08-21-15 08:19 AM
137 ... 456
tools
    In this 1000% random and fictional scenario, it is :

Keep BB10 "as is" (enhance Android Player)
    +
    Launch a Cynagogen+MS services alternative, either as main OS or balance private/work split.

I'm just saying this is more plausible than BlackBerry going OHA with current restrictions.
    And it doesn't even worse 2 cents.
    I really don't see the point of going Android, if you don't get Google Play Access.

It's pretty much the same exact situation as now, but with one more product in the portfolio.
    If I have the Android player, or an Android without Google Play access...
    What's the difference?
    Essentially, it's all the same.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-22-15 11:35 AM
    Again, I'm not pretending this is the proper path ...
    Yet, Add Samsung in the equation and you get a pretty strong combo with MSFT here.
    They've been able to spend $millions to make developers port their apps to Tizen (as far as in the deep SW of France ...) so, even if they don't want/need/can afford a frontal war with Google, they can surely help.

That's only "creative" brainstorming !
    06-22-15 11:56 AM
    errgh just do what qnx do with.android apps & android auto/mirror link.
    Technically its already been done.Just that with the concept cars its just car apps not regular apps.
    06-22-15 05:13 PM
    Based on this discussion, it's a little troubling how much (apparently entirely discretionary) leverage Google has in an entire industry.

I think it's time to concede that they won, and to turn their framework into a universal infrastructure. Basically turning it into the equivalent of a toll road.

Posted via CB10
    It's not really leverage over an entire industry, it is leverage over those who want access to Google's Services.

What Google is doing is a restraint of trade of sorts. It is just a type of restraint of trade that would pass muster in an American Court.

This is what's called a vertical restraint of trade. Google is imposing restrictions on those who want to license its products. Courts generally defer to these kinds of restrictions. Plus, Google stated goal of ensuring compatibility and avoiding fragmentaion are good things that benefit consumers. The cell phone market is very competitive. It is unlikely that a court would intervene.

We'll see what happens with this. If BlackBerry is going to make an Android Phone, it wouldn't be worthwhile unless it is an OHA phone.
    If BlackBerry makes an Android phone, the Bb10 runtime will certainly be an issue.

Part of me thinks it will be a Samsung phone with BlackBerry software. Kind of like how OnePlus used Cyanogen's OS but still got OHA certification.

Posted via CB10
    mornhavon likes this.
    06-22-15 05:39 PM
    If BlackBerry 10 was to bundle AOSP under a Hypervisor which is fully open on the guest side, it wouldn't need any interaction with Google at all, users could just download gapps and be on their way.

Think of it like VMWare fusion or Parallels

Plus it'd be great for those who want to tweak the Android side of things, best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    06-22-15 06:42 PM
    ? Do you mean instead of switching to Android that has an ecosystem, switch to Windows which is struggling in the mobile market and is basically copying BlackBerry and putting a runtime on windows. Just not a runtime that is based on Android so it doesn't cause any issues with OEMs and the OHA. But still just a runtime that would allow Android Apps to be easily ported over to the Windows Platform... if developers want to do it.

While I think MS has the money and marketshare to "possible" make this work for them. Really don't see any advantage of BlackBerry choosing to go this route and become a Windows supplier.

Unless you meant that BlackBerry should copy what Windows is doing and use a Cyanogen Runtime instead of the Android one that they chose? But that puts them pretty much back..... nowhere.

Personally I feel that Chen wants out of hardware as it is losing money and there is no indication that is going to change. So I think just pulling the plug on hardware would hurt services sales too much. He needs a transition and the BlackBerry Experience and Android will provide that. So I can see the OHA being an option for the short term.
    Over 50% of Blackberry's revenue comes from hardware if and until software sales pick up and out performs hardware sales Chen won't get out of hardware sales.

Microsoft is not using a runtime of any kind they have developed a compiler that rewrites Android and IOS code to native Win10 code. Perhaps Blackberry should license this from MS?
    http://m.windowscentral.com/there-ar...-ios-compilers

Loving my Passport!
    06-22-15 07:34 PM
    If BlackBerry 10 was to bundle AOSP under a Hypervisor which is fully open on the guest side, it wouldn't need any interaction with Google at all, users could just download gapps and be on their way.

Think of it like VMWare fusion or Parallels

Plus it'd be great for those who want to tweak the Android side of things, best of both worlds.

Posted via CB10
    That kind of thing is not consumer friendly. Users right now expect functionality to be working right out of the box. Anything requiring sideloading/patching would be ignored by most consumers.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-23-15 03:27 AM
    This morning's earnings release is all about "software and technology.". The only reference to hardware seems to be that they're taking steps to make it profitable. I was expecting more definitive news.
    06-23-15 12:16 PM
    Would any of these options allow BB to port the new BB Android flavour to capable devices like the Passport? It would give them some seed users. Or would that put them further in violation of OHA? While we are speculating what is the chance they would backport this new OS at all?

About to buy a new phone, but a little leary of dropping cash on a new BB10 device, even though I loved my Z30 (RIP).
    08-18-15 11:04 AM
    That kind of thing is not consumer friendly. Users right now expect functionality to be working right out of the box. Anything requiring sideloading/patching would be ignored by most consumers.
    But it need not be difficult for consumers, all they would have to do is "install" it, the install button would flash the gapps in the same way gapps are flashed on custom roms

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Robin Borodin; 08-20-15 at 02:01 PM.
    08-20-15 01:43 PM
    But it need not be difficult for consumers, all they would have to do is "install" it, the install button would flash the gapps in the same way gapps are flashed on custom roms

Posted via CB10
    That would just been seen as an end-run around Google's license - they would be crazy to attempt to do that.
    08-21-15 03:36 AM
    That would just been seen as an end-run around Google's license - they would be crazy to attempt to do that.
    It wouldn't be crazy, it can be implemented in the same way AMI DuOS does on Windows. You have an app that flashes things to the runtime, you point it to the location of your gapps zip and press "install," which effectively flashes the zip.

BlackBerry could avoid even having to join the OHA this way.

Posted via CB10
    08-21-15 08:19 AM
137 ... 456