01-14-14 02:04 PM
233 ... 23456 ...
tools
    This move, if true, reeks of desperation on BlackBerry's part. They might as well have just created an Android phone with a BlackBerry skin. It could have had a similar appearance as BB 10, but with Android.
    Appearance isn't everything.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 08:25 PM
    Only problem I can find is we'll stop getting new native apps since they're already available on android

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 08:27 PM
    This move, if true, reeks of desperation on BlackBerry's part. They might as well have just created an Android phone with a BlackBerry skin. It could have had a similar appearance as BB 10, but with Android.
    If they are doing it for the Google services bit of it, it doen't mean they need to allow Play Store into the OS. But think... All those apps that use Google Maps APIs - which WILL crash on BB10 - will work. All those Android apps that use some bit of Google stuff into them will now be BB10-ready.

Devs will no longer have a reason not to port their apps to BB10 and serve them on BlackBerry World.
    Shanerredflag and kbz1960 like this.
    11-10-13 08:27 PM
    This is a great idea. My work won't allow me to use anything other than BB and I don't want to carry a second phone. Having access to Android apps will help many people like me.

I hope this rumor will become true.

DW
    11-10-13 08:28 PM
    I think much of the confusion over this is because of the way your carrier handles Blackberries in the network. Don't know if this is true everywhere, but I was ASSURED by Fido back in March when I got my Z10 that anyone with a BlackBerry does indeed have a different connection than someone who only has an Android or iOS device. Apparently even with a BB10 device you still go through a BIS server if your primary device is a BlackBerry 10 handset for the simple reason that at any time you might slip your SIM back into your old legacy device and expect data service. From what I could determine back then, when you use a BB10 handset your carrier detects it and BIS routes data thru the same network as Apple and Android phones. If you connect with your legacy device however BIS reverts to the old data compressing servers and network.

I can't verify that it works this way, but that's what I was told in a Fido brick and mortar store when I got the Z10.
    Posted via CB10
    This is a partial screenshot showing my active connections using the freely available Network Monitor App.
    ...I come from the "Land Downunder"

Google Play Store on BB10- more than a rumor-mycon.png

Z10 via CB10
    maxmelbin likes this.
    11-10-13 08:37 PM
    11-10-13 08:38 PM
    Well look at it this way. Android and iOS are more difficult to get FIPS approval for and when approved are very narrow approvals. BB10 had a very broad approval due to the way it is implement with Neutrino and the crypto kernel. So now you have a FIPS approved device thats approval is in no way tied to the Android runtime version but can run Android apps. I think the way they went about it was right way, it was just executed and implemented too slowly. They should have had all this ready to go at the BB10 launch, not after they botched everything. Basically they created a better than secure Android, they just did it way too slow.

Posted via CB10
    mrfreeze, bennelong and kbz1960 like this.
    11-10-13 08:38 PM
    If so, what's gonna happen to BBW?
    11-10-13 08:42 PM
    Well look at it this way. Android and iOS are more difficult to get FIPS approval for and when approved are very narrow approvals. BB10 had a very broad approval due to the way it is implement with Neutrino and the crypto kernel. So now you have a FIPS approved device thats approval is in no way tied to the Android runtime version but can run Android apps. I think the way they went about it was right way, it was just executed and implemented too slowly. They should have had all this ready to go at the BB10 launch, not after they botched everything. Basically they created a better than secure Android, they just did it way too slow.

Posted via CB10
    Too late, just like with the PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 08:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's the only possible reseaon I can agree to.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 08:56 PM
    Because their Blackberry 10 operating system and efforts to build a robust app ecosystem by reaching out to developers has worked out oh so well for them (rolling my eyes). The market as spoken loudly - it does not, and will not, support a fourth ecosystem (Blackberry); and even a third ecosystem (Windows) seem, at best, questionable, and at worst, unlikely. As to your last sentence, on that I agree with you - I really do think that Blackberry should have just adopted Android foregoing BB10 all together. At least in terms of apps, you'd have a phone that "can do that" instead of a phone whose tag line is "it's not available for Blackberry".

As to security, well, I know what the retort will be - Android isn't secure, blah blah blah. And I don't have a good counter to that except an observation - it's quite clear to anyone watching the mobile phone market that consumers simply do not care about security and/or are not paranoid enough about it to switch phones. After all, if they were, Blackberry would be in the number one spot and not in the position they are. Ergot, shift to Android and produce a solid product that delivers on the performance and quality that Blackberry phones are known for. And use Android to finally convince people that a Blackberry phone CAN do that.
    11-10-13 09:49 PM
    My concern why get play store when blackberry world can't even get apps that work on all BB10 devices. I have a Q10 and find that a lot of native apps don't support it. What makes us think that play store apps will magically run on BB10 if we get access?

