Source: Google may be launching their own wireless cell phone service - Neowin

In the past Google has shown no fear when trying to expand their business into new markets. After creating and improving Android over the years, as well as bringing their super-fast Google Fiber internet access to select cities, Google may be venturing further into everyday life by launching their very own wireless cell phone service to compete with companies such as AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon.

Instead of creating their own networks from scratch, Google is said to be buying existing buildings, and towers to become a mobile virtual network operator. This means that they will buy access to networks, and resell it to customers at cheaper rates. The service is expected to initially launch in Google Fiber-enabled cities.

The network will allow its users to send texts, make calls, and browse the web the same as current cell phone providers do. It is also rumored that Google may be using their creation of this network to promote their own Nexus-branded phones. Although it is unlikely that phones from competitors will run on Google's own network, it will be interesting to see how existing providers will fair against Google as the company moves to become a prominent cell phone and internet service provider.
    Brought the possibility of BlackBerry doing this up in http://forums.crackberry.com/armchai...ry-rim-857555/ Section 4...

It makes sense for BlackBerry to do this in markets they have the biggest amount of marketshare (African markets, Asian markets)
    04-05-14 02:47 AM
    I'mma guess and say they'll only sell Google products phones lol

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 03:08 AM
    Would such a thing be possible? Blackberry doesn't have the resources Google has.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    04-05-14 03:23 AM
    Would such a thing be possible? Blackberry doesn't have the resources Google has.

MVNO.
    04-05-14 07:26 AM

Of course MVNO's are virtual carriers, they use the available network of other carriers so no infrastructure costs are needed.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 07:40 AM
    Tells me Google is not able to harvest enough personal phone usage data from the existing carriers.
    *Tin-foil hat mode on*

FaceBook and Google = rivals, aye?

FaceBook owns Instagram and now WhatsApp, aye?
    FaceBook made a lot of acquisitions, aye?

But FaceBook is not a network provider, aye?

Google wants access to FaceBook's data, aye?
    But FaceBook doesn't share, aye?

But what if Google becomes a data carrier?

All of FaceBook's defenses can be cracked open, aye?

Better watch out, BlackBerry! The data's going to be cracked!

*tin foil hat mode off*
    04-05-14 12:31 PM
    Of course MVNO's are virtual carriers, they use the available network of other carriers so no infrastructure costs are needed.
    You mean "much lower" infrastructure costs are needed. Plus, there's tons of other costs involved. BB isn't even close to having the cash to be an MVNO right now - they're in survival mode, and still burning a ton of cash. It would take at least a year to get a MVNO off the ground, and a year from now, BB's pockets are going to be virtually empty.
    04-05-14 01:38 PM
    Hahaha google cell service. A carrier now? Data mining your conversations and 100 percent access to everything you do on your phone.

NO THANKS!

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-05-14 02:09 PM
    *Tin-foil hat mode on*

*tin foil hat mode off*
    This!!

Q10SQN100-3/10.2.1.2228, Z30, Z10, iP5, SGS3
    04-05-14 02:09 PM
    *Tin-foil hat mode on*

*tin foil hat mode off*
    I think instead of the tin foil hat, you picked up the pirate hat by mistake.
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-05-14 04:41 PM
    Googs may be interested in selling a bundle package Cell/ISP/TV/handset to its Google Fiber customers. Reduce the cost of bandwidth of MVNO by offering wireless calling like Republic Wireless model. Could work. It'd be better than Comcast for sure.
    04-05-14 07:09 PM
    I think instead of the tin foil hat, you picked up the pirate hat by mistake.
    But aaaaaarrrrrr.....

There be plenty of data to be plundered! What a gold mine! There be riches for Google, and more grog for its employees!

Posted via CB on BB10
    04-05-14 07:49 PM
    Hahaha google cell service. A carrier now? Data mining your conversations and 100 percent access to everything you do on your phone.

NO THANKS!
    Of course, you're TOTALLY COOL with Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile being able to do that...
    04-05-14 07:59 PM
    This is what BlackBerry needs to do. No more BS from agenda based carriers.

Just make it affordable. Lol

emPowered by ?
    04-05-14 08:24 PM
    Also, all this talk about NSA and privacy lately...blah, blah, blah. Guess what, your govt has been spying on you for years now. Citizens have been guinea pigs for weapons testing and the like as well. It's nothing new. The internet's only made it easier. Hell, you can bet doctors are farming DNA via blood work among other personal medical info in your files.

You have no privacy. Move along.

emPowered by ?
    04-05-14 08:32 PM
    This is what BlackBerry needs to do. No more BS from agenda based carriers.

Just make it affordable. Lol

emPowered by ?
    Theorically, plausible. But on the nationalism front. Erm, they are going to get screwed by the NSA and CIA anyway.

So why should they even enter physical carrier market? MVNO has some limited liabilities to that, but its not a "sure make money" scheme. At least NOT yet in the USA.
    04-05-14 09:46 PM
    Google seems like it's going to be Pixar's Buy-N-Large of the future. Poor Wall-E is going to have to save us all.

Posted via CB10
    Mr.Monty and BeautyEh like this.
    04-06-14 11:07 AM
    Google is a despicable company; especially for anyone with a libertarian leaning. Microsoft actively advertises the recent court case where Google admitted they "read, and mine" our emails to better sell us ads. It's what made me jump ship to outlook, lol.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 12:12 PM
    Google is a despicable company; especially for anyone with a libertarian leaning. Microsoft actively advertises the recent court case where Google admitted they "read, and mine" our emails to better sell us ads. It's what made me jump ship to outlook, lol.

Posted via CB10
    There's the Astroturf! I was wondering when that would show up.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 12:45 PM
    They better be careful. Them wiretap laws are a mother****er--especially in two-party consent states.
    04-06-14 12:56 PM