07-16-15 06:24 AM
77 1234
tools
    I love this kind of statement!

Gone? Gone where? To one of the other platforms you didn't want to go to in the first place?

If it ever comes to BB10 going the way of the DooDoo, you can STILL keep using the device you have now! The only way your BB10 device really becomes useless is the day BlackBerry shuts down all servers (thus killing most functions of your device).

And if they really make and Android phone, we should at least take a look at it. BlackBerry is a master of security. My beef with Android was security (and the lack of a flow in the UI, and their keyboard - all things BlackBerry could skin Android to emulate BB10 and poof, problem solved). Should Blackberry fix all that, Androoid becomes indeed a viable option for MANY of us. This is just the android-powered BlackBerry device fork of the rumor! I won't even go into the hypervison fork!

Oh, also, like I said before: Offering an Android device DOES NOT EQUAL killing BB10.
    I see it as if given the choice between a BB with Android and any other Android/iOS, some people would prefer the other choices. Either because of design, specs, camera, etc. I'd love a device with BB10 with a smooth Android experience, if they (BB) could make a more secured Android or make Android apps run smoother and integrate better with the HUB, it would be an overall better experience for everyone. Which I think is great, so I'm keeping an open mind about a BB device with Android, either full or smoother app experience. And like you said, the current devices would still keep working for those who don't want to switch. Either way, rumors are rumors.
    diegonei likes this.
    07-10-15 11:37 AM
    Please write 100 times on the board. . . . . .

BB10 isn't selling.
    BB10 Isn't selling.
    BB10 isnt selling.

Via my HTC One M9...
    First you write 200 times on the board:

Sales reps have no clue about BB 10.

The misery with BB 10 is only a marketing problem.
    At least 70% of the people I know use their smartphones

- only for calls, e-mails, WhatsApp and to take pictures occasionally.
    - and have never heard of BB 10

They don't need apps, the don't care about premium specs, and actually I converted a few of them to BB 10 (which was very hard, because the sales reps in the shops promote only iOS or Android).

And I would imagine that about 50% of the global smartphone users belong to the same category.
    07-10-15 12:38 PM
    Horrible OS? Hmmmmm mustn't be the same OS I have on this passport either that or the "writer" has never used BB10 for more then a few minutes before writing this.

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 01:00 PM
    People keep talking like Android is some device panacea, but forget that space is full of much larger companies (who actually advertise) who are barely managing to sell their devices. Plus there are those highly competitively priced Asian devices that may soon find footholds in the West. Let's not even mention the effects going android would have on BB's security rep. Plus BlackBerry would be forced to compete on specs rather than software quality which in my opinion is their greatest strength right now.
    Tl;dr don't rejoice yet

Posted via CB10
    tanzarian likes this.
    07-10-15 01:07 PM
    These will be the same people who ask what was blackberry thinking about going android if this all goes bad, they have as much credibility as my 11 year old, the market will decide what it wants and if bb fails, then so be it, i will dust off the old flip phone, and frame my bb collection on the wall
    07-10-15 01:20 PM
    After all the familiar lamenting is done... eg: marketing, lack of apps, etc... BlackBerry has to make a rational choice as to where it goes from here. I think they are doing that.
    I know many disagree, but my Z10s weren't all that great. I had a Curve that I loved and absolutely beat to death, and it kept on doing its thing. Right through all the dust, mud, manure, grease, and any other flotsam you could think of. It lasted me 2 years and I was happy with that!
    When it did decide to pack it in, I specifically asked for another BlackBerry. However, my Z10 experience wasn't so stellar. The first one burned up one day as it was sitting locked in my front pocket. BlackBerry replaced it with a refurbished Z10 that proceeded to do the same thing 4 months later.
    All I wanted was a phone that could do everything my Curve could do, and stand up to my work environment. The Z10 wasn't it, unfortunately. Also, my work apps that were being developed for the App Store and Google Play were not being developed for BlackBerry World.
    So how long do you hang on before you gotta do what's right for you?
    I certainly hope that whatever BlackBerry comes up with will work without workarounds like sideloading etc...
    I'm just an average Joe business owner that wants to buy something and it works without me having to do all this stuff to it. (Yup. No hi tech guy here.)
    So yes BlackBerry. Build something with mass appeal. If you're still in the marketplace when my Samsung dies, I'll give you an honest look. If not, thanks for making the Curve.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-10-15 01:24 PM
    If BlackBerry scraps BB10 for Android on all phones - then I'm gone.
    The same for me.
    07-10-15 01:52 PM
    BB 10 is truly different and Mr Orf has obviously absolutely no clue what BlackBerry has developed in the last 2 years.
    Absolutely no clue. Totally agree.
    07-10-15 01:56 PM
    Please write 100 times on the board. . . . . .