Posted via CB10
    arvind1983 likes this.
    11-10-13 10:09 PM
    Basically they created a better than secure Android, they just did it way too slow.
    One of the frustrating things about using govt issued BlackBerrys for me was that they were always completely locked down. Even if I did find an app in BBWorld that I wanted, I couldn't install it anyway.

I wonder if the folks who need secure phones are going to be allowed access to Google Play in most cases?
    bp3dots likes this.
    11-10-13 10:30 PM
    Imo if you don't like this Move then you don't want to see bbry survive. This is a no Brainer, people want apps and they want the newest hottest app when it first comes out not yesterday's news i.e angry birds.

If you don't like this move you're in serious denial

Posted via CB10 on my z30
    11-10-13 10:35 PM
    This is a great development IMHO. Those who are opposed simply don't have to install Google Play on their devices.

Posted via CB10
    Well said. I've seen some people complain about play coming to BB. If you don't like it, ignore it. It is that simple.
    11-10-13 10:35 PM
    One of the frustrating things about using govt issued BlackBerrys for me was that they were always completely locked down. Even if I did find an app in BBWorld that I wanted, I couldn't install it anyway.

I wonder if the folks who need secure phones are going to be allowed access to Google Play in most cases?
    That's partly why it's so hated because organization locked it...there are millions others others who are not given phones by thier employers and they would love Google Play on BB10.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 10:40 PM
    If Google Play Store becomes part of the BlackBerry 10 ecosystem, I wonder how consumers will perceive this and how BlackBerry will promote this, all the while trying to keep the product differentiated from Android. Would BlackBerry be perceived as essentially another Android phone?

Posted via CB10
    I think Samsung is doing a good job of differentiating themselves. I think the bigger challenge would be to make people aware that they can now get all the latest and greatest apps on a blackberry

Posted via CB10 on my z30
    11-10-13 10:57 PM
    Just wear a the tinfoil hat when using it.
    What size? I have a drawer full left over from 1999 with the whole "world was going to end".....on Jan. 01, 2000.
    bigedschukar and Barljo like this.
    11-10-13 11:07 PM
    That discussion was more related to the question of a total move to an android OS.

It doesn't relate to the issue of this thread.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-10-13 11:13 PM
    So if this rumor is NOT true, it could really hurt BB10 app development.
    How many app developers may just wait longer (6-8months?) to see if this happens.
    Think about it, did BB10 sales get any better when the FOR SALE sign went up and came back down.
    All these rumors and uncertainty causes problems. What does Saunders think of this rumor?
    11-10-13 11:14 PM
    after seeing all the fake apps on playstore with the BBM fiasco (not saying the fake apps caused the delay, just that i never had to use play store before) I would be really surprised to see this happen
    11-10-13 11:14 PM
    Even if there is playtore in bb10 but how would it work? Anything in playstore are Apk/android app.. so how would it work in BB10? Online realtime converter?

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 11:20 PM
    I doubt this will ever happen (my personal opinion) for the following reasons:

a) They would have to provide an unlocked runtime which is not safe (security wise) and could make BB10 OS unstable.
    b) Lots of apps will not work even with an unlocked runtime which will make BB look bad
    c) Does not encourage developers to develop apps for BB. In fact it opens the door to more competition for BB apps
    d) Google will not allow such deal. Less competition is better for Google, hence they'd rather see BB die.

BB would have to have a process in place to convert an apk to bar and load it on your OS.
    11-10-13 11:22 PM
    I personally think this is unlikely to be real, but not necessarily a bad thing.

Blackberry World already has Android apps which run alongside native apps. Google Play would be no different, with the exceptions being that the apps are moderated by Google not Blackberry (and you will probably need to use a Google account to download them)

I'm on a Q5, so i don't really see this affecting me. Square resolutions is not a very popular thing among Android handsets, so applications may not support my phone anyways.

I wonder how Blackberry and Google would intend to handle low level apps; such a keyboards, launchers, and app killers? Ideally they would hide all apps that use unsupported APIs.
    11-10-13 11:42 PM
    If Google Play Store becomes part of the BlackBerry 10 ecosystem, I wonder how consumers will perceive this and how BlackBerry will promote this, all the while trying to keep the product differentiated from Android. Would BlackBerry be perceived as essentially another Android phone?

Posted via CB10
    I think it would be a net-positive for blackberry. Sure having android apps would be great but users will always prefer native. So if BlackBerrys regained popularity developers would start developing native apps even if the Android version was available.
    BravoZuluDelta and thisiscjay like this.
    11-11-13 12:02 AM
233 ... 23456 ...