At a party with Ron MacLean....and yes he uses a BlackBerry Passport!

Posted via CB10
    m3mb3rsh1p likes this.
    07-18-15 09:55 PM
    Say hi to him for me!
    07-18-15 09:59 PM
    Was he with Don?

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.2.2339
    07-18-15 10:21 PM
    Nope...no Don...standing beside me but I am too cool to ask for a pic! Oakville house party

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 10:36 PM
    Coolness is overrated. He is "The" Ron MacLean and he just got honoured yesterday so he's expecting some photo action over the next little while. Get that picture and post it in the Berryspotting thread please! You have a unique reason too so he'll want to do it. He's the cool one right now, not you so don't be bashful. If he was in the same room with someone he considers a celebrity he would ask for a photo too. Do it! Do it!

You could say, "I feel special because you like the same phone as me! May I take a picture of us?"

Or hand your phone to someone else and ask them to pretend to be a photographer walking around and they'll walk up to you and say "Oh Just look over here."
    07-18-15 10:41 PM
    Here you go....made sure he held up his Z30....
    FYI- Canadian Celeb-img_20150718_225309.jpg

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 11:02 PM
    Sorry...i have the Z30...The Ron has the Passport

Posted via CB10
    07-18-15 11:09 PM
    Excellent! I feel the urge to start looking for these celebrity meets, autographs and such. It hasn't been an area of interest but I'm starting to realize that celebrities anchor the moments, events and memories in the lives of their generation.
    neoberry99 likes this.
    07-18-15 11:42 PM
    Tell him Canada hates George strombolopolos!!! He ruined HNIC!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 12:41 AM
    IMHO, HNIC hasn't changed "that" much. We still get Ron's puns, Don's sermons and all Strombo has to do is pass the puck around the table which he does nicely.
    07-19-15 04:06 AM
    Good for Ron - Good guy .
    07-19-15 07:22 AM
    Ron MacLean is a weatherman and never was a hockey player. I doubt he even played minor hockey. However, Don is that rare commodity being both a former NHL player and Head coach, in other words, Don is the real deal and Ron is a wanna be. This is why Grapes gets frustrated when Ron makes comments that might be factual but without real experience to temper or color his comments.

I've often thought Ron has always tried to upstage Don with his encyclopedic hockey knowledge, but Don is of course is well known for his outspoken manner and basically shuts him up. I suppose that's the whole reason why this pairing works so well.

I have met Don, with my hockey playing son an he was nothing but gracious and respectful.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 07-19-15 at 10:13 AM.
    sangheta85 likes this.
    07-19-15 09:54 AM
    I thought Ron was a referee at some point,lol
    07-19-15 10:06 AM
    Ron MacLean is a weatherman (for a short period of time) and never was hockey player ( But is a fully certified Level 5 Hockey referee). I doubt he even played minor hockey. However, Don is that rare commodity being both a former NHL player and Head coach, in other words, Don is the real deal and Ron is a wanna be. This is why Grapes gets frustrated when Ron makes comments that might be factual but without real experience to temper or color his comments.

I've often thought Ron has always tried to upstage Don with his encyclopedic hockey knowledge, but Don is of course is well known for his outspoken manner and basically shuts him up. I suppose that's the whole reason why this pairing works so well.

I have met Don, with my hockey playing son an he was nothing but gracious and respectful.
    Fixed a few things for you and as a referee, you are every bit as aware of what the end game is on the ice and how you go about accomplishing it so he has PLENTY of actual on-ice experience. I LOVE Don Cherry to pieces and when he departs from HNIC, a true legend will be gone from the Canadian air waves. As for Don being a "former NHL player", I'd bet even Don would tell you that he was far from a gifted talent and his coaching ability then (as fortunate as he was to be there at the right time) would not serve him one second in today's era of the NHL. Just THIS posters humble opinion.....
    07-19-15 10:14 AM
    I think Ron is way better than Don, Don is past his prime, well Ron is in his! I still like coach's corner and both of them, but I prefer Ron

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 01:51 PM
    Ron MacLean is a weatherman and never was a hockey player. I doubt he even played minor hockey. However, Don is that rare commodity being both a former NHL player and Head coach, in other words, Don is the real deal and Ron is a wanna be. This is why Grapes gets frustrated when Ron makes comments that might be factual but without real experience to temper or color his comments.

Not if you're in the west!!!! Only time Ron Maclean is seen is at the random Kraft locations they plunk him into. I never really liked his smug demeanor but he's light years ahead of that much music VJ Strombolopolos.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 02:03 PM
    Not if you're in the west!!!! Only time Ron Maclean is seen is at the random Kraft locations they plunk him into. I never really liked his smug demeanor but he's light years ahead of that much music VJ Strombolopolos.

