02-17-14 08:14 AM
143 ... 23456
tools
    A couple of days ago didn't google and samsung sign a decade long patent agreement not to sue each other ( my understanding is that google's patents cant be used to defend samsung from other lawsuits, like the samsung apple one) ?

its not all that surprising, the nexus one was not a great launch and the phones that had the " no bloatware" virgin google experience that have done well, were built by other handset makers.
    01-30-14 09:09 AM
    So . . John Chen has Chinese connections and is doing a bang-up job getting BB turned around . . BB outsources handset manufacturing to Foxconn (a Chinese company) . . Lenovo (Chinese) acquires Motorola Mobility . . is there any chance Lenovo uses Foxconn to make Motorola handsets and licenses BB10 to put on them?

There's no logic there, right? A million reasons why that wouldn't happen, right? Purely speculative and circumstantial, right? I'm not smart enough to know, just wondering . . . .
    01-30-14 09:46 AM
    Dumping the handset/mobility division is a good move (handsets being a race to zero). There is/was a value to the name Motorola (much like Nokia) and selling it while retaining white label stuff is the way to go. Now I could be wrong, but Google owns all of Motorola right? So the DVR and cable boxes in my house are all Googles. Content controlling is where they will continue to make money, that and ads.
    01-30-14 10:12 AM
    This is going to be a problem for BlackBerry. Lenovo is now truly an integrated "enterprise devices" company - able to develop and sell everything from tablets to servers. They're disciplined, and have a huge market presence and deep pockets. The only consolation for BlackBerry is that they're not software competent. It may be possible for BlackBerry to work with them to offer MDM solutions.
    01-30-14 10:25 AM
    I think we need to go back a few years and consider the environment in which the mobile communications field was in. The big players were all suing one another for patent/copyright infringement and the truth was that the Android platform was on shaky ground from a legal perspective. I'm pretty sure that was the primary driving force when Mr. Page bought the company. From Google's perspective, it wasn't a bad idea of getting into the hardware space, as software platforms were immature and you really need to know the hardware to get the whole mobile experience to work. Just look of the first generation of Android phones. Motorola had other tangible assets like their satellite boxes, and 2.9 billion cash on hand. The big negative of course was that Motorola was losing 0.5-1 billion per quarter in the hardware business.

So in the end was spending 12.9 billion a good deal. Well, that patent infringement thing didn't add up to a hill of beans and the courts have basically told the big players to stop and go home. Google got 4 billion for the satellite box division, burnt the cash on hand keeping the Motorola afloat, sold the carcass for 2.9 billion and kept the patents which are apparently worth 4 billion (highly unlikely, probably worth less than a billion and they make very little off of licencing). Anyways, it looks like a wash to be honest.

Does this change the landscape. Yes, a little bit. Lenovo obviously wants to get into the mobile space and I wish them luck. They made a quality computer product from the old IBM assets, so if they an do the same thing in the mobile space with old Motorola assets, then good luck. In terms of operating systems, I suspect they will stay with Android and perhaps add in Windows. It would make sense.

As to Blackberry, I don't see this move impacting them. The truth is Blackberry has to some degree stay in the hardware game simply because of their focus on security. Like it or not, no corporate IT guy will ever believe a Blackberry Phone is secure if it is a generic phone coming from China. That is reality at the moment.
    01-30-14 10:30 AM
    Dumping the handset/mobility division is a good move (handsets being a race to zero). There is/was a value to the name Motorola (much like Nokia) and selling it while retaining white label stuff is the way to go. Now I could be wrong, but Google owns all of Motorola right? So the DVR and cable boxes in my house are all Googles. Content controlling is where they will continue to make money, that and ads.
    Google sold off that division to Arris some time back (couple of months ago I think).
    propeller10 likes this.
    01-30-14 10:34 AM
    They sold that to Arris for $2.35 billion.

Sent from my LG-D803 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-30-14 10:40 AM
    True, but their pricing of the Motorola X would have really fooled you.
    The moto X is a great phone for that money.

