10-09-14 01:31 PM
69 123
tools
    Why Google Banned Connect Mobile - Business Insider

Google wants your data and is trying hard to make sure nobody interferes with that. "Disconnect" is a popular add on for the firefox browser.
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    08-30-14 11:36 AM
    The reason they gave for removing it seems legit enough

Google sent Disconnect an email telling the startup that the app violated a rule. Google doesn't allow any app in its store that "interferes with" other apps.
    if the disconnect app stops other apps from perhaps working as they should that is a problem.
    techvisor likes this.
    08-30-14 11:44 AM

if the disconnect app stops other apps from perhaps working as they should that is a problem.
    Unless "working as they should" is the problem to begin with.

Posted via CB10
    lift, Gerii, nyplaya610 and 13 others like this.
    08-30-14 11:47 AM

I don't think they stop other apps from working just stops the tracking and data mining functions. The reason they give can be applied to almost any app if you think about it. It just boils down to your "interpretation" of what sets "interfere" apart from "interact."

?Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    lift, raino, zephyr613 and 3 others like this.
    08-30-14 11:48 AM
    yes you can't have an app in the Playstore that blocks the free app w/ ads model of other apps. They've done this before with AdBlock and other variants so its not a new issue.
    08-30-14 11:49 AM
    yes you can't have an app in the Playstore that blocks the free app w/ ads model of other apps. They've done this before with AdBlock and other variants so its not a new issue.
    Did you read the article? It doesn't block ad's. It blocks hidden tracking and data mining. Go read the whole article again if you didn't understand it the first time. I see no problem with that app trying to protect peoples privacy and security and of course, Google sees it in another way.
    theRock1975 and bungaboy like this.
    08-30-14 12:27 PM
    Did you read the article? It doesn't block ad's. It blocks hidden tracking and data mining. Go read the whole article again if you didn't understand it the first time. I see no problem with that app trying to protect peoples privacy and security and of course, Google sees it in another way.
    [4.4 Prohibited Actions. You agree that you will not engage in any activity with the Market, including the development or distribution of Products, that interferes with, disrupts, damages, or accesses in an unauthorized manner the devices, servers, networks, or other properties or services of any third party including, but not limited to, Android users, Google or any mobile network operator. You may not use customer information obtained from the Market to sell or distribute Products outside of the Market.""
    Google determined their app prevented the function of the ad networks among them ad targeting. People may not agree with their interpretation of it. I think the only way that app could be let back into the Playstore if it only allowed user driven intervention on a per app basis instead of a wholesale or automated process.
    08-30-14 01:10 PM
    Google determined their app prevented the function of the ad networks among them ad targeting. People may not agree with their interpretation of it. I think the only way that app could be let back into the Playstore if it only allowed user driven intervention on a per app basis instead of a wholesale or automated process.
    Interferes, disrupts, or accesses... seems like they've covered every base possible for whenever one app interacts with another app... Which leaves it up to Google to use their own discretion on which apps they will enforce this on and which ones they don't.

08-30-14 02:55 PM
    Interferes, disrupts, or accesses... seems like they've covered every base possible for whenever one app interacts with another app... Which leaves it up to Google to use their own discretion on which apps they will enforce this on and which ones they don't.

Of course, thats how TOS work. Maximize the benefit of whomever writes it. My guess is that Google does not want to be in the business of examining source code on apps so even if Disconnect does what is says it does and only prevents info to 'bad' actors Google does not want to take on the responsibility to make sure it doesn't impact their revenue stream and revenue stream to devs who use ads because if Disconnect is successful there will be hundreds of 'me too' apps that will have to be reviewed down to the source code.
    mornhavon likes this.
    08-30-14 03:06 PM
    Has anyone tried this app in the Android runtime?

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 03:41 PM
    Oh, oh, Google...

( Can we get the APK for our 'Berries.... ? )

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    08-30-14 04:43 PM
    Of course, thats how TOS work. Maximize the benefit of whomever writes it. My guess is that Google does not want to be in the business of examining source code on apps so even if Disconnect does what is says it does and only prevents info to 'bad' actors Google does not want to take on the responsibility to make sure it doesn't impact their revenue stream and revenue stream to devs who use ads because if Disconnect is successful there will be hundreds of 'me too' apps that will have to be reviewed down to the source code.
    Exactly. Leave it to magazine writers who have to meet quotas to spindoctor a story and misinformed people who take the bait though.