Posted via CB10
    Smug demeanor? Ron McLean? I think you're alone on that one. I would have said humble.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-15 04:51 PM
    Here you go....made sure he held up his Z30....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150718_225309.jpg 
Views:	1116 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	363192

Posted via CB10
    Is that your typical BlackBerry camera in action?
    mh1983 likes this.
    07-20-15 12:36 PM
    Is that your typical BlackBerry camera in action?
    Yes. Hahahahahaha LOL

That's what I thought too as soon as I saw the photo.
    07-20-15 01:15 PM
    Yes a Z30 front camera in a low light environment with no flash

Posted via CB10
    07-20-15 05:51 PM
    Yes. Hahahahahaha LOL

That's what I thought too as soon as I saw the photo.
    Enterprise focus...? ;-)

  "BB Android Armageddon: Chenisys is uploading in 5,4,3..."  
    07-20-15 06:11 PM
    Fixed a few things for you and as a referee, you are every bit as aware of what the end game is on the ice and how you go about accomplishing it so he has PLENTY of actual on-ice experience. I LOVE Don Cherry to pieces and when he departs from HNIC, a true legend will be gone from the Canadian air waves. As for Don being a "former NHL player", I'd bet even Don would tell you that he was far from a gifted talent and his coaching ability then (as fortunate as he was to be there at the right time) would not serve him one second in today's era of the NHL. Just THIS posters humble opinion.....
    Hi Paullybob :

Please don't think I'm flaming you, cause I'm not. However, I have to take issue with your reply.

Referees are NOT players and to compare them is like comparing an F1 driver and the guy who drives the pace car, there is simply is no comparison. Less than 1% of all kids on the NHL track ever play for a team and making it to the NHL is a REAL accomplishment , even if you never become a marquee player. Don C. played for many years, so he must have had some talent.

I do respect Ron M. as a broadcaster and hats off to him for his reffing trys, but he's not a serious hockey commentator and I for one, only really listen to the guys who have been there and done it. He's like George S. who always seems to be talking above his understanding of the game, but does have great oration skills, as does Ron.
    07-20-15 09:04 PM
    Hi Paullybob :

Please don't think I'm flaming you, cause I'm not. However, I have to take issue with your reply.

Referees are NOT players and to compare them is like comparing an F1 driver and the guy who drives the pace car, there is simply is no comparison. Less than 1% of all kids on the NHL track ever play for a team and making it to the NHL is a REAL accomplishment , even if you never become a marquee player. Don C. played for many years, so he must have had some talent.

I do respect Ron M. as a broadcaster and hats off to him for his reffing trys, but he's not a serious hockey commentator and I for one, only really listen to the guys who have been there and done it. He's like George S. who always seems to be talking above his understanding of the game, but does have great oration skills, as does Ron.
    I'm trying not to argue, but your point is missing substance. "he's not a serious hockey commentator". Why? If you were to say, "on ice experience gives you blah blah blah", you'd be saying something. But you really didn't make one, IMO. Having incredible knowledge of the game, the rules, the environment, player interactions, etc, is extremely valuable.

There are lots of coaches in the NHL who never played professionally. There are many great players who are absolute garbage coaches. There are absolute garbage coaches who are great commentators. There are lots of retired players who are bad commentators. There seems to be lots of ex-goalie commentators. It's not a stereo type thing, its the qualities of the person.

There's lots of times where Don just doesn't make sense and/or wrong. Where you said "This is why Grapes gets frustrated when Ron makes comments that might be factual but without real experience to temper or color his comments", I don't take this as shrugging off without experience, I take this as Don being irrational and ignoring facts and/or common sense. I don't care enough to go watch YouTube video's and point it out, but that is my experience.

I'd say over two decades, I've watched Don where several people watching with me would agree Don is just wrong about something. I can't think of any specific instances where people I've watched with took issue with Ron.
    07-20-15 09:36 PM
    I don't think one has to have "lived it" to be able to "understand it." A lot of good sports reporters/journalists understand their sport without having actually played. Even serious sports fans can gain an in-depth understanding of their favourite sport just by watching the game.

There is a distinction between being "able" and being "knowledgeable". I am knowledgeable enough in curling that I would feel confident telling Rachel Homan that she should have peeled a guard instead of playing a come-around in the tenth end, with hammer. Unfortunately, I have never curled and even if I had, I probably would make worse calls on the sheet because of pressure and practical inexperience.

Ron may not have played NHL hockey, but his is an opinion to take seriously because he has been watching, tracking, commenting on hockey professionally for nearly three decades! He is eminently knowledgeable!
    07-20-15 10:49 PM