01-14-14 02:04 PM
233 1234 ...
tools
    Nope I've had the BlackBerry icon go away, and I just didn't have BBM working. Internet and email worked just fine.

Posted via CB10
    i haven't and it was confirmed when BB10 was first released, i think it was BlackBerry Africa that said it. BIS still does our internets security as well as BBM and BB world. my home wifi has been dropping out my BIS on a regular basis since my old router fried and i had to replace it i will still have two bars of wifi, but not BIS, no internet no e mail no BBM not BB world, will get no connectivity besides connectivity to my own network.

and yes my network still has connectivity to the internet via PCs
    11-10-13 02:46 PM
    If Google Play Store becomes part of the BlackBerry 10 ecosystem, I wonder how consumers will perceive this and how BlackBerry will promote this, all the while trying to keep the product differentiated from Android. Would BlackBerry be perceived as essentially another Android phone?

Posted via CB10
    I imagine it would be marketed as an "Android Inside" type of thing.

Z10 via CB10
    11-10-13 02:52 PM
    Google is strongly motivated to make the Android ecosystem available to everyone. They don't care if their framework is on Android or anything else. Not only are they going to allow BB to run the framework and store, they are going to encourage it.
    So true. Very well said

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 02:55 PM
    Lol, reached out to some sources aka "The BerryLeaks Team"
    11-10-13 03:07 PM
    Lol, reached out to some sources aka "The BerryLeaks Team"
    ...whose sources are?...

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 03:13 PM
    sure it is, i don't know if anyone realises but out internet connection on BB10 still goes through BlackBerry's BIS service, i know this for a fact if you watch the little BIS icon go away from limited wifi you lose all internet connectivity. the real big changes are no data compression or push e mail but as far as security goes BIS still does the same as legacy phone
    I'm sorry but this is completely incorrect, BIS simply IS NOT USED with BlackBerry 10... furthermore you could not segregate the data compression but still maintain "aspects" of the BIS server such as "security". I'm a network tech for a mobile carrier and handle these types of issues on a daily basis... if you understand the BIS infrastructure and how RIM relay works it would make more sense but, again, simply put BIS is just not used on BlackBerry 10 and although BlackBerry IP is more secure than iOS or Android this has nothing to do with BIS.
    11-10-13 03:30 PM
    exactly never said that but it all goes through BlackBerry's BIS service, BIS is still our internet gateway simply like a proxy that all our connectivity is pushed through , if there is no link to BIS you simply do not have your internet connectivity. an even better way to discribe it is BIS is a VPN, its a public netowrk going through one main private network

we don't get the same push mail that legacy devices have and emails were never really encrypted it doesn't make any sense to do so but BIS is still a big part of BB10.
    That's not true at all. The bb logo shows up when you are connected to BlackBerry services like bbm. Internet works fine without it.
    mikeo007 and kbz1960 like this.
    11-10-13 03:30 PM
    So that is what the icon means? I've noticed it too. When its gone, all my internet is gone too even if the phone says LTE and has signal bars.
    11-10-13 03:33 PM
    i haven't and it was confirmed when BB10 was first released, i think it was BlackBerry Africa that said it. BIS still does our internets security as well as BBM and BB world. my home wifi has been dropping out my BIS on a regular basis since my old router fried and i had to replace it i will still have two bars of wifi, but not BIS, no internet no e mail no BBM not BB world, will get no connectivity besides connectivity to my own network.

Sir, I really hate to pick at this but unfortunately you are misinformed.

No BIS on BlackBerry 10 | News24

The truth about BlackBerry 10 and the BlackBerry Internet Service | memeburn
    mikeo007 and kbz1960 like this.
    11-10-13 03:46 PM
    BlackBerry needs to find a way to move away from Android apps on BB10 and work with developers to build native BB10 apps.

Instead of Google Play on the phone, how about native versions of Google apps? Heck, Google had a native BBOS maps app I had running on my 9800. The Android version of Google Maps on BB10 can't display streetview.
    They have been and it's not working. They need to do something now before they cease to exist.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 03:51 PM
    sure it is, i don't know if anyone realises but out internet connection on BB10 still goes through BlackBerry's BIS service, i know this for a fact if you watch the little BIS icon go away from limited wifi you lose all internet connectivity. the real big changes are no data compression or push e mail but as far as security goes BIS still does the same as legacy phone
    Nope. BBM does but everything else is open Internet.

Posted via CB10 on a Verizon Z10 running 10.2.0.1791
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-10-13 03:56 PM
    That's not true at all. The bb logo shows up when you are connected to BlackBerry services like bbm. Internet works fine without it.
    Folks BlackBerry even said it no longer used BIS on BlackBerry 10. Come on get real! Yes, BBM only. Nothing else.

