/10 users, then that would be a better experience.
    11-11-13 11:35 AM
    Lucas at N4bb.com is reporting that he has reached out to sources that state BlackBerry and Google are currently in negotiations to allow Google Play on BB10 devices.

This is quite a development

Posted via CB10
    I am very dubious about all of this. I suppose ol Lucas has a good track record over there at N4BB. However, he has been way off a time or two as well. Hence, we shall see.
    11-11-13 11:58 AM
    It could be a great development in the short term.

My biggest question is whether this will help push devices. I'm not sure that it will.

I think it will and I think this is a win win situation for both Google and Blackberry
    11-11-13 12:50 PM
    It could be a great development in the short term.

My biggest question is whether this will help push devices. I'm not sure that it will.
    One of the biggest reasons thus far for BlackBerry 10 not selling is the app ecosystem. If this shuts that door, I can't see why it wouldn't help push devices. It would need to be promoted by the company and the message would need to get out.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    11-11-13 02:08 PM
    Good move. Next step is promoting this project so consumers will know they will have apps to use
    11-11-13 02:35 PM
    All I can say is the differentior denominator which has won the BlackBerry over years of challenges it's exclusive ecosystem with the sense of security and winning combination of hardware and software is the the dna of BlackBerry...BlackBerry should not even allow this to be asked a rumor or some food for thoughts as the market out there has become pretty much similar after androids and it has begun to get bucked into category of the south Korean cars!???
    As the consumer still has the confidence in the Germans and the US for the autos so what I am suggesting is let not the apple rule and make it a unipolar thing let the might of BlackBerry and it's years off innovative and initiatives be as the identity and may the Blackberry's don't blink....

BlackBerry Evangelists
    Aziz

Z30

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 02:53 PM
    You guys do realize with balance there won't be a problem with android apps right...?

Can any one remember what balance can do...

That will answer all your questions

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    missing_K-W likes this.
    11-11-13 05:13 PM
    BlackBerry needs to find a way to move away from Android apps on BB10 and work with developers to build native BB10 apps.

Instead of Google Play on the phone, how about native versions of Google apps? Heck, Google had a native BBOS maps app I had running on my 9800. The Android version of Google Maps on BB10 can't display streetview.
    That is the ideal situation but when that fails (and we all know it hasn't gone as well as hoped) do you cling to waiting for the ideal situation to occur or do you plug the hole with something that works?

Posted via CB10
    11-11-13 05:41 PM
    One of the biggest reasons thus far for BlackBerry 10 not selling is the app ecosystem. If this shuts that door, I can't see why it wouldn't help push devices. It would need to be promoted by the company and the message would need to get out.

JB

Posted from my brain to your screen via CBQ10
    I'm wondering how will this new marketed. I'm trying to see how ant mention of the Play Store helps out BB10 more than it helps Android. And if the process isn't seamless, the perception issue will remain.
    11-11-13 05:46 PM
233 ... 45678 ...