11-13-13 04:15 AM
263 ... 34567 ...
tools
    I did because I found it funny! I know, strange sense of humor!

Posted via CB10
    So'd I.

Q10 and Canadian all the way! Q10SQN100-3/10.2.0.1791
    11-08-13 08:54 PM

11-08-13 08:57 PM
    Found this piece written by James Nieves over at Berryflow. Interesting even if it's still rumored but I say bring ittt!

"A thread live and kicking in CB Forums has brought fourth several arguments and would-be explanations behind BlackBerry and Google uniting ecosystems for BlackBerry World allowing full access of Android apps within BlackBerry World. Could this deal potentially make money for Google while allowing BlackBerry to solve it?s biggest problem, apps? Sporting a 4.2.2 Android Jelly Bean runtime on BlackBerry 10.2, I speculatedback in May BlackBerry was working to amass an app catalog of up to 1 millionand take the fight directly to Apple and Samsung.

And I wasn?t taking out of THIN AIRJefferies in a research report made such claims:

?The Blackberry 10 has got the support from a private company, which will allow the whole Android catalog to be ported on BB10 devices, and the user will feel that the whole catalog is native and has not been ported. The company will provide the solution that will be a link between BB10 and Android ecosystem of more than 700,000 touch enabled apps?

Within the latest forums comes an interesting reasoning behind all the subterfuge:

CatlinFD

?Actually you?re incorrect and I can confirm the legitimacy of the OP and I?m not associated with the OP. I don?t even know who the OP is or his friend.The runtime has been released in BB World so that BlackBerry can now update the runtime outside of carrier?s control to enable access to Google Play and whatnot when this hits. It?s not a minor update, there is more to come.

Google and BlackBerry has recently entered an agreement to bypass the Open Alliance relationship so that BlackBerry can deploy Google Play onto BlackBerry 10 as well as enable the currently disabled Google Services Framework (GSF) embedded into the runtime. Meaning not only in the future will users be able to download apps directly from Google Play on device, every single native functionality will be available for use. In plain English, every single Android application will work without the need to sideload, without the need for a debug token or any form of method to enable functionality to work. But you?ll need to be on a 10.2.1 build or higher?

Technicality

All native functionality of Android is fully in the runtime right now. It?s just disabled or blacklisted by BlackBerry. It?s not difficult to reenable and now they have full permission to. This is the reason the leaked 10.2.1 builds have ceased. Current builds and radios are currently PIN-Locked meaning if you try to load them onto your device without your PIN being whitelisted, your device will brick. In the higher 10.2.1 builds the new functionality has been added in so users now have access to Google Play and a new runtime that unleashes the potential of Android apps. As far as I am aware, widgets and other applications will continue to not be able to work but applications such as Google Maps will have full access to GSF and other frameworks required for the application to function at 100%. They have curbed the leaks with the intention to hide the fact this is forthcoming.

Testimonial

The explanation for hiding it is the sale of the company, fixing the app ecosystem would obviously cause the stocks to raise when BB10 users could download thousands upon thousands of more applications where they work exactly like they do on a native android device and the stock holders would obviously reject a lowball deal if the stock is at 12? 15? 17? dollars after such an announcement. Select BlackBerry employees are now internally testing it. He?s not mistaken. I have personally seen it running and I have a number of BlackBerry employees on my BBM who have told me about it.

Background

Michael Cowley on Twitter confirmed 10.2.1 is coming sooner than what the normal timeframe is and that?s because of them enabling Google Play and full runtime functionality. Furthermore when I talked to Brian Zubert about ways to fix the Google Maps API usage in Android apps so I could successfully port my banking application, he told me to wait because ?something big is coming that is right up your alley and to watch the BlackBerry blog? which translates to ?you wont need to remove Google Maps because soon your application will work without problem?
    bizzyqu likes this.
    11-08-13 09:47 PM
    Found this piece written by James Nieves over at Berryflow. Interesting even if it's still rumored but I say bring ittt!

"A thread live and kicking in CB Forums has brought fourth several arguments and would-be explanations behind BlackBerry and Google uniting ecosystems for BlackBerry World allowing full access of Android apps within BlackBerry World. Could this deal potentially make money for Google while allowing BlackBerry to solve it?s biggest problem, apps? Sporting a 4.2.2 Android Jelly Bean runtime on BlackBerry 10.2, I speculatedback in May BlackBerry was working to amass an app catalog of up to 1 millionand take the fight directly to Apple and Samsung.

And I wasn?t taking out of THIN AIRJefferies in a research report made such claims:

?The Blackberry 10 has got the support from a private company, which will allow the whole Android catalog to be ported on BB10 devices, and the user will feel that the whole catalog is native and has not been ported. The company will provide the solution that will be a link between BB10 and Android ecosystem of more than 700,000 touch enabled apps?

Within the latest forums comes an interesting reasoning behind all the subterfuge:

CatlinFD

?Actually you?re incorrect and I can confirm the legitimacy of the OP and I?m not associated with the OP. I don?t even know who the OP is or his friend.The runtime has been released in BB World so that BlackBerry can now update the runtime outside of carrier?s control to enable access to Google Play and whatnot when this hits. It?s not a minor update, there is more to come.

