04-16-15 01:59 PM
116 1234 ...
tools
    It would be rather ironic after 2 years of BlackBerry trying to modernise it's phone line up and drag it's users and customers kicking and screaming in to the 2010's from 2000's where they were stuck if the phone that saves the hardware business turns out to be the Classic!
    I don't think it's ironic at all, actually: BlackBerry has a unique offering on devices with the toolbelt and keyboard, and for those who love it and for those for whom communication efficiency is paramount, BlackBerry should have maintained a device portfolio that acknowledged what they do very well (PKB / Toolbelt devices) and what many customers do want (full touchscreen devices). If anything the 'white elephant' of the BB10 lineup is the Q5/Q10: PKB devices without the toolbelt.

Hopefully, BlackBerry Ltd. has it sorted out now, they can offer three or four form factors in modest volumes that cover the spectrum of what BB10 users want, which includes the "Classic" form factor, the full touch, the Passport, and now the Slider (and I could see the next device in the Q series having a touch sensitive PKB but not quite so large as the Passport... in fact, I hope the Passport three row keyboard doesn't see another iteration: put a traditional BB PKB on it that is touch sensitive, and keep the screen for screen stuff, not a row or more of virtual keys).
    04-02-15 04:10 PM
    This is what my buddy told me, but his company is very small and he's just one company. These are just his own personal (company) sales.
    Where is he located?
    04-02-15 10:38 PM
    I know one person at work who preordered his classic and is happy with the purchase.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576
    04-02-15 11:53 PM
    Where is he located?
    As someone else seems to have figured out, he is located in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).

Posted from my awesome White Z30
    04-03-15 12:00 AM
    As someone else seems to have figured out, he is located in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).
    Thank you. This is the market with the greatest concentration of BlackBerry on the planet. It's no wonder he's selling out of small quantities like that.
    04-03-15 03:55 AM
    No friends of mine have ever seen a BB10 phone in use.

Neither have l.

Just another anecdote.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I have never seen a windows phone. Neither has anyone I know.

I have seen lots of BB10s and I have seen ppl switching from android and apple to the Classic.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 08:50 AM
    I have never seen a windows phone. Neither has anyone I know.

I have seen lots of BB10s and I have seen ppl switching from android and apple to the Classic.
    I've never seen a BB10 phone out in the wild either, but I see tons of WinPhones around.

It very much depends where you live I reckon. Here in the UK, outside of the London financial hub, I doubt you'd see many with a BB10 handset... a BBOS handset yes, but not BB10. And I suspect the same is true around Toronto versus the rest of Canada.

Conversely, WinPhone is big in the UK and Europe (though obviously not in the Apple/Android league) and pretty-much invisible in the US.

FWIW, I also see the Classic as being a steady seller, especially to the BBOS hold-outs
    04-03-15 09:07 AM
    I've never seen a BB10 phone out in the wild either, but I see tons of WinPhones around.

It very much depends where you live I reckon. Here in the UK, outside of the London financial hub, I doubt you'd see many with a BB10 handset... a BBOS handset yes, but not BB10. And I suspect the same is true around Toronto versus the rest of Canada.

Conversely, WinPhone is big in the UK and Europe (though obviously not in the Apple/Android league) and pretty-much invisible in the US.

FWIW, I also see the Classic as being a steady seller, especially to the BBOS hold-outs
    Win phone is big in Europe because of the Nokia brand. Nokia was dead here in the US practically since regular cell phones died. Microsoft is now pushing them again since they bought them, but just like BlackBerry it is a brand with no mindshare.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime likes this.
    04-03-15 09:49 AM
    Win phone is big in Europe because of the Nokia brand. Nokia was dead here in the US practically since regular cell phones died. Microsoft is now pushing them again since they bought them, but just like BlackBerry it is a brand with no mindshare.

Posted via CB10
    Microsoft only bought Nokia's hardware business and paid them for the rights to use the Nokia name for a period of time (a short period I think, 18 months? 2 years?). That deal runs out soon, if they don't pay Nokia again then they'll just be branded as Microsoft Windows phones I suppose.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    Last edited by johnnyuk; 04-03-15 at 01:54 PM.
    04-03-15 11:05 AM
    Microsoft only bought Nokia's hardware business and paid them for the rights to use the Nokia name for a period of time (a short period I think, 18 months? 2 years). That deal runs out soon, if they don't pay Nokia again then they'll just be branded as Microsoft Windows phones I suppose.

Posted from the CB10 app on my BlackBerry Z30 STA100-2/10.3.1.2576 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.5.6
    Nokia brand has already been dropped on new devices. See Microsoft Lumia 535 for example.
    04-03-15 12:23 PM
    Nokia brand has already been dropped on new devices. See Microsoft Lumia 535 for example.
    Well there you go, the license to use the Nokia name has expired, now MS must go it alone.

04-03-15 01:53 PM
    You can tell it is a holiday weekend (at least here in the UK), people love to get together and play their favourite old-time music.

