07-16-15 06:24 AM
77 123 ...
tools
    Why I Suddenly Care About Blackberry

Basically the view from Android fans about all of the current Android BlackBerry rumors.

Pretty interesting read.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 06:01 PM
    Easy for him to be excited, he likes Android.

BlackBerry 10 people won't feel good about any of this until we know for sure BlackBerry 10 isn't being totally scrapped.

I'm fine with them running Android on some phones for consumers, so they can have their Snap Chat and blahblahblah, but I use BlackBerry for their OS (and keyboard), and taking away their OS and replacing it with one I personally loathe using (Android) is really unsettling for someone like me who has stuck with BlackBerry since 2006 and doesn't want to see the end of BlackBerry being solely BlackBerry.
    07-09-15 06:18 PM
    As a stockholder, this pleases me.
    07-09-15 06:25 PM
    I've been with BlackBerry since about 2002. But I think I agree that they'll have a better chance of getting old BlackBerry users back with an OS that has a more complete App selection. It's not only games anymore but Business applications are lacking which counteracts the "business" phone argument.

Posted via CB10
    DJM626, 21stNow, bp2k7 and 5 others like this.
    07-09-15 06:26 PM
    . It's not only games anymore but Business applications are lacking which counteracts the "business" phone argument.
    Probably the most important point in the article. Where I work, most people simply cannot do their jobs without apps. So we can't issue BlackBerry phones any more and expect them to suceed. This is also why we were one of the Fortune 100 companies that didn't convert our BES12 trial, because the folks over in internal IT think we're done with BlackBerry and are moving on.

Now if BlackBerry comes back with a secure Android phone packaged with the new version of BES12, that can run all of our apps and manage all of our other phones well, I think that may be enough to put BlackBerry back in the running as a serious option.
    07-09-15 06:34 PM
    Why would I suddenly care about Gizmodo?

Lol

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 06:41 PM
    Probably the most important point in the article. Where I work, most people simply cannot do their jobs without apps. So we can't issue BlackBerry phones any more and expect them to suceed. This is also why we were one of the Fortune 100 companies that didn't convert our BES12 trial, because the folks over in internal IT think we're done with BlackBerry and are moving on.

Now if BlackBerry comes back with a secure Android phone packaged with the new version of BES12, that can run all of our apps and manage all of our other phones well, I think that may be enough to put BlackBerry back in the running as a serious option.
    I'm sure they'll be glad to just be 'an option'.

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 06:47 PM
    This seems to be the sentiment of a lot of tech bloggers out there, and I don't think that it should be overlooked.

It's probably safe to say that the majority of us, here on Crackberry, are a tad bias when it comes to BlackBerry. I've used other phones, and OSs, but I, admittedly, have a passion for BlackBerry that I don't have for any other inanimate products or companies. Although, I bought a wok the other month, and boy is that pretty awesome... I guess the point is that IF BlackBerry developed an Android phone, there are a lot of influential people out there who would absolutely love it. More so, if you read the comments on articles like this, they're filled with people saying that they would love to come back to BlackBerry if they could have Android, with a physical keyboard. I really think that this could do things for the company that no amount of money could buy. At this point, they could literally give away BlackBerry phones, with the stipulation that they must be used, and 99% of the market still wouldn't take them.

It's fair that there are people who would want a BB10 OS phone, and that's fine, but if BlackBerry can figure out how to sell secure Android phones, as well as BB10 phones, they would make a lot of people happy.

*UPDATE* Just came across this video today and thought it was worth adding. He's kind of joking around, but it still get the point across. Start watching at 2:05.

Last edited by hoopitz; 07-14-15 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Added Video
    07-09-15 07:07 PM
    Yup,.. I would say that the 'buzz' this could create for them warrants shifting most of their marketing budget to R&D in order to get it done right.