If you look further into Casey Oppenheim and Disconnect you'll quickly discover he's just another one of those self interested "security" people who sell FUD to prey on paranoia and easily misled and uneducated users to boost his business.

Now if you want actual facts instead of a mobile tech version of Alex Jones, try this from one of the responses to the article:

They did provide an explanation, section 4.4 of the developer distribution agreement, I'm no lawyer but to me that section clearly bans these type of app.*
    ""
    4.4 Prohibited Actions. You agree that you will not engage in any activity with the Market, including the development or distribution of Products, that interferes with, disrupts, damages, or accesses in an unauthorized manner the devices, servers, networks, or other properties or services of any third party including, but not limited to, Android users, Google or any mobile network operator. You may not use customer information obtained from the Market to sell or distribute Products outside of the Market.""

This section makes it pretty clear that anything that attempts to stop other apps from connecting to the internet or from earning money through advertising is going to be banned. The developer distribution agreement is very easy to read and understand, it took me less than 15 minutes, perhaps if they did read the agreement that they wouldn't have wasted thousands of hours building a app that wasn't compliant with Google play rules.

So yes, Oppenheim did break the TOS. He's full of it.
    Last edited by jonnaver; 08-30-14 at 06:05 PM.
    mornhavon likes this.
    08-30-14 05:55 PM
    Exactly. Leave it to magazine writers who have to meet quotas to spindoctor a story and misinformed people who take the bait though.

If you look further into Casey Oppenheim and Disconnect you'll quickly discover he's just another one of those self interested "security" people who sell FUD to prey on paranoia and easily misled and uneducated users to boost his business.

Now if you want actual facts instead of a mobile tech version of Alex Jones, try this from one of the responses to the article:

They did provide an explanation, section 4.4 of the developer distribution agreement, I'm no lawyer but to me that section clearly bans these type of app.*
    ""
    4.4 Prohibited Actions. You agree that you will not engage in any activity with the Market, including the development or distribution of Products, that interferes with, disrupts, damages, or accesses in an unauthorized manner the devices, servers, networks, or other properties or services of any third party including, but not limited to, Android users, Google or any mobile network operator. You may not use customer information obtained from the Market to sell or distribute Products outside of the Market.""

This section makes it pretty clear that anything that attempts to stop other apps from connecting to the internet or from earning money through advertising is going to be banned. The developer distribution agreement is very easy to read and understand, it took me less than 15 minutes, perhaps if they did read the agreement that they wouldn't have wasted thousands of hours building a app that wasn't compliant with Google play rules.

So yes, Oppenheim did break the TOS. He's full of it.
    No doubt that you completely agree with Google. Peoples privacy and security mean nothing to Google if it is going to interfere at all with their tracking, data collecting and data mining. Nice of you to show your true colors and let everyone here know that it doesn't matter to you what these companies do with your privacy. Well, Oppenheim cares about peoples privacy and security and was trying to help people out. Now you slam him about it and try to discredit him. you also try to discredit the author. I didn't realize you are such an expert on these things. To you and some of the other die hard android fans around here, Google is perfect and does no harm. That's pretty sad if you ask me.
    acovey and The Big Picture like this.
    08-30-14 07:18 PM
    So it seems like Google can get away with murder in its ToS, and the ones calling them out would be the "tech versions of Alex Jones," because hey...it's in the ToS, man. You can't violate the ToS. You may not use customer information obtained from the Market to sell or distribute Products outside of the Market, but we sure may.
    lift, eddy_berry, bungaboy and 2 others like this.
    08-30-14 10:07 PM
    So it seems like Google can get away with murder in its ToS, and the ones calling them out would be the "tech versions of Alex Jones," because hey...it's in the ToS, man. You can't violate the ToS. You may not use customer information obtained from the Market to sell or distribute Products outside of the Market, but we sure may.
    Apparently you think Google is running a charity. They're running a business, if you don't like the business don't agree to the terms and then cry when they object to you not adhering terms you agreed to. I'm not a developer and I understood them easily enough. Then again I'm not trying to drum up business for a security company by creating problems for me to capitalize on.
    mornhavon, JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    08-30-14 10:16 PM
    No doubt that you completely agree with Google. Peoples privacy and security mean nothing to Google if it is going to interfere at all with their tracking, data collecting and data mining. Nice of you to show your true colors and let everyone here know that it doesn't matter to you what these companies do with your privacy. Well, Oppenheim cares about peoples privacy and security and was trying to help people out. Now you slam him about it and try to discredit him. you also try to discredit the author. I didn't realize you are such an expert on these things. To you and some of the other die hard android fans around here, Google is perfect and does no harm. That's pretty sad if you ask me.
    What kind of black and white world do you live in? Because reality is all shades of grey. Google does track anonymous data, collects anonymous data and mines anonymous data to be able to provide all of their services at no cost to the user. You don't want Google to track your anonymous data? Simple, don't use their services. Don't come here and get on your soap box that Google isn't allowing you to use THEIR services scott free.

