01-23-14 05:04 AM
121 1234 ...
tools
    Not at all. There are people that are cautious to make sure that their personal information and online activities are secure as best as possible but they are in the minority by far. The rest don't know better or they know and still don't worry about it. Just because a large portion of the population falls in the latter category, it doesn't give anyone the right for private or confidential information to be collected and used. The article is all about Google being found guilty of doing that and the majority of users affected by their action were blissfully unaware - those users affected probably still are.

STL 100-1 OS 10.2.1.1925
    Ok, I appreciate the response, brother. Thanks! And, I apologize, if my reply sounded a little combative.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    kbz1960 and m1kr0 like this.
    01-09-14 12:18 AM
    204k on a company that is at 1k a share, how cute.
    anon(5928073) and Blacklatino like this.
    01-09-14 12:28 AM
    Fine small, but inmaterially big hurt on reputation.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 04:39 AM
    Fine small, but inmaterially big hurt on reputation.

Posted via CB10
    Not really, go ask 100 people what they think about this behavior, most, if not all would say "i thought that's what google does"
    kbz1960, shief24 and Toodeurep like this.
    01-09-14 05:34 AM
    Unless the fines are much higher I don't think much will change, who else has the influence to enforce change except the government and the consumer.

Posted using my beloved Z30
    01-09-14 09:11 AM
    Google is a despicable company that has no respect for privacy, intellectual property laws or fair trade practices. It's high time that people gave Google the big finger and removed all their data mining/siphoning tools from daily use. This means using a different search engine, boycotting their services, removing their cloud spyware apps and refusing to buy anything associated with the company - including the Google Play Store (More like "Prey" Store). If one is too stupid not to realise that their Android equipped phone/tablet is nothing more than a data siphoning trojan that is raping their freedom then they are too far gone.
    01-09-14 09:42 AM
    Google is a despicable company that has no respect for privacy, intellectual property laws or fair trade practices. It's high time that people gave Google the big finger and removed all their data mining/siphoning tools from daily use. This means using a different search engine, boycotting their services, removing their cloud spyware apps and refusing to buy anything associated with the company - including the Google Play Store (More like "Prey" Store). If one is too stupid not to realise that their Android equipped phone/tablet is nothing more than a data siphoning trojan that is raping their freedom then they are too far gone.
    Not going to happen. Not only do people scoff at using other search engines, android has ~1 billion activations. That number is so high it would exist for a decade to come if it ended right now.
    01-09-14 11:18 AM
    200k... yeah... that would discourage them. it's basically the court saying: it's illegal but we will tolerate.

Posted via CB10
    semperfi45 likes this.
    01-09-14 11:53 AM
    $204,000...

Google will appeal it until they are sure that France has spent at least that much in legal fees defending the fine, and then pay the fine out of the office's petty cash box

I'm guessing that they couldn't have gotten this much press by putting $204k into the marketing budget. There's a saying that there's no such thing as bad press, and Google has the data to prove that their customers as a whole don't really care about their privacy
    01-09-14 12:45 PM
    Ok, that's fair. Trust me, I know the vast majority of people either don't care to have any privacy, or don't care that what little privacy they have is possibly being bought and sold. As a primarily Android user, I know that Google stores, uses, and sells some of my information. That's why I'm smart about what information I let them have access to (and, I'm sure, I'm not the only Android user that isn't privy to what information I'm willing to diverge to Google, fan or not).

But, in response to the other poster, it's not really fair to isolate one ecosystem and call all of its users gullible. At some point in time, by accessing the internet, we're all giving up some elements of our privacy, whether we like it or not, and/or whether we're aware of it or not.

Just my opinion.

Here's the thing.
    As I'm sure you're more than aware, and I'm pretty positive you have alluded to this on A/C before. I'll use the installing .apk vs average consumer vs CrackBerry Community analogy.

Here's how it goes:
    The average consumer doesn't want to sideload apps, they want to be able to seamlessly go to an app store and install. The only people who sideload is the small community of diehard BlackBerry fans.

Now, I' turn this back to this topic and more precisely your comment above"

"I know that Google stores, uses, and sells some of my information. That's why I'm smart about what information I let them have access to (and, I'm sure, I'm not the only Android user that isn't privy to what information I'm willing to diverge to Google, fan or not)"

The thing is, as repeatedly said by Android users, "Billions of activations", Just like the diehard BlackBerry fans, die hard Android fans that know, understand, and appreciate this are few and far between.
    The average user doesn't want to limit there information, or doesnt know how.

Now the only reason i used the sideloading as an example, is because we as BlackBerry fans sometimes forget that we are NOT the average user.
    And I fear that you may be doing this as well, except in your case the average user isn't the other 5million+ BlackBerry10 users, it's the other 995 Million Android users, and that my friend is scary
    MERCDROID likes this.
    01-09-14 03:18 PM
    Here's the thing.
    As I'm sure you're more than aware, and I'm pretty positive you have alluded to this on A/C before. I'll use the installing .apk vs average consumer vs CrackBerry Community analogy.

