06-04-15 04:07 PM
33 12
tools
    Google maps, yes, mind boggling. Google search, not so much. Youtube, they bought it. Android, they copied it. Nest, they bought it. The cart , no horse. Google as a business model, brilliant.
    Google search isn't a hit? Wow! You do realise that a how Google exploded in the first place right?

Youtube bought....yes....aquistions happen all the time in business. You going to hate on all companies that buy others as not innovative. Youtube hasn't even come close to hitting it's full potential online. Google was smart enough to buy them when they did. It's paid them back ten fold since that time.

Android copied? Really? Pepsi copied Coca Cola according to your argument. What's your point? Isn't that what happens in all markets? I think they word is competition.

Nest they bought to expand their business. Another acquisition. Didn't BlackBerry do this with their purchases this and last year?

Google as a business model is quite successful. Take a look at their portfolio an their bank account.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    05-30-15 12:21 PM
    Everyone knows Google has the money to do things at will, but it is not innovation imo it's domination. To suggest it's innovative to throw things around in a endless stream, makes my kids the most innovative group I know.
    Google doesn't just throw money at established industries, like Microsoft. It is an industry leader that invests in new, unchartered ideas such as Google Glass, driverless cars, Project Ara, etc. That's what makes Google "innovative".

Compare this to BBRY, which just sat on its laurels in its heyday and never invested money into anything other than mobile devices. Microsoft is another company that doesn't really know what to do with its money but I had already mentioned Microsoft.

It boggles my mind how anyone could assert that Google isn't one of the most innovative companies today.
    05-30-15 02:17 PM
    Google doesn't just throw money at established industries, like Microsoft. It is an industry leader that invests in new, unchartered ideas such as Google Glass, driverless cars, Project Ara, etc. That's what makes Google "innovative".

Compare this to BBRY, which just sat on its laurels in its heyday and never invested money into anything other than mobile devices. Microsoft is another company that doesn't really know what to do with its money but I had already mentioned Microsoft.

It boggles my mind how anyone could assert that Google isn't one of the most innovative companies today.
    Where did I compare blackberry to google?

Google does a great job at concept innovation, but is any of it in our hands? A lot of Googles reputation of innovation is based on those concepts. Buying nest and adding a web cam to the line says it all, that's where their focus truly is ,on infiltration, not innovation.

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 07:41 PM
    I think BlackBerry is going to approach the IoT market the same way they went after hyper connected individuals, and introduced mobile computing to the world. They will talk about it a lot, show nothing except for people in business suits and tricked out luxury vehicles and then call it a day.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think IoT is just another buzzword for the company to toss around.
    I hate quoting myself, but today's news really made me chuckle.

BlackBerry introduces new IoT platform to make automotive software updates easier | CrackBerry.com

IoT, mobile computing, leapfrogging, somehow or another, they always seem to involve tricked-out luxury automobiles.
    06-03-15 03:29 PM
    I hate quoting myself, but today's news really made me chuckle.

BlackBerry introduces new IoT platform to make automotive software updates easier | CrackBerry.com

IoT, mobile computing, leapfrogging, somehow or another, they always seem to involve tricked-out luxury automobiles.
    I understand why the BlackBerry can't do anything right crowd isn't happy with this news.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 04:39 PM
    I understand why the BlackBerry can't do anything right crowd isn't happy with this news.
    You probably include me in that crowd, but the truth is that QNX For Cars is arguably QNX/BB's most successful software solutions, and is deservedly the market leader. Of course, it has been around for more than a decade, long preceding BB's purchase of QNX, so they've had time to get it right. But I'm very happy that QNX For Cars is successful, because in my experience (a few rental cars and a friend's Dodge), it's the best middleware-for-autos product out there, and we all benefit from having it available.

Could it be improved? Of course, but I think it's safe to say that it is an unqualified success and a feather in BB's cap. Unfortunately, QNX's overall revenue stream is fairly small, and isn't likely to grow significantly. QNX already owns about 80% of the market (now that Ford has come aboard), and it's not a market that is growing that rapidly - in fact, it's nearing saturation - so while those profits are definitely welcome and a good thing, they're only a few spoonfuls in a bucket for a company the size of BB.
    06-03-15 05:08 PM

Posted via CB10
    Who is unhappy with this news? I'm not unhappy about anything related to this. I just think it is pretty funny that I correctly predicted that BlackBerry would do this only a few short days before they actually did do it. Again. For probably the 8th or 9th time at this point.

Like I said, BlackBerry's response to the IoT will be the same response they have gave to everything else over the last several years. Show off a tricked out luxury car that no one can buy, and then repeat "the internet of things" as often as possible while their competitors profit.
    06-03-15 08:29 PM
    You probably include me in that crowd, but the truth is that QNX For Cars is arguably QNX/BB's most successful software solutions, and is deservedly the market leader. Of course, it has been around for more than a decade, long preceding BB's purchase of QNX, so they've had time to get it right. But I'm very happy that QNX For Cars is successful, because in my experience (a few rental cars and a friend's Dodge), it's the best middleware-for-autos product out there, and we all benefit from having it available.

Could it be improved? Of course, but I think it's safe to say that it is an unqualified success and a feather in BB's cap. Unfortunately, QNX's overall revenue stream is fairly small, and isn't likely to grow significantly. QNX already owns about 80% of the market (now that Ford has come aboard), and it's not a market that is growing that rapidly - in fact, it's nearing saturation - so while those profits are definitely welcome and a good thing, they're only a few spoonfuls in a bucket for a company the size of BB.
    Just wait till data is collected.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 04:07 PM
33 12