06-21-15 08:52 AM
64 123
tools
    CBC just announced that nearly every car company with use Apple and Android by the end if the year. Does this mean they are abandoning QNX? It doesn't say. It sounds like they are.

Posted via CB10
    They both need QNX to run.
    06-01-15 11:57 AM
    They both need QNX to run.
    No, they don't. They need a middleware OS, but not necessarily QNX. They could use LinuxRT (embedded real-time Linux), embedded Windows, or even Android as the base OS. They don't need QNX specifically, though, again, QNX is the most popular solution, and deservedly.
    techvisor and TGR1 like this.
    06-01-15 05:41 PM
    It was not false Troy, it is true these systems cannot run without QNX... but I did not say they couldn't run on something other than QNX...
    Yeah.. umm... crud... I started to hilite the two statements in color to point out the obvious flaw... but then realized it's an exercise in futility...

If this is the future of CB... daaaayum.....
    06-01-15 07:40 PM
    No, they don't. They need a middleware OS, but not necessarily QNX. They could use LinuxRT (embedded real-time Linux), embedded Windows, or even Android as the base OS. They don't need QNX specifically, though, again, QNX is the most popular solution, and deservedly.
    Telsa uses LinuxRT with a front end Qt gui. Impressive actually. It's really not that much different from BB10 once people understand it's cores.
    06-02-15 06:51 AM
    yes we are actually better off. False statements left unchallenged can lead to spreading of misinformation.
    Well we wouldn't want to start spreading misinformation on Crackberry.
    06-02-15 09:22 AM
    GM and others are going with NAME BRAND interfaces....

QNX may very well be the power behind these systems, but they have been working hard to also be the interface also. Which is where the money is. But nobody knows what QNX is and they aren't willing to pay more for it. But a Car Manufacture puts "powered by Apple" and people will see "value".

So QNX will get another 25 cents and Apple will get a couple hundred dollars...
    06-02-15 10:11 AM
    Yeah.. umm... crud... I started to hilite the two statements in color to point out the obvious flaw... but then realized it's an exercise in futility...

If this is the future of CB... daaaayum.....
    maybe this needs a break down for some readers...

Carplay cannot run on its own
    Android Auto cannot run on its own

they require QNX, as it is a middleware, to run... but QNX is not the ONLY middleware they require to run... they just require any compatible middleware

I hope this spells it out nice and simply for anyone who is having issues following along...

Posted via CB10
    web99 likes this.
    06-02-15 03:33 PM
    GM and others are going with NAME BRAND interfaces....

QNX may very well be the power behind these systems, but they have been working hard to also be the interface also. Which is where the money is. But nobody knows what QNX is and they aren't willing to pay more for it. But a Car Manufacture puts "powered by Apple" and people will see "value".

So QNX will get another 25 cents and Apple will get a couple hundred dollars...
    yes, the QNX demo vehicles have shown some gorgeous interfaces over the years but it seems the auto makers have not used any of the QNX interfaces... its a shame really but im sure their are strict GUI guidelines to conform to before anything is aloud to be in the dashboard of a vehicle

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 03:37 PM
    yes, the QNX demo vehicles have shown some gorgeous interfaces over the years but it seems the auto makers have not used any of the QNX interfaces... its a shame really but im sure their are strict GUI guidelines to conform to before anything is aloud to be in the dashboard of a vehicle

Posted via CB10
    QNX is always focusing on niche vehicles. They should be grabbing corollas and jettas instead. Cars that the masses use. And focus on every day uses such as media streaming and safety, messaging while driving and so on.

Posted via CB10
    06-02-15 08:52 PM
    QNX is always focusing on niche vehicles. They should be grabbing corollas and jettas instead. Cars that the masses use. And focus on every day uses such as media streaming and safety, messaging while driving and so on.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, show some more attainable cars for the masses with some of the sweetest interfaces in the market, give it all the bells and whistles and sell them all as options (like the auto makers love to do)... I would love some new and exciting interfaces rather than the plain jane...

I think they have the safety aspect covered, I remember them making an announcement fairly recently about having separate safety software running on the same hardware as the GUI, but if the GUI freezes or lags the safety software does not... have to find a link, but it sounds like it could halve the hardware costs by only requiring one system instead of multiple

Posted via CB10
    06-03-15 06:49 AM
    maybe this needs a break down for some readers...

Carplay cannot run on its own
    Android Auto cannot run on its own

they require QNX, as it is a middleware, to run... but QNX is not the ONLY middleware they require to run... they just require any compatible middleware

I hope this spells it out nice and simply for anyone who is having issues following along...

