10-01-13 10:34 PM
27 12
tools
    09-28-13 01:06 AM
    Don't you think that if BlackBerry was to stop existing as we know it BES10 would be bought by someone and continue to operate?
    09-28-13 01:29 AM
    Don't you think that if BlackBerry was to stop existing as we know it BES10 would be bought by someone and continue to operate?
    As they point out there are now many viable and cheaper alternatives to BES. The thing I still find funny is how Blackberry will not divulge actually how many BES10 installations are real or just test installs. They say 25,000 but that's not a genuine "paying customer" figure.
    FSeverino likes this.
    09-28-13 01:33 AM
    As they point out there are now many viable and cheaper alternatives to BES. The thing I still find funny is how Blackberry will not divulge actually how many BES10 installations are real or just test installs. They say 25,000 but that's not a genuine "paying customer" figure.
    I've been saying for a while things like "I don't think BES is going all that well".....and that's exactly why....never giving numbers....the test servers reference is total BS....meaningless.....if they had some kind of good, or even decent number I think they would have said it - it would be absolutely stupid not to at this point. Its' even more glaring when they follow up the original "test" numbers with....more TEST numbers!! It does take time to make these kinds of sales, but this lack of any meaningful data, along with fee drops make me think that, at the least, things aren't on fire there. Mediocre or Ok sales...that could be....terrible sales....also possible.
    09-28-13 01:41 AM
    BBRY seems to have replied...

BBC News - Blackberry hits out at Gartner analysis

Blackberry hits out at Gartner analysis

Blackberry handset Blackberry has dismissed a recommendation that customers should plan to move away from using its products

The embattled smartphone maker said that firms using its products did not need to switch.

Blackberry said conclusions drawn about the viability of its business plans were "purely speculative".

Analyst firm Gartner had based its recommendation on Blackberry's financial losses and planned redundancies.

Blackberry said the job losses were part of its strategy to focus on its core enterprise business.

"We recognise and respect external parties' opinions on Blackberry's recent news," the company said in a statement. "However, many of the conclusions by Gartner about the potential impact of a sale or other strategic alternatives, are purely speculative."

Redundancies

Blackberry this month revealed that it would make half its workforce redundant by the end of the year, after losses of $950m (588m) in the second quarter.

The struggling Canadian firm, which has been hit hard by declining handset sales, has agreed in principle to be bought by a private consortium led by investor Fairfax Financial.

Blackberry products are used by governments and large financial institutions around the world for secure communications.

Gartner, one of the world's major technology analyst firms, said in a report last week that Blackberry customers were becoming increasingly concerned about the company's prospects.

The technology consultancy said Blackberry's hardware group could be sold to a foreign government, "which may be unsettling for some clients".

Businesses have up to six months to make plans to switch from Blackberry to alternatives, Gartner said in its report.

Organisations should move completely away from Blackberry or phase out Blackberry handset use for everyone apart from executives, Gartner recommended.
    needforbbx likes this.
    09-30-13 11:09 AM
    Sad that it has come to this. The enterprise ("prosumer"), which has been its base, is being eroded. They need to seal the deal with Fairfax and deal with this restructuring quietly (as possible) ... and IMHO Thor needs the boot.
    09-30-13 11:35 AM
    Sad that it has come to this. The enterprise ("prosumer"), which has been its base, is being eroded. They need to seal the deal with Fairfax and deal with this restructuring quietly (as possible) ... and IMHO Thor needs the boot.
    This makes it tough, though, if BBRY was going to focus on enterprise (and presumably drop or scale back handheld production) after a sale. That's a less viable future than it was before given Gartner's recommendations.
    09-30-13 11:46 AM
    From 2003 but still very relevant:

Who Owns Gartner?

The same VC's and private equity firms that fund other mobile security and mdm companies.

Who Owns Gartner? - - - Informationweek
    _dimi_, Corbu and alan510 like this.
    09-30-13 11:46 AM
    Best way to put down a company

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 11:50 AM
    I'm still investing in BBRY in the enterprise. The phones do what we need, they communicate impeccably well.

