01-14-14 02:04 PM
233 12345 ...
tools
    This rumor doesn't seem to be going away. I'm still very leary this is true, but if it is, I have to think this might be attractive to other device makers to have devices running BB10. This gives them a chance to produce devices in the government and enterprise space but not have a handicap because of lack of apps.

To me this would make BB10 far more attractive to adapt by other handset makers.

Just my thoughts

CB10'n it via da Z
    You have to realize that it is somewhat true. (Android runtime) - It is a matter of time that it works like the full Play Store
    11-10-13 05:31 PM
    I really wish this rumor is true, but looking at the pictures posted earlier on cd and n4bb ,Google Play Store on BB10- more than a rumor-google-play-blackberry-10-2.jpg i noticed that the second picture is missing the signal bar, if there was no sim u should at least see a red x , also you will notice the wifi bar next to it has the bb icon which means there is active data on the phone , something about this picture is not right, even if these pictures may not be real lets hope the rumor becomes reality .
    11-10-13 05:33 PM
    The only reason I don't like this is because native apps are better, and no one will develop native apps if they don't have too.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 05:37 PM
    I do wish they some how integrate Google Play to work THROUGH BlackBerry World in a way that apps can be automatically downloaded without sideloading. They should keep BlackBerry World in control of the purchases though...

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-10-13 05:47 PM
    I just received an email from a friend who is an android user about the topic...its making traction. let's see if it pans out.

Posted via the best Keyboard in Existence my Mo Fo Z10
    11-10-13 05:51 PM
    I really wish this rumor is true, but looking at the pictures posted earlier on cd and n4bb ,Click image for larger version. 

Name:	google-play-blackberry-10-2.jpg 
Views:	1223 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	219222 i noticed that the second picture is missing the signal bar, if there was no sim u should at least see a red x , also you will notice the wifi bar next to it has the bb icon which means there is active data on the phone , something about this picture is not right, even if these pictures may not be real lets hope the rumor becomes reality .
    You are such a noob

C00019C6F
    Attachment 219226
    Attached Thumbnails Google Play Store on BB10- more than a rumor-img_00000185.png  
    bigedschukar likes this.
    11-10-13 05:54 PM
    do you see a cellular signal bar ? the only thing i see is the wifi bar, just hoping someone who knows better can explain
    11-10-13 05:58 PM
    do you see a cellular signal bar ? the only thing i see is the wifi bar, just hoping someone who knows better can explain
    he could have just turn the "mobile network" off and then there would be no cell notification bar
    diegonei likes this.
    11-10-13 06:05 PM
    think i figured out maybe he romoved his sim and then turned off mobile network , just tried it on my friends phone
    11-10-13 06:05 PM
    tried it on a z 10 it showed an a sim with a red exclamation mark next to it, i removed the sim it did not show the bar so i guess that is what he did
    11-10-13 06:07 PM
    BlackBerry needs to find a way to move away from Android apps on BB10 and work with developers to build native BB10 apps.

Instead of Google Play on the phone, how about native versions of Google apps? Heck, Google had a native BBOS maps app I had running on my 9800. The Android version of Google Maps on BB10 can't display streetview.
    I can display streetview just fine on my Z10 with google maps. Just checked.
    11-10-13 06:11 PM
    Just go to mobile network, turn of mobile network and you have no bar.

Is that really so hard to understand?

C00019C6F
    Attachment 219230
    11-10-13 06:21 PM
    When this goes through it will be the biggest event in blackberry history. This is just huge. People have no idea how big this really is.
    11-10-13 06:35 PM
    If Google Play Store becomes part of the BlackBerry 10 ecosystem, I wonder how consumers will perceive this and how BlackBerry will promote this, all the while trying to keep the product differentiated from Android. Would BlackBerry be perceived as essentially another Android phone?

Posted via CB10
    Depends on how BlackBerry puts it when promoting it. It's all about brainwashing the masses. The issue, as we know, is that BlackBerry don't know what advertising or at least how it works in usa

Posted via CB10
    arvind1983 likes this.
    11-10-13 06:35 PM
    Google doesn't care who accesses their play store. They make much more money on ads. I don't think they get much out of the hardware that runs Android. So play store to BB10 gives them more ppl to get exposed to the ads.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 06:44 PM
    I agree with you. That is my concern about BlackBerry relying too much on Android. When BlackBerry depends too much on Android then I feel that it starts to become a crutch for BlackBerry.

In my opinion, Android apps might help in the short term, but I believe that it will hurt BlackBerry in the long term if it causes app developers to stop creating native BlackBerry apps. The app developers won't have too much motivation to create BlackBerry apps if their Android apps are a reasonable alternative.

It's already hard enough to get native apps right now, and I believe the problem will only get worse if BlackBerry relies too much on Android. I personally prefer native apps regardless of whatever OS I use.
    Ideally native apps would be preferred. But BlackBerry is not in an ideal position at the moment. Beggars can't be choosers.
    11-10-13 06:58 PM
    Where in gods great earth did you get that crazy idea from???????????

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    it's a guess.. no ideas.. Google is known to surprise people with some strange stuff.
    11-10-13 07:24 PM
    App development should be standard. Just like the web. But HTML5 apps are not a great success.

App developers should really think about joining to create one standard for all apps, and it be the responsibity of the o/s to run the apps properly.

If bb10 can run android apps then so can IOS and MS.