Posted via CB10
    We are following along completely fine, it's just that you cannot understand what is wrong with the logic of your statements "they require QNX, as it is a middleware, to run" and then say in the next sentence "they just require any compatible middleware". Those statements are the equivalent of saying that it requires QNX and doesn't require QNX, at the same time. Logically this is impossible. If you just use the one statement by itself "they require QNX, as it is a middleware, to run" then this is also incorrect.

Your original statement just needs to be modified to say "they require a middleware, like QNX, to run". This correctly changes the meaning that QNX is an option, but not a requirement. It's a small change in words but it has a much different meaning. For example, would you want people to say that BB10 is required to use BBM? No because BBM can also run on iOS and Android.
    06-03-15 05:30 PM
    Yeah its not really fair that the one doing most of the heavy lifting gets paid the lowest royalties

Posted via CB10
    How much royalties are paid by manufacturers for each piece?
    06-03-15 07:53 PM
    QNX is always focusing on niche vehicles. They should be grabbing corollas and jettas instead. Cars that the masses use.
    BlackBerry Ltd?s QNX claims supremacy in the connected car, but Google?s Android is gaining ground | Financial Post

"http://business.financialpost.com/news/transportation/blackberry-ltds-qnx-claims-supremacy-in-the-connected-car-but-googles-android-is-gaining-ground

"Although the average driver has probably never heard of QNX, it’s the platform behind the infotainment systems of most major automakers, including BMW, Chrysler, General Motors, Honda, Hyundai, Mercedes-Benz, Toyota and Volkswagen. As of early January, QNX said its software had been deployed in more than 50 million vehicles worldwide.
    06-03-15 07:57 PM
    How much royalties are paid by manufacturers for each piece?
    It looks like somewhere between $5-10 per vehicle. But while QNX is the market leader, there are other choices, with LinuxRT being another strong contender, and so QNX doesn't have much leverage to raise prices. The fact that QNX isn't user-facing (all of the car manufacturers create their own UIs on top of QNX, and now Car Play and Android Auto will be additional user-facing UIs) means it has no brand identity in the consumer world to create any consumer leverage. In other words, if GM swapped out QNX for LinuxRT, chances are virtually no one would know the difference - they'd still be seeing GM's UI on the screen. Unlike phones, there is no third-party app or services ecosystem to show a difference - except that this is exactly what is coming with Android Auto and Car Play - APPS. But the apps will be running on the phone and just mirrored to the car's display, so, there will be apps without the need for the car's OS to support them natively.
    eyesopen1111 and TGR1 like this.
    06-03-15 11:28 PM
    Whoever can deliver the content to the user will benefit the most. Where does the media, maps, connectivity, messaging, etc. come from? If it's going through the phone then as a couple others on this thread have said, that's all that most people want. It turns QNX into a glorified touch screen for a smartphone unless auto makers can deliver something else that the user wants. Currently, they seem to be trying to sell me GPS, media, and connectivity functions that already come with my smartphone.
    06-03-15 11:55 PM
    Currently, they seem to be trying to sell me GPS, media, and connectivity functions that already come with my smartphone.
    Exactly. And most customers have long figured out that cars last a whole lot longer than cell phones, and so aren't replaced/upgraded nearly as often. Car Play/Android Auto allow new features to be available simply by upgrading your phone, without having to replace anything in the car - consumers have been asking for that for quite a while, and it's finally here.
    06-04-15 10:13 AM
    Maybe the secure wireless (or USB less) updating option that QNX is working on will be a reason to keep QNX the leader and may even allow them some additional revenues.

But yes just being the big player in the market today doesn't mean you sit back and hope nobody takes your place. It seems that auto makers like the reliability of QNX and as long as the software works and the prices are cheap... they probable stay with QNX.

But you just never know when someone is going to release something that you were not expecting....
    06-04-15 10:38 AM
    You guys are all missing the point.

The license payout for QNX is not where the value proposition lies.

It's to be the Base kernel/OS for as many cars possible, aka be the standard and then use that large market share to harness big data produced by these vehicles.

Welcome to the world of big data and IoT.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 03:03 PM
    Unless the cars have their own mobile data connection, and unless that is activated and paid for by their owners, there will be no data for the car companies to collect. Apple and Google will be collecting the data that comes from Car Play/Android Auto, as the data comes from/through the phone, not the car. The car just acts as a display and touchscreen for the phone.
    06-04-15 04:11 PM
    Exactly. And most customers have long figured out that cars last a whole lot longer than cell phones, and so aren't replaced/upgraded nearly as often. Car Play/Android Auto allow new features to be available simply by upgrading your phone, without having to replace anything in the car - consumers have been asking for that for quite a while, and it's finally here.
    Cars never used to get OTA updates.
    Cars with this capability can be updated more frequently... the days of outdated onboard Nav software is becoming a thing of the past.

