06-04-15 04:07 PM
33 12
tools
    Google unveiled Brillo a challenger to BlackBerry in the iot space.

Google announces cut-down Android-based ?Brillo? for Internet of Things | Ars Technica

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 05:43 PM
    More interested in WEAVE.

Weave doesn't actually need Brillo, however, and can work on any platform. In setting up their devices, any Android device will recognize and have the same set-up process thanks to Weave.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/projec...nternet-things

Also, I'm guessing they gave up on Android at Home? lol.
    05-28-15 05:54 PM
    Well, question is how can QNX compete with free software and the full protocol stack from Google? Security add on is definitely one thing that is worth paying for, if the industry needs it. Again, how many iot devices could work with good enough security instead of national security?
    05-28-15 06:17 PM
    Well, question is how can QNX compete with free software and the full protocol stack from Google? Security add on is definitely one thing that is worth paying for, if the industry needs it. Again, how many iot devices could work with good enough security instead of national security?
    Without security, IoT is pretty much useless for large scale enterprise applications.
    05-28-15 06:22 PM
    Without security, IoT is pretty much useless for large scale enterprise applications.
    Again, it will be more of how much security and the cost of it.
    There is always gonna be national security usage type that demands big money and on the mass scale good enough security which is free.
    05-28-15 06:37 PM
    Again, it will be more of how much security and the cost of it.
    There is always gonna be national security usage type that demands big money and on the mass scale good enough security which is free.
    This is likely why BlackBerry clarified they are seeking to establish their role in IoT for autos and enterprise applications, not that they want to dominate IoT. They have a reliable and secure system, which will be essential for many applications, but for things like your speakers, fridge or coffee pot, you can use a free or cheaper system

BB for Life
    05-28-15 11:52 PM
    Also, I'm guessing they gave up on Android at Home? lol.
    In a sense, yes... but that's because they realized (with their experience with Nest) that the space needed a lot more in the way of infrastructure standards, which is why the "@ Home" program was expanded to include things like Brillo and Weave.

It's like if they were going to build the first "modern" car, but there were no road and no gas stations, and they realized that without this infrastructure, their cars would be of limited value, so they developed a system for building roads and standards for fueling stations - to help others fill in the infrastructure needed for their cars, but in an organized way.
    05-29-15 04:56 AM
    In a sense, yes... but that's because they realized (with their experience with Nest) that the space needed a lot more in the way of infrastructure standards, which is why the "@ Home" program was expanded to include things like Brillo and Weave.

It's like if they were going to build the first "modern" car, but there were no road and no gas stations, and they realized that without this infrastructure, their cars would be of limited value, so they developed a system for building roads and standards for fueling stations - to help others fill in the infrastructure needed for their cars, but in an organized way.
    So Google put the cart before the horse...innovative.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 08:24 AM

Posted via CB10
    They can afford to do this, and have on many occasions, because they have a bottomless pit of money. Google's notorious for throwing money into different projects and see what sticks. They're more of a let's try it out and see if it works type of model has done them quite well. Again it only works because they have a pile of money.
    Any businesses are trying to adopt this model in all facets of business because sometimes sitting in a boardroom trying to make the best decision doesn't work. Too many unknowns until you actually try it out. And that's innovative.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    05-29-15 10:22 AM
    They can afford to do this, and have on many occasions, because they have a bottomless pit of money. Google's notorious for throwing money into different projects and see what sticks. They're more of a let's try it out and see if it works type of model has done them quite well. Again it only works because they have a pile of money.
    Any businesses are trying to adopt this model in all facets of business because sometimes sitting in a boardroom trying to make the best decision doesn't work. Too many unknowns until you actually try it out. And that's innovative.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    The willingness to try and to invest in novel idea has definitely helped Google to be a leader in the industry. It is admirable for someone to embrace uncertainty, pouring money in to get infrastructure up and motivates more innovation.
    05-29-15 02:08 PM

Everyone knows Google has the money to do things at will, but it is not innovation imo it's domination. To suggest it's innovative to throw things around in a endless stream, makes my kids the most innovative group I know.

Posted via CB10
    thymaster and blusls like this.
    05-29-15 02:54 PM
    Android started out for a camera and look at it now so Google's method works for them.
    05-29-15 03:16 PM
    The question is whether BlackBerry really has any specific advantage when it comes to the IoT market that makes up for the fact that all of the other players are much larger, more well-funded, and have significant existing market share of internet-connected devices.
    05-29-15 03:22 PM
    Well there is the consumer IoT market where the big players Google/Apple/MS will cast too large a shadow for smaller companies to thrive but the B2B market with players like Sierra Wireless is where BB will have their place.
    05-29-15 03:32 PM
    The question is whether BlackBerry really has any specific advantage when it comes to the IoT market that makes up for the fact that all of the other players are much larger, more well-funded, and have significant existing market share of internet-connected devices.
    I think BlackBerry is going to approach the IoT market the same way they went after hyper connected individuals, and introduced mobile computing to the world. They will talk about it a lot, show nothing except for people in business suits and tricked out luxury vehicles and then call it a day.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think IoT is just another buzzword for the company to toss around.
    05-29-15 04:05 PM
    Android started out for a camera and look at it now so Google's method works for them.
    Would android exist, if the iPhone was never released?