Posted via CB10 on a Verizon Z10 running 10.2.0.1791
    h20work, kbz1960 and mrfreeze like this.
    11-10-13 03:58 PM

Well my experience would show that it is possible to not have the BlackBerry icon and still have Internet and email and service for most apps. The issue you mention above seems to be more of a network issue between your BlackBerry phone and your Router.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 04:23 PM
    BlackBerry needs to find a way to move away from Android apps on BB10 and work with developers to build native BB10 apps.

Instead of Google Play on the phone, how about native versions of Google apps?
    I agree with you. That is my concern about BlackBerry relying too much on Android. When BlackBerry depends too much on Android then I feel that it starts to become a crutch for BlackBerry.

In my opinion, Android apps might help in the short term, but I believe that it will hurt BlackBerry in the long term if it causes app developers to stop creating native BlackBerry apps. The app developers won't have too much motivation to create BlackBerry apps if their Android apps are a reasonable alternative.

It's already hard enough to get native apps right now, and I believe the problem will only get worse if BlackBerry relies too much on Android. I personally prefer native apps regardless of whatever OS I use.
    11-10-13 04:35 PM
    I agree with you. That is my concern about BlackBerry relying too much on Android. When BlackBerry depends too much on Android then I feel that it starts to become a crutch for BlackBerry.

In my opinion, Android apps might help in the short term, but I believe that it will hurt BlackBerry in the long term if it causes app developers to stop creating native BlackBerry apps. The app developers won't have too much motivation to create BlackBerry apps if their Android apps are a reasonable alternative.

It's already hard enough to get native apps right now, and I believe the problem will only get worse if BlackBerry relies too much on Android.
    Again. In the short term they could go out of business or get split up.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-10-13 04:38 PM
    As long Android apps still running in the Sandbox it will be fine, so no one has thought to root blackberry and install custom ROM lol
    @Blackberry .. Next list is Apple App Store so you have no worry from the lack of apps in BBWorld
    This will bring back customers to buy BB devices as it can run IOS and Android Apps, what could be better than that? haha
    11-10-13 04:39 PM

It's already hard enough to get native apps right now, and I believe the problem will only get worse if BlackBerry relies too much on Android. I personally prefer native apps regardless of whatever OS I use.
    I'm leaning towards this.

At first, I thought it was a great idea. The more I think about it though, the less I like it. It's similar to what I thought about the runtime in general: in the long term, I don't think it helps BB10.

I've been wrong before, but I can't shake the feeling that Google gains more by giving less.
    11-10-13 04:42 PM
    Ha... a trifecta ios, android, and bbw

Member of Squircle of Trust!
    11-10-13 04:47 PM
    I personally would like to see the play store on BB10 devices. Gives the consumer access to the consumer aspect and allows for consumers and professionals access to Google services.

This is a great development IMHO. Those who are opposed simply don't have to install Google Play on their devices.

Posted via CB10
    It's the whole notion of "Google Services" that is getting my attention here. Android--even Jelly Bean--is open source and it didn't require any licensing from Google for BB to use it. BTW, there are hundreds of cheapie Android phones out there in the developing world that don't run Google Play, either.

For Google Play to become available on BB10, Google themselves would have to certify that the platform was compatible with Google Services, and the implications of that are actually pretty major.

As an enthusiast and wanna-be developer, I have mixed feelings about this. I do think it's necessary for BlackBerry's survival at this point, sure, but I also worry that it removes incentive to develop native apps for BB10.
    h20work and diegonei like this.
    11-10-13 04:48 PM
    App developers should really think about joining to create one standard for all apps, and it be the responsibity of the o/s to run the apps properly.

If bb10 can run android apps then so can IOS and MS.

This standardization would make all apps availabe to all o/s systems and the developer would only have to worry about creating there app once and updating.
    arvind1983 likes this.
    11-10-13 04:49 PM
    No doubt Lucas rules!

Regarding play store on BlackBerry 10, it just seems to good to be true!

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 04:52 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=872023

I posted info on why it may happen here

11-10-13 04:59 PM
    That means Google will buy blackberry and they are testing the waters?!

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 05:08 PM
    That means Google will buy blackberry and they are testing the waters?!

Posted via CB10
    Where in gods great earth did you get that crazy idea from???????????

kbz1960 likes this.
    11-10-13 05:24 PM
    This rumor doesn't seem to be going away. I'm still very leary this is true, but if it is, I have to think this might be attractive to other device makers to have devices running BB10. This gives them a chance to produce devices in the government and enterprise space but not have a handicap because of lack of apps.

To me this would make BB10 far more attractive to adapt by other handset makers.

Just my thoughts

CB10'n it via da Z
    bbq10l and Thunderbuck like this.
    11-10-13 05:26 PM
233 1234 ...