https://qz.com/1131515/google-collec...-are-disabled/

I wonder if this happens on BB10 as well with Android apps that use/need Play services.
    11-21-17 10:51 AM
    Based on "Google was apparently collecting cell tower data from all modern Android devices before being contacted by Quartz.", not sure Android 4.3 is considered a "modern" version of Android.

Would really depend on if the Runtime had access to this info to begin with... In the end I doubt we will ever known.
    11-21-17 11:07 AM
    I think it is very unlikely that BB10 is affected by this particular issue. But, of course we will never know for sure.
    11-21-17 11:12 AM
    You all know technology better than me. I was on the dumb side of campus in B-School. That being said, the language of the agreements for anything Google related allows for all types of tracking.. In business, anything valuable, like data, will always be gathered. I would expect that BB10 users gave their consent to access this data with every Android downloaded app.
    11-21-17 11:23 AM
    I think it is very unlikely that BB10 is affected by this particular issue. But, of course we will never know for sure.
    If that makes you feel better. I think we paid the same price as everyone does to access the Android ecosystem. It's like a drop of dangerous contaminant in your bottle of purified water. Isn't pure anymore, even if you can't see it.
    11-21-17 11:26 AM
    If that makes you feel better. I think we paid the same price as everyone does to access the Android ecosystem. It's like a drop of dangerous contaminant in your bottle of purified water. Isn't pure anymore, even if you can't see it.
    To be fair, the BB10 runtime is a Android fork and a heavily modified one at that. On its own and with BB World I doubt there's much going on but who knows where things stand with third party stores, sites, and services.
    11-21-17 01:35 PM
    I believe the android ecosystem is a sad compromise that one day we will have to explain to our offsprings but we will not have any worthy arguments...
    11-21-17 03:28 PM
    Offsprings (for that particular post) = children born after 2010 and those that will be born in the next half decade... this generation will either be completely androidized or hopefully will do something about it.
    11-21-17 03:31 PM