06-21-15 08:52 AM
64 123
tools
    CBC just announced that nearly every car company with use Apple and Android by the end if the year. Does this mean they are abandoning QNX? It doesn't say. It sounds like they are.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 10:05 AM
    CarPlay and Android Auto use the in-dash display much like Blend does your monitor but everything happens on the phone. It doesn't replace QNX anymore than when you use Blend it replaces your computer OS.
    05-28-15 10:13 AM
    In other words, QNX is still the underpinnings. (atleast it is for CarPlay, I am not sure about the Android one)

This is a good thing, I just hope those systems will play nice (full feature, or mostly) when a BlackBerry a/o WP are trying to connect

BB for Life
    05-28-15 12:19 PM
    there are other threads explaining how each of these systems interact with the QNX backbone in the vehicle, they basically run as a "skin" when connected via USB to the car and the car will mirror certain features and apps off of the phone

In fact, these systems cannot run without QNX and are only possible because of the flexibility QNX provides the automakers

Its neither good nor bad for BlackBerry's QNX division, just another feature the automakers are trying to add to compete with one another

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy and CuriousFellow like this.
    05-28-15 01:24 PM
    To be honest, these days I just want a good set of speakers and an AUX jack... I couldn't care less what features the infotainment system has.

OK fine, maybe Bluetooth A2DP support.
    toneytone likes this.
    05-28-15 02:13 PM
    CBC just announced that nearly every car company with use Apple and Android by the end if the year. Does this mean they are abandoning QNX? It doesn't say. It sounds like they are.

Posted via CB10
    I don't see how when qnx holds some good patents such as multiple microphone profiles that reduce car noise and pre touch where the panel notices where your figure is going to touch the screen before it actually touches it so it can already load the settings giving it a smoother feel.

Posted via CB10
    Coffee Shampoo likes this.
    05-28-15 05:47 PM
    To be honest, these days I just want a good set of speakers and an AUX jack... I couldn't care less what features the infotainment system has.

OK fine, maybe Bluetooth A2DP support.
    Agreed, but you forgot the amplifier to power it all.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-15 08:38 PM
    What about us poor suckers that don't have an Android or iOS device to pipe into these things?

What shows up ? Maybe some generic skin?

The issue is that QNX will remain wedged in the middle ware role, unable to leverage any substantial licensing fees since they do not appear as 'added value' item to the consumer that can be tacked on to the price tag.

Posted via CB10
    TGR1 likes this.
    05-28-15 08:48 PM
    What about us poor suckers that don't have an Android or iOS device to pipe into these things?

The issue is that QNX will remain wedged in the middle ware role, unable to leverage any substantial licensing fees since they do not appear as 'added value' item to the consumer that can be tacked on to the price tag.

Posted via CB10
    Try QNX Car Voice Control. Dial 999-555-1234 once your bb10 phone is connected via Bluetooth. Even BlackBerry Assistant should work.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 01:40 AM

Posted via CB10
    Also, from my understanding, QNX isn't the only middleware available to car manufacturers. So BB can't actually raise license fees because they would lose some customers.
    05-29-15 01:54 AM
    In fact, these systems cannot run without QNX and are only possible because of the flexibility QNX provides the automakers.
    Your statement is false - QNX is not the only OS/middleware available (or in use) by car manufacturers. It may well be the best, and has the biggest marketshare at around 60%, but there are other choices, including Windows and LinuxRT (the latter used by Tesla), and Car Play and Android Auto will run on any of them.

You can think of Car Play and Android Auto as "apps", and just like you can run Facebook or Google Maps on most mobile OSs, you can run Car Play and Android Auto on all current Auto OS platforms.

It is true to say that neither of these are stand-alone OSs, and they weren't intended to be - they are apps that extend (a version of) the display of your phone to the car's screen and let you control your phone from that screen. All the processing happens in the phone.
    techvisor and TGR1 like this.
    05-29-15 03:52 AM
    CarPlay and Android Auto are just API's that any OEM can use no matter what drives their infotainment systems. It's just a series of hooks allowing access to a handset's display and contents and mirroring them.

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 05:09 AM
    Also, from my understanding, QNX isn't the only middleware available to car manufacturers. So BB can't actually raise license fees because they would lose some customers.
    Yeah its not really fair that the one doing most of the heavy lifting gets paid the lowest royalties

Posted via CB10
    05-29-15 07:36 AM
    Agreed, but you forgot the amplifier to power it all.

Posted via CB10
    Powered speakers... there.
    05-29-15 06:21 PM
    Your statement is false - QNX is not the only OS/middleware available (or in use) by car manufacturers. It may well be the best, and has the biggest marketshare at around 60%, but there are other choices, including Windows and LinuxRT (the latter used by Tesla), and Car Play and Android Auto will run on any of them.

You can think of Car Play and Android Auto as "apps", and just like you can run Facebook or Google Maps on most mobile OSs, you can run Car Play and Android Auto on all current Auto OS platforms.