Their playground, their rules; don't like it? Go somewhere else.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-14 10:22 PM
    Apparently you think Google is running a charity. They're running a business, if you don't like the business don't agree to the terms and then cry when they object to you not adhering terms you agreed to. I'm not a developer and I understood them easily enough. Then again I'm not trying to drum up business for a security company by creating problems for me to capitalize on.
    Nice of you to make assumptions. But as far as them running a business, that's fine. They can do it however they want. Still doesn't contradict the fact that, as the OP put it, "Google wants your data and is trying hard to make sure nobody interferes with that."
    lift, acovey and The Big Picture like this.
    08-30-14 10:25 PM
    If this app was in Blackberry world and got banned. It would be a smart move, since BB has them SAME thing in their terms of service. If Google does it, they are stifling innovation.
    kbz1960, mornhavon, TGR1 and 1 others like this.
    08-30-14 10:26 PM
    What kind of black and white world do you live in? Because reality is all shades of grey. Google does track anonymous data, collects anonymous data and mines anonymous data to be able to provide all of their services at no cost to the user. You don't want Google to track your anonymous data? Simple, don't use their services. Don't come here and get on your soap box that Google isn't allowing you to use THEIR services scott free.

You live in the black and white world. Do you seriously think Google does all it's data collecting and tracking anonymously? Wow, I feel bad for you.
    08-30-14 10:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    That right there! Yes. That is our choice. If we don't like it we can move on. Freedom of choice.

If this app was in Blackberry world and got banned. It would be a smart move, since BB has them SAME thing in their terms of service. If Google does it, they are stifling innovation.
    Yes, but BlackBerry doesn't operate the same way Google does. Heck maybe they should. It might bring in some much needed revenue. lol.
    NYTOC83, JeepBB and m1a1mg like this.
    08-30-14 10:31 PM

Posted via CB10
    Did you actually read the whole article??
    08-30-14 10:33 PM
    That right there! Yes. That is our choice. If we don't like it we can move on. Freedom of choice.

Yes, but BlackBerry doesn't operate the same way Google does. Heck maybe they should. It might bring in some much needed revenue. lol.
    BB blocks apps during the submission process so I guess they dont have to worry as much
    08-30-14 10:52 PM
    BB blocks apps during the submission process so I guess they dont have to worry as much
    What do you mean?
    08-30-14 10:54 PM

If BlackBerry did that, they would not longer be the BlackBerry that we trust. BlackBerry is in the security / privacy business, and that's their way of clearly differentiating themselves from their competitors.

With Google it's a different thing. You might even be forced to use their services for work because your workplace has subscribed to Google Docs / Apps / Services / Cloud storage, but you don't necessarily want that info to be associated with what you do in private...

The problem is the all-pervasiveness and quasi-monopoly of Google in search, tracking, advertising, and web services that only a few people still question... heck, what could they do with all that info? Blackmail the world, if they wanted. Seriously. And I'm not a hardcore conspiracy nutter, I just see this danger as a reality.

Just don't be evil (TM). Or so we hope....

? BlackBerry? I premdict the future's gonna be chenomenal! ?
    eddy_berry likes this.
    08-31-14 02:34 AM
    Yet it's not all about Google.
    Quoted from the link below: - (My emphasis)
    "Another app running adverts could see internal IP addresses or keywords used for business browsing. In most cases the developers of free apps supported financially by these adverts are not aware of, or able to control, what information the third party advertisers collect. (The advertising inherits the permissions of the app itself)".
    http://m.techradar.com/news/internet...e-apps-1144154
    Do you trust that Ad server?

Posted on a Z10 via the CB10 App for BB10
    lift likes this.
    08-31-14 03:59 AM
69 123