Here's how it goes:
    The average consumer doesn't want to sideload apps, they want to be able to seamlessly go to an app store and install. The only people who sideload is the small community of diehard BlackBerry fans.

Now, I' turn this back to this topic and more precisely your comment above"

"I know that Google stores, uses, and sells some of my information. That's why I'm smart about what information I let them have access to (and, I'm sure, I'm not the only Android user that isn't privy to what information I'm willing to diverge to Google, fan or not)"

The thing is, as repeatedly said by Android users, "Billions of activations", Just like the diehard BlackBerry fans, die hard Android fans that know, understand, and appreciate this are few and far between.
    The average user doesn't want to limit there information, or doesnt know how.

Now the only reason i used the sideloading as an example, is because we as BlackBerry fans sometimes forget that we are NOT the average user.
    And I fear that you may be doing this as well, except in your case the average user isn't the other 5million+ BlackBerry10 users, it's the other 995 Million Android users, and that my friend is scary
    I can't/don't have a rebuttal to this analogy, brother!

It is scary, or it can be. I am definitely not the average user anymore; neither are most of us, for that matter.

And, you're completely correct: the average user just may not possess the technological "know-how" to limit the types of information they communicate via Google's services or may be completely ignorant to the fact that they have the ability to limit said information.

But, it does come down to security versus convenience. Which does the person value more? And, can said person be wrong for picking one over the other?
    AngryEdmontonian likes this.
    01-09-14 03:37 PM
    its like pennies on the pennie on the dollar for them. they got deep pockets
    01-09-14 03:40 PM

It is scary, or it can be. I am definitely not the average user anymore; neither are most of us, for that matter.

And, you're completely correct: the average user just may not possess the technological "know-how" to limit the types of information they communicate via Google's services or may be completely ignorant to the fact that they have the ability to limit said information.

But, it does come down to security versus convenience. Which does the person value more? And, can said person be wrong for picking one over the other?
    Methinks convenience wins for the average user. Are they too ignorant to care or are they too lazy to care? Who knows.

Posted via CB10
    MERCDROID and shief24 like this.
    01-09-14 03:42 PM

Here's the unfortunate part to your last question, no one is wrong for making any choice, it's theirs to make.

I always appreciate your responses and insight, even if sometimes we disagree
    MERCDROID likes this.
    01-09-14 03:44 PM
    Here's the unfortunate part to your last question, no one is wrong for making any choice, it's theirs to make.

I always appreciate your responses and insight, even if sometimes we disagree
    Likewise, brother!! I can't have these types of discussions at Android Central. So, trust me, this community is appreciated!!
    Last edited by MERCDROID; 01-09-14 at 04:00 PM.
    01-09-14 03:47 PM
    Methinks convenience wins for the average user. Are they too ignorant to care or are they too lazy to care? Who knows.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, you're probably (more than likely) right. But, at what point does that convenience become a hindrance? I guess, that's a hypothetical that can't really be answered by us right?
    01-09-14 03:50 PM
    [QUOTE=mikr009876;9825002]As I said time and time again before, it is time for BlackBerry to start cashing in on privacy and security breaches. This is yet another example of privacy violations, but the funny thing is, it seems that this happens every day and the world simply is not interested. I have just seen this from Engadget and I'm asking: how much is too much? Is this ever going to stop?

From Engadget: France slaps Google with $204,000 fine for violating privacy laws

France slaps Google with $204,000 fine for violating privacy laws

So lets really look at this. French fine Google over change in privacy policy | PCWorld

So basically this is nothing. At least that's my opinion. Google collapsed all their policies from all their services into one. The French Government doesn't like this. I can't even think of anything to say about this other than whoop dee doo. Another thing was cookies and how long they last. whoop dee doo. Cookies help Google target ads instead of just giving generic ads that they don't know if you even might be interested in. If your using Google products you should know that you give them your data and they give you things for free like Google now and all their other great services. Their is no free lunch.

PS.. The U.S. NSA cracked Black Berry too.
    How the NSA Spies on Smartphones Including the BlackBerry - SPIEGEL ONLINE
    techvisor likes this.
    01-09-14 04:43 PM
    I'm still curious as to why some people still make the claim that Google sells your information. They don't. What Google sells is the ability to deliver an ad to a seller's demographic. Huge difference.

If I make a Google search for, let's say... "Goodrich Tires"... Google doesn't tell Goodrich that I'm interested in buying their tires. Google simply sends me an ad recommending a good deal on BF Goodrich All Terrain Radial TA's at a local dealer. Because Google knows that I'm currently in Colorado, knows that since I searched for tires, assesses the best deal based in consumer reports that they may be the best option for me. I'd be happy to see that.