The same system can provide performance tweaks, ADAS enhancements, new streaming service support.

You won't get accident avoidance software from your iPhone or Android phone.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-15 06:18 PM
    Agreed, but you forgot the amplifier to power it all.
    GM and other going with Apple and Android?-spinal_tap_-_up_to_eleven.jpg
    06-04-15 07:41 PM
    We are following along completely fine, it's just that you cannot understand what is wrong with the logic of your statements "they require QNX, as it is a middleware, to run" and then say in the next sentence "they just require any compatible middleware". Those statements are the equivalent of saying that it requires QNX and doesn't require QNX, at the same time. Logically this is impossible. If you just use the one statement by itself "they require QNX, as it is a middleware, to run" then this is also incorrect.

Your original statement just needs to be modified to say "they require a middleware, like QNX, to run". This correctly changes the meaning that QNX is an option, but not a requirement. It's a small change in words but it has a much different meaning. For example, would you want people to say that BB10 is required to use BBM? No because BBM can also run on iOS and Android.
    alright, lets go for the super break down...

Carplay does not run on its own... agreed?
    Carplay REQUIRES a "middleware" to run... agreed?
    QNX is the "middleware" of choice for most car makers... agreed?

so if you string ALL of that together, it will look something like this;

Carplay REQUIRES QNX, just as it REQUIRES LinuxRT, or it REQUIRES Windows... etc etc

Let's use the word require in a different context... lets use PC game minimum system REQUIREMENTS:
    Any PC gamer knows that these stated cards, processors, etc are not ACTUALLY the ONLY REQUIRED hardware that will run their game and nothing else...

I realize you were seeing it a different way and that I was contradicting myself, but I was trying to string the ideas together in a sentence, kind of culminate all of the statements of the thread into a single idea using the same wording for others to follow...

so yes, if you skipped down to my reply, it would seem kind of hard to understand... but if you read the comments and ideas before mine, people asking if Carplay is the whole system or does it require QNX? Just trying to make it easy...

Does carplay require QNX to run? Yes, it does (my answer)

Does carplay require QNX to run? Well yes and no, it requires a middleware to run, which QNX is one of many middleware OSs that are loaded into in dash infotainment systems in modern cars and aftermarket systems. (your answer, *note: you must be fun at parties)
    OK... so whats a middleware? (readers next question)

I keep things simple for a reason, I try to be helpful, not add more confusion to someone who might already be confused and struggling with an idea...

Disclaimer:
    Any one who is actually interested in this thread topic, you might want to skip this comment, I apologize for the inconvenience.

Posted via CB10
    06-05-15 06:40 AM
    For the people stating that you don't see QNX ui in anything but niche cars...SMH

Yes, it wont be exactly the same as what they show in demo for a reason. It's called "branding". Go check out a 2015 Dodge Charger/Challenger/Dart infotainment and dashboard. QNX in action.

Also, QNX also handles things like:

reverse parking assist
    pedestrian detection
    adaptive cruise control
    forward collision warning
    autonomous emergency braking
    lane departure warning
    blind spot detection
    drowsiness monitoring
    surround view
    intelligent high-beam control
    adaptive front lighting
    *http://www.qnx.com/solutions/industries/automotive/

Posted from my Red Passport
    Andy_bb_king likes this.
    06-06-15 09:02 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spinal_Tap_-_Up_to_Eleven.jpg 
Views:	629 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	356067
    Turns all the way to 11. Now there is an amplifier!

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 09:14 AM
    For the people stating that you don't see QNX ui in anything but niche cars...SMH

Yes, it wont be exactly the same as what they show in demo for a reason. It's called "branding". Go check out a 2015 Dodge Charger/Challenger/Dart infotainment and dashboard. QNX in action.

Also, QNX also handles things like:

reverse parking assist
    pedestrian detection
    adaptive cruise control
    forward collision warning
    autonomous emergency braking
    lane departure warning
    blind spot detection
    drowsiness monitoring
    surround view
    intelligent high-beam control
    adaptive front lighting
    *http://www.qnx.com/solutions/industries/automotive/

Posted from my Red Passport
    If qnx wanted branding, they'd put their logo on the screen somewhere in the settings at the very least. Qnx doesn't care for branding. It needs to change.

Posted via CB10
    06-06-15 04:51 PM
64 123