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 04:21 PM
    Would android exist, if the iPhone was never released?

Posted via CB10
    Yes but it would have modeled after Blackberry. The full-touch 2007 Iphone demo shocked the phone world and Google quickly pivoted from the PKB prototypes from 2006.
    05-29-15 04:27 PM
    controlling or not controlling your stuff is the question.
    05-29-15 04:29 PM
    The cart works fine if you put horses all along the back and the side.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 04:54 PM
    Google maps, yes, mind boggling. Google search, not so much. Youtube, they bought it. Android, they copied it. Nest, they bought it. The cart , no horse. Google as a business model, brilliant.
    05-29-15 05:30 PM

It's really not so much that Google is "throwing money" at projects, so much as they encourage their employees (by encouraging up to 20% of their work time dedicated to pursue their own personal products). Sure, some of those side projects come to fruition, and there are a lot that don't. Sure, technically money is paid beyond via normal salary, but it's hardly "throwing money" since said employees can walk away from Google and startup their own venture with the products they designed. Which is a far cry from any other company who would assume ownership of said products simply because it was built during the employee's work relationship.

The point that most of those products stay with Google is more attributed towards Google actually rewarding and making those responsible "well to do" as a result. Versus other companies who claim the work for themselves and screw those who had busted their tails to design it.

Penned via Tapatalk
    05-29-15 05:47 PM
    How?

Renowned reliability service support not a stupid email and arcane setting support structure that doesn't get anything really done like real Gmail issues don't go to a person? Also security.
    I will NEVER TRUST my locked door to an open platform This is essentially Braniac come to life.

BlackBerry, accept no substitute nor compromise!
    05-29-15 05:51 PM
    It's really not so much that Google is "throwing money" at projects, so much as they encourage their employees (by encouraging up to 20% of their work time dedicated to pursue their own personal products). Sure, some of those side projects come to fruition, and there are a lot that don't. Sure, technically money is paid beyond via normal salary, but it's hardly "throwing money" since said employees can walk away from Google and startup their own venture with the products they designed. Which is a far cry from any other company who would assume ownership of said products simply because it was built during the employee's work relationship.

The point that most of those products stay with Google is more attributed towards Google actually rewarding and making those responsible "well to do" as a result. Versus other companies who claim the work for themselves and screw those who had busted their tails to design it.

Penned via Tapatalk
    Google's 20 percent time is not really true. At least not in the way many people think it works.

The truth about Google's famous '20% time' policy - Business Insider

http://www.businessinsider.com/googl...-policy-2015-4
    05-30-15 06:39 AM
    I think BlackBerry is going to approach the IoT market the same way they went after hyper connected individuals, and introduced mobile computing to the world. They will talk about it a lot, show nothing except for people in business suits and tricked out luxury vehicles and then call it a day.

Hope I'm wrong, but I think IoT is just another buzzword for the company to toss around.
    LMAO... so sadly true.

It went from a engineer-driven company (with crappy business skills), to... an engineer skeleton crew surrounded by a bunch business people that don't do much more than talk about vague, un-measurable, promises made from some vantage point that is almost entirely disconnected from reality (that others can work much faster than their under-resourced engineer skeleton crew).
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    05-30-15 11:49 AM
    Everyone knows Google has the money to do things at will, but it is not innovation imo it's domination. To suggest it's innovative to throw things around in a endless stream, makes my kids the most innovative group I know.

Posted via CB10
    No offense to you or your children. I'm sure they are wonderful human beings. But they're are not Google. Every child throws money around. It's part of growing up especially in today's society where money is viewed to be more disposable than it truly is. But I digress. Google is innovative because they have changed the way businesses test and implement ideas. Many corporations try this model nowadays and have found lots of success with it. There is only so much you can assume as a business before you have to run with an idea to see if it has wings. Have they failed with this model? Of course: Google wave, Google plus are two examples.
    Domination is inaccurate but that's where they are heading. You can't hate on them for that. They saw an opening and ran with it. Something BlackBerry hasn't been able to do.

sentimentGX4 and Cynycl like this.
    05-30-15 12:16 PM
33 12