What Google does NOT do, is contact BF Goodrich, tell them that I'm interested in buying tires, and how to contact me.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    01-09-14 04:43 PM
    Yeah, you're probably (more than likely) right. But, at what point does that convenience become a hindrance? I guess, that's a hypothetical that can't really be answered by us right?
    Mate, you really need to grab yourself a BB10 device (Z10s are cheap). You've had pretty much everything else.

The issue is definitely that people generally don't care about security (the benign kind of security). People would rather get what they want immediately than actually go through a more secure method to get the same thing.

I still use Google on the off chance that Bing doesn't give me the right response. However, I have so many, MANY, emails on my two Gmail accounts that it is too much effort to change them (I've had it since before Google was evil).

I still rather like Android (Not Touchwiz though), but not a fan of the data mining. Again, we aren't the norm but I worry about my folks using their Galaxy Aces and their privacy.

My fiance likes to send me pictures (yes...of herself) on whatsapp but I stold her to rather use BBM since whatsapp is relatively easily intercepted.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    01-09-14 04:45 PM
    I'm still curious as to why some people still make the claim that Google sells your information. They don't. What Google sells is the ability to deliver an ad to a seller's demographic. Huge difference.

If I make a Google search for, let's say... "Goodrich Tires"... Google doesn't tell Goodrich that I'm interested in buying their tires. Google simply sends me an ad recommending a good deal on BF Goodrich All Terrain Radial TA's at a local dealer. Because Google knows that I'm currently in Colorado, knows that since I searched for tires, assesses the best deal based in consumer reports that they may be the best option for me. I'd be happy to see that.

What Google does NOT do, is contact BF Goodrich, tell them that I'm interested in buying tires, and how to contact me.

To be honest, I was always under the impression that Google did, in fact, sell some of my information. Then again, I'm not sure who the buyers would be, lol.

But, that's a great point. And, it is an excellent example of the convenience factor.
    01-09-14 04:46 PM
    Mate, you really need to grab yourself a BB10 device (Z10s are cheap). You've had pretty much everything else.

The issue is definitely that people generally don't care about security (the benign kind of security). People would rather get what they want immediately than actually go through a more secure method to get the same thing.

I still use Google on the off chance that Bing doesn't give me the right response. However, I have so many, MANY, emails on my two Gmail accounts that it is too much effort to change them (I've had it since before Google was evil).

I still rather like Android (Not Touchwiz though), but not a fan of the data mining. Again, we aren't the norm but I worry about my folks using their Galaxy Aces and their privacy.

My fiance likes to send me pictures (yes...of herself) on whatsapp but I stold her to rather use BBM since whatsapp is relatively easily intercepted.
    I am waiting on the next generation of BB10 devices. I will be buying an unlocked version (either Qwerty or touch), when they launch. I was waiting for the price of the Q10 to drop; but, since it's 2014, it can't be much longer until the new BB10 devices are announced (fingers crossed for Mobile World Congress).

I do appreciate the convenience that Android provides, but I'd still like to have a BlackBerry when I want a more secure way of communicating. And, let's be real, being a member of the military, I'm probably long overdue for one, lol.
    01-09-14 04:53 PM
    To be honest, I was always under the impression that Google did, in fact, sell some of my information. Then again, I'm not sure who the buyers would be, lol.

But, that's a great point. And, it is an excellent example of the convenience factor.
    Yeah, a lot of people make that assumption. But it's simply not true.

Yes, it can often become really creepy how accurate Google can be in the delivery. But it's the delivery they sell. Not the info.

Take my previous example... It wasn't just the tires I was looking for, but based upon other unrelated searches, Google can extrapolate that the vehicle I wish to buy the tires for, are for my Jeep Wrangler. Creepy accurate yes... But anybody that Googles me wouldn't know that I own and drive a Jeep Wrangler unless I wanted them to know. Though admittedly this public thread may give it away, but I seriously doubt Google would make the connection.

Maybe sometime next week I will do.a search for "what kind of car does DenverRalphy drive". I doubt it'll come up though.

01-09-14 04:57 PM
    There will come a day when we all will care about data mining our personal info, by then, it will be too late.
    01-09-14 05:01 PM
    There will come a day when we all will care about data mining our personal info, by then, it will be too late.
    Yah, that could be said about anything. "People are worried about companies building robots, but later when they rise up a kill us and you will be sorry." The mining of data is what "most" of us want. Fitness trackers and wifi scales and all these sensors so our homes know when we're home. This "data mining", it seems people want to know more about themselves. Many people want that.
    Last edited by Nicholas Kathrein; 01-09-14 at 07:05 PM.
    techvisor likes this.
    01-09-14 06:38 PM
    Respect for privacy? Their entire business model is selling data. Nobody is forced to use Google products. Therefore I don't see how it can be labeled as evil.
    shief24, milo53 and kbz1960 like this.
    01-09-14 06:49 PM
121 1234 ...