BB10 isn't selling.
    BB10 Isn't selling.
    BB10 isnt selling.

Via my HTC One M9...
    You may also write several times...

Who is aware of BB10?
    Who is aware of BB10?
    Who is aware of BB10?
    07-10-15 01:58 PM
    I see it as if given the choice between a BB with Android and any other Android/iOS, some people would prefer the other choices.
    By all mean, it was not an attack on you, just the perfect hook for my to post. And yes, rumors are rumors.

We all should really chill and wait, but noooooo.....
    JRF_1986 likes this.
    07-10-15 02:48 PM
    You may also write several times...

Who is aware of BB10?
    Who is aware of BB10?
    Who is aware of BB10?
    Isn't that more convenient? Given that no one is aware of BB10, it is even easier to silently kill it off and rebranded with Android. This will save BBRY 10 of millions per year.
    When you're in a position with a constraint budget, you cut the one that didn't perform and focus on what could be the key revenue generator. Security and EMM are the future for BBRY. Taking the development resources from lame duck BB10 to focus on the EMM makes perfect sense. Check out the developer forum, it is pretty obvious that BB10 is in maintenance mode now, and all new feature and API development have long stopped. This full migration to Android is imminent. Regrettably, it is 3 years late.
    07-10-15 03:40 PM
    Add my vote to the "Tech blog that needed something to write today, but is about as dedicated to BlackBerry as they are to Kitchen Aid".

This isn't a trend on Giz to be respectful of BlackBerry: if it's not a change in editorial position on BlackBerry Ltd. coverage, it's clickbait. I'm not playing that game.
    07-10-15 04:17 PM
    By all mean, it was not an attack on you, just the perfect hook for my to post. And yes, rumors are rumors.

We all should really chill and wait, but noooooo.....
    Oh no, I didn't take it like that. I remember you from back in the day when I had the 8520. I never argue nor would I take anything as personal. Although after all these years, I see a lot of that in these forums.

I was just pointing out what I think people mean by the "I'm gone" expression. So, no harm done
    diegonei likes this.
    07-10-15 04:18 PM
    Pretty much sums up the exact sentiment I've seen shared by many friends/former BBOS users all over social media, who absolutely loved their BlackBerry days, and are looking forward to an Android BlackBerry.

The Android BlackBerry Slider has me personally excited about buying a new BlackBerry device. Something no BB10 device has really managed. Something I haven't felt about any BlackBerry since my Bold. The Z30 slightly had my interest, but specs : price and being a Verizon exclusive killed that for me. I made the mistake of switching carriers (coincidentally, to Verizon) specifically for a BlackBerry (Storm) before.
    JRF_1986 likes this.
    07-10-15 05:05 PM
    When that guy came up with this "Blackberry could deliver something thats truly different than any other smartphone out there. It just needs to ditch its horrible OS to get there...." I stopped reading any further not because I am a fanboy (admittedly, I am one) but he just lost the whole plot there.
    It is no secret that bad press and bad marketing along with ill timed business decisions had Blackberry in a vicious circle of survival and prioritising their resources. But to say OS is crap is most stupidest comment coming from that guy. These android rumours are so rife that it is pointless to explain why BB10 is not going google/android way at least in any blatant manner. Even as of now the % of people using Blackberry might be minuscule but I strongly feel as long as Blackberry continues to offer a pure BB10 environment there will be many takers around. The odd 1% users worldwide cannot dip any further and sensible users are willing to pay premium for a business device that ticks all the boxes for their needs.
    theone06 likes this.
    07-10-15 06:19 PM
    When that guy came up with this "Blackberry could deliver something that’s truly different than any other smartphone out there. It just needs to ditch its horrible OS to get there...." I stopped reading any further not because I am a fanboy (admittedly, I am one) but he just lost the whole plot there.
    It is no secret that bad press and bad marketing along with ill timed business decisions had Blackberry in a vicious circle of survival and prioritising their resources. But to say OS is crap is most stupidest comment coming from that guy. These android rumours are so rife that it is pointless to explain why BB10 is not going google/android way at least in any blatant manner. Even as of now the % of people using Blackberry might be minuscule but I strongly feel as long as Blackberry continues to offer a pure BB10 environment there will be many takers around. The odd 1% users worldwide cannot dip any further and sensible users are willing to pay premium for a business device that ticks all the boxes for their needs.
    Except BlackBerry market share is far less than 1%. I believe 0.4% was the last quoted number I read somewhere... and that is BlackBerry's total market share. BBOS and BB10 combined... Of which, I believe BBOS is still the majority. So BB10 is maybe 0.15-0.20% global market share?
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-10-15 08:16 PM
    If Gizmodo needs to get hacked, used, exploited, manipulated by mobile terrorists they don't need to buy an android infested Blackberry.....plenty of Android devices out there. What's the upside of a BB running Andoid? They will still get the same snobby attitude: why are you still using a Blackberry?
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    07-10-15 08:54 PM
    First you write 200 times on the board:

The misery with BB 10 is only a marketing problem.
    At least 70% of the people I know use their smartphones

- only for calls, e-mails, WhatsApp and to take pictures occasionally.
    - and have never heard of BB 10

They don't need apps, the don't care about premium specs, and actually I converted a few of them to BB 10 (which was very hard, because the sales reps in the shops promote only iOS or Android).

And I would imagine that about 50% of the global smartphone users belong to the same category.
    Your argument. Is old. It has been posted a 100 times over the past three years.

Folks want apps.
    BB tried to get apps.
    BB failed to get apps.

BB10, I really hate to say, is a failure.

Via my HTC One M9...
    07-10-15 09:41 PM
    Your argument. Is old. It has been posted a 100 times over the past three years.

Folks want apps.
    BB tried to get apps.
    BB failed to get apps.

BB10, I really hate to say, is a failure.

Via my HTC One M9...
    The argument is still valid because of no marketing. People younger than me (like 100%) are app centric in their needs. People I know older than me, maybe 70% isn't unreasonable, do not use apps, have no interest in apps, and are phone, email, text, and browser only. They got an iPhone or Android because they saw it on TV, was suggested by sales or their kids.

I was at a BBQ on the weekend with construction, building design, small business people and when my distinctive BB10 ring is heard, 3 out of like 8 guys have Z10's and LOVE them. They don't know about Blend or other BlackBerry features, but they love the phone for the basic functionality that it delivers. I tell them to get a $199 Z30, and its like, "why? This is perfect and I love the size in my hand". The guy is like 6 ft+ and hands bigger than mine.

Not interested in big, the latest specs, apps, etc. They like that the phone is productive ("gets the mf'ing job done"). This market exists, but no marketing and its all basically word of mouth and BlackBerry loyalists.

And I run into some people who have BB5 phones who now loathe BlackBerry and have no idea of BB10 lineup and think BlackBerry still peddling old, old models. *cough* blond and hot*cough*. She thinks her new iPhone 6 is sexy. I was there the first day she was using it, she was cursing it at every step, but saying she'll get used to it once she learns more. She seemed like she'd stick with it even if she didn't like it, rather than investigating what she really wants in a phone. She is older than me. Phone was referred to her by someone younger than me.

I think BlackBerry should have just aimed for an older demographic now that I think about it.

Posted via CB10
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    07-10-15 11:26 PM
    BlackBerry 10 isn't going anywhere.
    Sexy Sadie likes this.
    07-11-15 12:08 AM
    This seems to be the sentiment of a lot of tech bloggers out there, and I don't think that it should be overlooked.

It's probably safe to say that the majority of us, here on Crackberry, are a tad bias when it comes to BlackBerry. I've used other phones, and OSs, but I, admittedly, have a passion for BlackBerry that I don't have for any other inanimate products or companies. Although, I bought a wok the other month, and boy is that pretty awesome... I guess the point is that IF BlackBerry developed an Android phone, there are a lot of influential people out there who would absolutely love it. More so, if you read the comments on articles like this, they're filled with people saying that they would love to come back to BlackBerry if they could have Android, with a physical keyboard. I really think that this could do things for the company that no amount of money could buy. At this point, they could literally give away BlackBerry phones, with the stipulation that they must be used, and 99% of the market still wouldn't take them.