I sometimes wonder if people here understand mobile tech at all.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Grumblegrumble likes this.
    01-30-14 11:15 AM
    The moto X is a great phone for that money.
    As evident by the sales records that it shattered, right? I mean...after all, that's what you people judge success and quality by around here?

Contract-free launch price for the Motorola X was $550, and specs (another favorite around here) arguably no better than the Galaxy S3's.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    01-30-14 11:51 AM
    This just goes to show that not only blackberry has been flailing in the wind aimlessly. Google has made some blunders, along with MS and neither has pulled out any show stopping moves, but you know, their huge, and can do a better job of adding so called value to their decisions, regardless of their success.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 11:54 AM
    This just goes to show that not only blackberry has been flailing in the wind aimlessly. Google has made some blunders, along with MS and neither has pulled out any show stopping moves, but you know, their huge, and can do a better job of adding so called value to their decisions, regardless of their success.

Posted via CB10
    I think it is VERY hard to compare BBRY's mobile strategy to Google's. The one is very successful, and has been for a while (albeit stumbled backwards into said success IMHO).
    propeller10 and MERCDROID like this.
    01-30-14 11:59 AM
    Last I checked I believe the Moto X is currently selling for $329....
    01-30-14 12:19 PM
    Last I checked I believe the Moto X is currently selling for $329....
    But, as Raino pointed out, it was originally selling for $550. And, I won't lie, I thought it was overpriced from jump street.

To see the price drop several times only validates my assumption, in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Mobile Nations mobile app
    raino likes this.
    01-30-14 12:26 PM
    So . . John Chen has Chinese connections and is doing a bang-up job getting BB turned around . . BB outsources handset manufacturing to Foxconn (a Chinese company) . . Lenovo (Chinese) acquires Motorola Mobility . . is there any chance Lenovo uses Foxconn to make Motorola handsets and licenses BB10 to put on them?

There's no logic there, right? A million reasons why that wouldn't happen, right? Purely speculative and circumstantial, right? I'm not smart enough to know, just wondering . . . .
    Yah tin foil hat time

Lenovo is mainland Chinese. Foxconn is Taiwanese. The difference is pretty important over there. Foxconn is a manufacturer that has plants in China and other places. Lenovo is a very big company that does it's own production.

The common factor. Is it is hard to make money manufacturing phones in North America. Sorry that's all.

Also Lenovo has spare cash to risk on this. They already makes a cap load of phones so what they are buying is a grand name like "Thinkpad". What makes sense in PRC may not make sense anywhere else.

So is your conspiracy a plan to control a bunch of failing products????

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 12:41 PM
    Now I could be wrong, but Google owns all of Motorola right? So the DVR and cable boxes in my house are all Googles. Content controlling is where they will continue to make money, that and ads.
    Google owned all of Motorola Mobility. Motorola, Inc. spun off its mobile branch and renamed itself Motorola Solutions some time in 2011.

So your cable box may have nothing to do with Google/Lenovo/Motorola Mobility at all. I believe all the networking stuff is Motorola Solutions, which they then subsequently sold to some other party. It's confusing who owns what.
    01-30-14 12:54 PM
    Perhaps an obvious comment, but the rumors of Lenovo wanting to buy BlackBerry were likely true. It would have been a good match, but Motorola is also a good match for Lenovo. I still miss using my KRZR, it was a solid and sleek feeling flip phone that was very Star Trek meets modern day. Anyhow, this was a missed opportunity for BlackBerry for sure, thanks to the Canadian government. I doubt very much any spying or security issues would have occurred simply because Lenovo is a Chinese company (unlike US companies that bent over for their NSA...). Irrational racism is still alive and kicking I guess.

