10-09-14 02:31 PM
69 123
tools
    Stereotyping is typical of many, but certainly not all, BlackBerry faithful on these forums.
    This is a BlackBerry forum. Did you forget that or did you get lost?
    09-01-14 09:10 PM
    This is a BlackBerry forum. Did you forget that or did you get lost?
    So are you admitting that you and some other BlackBerry users on this forum are making biased and oversimplified generalizations about others?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    09-01-14 09:38 PM
    So are you admitting that you and some other BlackBerry users on this forum are making biased and oversimplified generalizations about others?

What kind of question is that? I'm saying that this is CrackBerry. A BlackBerry fan site. What kind of responses do you expect from people that like BlackBerry? So you're saying that the Apple forums don't have people that stick-up for Apple? Android forums don't have people that stick-up for android? If you don't like the BlackBerry fanboyism here, then maybe you are in the wrong forum?
    09-01-14 10:57 PM
    What kind of question is that? I'm saying that this is CrackBerry. A BlackBerry fan site. What kind of responses do you expect from people that like BlackBerry? So you're saying that the Apple forums don't have people that stick-up for Apple? Android forums don't have people that stick-up for android? If you don't like the BlackBerry fanboyism here, then maybe you are in the wrong forum?
    I have no idea what is on Apple fan sites. I don't own any Apple products so I have no reason to go to any of them.

What I am saying is that we should be above biased and stereotypical comments. As BlackBerry users we hate it when others make generalized comments about BlackBerry but then some people here do the exact same thing. That's hypocritical at best.

We're better than that. Or at least we should be.

Last edited by crazigee; 09-01-14 at 11:28 PM.
    09-01-14 11:11 PM
    CB also happens to be part of the larger Mobile Nations collection of tech sites and they encourage cross platform discussion. This is something I've heard the staff remark themselves on various MN branches. I doubt very much the people who run MN sites intend for each branch to be polarized exclusively for just the fans of each platform alone. You have to remember, many people are users of multiple platforms nowadays. Including the owners and employees of MN.
    Good points and I agree mostly with them. My point is that any forum for a particular platform is going to be somewhat biased. I don't own any apple or android products but I sometimes visit their forums and READ (I don't post) what others have to say. There is fanboyism on all other platforms, not just here on CrackBerry. So if people don't like the BlackBerry fanboyism, they should expect it if they are at a BlackBerry forum and accept it or move to a forum that best suits their feelings.
    The Big Picture likes this.
    09-02-14 09:01 AM
    All you android users are the same. You root your phones and install custom ROM's to protect yourselves from the privacy invasions of Google and their app developers. Wouldn't that mean that now when using any of Googles services or using any ad supported apps that YOU are also breaking Googles terms of service and the Apps ability to make money? So what you do to keep your privacy and prevent apps from functioning as they should is OK, but when someone else tries to help others keep their privacy you are against it?
    Why use an android phone if you have to go to such great extremes as rooting and installing ROM's to protect your privacy?
    I've not once rooted or ROM'd my phone to get away from Google and it's data mining. I do the rooting because I enjoy having full control over my phone, I do the ROMing because I'm a geek and enjoy putting customs software on my phone. Some of them have features that are pretty damn amazing tbh.

I use privacy functions because I sideboard apps so my data is protected and because of this all other apps are blocked from seeing the data and guess what, it doesn't break function of the app. I use ad blockers because I don't wanna see ads.

Could I get these functions from other OSes? With the iPhone, a little as jailbreaking opens up opportunities. Windows I'm unsure of tbh. With BlackBerry, nope I'm stuck with what I've got even if I don't like it. Android offers me endless opportunities.
    Poirots Progeny and mornhavon like this.
    09-02-14 11:10 AM
    It is things like this that really make me question the partnership that Blackberry has with Amazon and its reliance on the android runtime for applications. With Blackberry you are the customer, with Google you are the product. This is a very different approach to business. My distrust of Google is such that I have it blacklisted in my router's firewall.
    09-29-14 08:15 AM
    Let's try some facts.

Google decided by a majority vote to withdraw their services from China because they disagreed with the authoritarian regime's draconian desires to control and censor them.

Google unequivocally denounced the British secret service's illegal tapping into their data centers when they found out about it and proceeded to encrypt everything worldwide.

Google announced that they will continue encrypting all user data by default, and publicly denounced the FBI recently for protesting it. Google went on record to say they will only respond to legally obtained subpoenas.

Eric Schmidt went on record to say Google never has, doesn't, and never will entertain relationships with intelligence agencies.

Doesn't sound like a company that doesn't have my interests protected to me.
    All that means is that only Google will have this "knowledge is power" power over those that use Google products, instead of governments. It's the idea that Google is somehow "better" than the US government or the UK government is what I find interesting: they are a private organization made up of human beings without any "laws" internal to their company to govern how they use that data other than what they decide. They publish a privacy policy and users just shrug and agree and let Google have data that users would absolutely not allow their own government to have. This information is only as anonymous as Google wants it to be for as long as Google wants it to be anonymous: they have all the data to make it very UNanonymous (or are you suggestion that they don't log the IPs of data they accrue? There's no third-party audit of this, so how would anyone know?)