It's fair that there are people who would want a BB10 OS phone, and that's fine, but if BlackBerry can figure out how to sell secure Android phones, as well as BB10 phones, they would make a lot of people happy.
    I agree, this "Blackberry Android rumor" has really been blowing up all over the tech, economic, and news sites the last few days. Of course it can still be only a rumor but with this much attention from the media, which BB has not seen in about 2 years, my guess is that it is true. Practically all are saying this is the best move for Blackberry in terms of handsets.

Also, Chen recently said that he would not build an Android Blackberry until "...I can fully secure it". Think about that; any half-wit software engineer can secure Android. What Chen is really saying is that he will build an Android phone if Google would allow Blackberry to fully secure the OS [which include removing some of the permissions that Play demands it have]. Guess what? The two have entered into a partnership. My guess is that Blackberry will be allowed to fully lock down Android yet still get access to the full Play Store. What Google would get in return are a few million more users who likely would never consider Android (BB diehards who won't leave the beloved Blackberry) plus those in the emerging markets Chen continuously states he is after. This would largely be a win-win for Google and a win-kinda maybe win for Blackberry.

I have personally given up on Google a few years ago. I do not use any Google apps, including their search engine anymore. I do keep a Gmail account, but only because I have yet to fully switch contacts over to my other account, but I am getting there. In my effort to go Google free, this would put me in a conundrum that would require BB to really deliver if they are to fully drop Blackberry BB10 or else I am gone.

I also do not think it was a coincidence that Android Run Time was built into BB10. I mean, it now seems to have had nothing to do with the "app gap". It seems clear now that this was likely their intention all along but I imagine Blackberry was trying to do it without help from Google; that is lead up to an eventual version of BB10 that was essentially a fork of Android but not necessarily Google's Android (more like a cross between Amazon Fire OS and BB10, that is). Plus there is the severe lack of BB10 advertising. I mean, I only recall that one commercial two years ago and that was it. RIM put way more advertising into the Playbook over any given month than Blackberry has put into BB10 over the last two years+. It is like they are trying to fail on purpose.

If they are, and they do go Android, here is a pro tip for ya: buy a lot of BB stock. It may be $5/share today but a year from now it can very well be $500/share. Okay, a bit of a stretch but you get the point. It's artificial stock inflation at its finest.

I am sure it is a great day for many, a sad one for others, and for me; I remain apprehensive.
    Last edited by crucial bbq; 07-11-15 at 01:05 AM.
    07-11-15 12:54 AM
    The Gizmodo author described BB 10 as a horrible OS. Did he actually took the time to use it properly? To me, another "tech" author without a clue.

CB10 - Passport
    07-11-15 01:28 AM
    I'm getting a BIG sense of Palm/HP dj vu...

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    07-11-15 01:55 AM
    I agree with this author in a lot of ways. I disagree with the statements about horrible OS. BB10 is a great OS, but nobody wants to develop for it and the platform is on life support. WebOS was supposedly a great OS, but that didn't save it. You can have a great OS, if people don't buy it, it's time to try something else.
    07-11-15 02:09 AM
    Isn't that more convenient? Given that no one is aware of BB10, it is even easier to silently kill it off and rebranded with Android. This will save BBRY 10 of millions per year.
    When you're in a position with a constraint budget, you cut the one that didn't perform and focus on what could be the key revenue generator. Security and EMM are the future for BBRY. Taking the development resources from lame duck BB10 to focus on the EMM makes perfect sense. Check out the developer forum, it is pretty obvious that BB10 is in maintenance mode now, and all new feature and API development have long stopped. This full migration to Android is imminent. Regrettably, it is 3 years late.
    I agree with the fact that The focus must be EMM, QNX, IoT and Security. On the other hand I don't see the point of entering a hugely fragmented market where some big names are struggling to survive making Android phones (HTC, Sony). If software is the new focus of the company, and the target is enterprise, why don't they spend resources for increasing BlackBerry 10 awareness and build enterprise applications?

The point for me is not having thousands and thousands of applications, but having the right ones and quality ones, and very little effort was done here.

This seems to me as a desperate effort to try to survive in the hardware market, but in my opinion is not the right one. Only time will tell.

Meanwhile I will stick with my Z30 until I extract the last drop of juice from it, and then I will onboard a quality platform, and that is not Android.

Regards.
    Last edited by tanzarian; 07-11-15 at 04:03 AM.
    07-11-15 03:29 AM
77 1234