Typed on and then corrected by my Z10
    09-30-13 11:52 AM
    This is pretty bad news and will hurt Blackberry since a lot of technology based news website use Gartner's research information. I just hope they don't delay the sales / take over process like they delayed the BBM launch.
    09-30-13 12:14 PM
    From 2003 but still very relevant:

Who Owns Gartner?

The same VC's and private equity firms that fund other mobile security and mdm companies.

Who Owns Gartner? - - - Informationweek
    That same article claimed that 90% of corporate IT departments use Gartner research.
    09-30-13 12:37 PM
    That same article claimed that 90% of corporate IT departments use Gartner research.
    Lolz. People that write articles like that run countries. That's why everything is financially failing apart from the sex and drug trade, both of which aren't regulated by the 1%.

Typed on and then corrected by my Z10
    09-30-13 12:59 PM
    Right now nobody knows what will happen with BlackBerry.... that is enough of a reason to look at alternatives. Either to replace existing systems that are outdated, or as a way to be informed and ready in case the worst does happen with BB. NEVER a good idea to have your customers looking at the competition.

The SALE is going to hurt an already pretty beat up brand. Really don't see anything short of some technology breakthrough saving the devices that we love... (or at least use to love).
    richardat and kevinnugent like this.
    09-30-13 01:35 PM
    I think i I see the phrase "embattled smartphone maker" one more time I'm gonna barf.

Posted via CB10
    eldricho and Knightcrawler like this.
    09-30-13 02:11 PM
    I think i I see the phrase "embattled smartphone maker" one more time I'm gonna barf.

Posted via CB10
    "Struggling" is another one that's been having quite a run.
    09-30-13 02:14 PM
    "Struggling" is another one that's been having quite a run.
    Yes that too.

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 02:15 PM
    It's funny that I have spoken with many CIOs for security solutions which were straight newcomers and most of the time when I started to quote Gartner, or Forrester, they told me that they choose what fits best and are annoyed that it pretty much just shows how well the others are doing in marketing and popularity in comparison to the products I was pushing....

All BlackBerry needs is an edge in Enterprise security and a reasonable price. Both are missing at the moment as stated by the blog here on CB last Friday.....

Sad but true...

Posted via CB10
    09-30-13 02:23 PM
    As much as I detest Gartner, their half-assed analysis is taken as gospel by many US Government IT organizations. I've seen so much money wasted because of Gartner recommendations that it is silly. This is not good for BlackBerry though.
    09-30-13 04:01 PM
    Gartner has been irrelevant for a long time

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10
    09-30-13 04:29 PM
    Gartner has been irrelevant for a long time

Posted via my BlackBerry Z10
    Really? I suspect you wouldn't be saying that if their conclusion was different. I don't like Gartner myself but they are influential.
    kevinnugent and Bsbudd like this.
    09-30-13 08:04 PM
    BB's reply unwittingly said it all:

Blackberry said conclusions drawn about the viability of its business plans were "purely speculative".

Exactly BB. I would not recommend any consumers, let alone businesses place any reliance on that.
    JeepBB likes this.
    09-30-13 08:10 PM
    I just came here to see if this was posted, this isn't good, this can spread like the plague. On a positive note, nobody is ever quick to change enterprise anything, so it may just be hot air that nobody listens to. like always, wait and see.
    09-30-13 11:35 PM
    I'm surprised they haven't dusted off "beleaguered" again. That was the go-to word for Apple back in the mid-90's when they were really hurting.
    09-30-13 11:50 PM
    I just came here to see if this was posted, this isn't good, this can spread like the plague. On a positive note, nobody is ever quick to change enterprise anything, so it may just be hot air that nobody listens to. like always, wait and see.
    Enterprise doesn't change all that rapidly, true, but the antennae have been extended for at least a year and a half now, since Heins announced that first round of layoffs and the delay in releasing BB10. That caught a lot of attention, and eventually led to many a decision not to adopt BES10 and/or to adopt a wait and see posture. So it's a warning shot across the bow of those who did take a chance with BES10, and a signal to those with legacy BES servers that the time may be coming soon to send an email to whoever is left on their BB users list to prepare to change platforms.
    10-01-13 05:59 AM
27 12