Magnificently composed using CB10 on my BB Z10!
    01-30-14 01:12 PM
    Perhaps an obvious comment, but the rumors of Lenovo wanting to buy BlackBerry were likely true. It would have been a good match, but Motorola is also a good match for Lenovo. I still miss using my KRZR, it was a solid and sleek feeling flip phone that was very Star Trek meets modern day. Anyhow, this was a missed opportunity for BlackBerry for sure, thanks to the Canadian government. I doubt very much any spying or security issues would have occurred simply because Lenovo is a Chinese company (unlike US companies that bent over for their NSA...). Irrational racism is still alive and kicking I guess.

It wasn't a rumor. Lenovo wanted to buy BB but couldn't get approval. I am glad the deal didn't go through.
    01-30-14 01:28 PM
    I doubt very much any spying or security issues would have occurred simply because Lenovo is a Chinese company (unlike US companies that bent over for their NSA...). Irrational racism is still alive and kicking I guess.

Unlike American or most foreign corporations, the bulk of Chinese corporations are either state controlled or have deep state connections. This is a transition phase from the rigid Communist model where everything was state controlled to a slightly more relaxed model of semi-independent companies. (This is comparable to USPS or Fannie Mae except tighter control and applying to every Chinese corporation.) Hand over data after a request from the NSA? Lenovo/Huawei/etc. IS the Chinese government so no such request is necessary.

Not to mention that Green Dam is already installed on every Chinese computer so the entire concept of an NSA style "request" is rather silly. China already has NSA-level access to all its domestic computer's information 100% of the time. China is not secretive/inconspicuous about this at all. It's citizens know about it and they don't care.

That perspective shows a gross lack of understanding about how things work in China.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 01-30-14 at 04:01 PM.
    techvisor and JeepBB like this.
    01-30-14 03:25 PM
    Not only what you said but also the branch of the government that is a required partner is the military and there is no civilian oversight to speak of. Despite modernization PRC is a single party military dictatorship - Chinese style. To say the population doesn't care is beside the point as they have no say.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 04:12 PM
    But, as Raino pointed out, it was originally selling for $550. And, I won't lie, I thought it was overpriced from jump street.

To see the price drop several times only validates my assumption, in my opinion.

I paid about the same for mine as I paid for my Q10. I thought the Q10 was by far the worst of the two value wise.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    01-30-14 04:16 PM
    I paid about the same for mine as I paid for my Q10. I thought the Q10 was by far the worst of the two value wise.
    That would honestly depend on how much you value the QWERTY keyboard of the Q10.

As for Operating System, you couldn't really go wrong with either, as long as your app and feature needs were met.

01-30-14 04:52 PM
    What the heck is this rubbish? Misleading title just a little? Google didn't "get out" of the market - they kept all their patents and are working with Lenovo - and what's this other crap about BlackBerry? This isn't news nor is this rumour - it's you being an attention wh0re.

Reported as off-topic.
    raino and propeller10 like this.
    01-30-14 05:48 PM
    its funny how Lenovo is being sneered at and their products trash talked now that they bought something from Google but people were talking them up and saying theyre a great, strong company when it was rumoured Lenovo was in talks to buy BlackBerry last year and then talked up again later before we got the $1b investment instead as a possible candidate to rally behind when BlackBerry was offering itself up for sale
    01-30-14 06:25 PM
    Lenovo buys Google's handset business for $2.91B | ZDNet

I guess that "made in America" campaign didn't work out too well.
    Google replaced Motorola... remember, they bought Nest (hardware) and they just partnered with Samsung for 10 years (software). I think they're taking things to a next level this year or next year.
    01-30-14 06:53 PM
    That would honestly depend on how much you value the QWERTY keyboard of the Q10.

As for Operating System, you couldn't really go wrong with either, as long as your app and feature needs were met.

That's a good point. I prefer the physical keyboard. But I think that the Swype keyboard comes close enough, in fact I'm starting to like it better than the physical keyboard, that the voice activation and apps really make it stand apart from the Q10.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    MERCDROID likes this.
    01-30-14 08:09 PM
143 ... 23456