Just trust Google because they're all nice nerds and no nerd would EVER do anything bad... until they do... but by then they'll know so much about you and you won't be able to ask them to UNknow it. This absolute trust in a private company smacks of Max Headroom. It's amusing.

Didn't I have to change my Google and Facebook password because of the Heartbleed bug? I think I did. So... why do I trust Google with my private information? *I* don't. I'm just baffled that so many do.

...but back on the topic, Google, a private company, can kick anyone they want out of their private service, and being appalled isn't going to make them change if it cuts into their bottom line: anyone who runs AdWords campaigns knows this.
    10-07-14 11:46 PM
    Soo what's this thread resurrection about? Someone not understanding the point "with Google you are the product" that was made in the last post?
    10-08-14 12:29 AM
    Soo what's this thread resurrection about? Someone not understanding the point "with Google you are the product" that was made in the last post?
    Well the implication when that statement is made is that Google is selling your personally identifiable info to the ad buyers which indicates they don't understand the business model. If they just said 'Google has alot of info on me and I don't feel comfortable with it' then thats a different discussion. The resulting threads revolve around this time and time again.

On the topic of OP, news stories indicate the Disconnect Mobile app was allowed back in the Playstore after clarifying that its not an ad blocker but I don't see it in the Playstore and there is no updated info on their blog about the subject.
    10-08-14 01:06 AM
    Well the implication when that statement is made is that Google is selling your personally identifiable info to the ad buyers which indicates they don't understand the business model.
    I definitely did not get that implication from the post. The poster's mistrust could have come from what all Google tries to collect and how it collects, not necessarily what it does with it.

--

BTW: GCreep: Google Engineer Stalked Teens, Spied on Chats (Updated)

So not just a pretty weak and long winded argument.
    10-08-14 01:16 AM
    I definitely did not get that implication from the post. The poster's mistrust could have come from what all Google tries to collect and how it collects, not necessarily what it does with it.

--
    Well the appropriate phrase is then 'You are the resource'.

In answering my previous question Google again removed their app from the Playstore which is something I don't agree with.
    10-08-14 01:51 AM
    seems pretty simple to me. He tried to distribute it in the wrong place.

Google will of course defend their goose that lays the golden egg. Distributing it in Google's own app store seems idiotic, as it clearly violates the terms they lay down. Call them evil for that, sure, anything you like, but they are King of their little mountain, and you play by the rules they set. Its not about if they are being evil or not unless you enjoy pontification, its about practicalities. If he really wants it out there, he'd do better to try another market place without those rules, or distribute it from their own site.
    10-08-14 09:21 AM
    Gotta love links to click bait that prove nothing. The guy went rogue, and was fired for it. You can get weirdos in any company.
    Where were the internal security measures to prevent this guy from doing what he did? Why did it take notifying Google to have this guy removed, where were the internal audits? Does that mean if there's no victim reporting, there are no violations?

But nice try at moving the goal posts. BTW, he isn't the only employee who's been fired: Google fired engineer for privacy breach - CNET (I hope CNET is less click-baity for you?)
    10-08-14 10:07 AM
    OK so we have known violators vs your "maybe they'll abuse it someday" theory. That's a pretty weak (although long winded) argument.
    I'm saying "inevitably they'll abuse it someday", and they already may be, how would you know?

Gotta love links to click bait that prove nothing. The guy went rogue, and was fired for it. You can get weirdos in any company.
    With your logic, governments should be trusted, because their rules often dictate respect for the citzenry, but all too often rogue operatives / agencies abuse that trust.

No one said that it would be "institutional abuse" sanctioned by the CEO or in their corporate mandate: it's this exact kind of thing that is a problem: organized crime plants a mole in Google and bob's your deceased uncle
    offyoutoddle likes this.
    10-08-14 03:15 PM
    indeed. Once an organisation have information you don't want them to have in an ideal world, it becomes not just about how they use it, but how well they protect it on your behalf, from internal and external threats.

I'm saying "inevitably they'll abuse it someday", and they already may be, how would you know?

With your logic, governments should be trusted, because their rules often dictate respect for the citzenry, but all too often rogue operatives / agencies abuse that trust.

No one said that it would be "institutional abuse" sanctioned by the CEO or in their corporate mandate: it's this exact kind of thing that is a problem: organized crime plants a mole in Google and bob's your deceased uncle
    10-08-14 03:26 PM
    Individual data snooping at a company is happening unsanctioned and it gets dealt with. Therefore I trust the latter more.
    We believe different things. I don't want the government OR Google to have the kind of information Google collects, because of the human failings involved. I believe google's current situation is scary because there is no accountability. with the government there is SOME accountability.

people vote for regimes that promise them safety over civil liberties. I vote by avoiding use of Google services, and am more than willing to do without the perceived benefits which remain largely imperceptible to me.

Posted via CB10
    raino likes this.
    10-09-14 11:57 AM
    Government surveiling an individual (even though most people are not targets of this surveillance,) even in the name of "national security"= bad bad bad
    Google collecting all kinds of data--with no oversight--about an individual in the name of "company profit"=good. Take off the tinfoil, yo.

#googlefanlogic
    spike12 likes this.
    10-09-14 12:21 PM
    Devil's Advocate....

Technically an EMM that offers a secure container would violate the ToS. It restricts apps from the data as well.
    10-09-14 02:31 PM
69 123