This standardization would make all apps availabe to all o/s systems and the developer would only have to worry about creating there app once and updating.
    11-10-13 07:39 PM
    When I saw those screenshots my first thought was - actually, this is no different from Samsung, HTC or LG. On those devices, you go to Play Store to get your apps, then spend your time in a shell/skin/OS that is the handset maker's interpretation of what the UI should be, and what services they can offer the user directly outside of the Play Store. The runtime in BB10 could be treated just like a custom ROM essentially. From a Google perspective, I'm going to guess they don't really care as long as they get your signals and can serve you ads... Imagine having access to the Play Store and all those applications at now practically native speed, all wrapped in BlackBerry security! Cool.
    bizzyqu and bigedschukar like this.
    11-10-13 07:41 PM
    I think much of the confusion over this is because of the way your carrier handles Blackberries in the network. Don't know if this is true everywhere, but I was ASSURED by Fido back in March when I got my Z10 that anyone with a BlackBerry does indeed have a different connection than someone who only has an Android or iOS device. Apparently even with a BB10 device you still go through a BIS server if your primary device is a BlackBerry 10 handset for the simple reason that at any time you might slip your SIM back into your old legacy device and expect data service. From what I could determine back then, when you use a BB10 handset your carrier detects it and BIS routes data thru the same network as Apple and Android phones. If you connect with your legacy device however BIS reverts to the old data compressing servers and network.

I can't verify that it works this way, but that's what I was told in a Fido brick and mortar store when I got the Z10.

I'm sorry but this is completely incorrect, BIS simply IS NOT USED with BlackBerry 10... furthermore you could not segregate the data compression but still maintain "aspects" of the BIS server such as "security". I'm a network tech for a mobile carrier and handle these types of issues on a daily basis... if you understand the BIS infrastructure and how RIM relay works it would make more sense but, again, simply put BIS is just not used on BlackBerry 10 and although BlackBerry IP is more secure than iOS or Android this has nothing to do with BIS.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 07:56 PM
    When I saw those screenshots my first thought was - actually, this is no different from Samsung, HTC or LG. On those devices, you go to Play Store to get your apps, then spend your time in a shell/skin/OS that is the handset maker's interpretation of what the UI should be, and what services they can offer the user directly outside of the Play Store. The runtime in BB10 could be treated just like a custom ROM essentially. From a Google perspective, I'm going to guess they don't really care as long as they get your signals and can serve you ads... Imagine having access to the Play Store and all those applications at now practically native speed, all wrapped in BlackBerry security! Cool.
    Sounds like a great vision, but I think BlackBerry needs to articulate exactly what "wrapped in BlackBerry security" actually means for users spending much of their time in android apps, especially if they aren't on BES.

I think if they can clearly demonstrate that value, then I can see a comeback strategy in this.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-10-13 07:56 PM
    You are such a noob
    Don't we have rules about personal attacks and name calling? I know "noob" isn't exactly the F bomb, but still.

Just go to mobile network, turn of mobile network and you have no bar.
    Exactly. This is how you do it. Case closed, moving on.
    Last edited by diegonei; 11-10-13 at 08:14 PM.
    southlander and bigedschukar like this.
    11-10-13 08:02 PM
    I think much of the confusion over this is because of the way your carrier handles Blackberries in the network. Don't know if this is true everywhere, but I was ASSURED by Fido back in March when I got my Z10 that anyone with a BlackBerry does indeed have a different connection than someone who only has an Android or iOS device.

Old BlackBerry devices - legacy devices - that run Java BBOS (7.1 and older) do indeed go a different way. Without a BIS plan they can't do much.

BlackBerry 10 devices DON'T. They work like any other device when it comes to getting data. Now, think Google Talk. Google Talks has to reach to Google's servers to sign in and work. How is that different from BBM on a BB10 device? Or Skype? Or any other app that has to connect to a server to work?

No. BB10 does not work any different from any other phone in the planet (ok, it does, it has an icon on the top that shows the server was reached).

Apparently even with a BB10 device you still go through a BIS server if your primary device is a BlackBerry 10 handset for the simple reason that at any time you might slip your SIM back into your old legacy device and expect data service.

Get an iPhones's SIM, put it into a Z10. See if it asks for BIS to work. That FIDO guy/girl fed you bad info.

From what I could determine back then, when you use a BB10 handset your carrier detects it and BIS routes data thru the same network as Apple and Android phones. If you connect with your legacy device however BIS reverts to the old data compressing servers and network.

Get an iPhone's SIM. put it into a 9900. See it fail to get BBM working. That FIDO guy/girl fed you bad info.

I can't verify that it works this way, but that's what I was told in a Fido brick and mortar store when I got the Z10.
    You don't need to. This has been proven over and over. But I guess it doesn't hurt to explain yet another time.

And do not trust carrier's "tech" people! EVER! lol

Noob is not an ugly word, it's a word for someone that does not know alot about the subject that person is talking about.

Nothing wrong with it
    We all know it is never used with a good conotation. Else it would have been spelled "New be".
    thisiscjay likes this.
    11-10-13 08:12 PM
    Bloop android yum blackberries

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 08:20 PM
    This move, if true, reeks of desperation on BlackBerry's part. They might as well have just created an Android phone with a BlackBerry skin. It could have had a similar appearance as BB 10, but with Android.
    11-10-13 08:23 PM
233 12345 ...