It is true to say that neither of these are stand-alone OSs, and they weren't intended to be - they are apps that extend (a version of) the display of your phone to the car's screen and let you control your phone from that screen. All the processing happens in the phone.
    You pointed out car play with windows. But I don't know of any brand using windows with car play support. Could be mistaken but I couldn't find a list of it last year. I always thought that was the main reason as to why companies like ford and pioneer dropped windows, among other issues with it. Maybe windows was late to the game.

Posted via CB10
    jasonvan9 likes this.
    05-29-15 07:49 PM
    Ford was the biggest user of Windows for Cars (aka SYNC), but they've had lots of problems with it for years, and have been loudly talking about replacing it (probably with QNX), so I'm not surprised that you don't see that combo - however it's very possible for Apple and Google to build their apps for it.
    05-29-15 08:00 PM
    Troy,

I understand QNX is not the only middleware in use, I did not say that it was, nor did I say it was the best or the biggest so I dont know what you were agreeing with when you stated these points...

I was stating a fact that CarPlay and Android Auto are not full OS's, they are skins displayed when you plug your phone in, plain and simple.

Some people read headlines like Apple and Google are taking over the automotive sector and that is simply not the case... Just trying to clear up some misconceptions that appear to be happening

Also, any manufactures that run the windows or linux based infotainment systems, have any of them announced compatibility with Carplay or Android auto thus far?

I believe the big 3 have announced, and they are all running QNX based platforms I believe

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 07:01 AM
    Ford was the biggest user of Windows for Cars (aka SYNC), but they've had lots of problems with it for years, and have been loudly talking about replacing it (probably with QNX), so I'm not surprised that you don't see that combo - however it's very possible for Apple and Google to build their apps for it.
    Ford have already announced months ago they've dropped Microsoft for QNX, they've even demoed their new infotainment systems, search youtube for these

Posted via CB10
    05-30-15 07:02 AM
    Troy,

I understand QNX is not the only middleware in use, I did not say that it was, nor did I say it was the best or the biggest so I dont know what you were agreeing with when you stated these points...

I was stating a fact that CarPlay and Android Auto are not full OS's, they are skins displayed when you plug your phone in, plain and simple.
    Except what you actually wrote was
    In fact, these systems cannot run without QNX
    , which is false. Had you said "These systems cannot run without a base OS, such as QNX" then you would have been absolutely right. You strongly implied that QNX was specifically required, when what is required is a base OS/middleware product, of which QNX is only the best example.
    techvisor and eyesopen1111 like this.
    05-31-15 12:43 AM
    Except what you actually wrote was , which is false. Had you said "These systems cannot run without a base OS, such as QNX" then you would have been absolutely right. You strongly implied that QNX was specifically required, when what is required is a base OS/middleware product, of which QNX is only the best example.
    Thanks for splitting that hair troy. We're all better off now.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-31-15 01:18 AM
    Except what you actually wrote was , which is false. Had you said "These systems cannot run without a base OS, such as QNX" then you would have been absolutely right. You strongly implied that QNX was specifically required, when what is required is a base OS/middleware product, of which QNX is only the best example.
    It was not false Troy, it is true these systems cannot run without QNX... but I did not say they couldn't run on something other than QNX...

I am interested if any other manufactures have support for Carplay and Android auto that do not use QNX as the middleware platform.

Does anyone remember any announcements from a manufacture that supports Carplay and Android but do not use QNX?

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 09:10 AM
    It was not false Troy, it is true these systems cannot run without QNX... but I did not say they couldn't run on something other than QNX...

I am interested if any other manufactures have support for Carplay and Android auto that do not use QNX as the middleware platform.

Does anyone remember any announcements from a manufacture that supports Carplay and Android but do not use QNX?

Posted via CB10
    I don't know about car manufacturers, but Pioneer AppRadio 4 support Car play and they are not using QNX. Not sure what the OS is, think it is their own.

Posted via Z30
    05-31-15 03:08 PM
    So can someone explain to me what the whole QNX car application is that they keep showing off with all the noise cancelation, and video chatting from within the car?

Are they developing this stuff as a OS to be installed within a vehicle (which apparently no one is planning on using), or is this something that other manufacturers are going to be able to build off of. I'm totally lost on what exactly it is lol

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 04:37 PM
    I don't know about car manufacturers, but Pioneer AppRadio 4 support Car play and they are not using QNX. Not sure what the OS is, think it is their own.

Posted via Z30
    Pioneer was using Windows until the NEX models came out. I always thought they went to QNX. One clear indication is licensing, or the lack of it. For what I understand, you don't have to print out that you're licensed with QNX. And in the NEX documents, not a word of its OS. I haven't been at a pioneer seminar in over a year so I wouldn't know for sure. I'm hoping I go to one soon though with all the upcoming products and all.

Posted via CB10
    05-31-15 04:58 PM
    Thanks for splitting that hair troy. We're all better off now.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    yes we are actually better off. False statements left unchallenged can lead to spreading of misinformation.
    Cynycl, Mr.mister, TGR1 and 3 others like this.
    06-01-15 06:00 AM
64 123