10-09-14 01:31 PM
69 123
tools
    Apparently you think Google is running a charity. They're running a business, if you don't like the business don't agree to the terms and then cry when they object to you not adhering terms you agreed to. I'm not a developer and I understood them easily enough. Then again I'm not trying to drum up business for a security company by creating problems for me to capitalize on.
    Man, how does any other business stay alive without data mining? Some companies obviously engage in magic...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-31-14 10:43 AM
    slagman5, I agree with you. The app Google banned does NOT stop ad's. If some people would just read the whole article they would see that Google does not want anything at all that prevents anything to do with their ridiculous tracking and profiling. This app was simply to stop behind the scenes tracking and profiling and could help prevent malware infections. Why would Google ban that? Because they track and data mine behind the scenes and don't want anyone interfering with that.
    08-31-14 10:50 AM
    The guy who developed the app is just trying to help people. Read the whole article. Google is relentless in their pursuit to build profiles of everyone. How is that not malicious when you don't want that.
    08-31-14 11:27 AM
    slagman5, I agree with you. The app Google banned does NOT stop ad's. If some people would just read the whole article they would see that Google does not want anything at all that prevents anything to do with their ridiculous tracking and profiling. This app was simply to stop behind the scenes tracking and profiling and could help prevent malware infections. Why would Google ban that? Because they track and data mine behind the scenes and don't want anyone interfering with that.
    I haven't tried the app myself, but from the description that's what I'm getting to. I don't get all of the people claiming this is somehow preventing ad revenue...

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    08-31-14 11:58 AM
    For the record, I found it and tried it on 10.3.0.1054.

Crashed on open.
    08-31-14 12:30 PM
    For the record, I found it and tried it on 10.3.0.1054.

Crashed on open.
    It's not made for the BlackBerry browser or BB10. It's made for android and iOS. Even though BlackBerry has an android runtime it does not mean all android apps will work.
    08-31-14 02:03 PM
    Yep...understood, I expected it not to work.

....still had to test it for myself.

Thought I'd share....
    lift and bungaboy like this.
    08-31-14 02:25 PM
    This is not the conspiracy theory type hysteria...

I believe this is a real world issue that is only growing.

We are in the information age and information is power. There is great value to information for a reason. Are we to sit back and just ignore the fact that we are being data mined, not in our own interest, and just throw up our collective hands and let it be?
    lift likes this.
    08-31-14 05:17 PM
    And another one.

08-31-14 07:12 PM
    Agree or disagree. Quit the arguing and personal attacks or the thread gets permanently closed, and more.

Now go on and be happy.

Google Banned A Privacy Tool Called 'Disconnect Mobile' From The Android App Store-dt7e6eenc.jpeg
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    08-31-14 07:41 PM
    Lets stay on topic shall we? Google are the greatest data miners in the techverse, obviously they dont want any apps disrupting that because how else will they feed their search monopoly and free apps for the masses?

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-31-14 07:51 PM
    Here is the download link for it

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9i4m9paozf...obile.apk?dl=0

Posted via CB10
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    08-31-14 08:52 PM
    Google has every right to make money and have rules that prevent apps that impede them doing so. If people don't like the rules then they don't have submit apps for inclusion in Google Play. Simple.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    m1a1mg and TGR1 like this.
    08-31-14 09:35 PM
    Lets stay on topic shall we? Google are the greatest data miners in the techverse, obviously they dont want any apps disrupting that because how else will they feed their search monopoly and free apps for the masses?

Posted via CB10
    The closer they get to achieving dominance, the closer I get to being a genetically and robotically enhanced cybernetic organism, wired into this
    Google building vault to store all human knowledge - The Times of India
    08-31-14 10:40 PM
    The closer they get to achieving dominance, the closer I get to being a genetically and robotically enhanced cybernetic organism, wired into this
    Google building vault to store all human knowledge - The Times of India
    No wonder they bought all the robotics companies just recently. Some with existing military contracts!

http://gizmodo.com/a-humans-guide-to...ots-1509799897

Let all become google's androids! Hopefully google buys some weapons companies too (im sure they will, its just a matter of time). I'd like some built in rocket launchers in my forearm or a nice shoulder mounted machine gun ala war machine.