Gather around the fire, while we sing this and other other golden oldies such as "Z3 off to amazing sales in indonensia", "Q10 will answer pent-up demand".

Special guest star Thorsten Heins is coming out of retirement to sing his big hit Q10 will sell in tens of millions"
    Last edited by cgk; 04-03-15 at 02:47 PM.
    04-03-15 02:31 PM
    Classic is BlackBerry's best chance for some big corporate volume.

Posted via  BlackBerry Z30
    04-03-15 08:52 PM
    Thank you. This is the market with the greatest concentration of BlackBerry on the planet. It's no wonder he's selling out of small quantities like that.
    That is scary, since seeing BB10 phones even in Toronto is still very rare.

Posted via CB10
    04-03-15 10:55 PM
    That is scary, since seeing BB10 phones even in Toronto is still very rare.
    Apparently there's lots in the financial district.
    04-03-15 11:19 PM
    Well there you go, the license to use the Nokia name has expired, now MS must go it alone.

Right but how many people did they get on board using the name in places in Europe where Nokia is a strong brand. BlackBerry released a new OS and new line of devices with a toxic brand and how did that work for them?

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 09:50 AM
    It would be rather ironic after 2 years of BlackBerry trying to modernise it's phone line up and drag it's users and customers kicking and screaming in to the 2010's from 2000's where they were stuck if the phone that saves the hardware business turns out to be the Classic!

But if so, and if it means they can then afford to make a new high end all touch phone soon, then so be it.

I think that even if BB released the classic at launch instead of Q10, I don't think it would have made a difference due to the unfinished nature of the OS. 10.0 was clearly unpolished and the firist real good verion was 10.2.1 in my opinion.
    04-04-15 02:09 PM
    Right but how many people did they get on board using the name in places in Europe where Nokia is a strong brand. BlackBerry released a new OS and new line of devices with a toxic brand and how did that work for them?

Posted via CB10
    Yeh so listen up Chen, the Nokia brand is for hire again, get your cheque book out.

04-04-15 04:26 PM
    So Nokia just sticks to feature phones, kills their own smartphone OS before launch, goes with a hail-mary pass of adopting WP, sells their handset business and the brand is 'still respected'.

Ironically, if BlackBerry hadn't even TRIED to respond to the iPhone with the Storm / Storm 2, but instead just stuck with BBOS PKB devices and worked toward the next gen OS behind the scenes, perhaps BlackBerry would have maintained the respect for the brand... but there was far too much pressure on the BoD to 'do something' in face of the iPhone competition... so I don't know how this could have played out differently other than having a personality so strong making these decisions at BlackBerry that the Board followed this person's lead, rather than the other way around.

What this tells me is BlackBerry should put a toolbelt on all their devices and tell the critics to cram it.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 04:52 PM
    04-04-15 08:20 PM
    You really can not judge what happens in the Greater Toronto Area as indicative of what is happening around the world. I sometimes think that BlackBerry should be further removed from the Toronto Enterprise market to get a better understanding of the smartphone market.

Posted via CB10
    That is a very good point. My take is that Canadians are very loyal to BlackBerry but not so much for their cousins down here in US of A. It would be very interesting to know what the actual sales numbers are.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-15 10:19 PM
    That is a very good point. My take is that Canadians are very loyal to BlackBerry but not so much for their cousins down here in US of A. It would be very interesting to know what the actual sales numbers are.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think Canadians are particularly loyal to Blackberry. It just seems that way in contrast to Americans.
    04-05-15 12:12 AM
    Yeh so listen up Chen, the Nokia brand is for hire again, get your cheque book out.
    Heh-heh, 'cept Microsoft's lawyers are smarter than that.

IIRC, Microsoft agreed to the use of Nokia's name for 1 year, bought the rights to the Lumia name, and Nokia agreed not to make smartphones (for at least 10 years, IIRC) in a "will not compete" clause. Nokia can only build feature phones under their name.

I'm not sure that building a range of feature phones will benefit BB much.
    techvisor likes this.
    04-05-15 04:43 AM

The only reason Nokia was popular in Europe was because it was European (Finnish). The second Microsoft took over and even before when Nokia was pushing Windows Phone, Nokia sales softened. Don't think Nokia under a Canadian company would fare any better.

Anyway, there's something distinctly Nordic about Nokia hardware that Blackberry (nor Microsoft) could ever put their thumb on. Think happy colors, curves, bricky/durable hardware, and exotic form factors (N8, 808, etc.). The brand name is only a half of the equation.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 04-05-15 at 05:54 AM.
    Bbnivende and eyesopen1111 like this.
    04-05-15 05:42 AM

Posted via CB10
    If Canada had 30 to 50 percent of smartphone sales being BlackBerry devices, I would agree with you, but we know iPhone sales are likely in that number and BlackBerry is a blip on the radar. It sales greater as a percentage of population there, but my guess is that the US is probably accounting for more of the total NA sales numbers than Canada is with the regulated business sector and government.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-15 07:31 AM
116 1234 ...