Posted via CB10
    LazyEvul and neoberry99 like this.
    07-09-15 07:13 PM
    Articles like this are why I have a lot of hope for an Android-powered BlackBerry. I just really, really hope they don't screw it up.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    07-09-15 07:23 PM
    1). I don't recall seeing that particular video. Ever!

2). I think it's a smart move for BlackBerry to incorporate Android (for financial reasons).

3). I hope Mr. Chen is a man of his word when he said BB10 isn't going anywhere!

We'll see though!

The Z10 STL 100-3 on 10.3.1.2708 BlackBerry owners on AT&T Channel C0032C652
    07-09-15 07:43 PM
    They're just building BlackBerry up then knock it down. It's a win-win for them. If the android sucks, they'll just say "see, BlackBerry lost their touch" and continue the bashing. If if runs well, they'll say "see, this is what BlackBerry should have done all along" and ask why if took BlackBerry so long.

Market is saturated with Android. Be different maduhfookers.

Posted via CB10
    DarkJoker33 and RyanGermann like this.
    07-09-15 08:15 PM

I have to agree. I love my BlackBerry Passport more than any other phone but not being able to connect to my company VPN because there is no working netExtender app and therefore losing access to the smb Shared Drive is a huge loss for me. I have to rely on my Ipad mini to access files on the go.

I am a professional who finds the lack of apps on the BlackBerry OS to be a large problem for a so-called business phone. It's irritating to hear people still call iphones "toys." it's that basic viewpoint that has strangled my hope for a stronger BlackBerry presence which would allow their superior OS to reach a strong enough saturation point to attract native devs.

I'm interested to see how this plays out. I don't, however, want to lose BB10.

Posted via my gorgeous red Passport
    07-09-15 08:27 PM
    This tech blogger cares about BlackBerry coming to Android. Not my cup of tea. He seems to indicate that a certain % of Android users would love to have the BlackBerry keyboard on their phone. That remains to be seen and what % would buy an Android BlackBerry phone. Your forecast is as good as mine.

If BlackBerry wants to manufacture a Droid BlackBerry phone and grab more market share - then go for it.

If BlackBerry scraps BB10 for Android on all phones - then I'm gone.
    DonTonyB, tanzarian and Sexy Sadie like this.
    07-09-15 09:08 PM
    As someone who's used a BlackBerry exclusively for the past 13 years, it's the opposite for me.
    With the inability to connect to work and get business and other professional apps ( I could care less about games). I'll be finally switching away from BlackBerry if they don't come up with a option more compatible with what I need. I love the phones and the BlackBerry experience but need more.
    I think the tens of millions of those who have already moved away from BlackBerry would agree. BlackBerry probably has a much better chance of getting some of those users back than they do try to keep the current user base.

Posted via CB10
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-09-15 09:28 PM
    It is scary what constitutes a " writer " in today's age. That was painful to read .

Posted via CB10
    07-09-15 09:52 PM
    It is scary what constitutes a " writer " in today's age. That was painful to read .

Posted via CB10
    You read the whole thing? I tapped out at "all they have to do is ditch their horrible OS".

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 04:33 AM
    You read the whole thing? I tapped out at "all they have to do is ditch their horrible OS".
    Posted via CB10
    He actually wrotes "Blackberry could deliver something that’s truly different than any other smartphone out there. It just needs to ditch its horrible OS to get there."

I can't take this seriously.
    This is a tech nerd? Really?

Throwing just another Android fork in the market (in addition to CyanogenMod, Fire OS, Private OS etc etc. ...) is seen as "truly different"?
    Holy cow, it's still an Android, there is nothing truly different!

BB 10 is truly different and Mr Orf has obviously absolutely no clue what BlackBerry has developed in the last 2 years.
    07-10-15 04:53 AM
    I had no idea you could rotate the screen and use the keyboard to scroll down. I know I can do it horztionally but didn't know it was possible vertically.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Passport | Been around the world, don't speak the language but workin' wide need no explainin'
    07-10-15 06:59 AM
    He actually wrotes "Blackberry could deliver something thats truly different than any other smartphone out there. It just needs to ditch its horrible OS to get there."