They'll probably give it all for free too! In exchange of data mining everything you see and do of course.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-14 01:56 AM
    According to the disconnect tool, these are the biggest culprits that are currently blocked:
    airbrake.io appboy.com appsflyer.com apsalar.com bango.combango.org bango.net basic-check.disconnect.me bugsense.com burstly.com chartboost.com count.ly crashlytics.com crittercism.com custom-blacklisted-tracking-example.com flurry.com getexceptional.com inmobi.com jumptap.com localytics.com mixpanel.com mobile-collector.newrelic.com mobileapptracking.com playtomic.com stathat.com supercell.net tapjoy.com usergrid.com vungle.com

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.3.0.1052
    lift likes this.
    09-01-14 02:40 AM
    So, what's up with it?
    Still, Google doesn't have to ban it.
    Hehehe
    Last edited by systemvolker; 09-01-14 at 05:40 PM.
    lift likes this.
    09-01-14 02:59 AM
    I had a quick look at one of them: According to BusinessWeek,
    http://investing.businessweek.com/re...capId=24048407
    "Jumptap, Inc. operates a mobile audience targeting platform that provides audience-centric advertising solutions to reach mobile users in the United States and internationally. It works with advertisers to use the solutions, such as cross-screen, rich media and video, application promo and lead generation, mobile social, tablet, holiday and event sponsorship, and content solutions to create campaigns in various industries, including automotive, consumer packaged goods, retail, travel and entertainment, consumer technology, finance, quick serve restaurant, and politics; provides publishers with relevant advertisements through targeting, a product suite, a sponsorships program, match key partn..."

They have subsequently been acquired:
    http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/13/mi...-buys-jumptap/
    Mobile ad firm Millennial Media buys Jumptap to help it fight Google
    "Millennial Media was one of the top 10 mobile advertising companies we recently spotlighted. The company is now the leading independent player in mobile advertising outside of Google.

Adding the Boston-based Jumptap team and tech to Millennials portfolio will give it even more firepower to take on Google. Combined with Jumptap, Millennial says the combined entity will deliver market-leading data, targeting, video, rich-media, cross-screen, programmatic bidding/buying, and measurement solutions.

Being direct competition to Google, they are also collecting data - and the data is obviously not covered by Google privacy policies. Its clear there's a lot of data going out from within the Android environment that is not directly going to Google. So who else gets the data?

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.3.0.1052
    lift likes this.
    09-01-14 03:24 AM
    Root, xtreolite rom, xposed and xprivacy. Most issues solved - offer at least mitigated. And no need to install this sort of app (because, ironically, all the rest were installed).

Google has every right to block apps it deems are in violation of its tos, and inimical to its business.

Not happy with it? Root and room or buy something else.
    Sent using tapatalk!
    JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    09-01-14 11:05 AM
    Oh, xprivacy isn't in the play store either, but then you need the xposed mod framework to enable it.
    Sent using tapatalk!
    09-01-14 11:07 AM
    Root, xtreolite rom, xposed and xprivacy. Most issues solved - offer at least mitigated. And no need to install this sort of app (because, ironically, all the rest were installed).

Google has every right to block apps it deems are in violation of its tos, and inimical to its business.

Not happy with it? Root and room or buy something else.
    Sent using tapatalk!
    All you android users are the same. You root your phones and install custom ROM's to protect yourselves from the privacy invasions of Google and their app developers. Wouldn't that mean that now when using any of Googles services or using any ad supported apps that YOU are also breaking Googles terms of service and the Apps ability to make money? So what you do to keep your privacy and prevent apps from functioning as they should is OK, but when someone else tries to help others keep their privacy you are against it?
    Why use an android phone if you have to go to such great extremes as rooting and installing ROM's to protect your privacy?
    09-01-14 12:26 PM
    All you android users are the same. You root your phones and install custom ROM's to protect yourselves from the privacy invasions of Google and their app developers. Wouldn't that mean that now when using any of Googles services or using any ad supported apps that YOU are also breaking Googles terms of service and the Apps ability to make money? So what you do to keep your privacy and prevent apps from functioning as they should is OK, but when someone else tries to help others keep their privacy you are against it?
    Why use an android phone if you have to go to such great extremes as rooting and installing ROM's to protect your privacy?
    People root for a thousand reasons... Just like BB10 has the Android runtime... Options for the consumer. Since you can adjust the settings on the fly, rooting is beneficial.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    09-01-14 01:26 PM

I'm not against any app. When did I say I was against it? I'm all for that sort of thing. And I don't use ANY google services, no play, nothing. We have our own boutique suite of apps, silent circle, call encryption etc. Oh, the q10 is my personal phone. So calm down.
    09-01-14 01:36 PM
    People root for a thousand reasons... Just like BB10 has the Android runtime... Options for the consumer. Since you can adjust the settings on the fly, rooting is beneficial.

Right! I was merely pointing out the way to get similar functionality and/or be free of ads and getting gouged by Google. Android can be made surprisingly pleasant and "secure", but then using Google services is a no no, if one wants to go that route.
    lift likes this.
    09-01-14 01:39 PM
    I own android devices and I don't root them. I also see no issue with Google enforcing their TOS which is fully within their rights. Now that you've just met someone who doesn't do everything you just said, I guess we're not all alike after all. Good job painting everyone with the same brush though.
    Stereotyping is typical of many, but certainly not all, BlackBerry faithful on these forums. It seems ok for them to stereotype about people who use other platforms but should anyone say anything negative about BlackBerry they get their panties in bunch.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Last edited by crazigee; 09-01-14 at 04:39 PM.
    09-01-14 04:24 PM
69 123