Throwing just another Android fork in the market (in addition to CyanogenMod, Fire OS, Private OS etc etc. ...) is seen as "truly different"?

BB 10 is truly different and Mr Orf has obviously absolutely no clue what BlackBerry has developed in the last 2 years.
    Please write 100 times on the board. . . . . .

BB10 isn't selling.
    BB10 Isn't selling.
    BB10 isnt selling.

Via my HTC One M9...
    jmr1015 likes this.
    07-10-15 07:57 AM
    He actually wrotes "Blackberry could deliver something that’s truly different than any other smartphone out there. It just needs to ditch its horrible OS to get there."

Sometimes being different is not that great of a thing... BB10 is so different that developers and customers have stayed away from it. BB10 has been "dying" for a long time now... It's been a year now that BlackBerry recommended developers to take their apps to the Amazon store.

But I am concerned about how will BlackBerry compete. The Android world is all about SPECS, and I really don't see BlackBerry being able to have someone else build their devices and then sell them at a competitive price with competitive hardware specs. And then there is the whole question of what impact will all these BlackBerry features have on performance. We all know what BBM's impact is.....

I think we are still talking about devices that will target a small niche.... one that is getting very crowded as BlackBerry tries to reinvent themselves.
    07-10-15 09:10 AM
    Sometimes being different is not that great of a thing... BB10 is so different that developers and customers have stayed away from it. BB10 has been "dying" for a long time now... It's been a year now that BlackBerry recommended developers to take their apps to the Amazon store.

But I am concerned about how will BlackBerry compete. The Android world is all about SPECS, and I really don't see BlackBerry being able to have someone else build their devices and then sell them at a competitive price with competitive hardware specs. And then there is the whole question of what impact will all these BlackBerry features have on performance. We all know what BBM's impact is.....

I think we are still talking about devices that will target a small niche.... one that is getting very crowded as BlackBerry tries to reinvent themselves.
    If BlackBerry were to start using Android, I think we'll definitely see high end phones from them. And the fact they own they pkb market I can wait to see what hardware they bring to the table with Android OS.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    07-10-15 09:23 AM
    Blackberry could deliver something thats truly different than any other smartphone out there. It just needs to ditch its horrible OS to get there--- looking for something different, so must ditch an already different OS??? Tsk tsk tsk.. And by different meaning to become one of them??? Scratching head now..

Posted via CB10
    07-10-15 09:27 AM
    If keeping BlackBerry around means developing hardware for Android then I'm all for it. Blackberry hardware is A1 and if sticking with bb10 means the death of BlackBerry then BlackBerry jump ship!! Head for the hills!!

BlackBerry features integrated with Android. Count me in.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    07-10-15 10:06 AM
    If BlackBerry wants to manufacture a Droid BlackBerry phone and grab more market share - then go for it.

If BlackBerry scraps BB10 for Android on all phones - then I'm gone.
    I love this kind of statement!

Gone? Gone where? To one of the other platforms you didn't want to go to in the first place?

If it ever comes to BB10 going the way of the DooDoo, you can STILL keep using the device you have now! The only way your BB10 device really becomes useless is the day BlackBerry shuts down all servers (thus killing most functions of your device).

And if they really make and Android phone, we should at least take a look at it. BlackBerry is a master of security. My beef with Android was security (and the lack of a flow in the UI, and their keyboard - all things BlackBerry could skin Android to emulate BB10 and poof, problem solved). Should Blackberry fix all that, Androoid becomes indeed a viable option for MANY of us. This is just the android-powered BlackBerry device fork of the rumor! I won't even go into the hypervison fork!

Oh, also, like I said before: Offering an Android device DOES NOT EQUAL killing BB10.
    07-10-15 10:45 AM
77 123 ...