Google and BlackBerry has recently entered an agreement to bypass the Open Alliance relationship so that BlackBerry can deploy Google Play onto BlackBerry 10 as well as enable the currently disabled Google Services Framework (GSF) embedded into the runtime. Meaning not only in the future will users be able to download apps directly from Google Play on device, every single native functionality will be available for use. In plain English, every single Android application will work without the need to sideload, without the need for a debug token or any form of method to enable functionality to work. But you?ll need to be on a 10.2.1 build or higher?

Technicality

All native functionality of Android is fully in the runtime right now. It?s just disabled or blacklisted by BlackBerry. It?s not difficult to reenable and now they have full permission to. This is the reason the leaked 10.2.1 builds have ceased. Current builds and radios are currently PIN-Locked meaning if you try to load them onto your device without your PIN being whitelisted, your device will brick. In the higher 10.2.1 builds the new functionality has been added in so users now have access to Google Play and a new runtime that unleashes the potential of Android apps. As far as I am aware, widgets and other applications will continue to not be able to work but applications such as Google Maps will have full access to GSF and other frameworks required for the application to function at 100%. They have curbed the leaks with the intention to hide the fact this is forthcoming.

Testimonial

The explanation for hiding it is the sale of the company, fixing the app ecosystem would obviously cause the stocks to raise when BB10 users could download thousands upon thousands of more applications where they work exactly like they do on a native android device and the stock holders would obviously reject a lowball deal if the stock is at 12? 15? 17? dollars after such an announcement. Select BlackBerry employees are now internally testing it. He?s not mistaken. I have personally seen it running and I have a number of BlackBerry employees on my BBM who have told me about it.

Background

Michael Cowley on Twitter confirmed 10.2.1 is coming sooner than what the normal timeframe is and that?s because of them enabling Google Play and full runtime functionality. Furthermore when I talked to Brian Zubert about ways to fix the Google Maps API usage in Android apps so I could successfully port my banking application, he told me to wait because ?something big is coming that is right up your alley and to watch the BlackBerry blog? which translates to ?you wont need to remove Google Maps because soon your application will work without problem?
    Interesting. But didn't know about the bricking if you're not whitelisted.

Interested conspiracy and makes sense

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 09:54 PM
    These will still need to be opened in some kind of android player. Android apps mostly require a physical back button, which will have to be forced by the pinning of a bar or the diagonal swipe back from the current run time. It would not be able to run it straight up from Play because you wouldn't be able to go back in apps without an added software "back" method.
    11-08-13 10:01 PM
    These will still need to be opened in some kind of android player. Android apps mostly require a physical back button, which will have to be forced by the pinning of a bar or the diagonal swipe back from the current run time. It would not be able to run it straight up from Play because you wouldn't be able to go back in apps without an added software "back" method.
    so?
    11-08-13 10:06 PM
    Is that something that can be baked into the OS to recognize this requirement within the app an have the bar pinned when needed?

Still having a hard to believing this but I guess it can't hurt to wish for it.

CB10'n it via da Z
    00stryder likes this.
    11-08-13 10:08 PM
    so?
    I said all I want to say. Not sure what you are attempting here. It seems you think there is more to be said. I just made an observation that apps will not be able to run 100% naturally from Play. There will be a requirement for a forced software implementation of the "back button". That's all...
    11-08-13 10:13 PM
    Is that something that can be baked into the OS to recognize this requirement within the app an have the bar pinned when needed?

Still having a hard to believing this but I guess it can't hurt to wish for it.

CB10'n it via da Z
    Well it's baked into the OS right now in the form of the Android player. The way I see it, most apps will still "look" and feel like a port with the generic bar (or swipe back) but with hopefully less bugs somehow
    11-08-13 10:16 PM
    I said all I want to say. Not sure what you are attempting here. It seems you think there is more to be said. I just made an observation that apps will not be able to run 100% naturally from Play. There will be a requirement for a forced software implementation of the "back button". That's all...
    I guess to me that was just a given so I wasn't sure what you were getting at. I don't think the addition of the back button affects the app as much as it is just overlayed over the android environment and doesn't materially affect the app itself but more so how commands are inputted.
    00stryder likes this.
    11-08-13 10:18 PM
    I guess to me that was just a given so I wasn't sure what you were getting at. I don't think the addition of the back button affects the app as much as it is just overlayed over the android environment and doesn't materially affect the app itself but more so how commands are inputted.
    You must not have a Q10. The bar is a lot of real estate to have there for every app on that phone. So it materially effects the quality of the app user experience. The other option is swipe back that many don't like. I don't think everyone took it as a given. I think naturally some imagined the downloading of apps on Google Play to appear and function the exact same as on an Android device.
    11-08-13 10:22 PM
    You must not have a Q10. The bar is a lot of real estate to have there for every app on that phone. So it materially effects the quality of the app user experience. The other option is swipe back that many don't like. I don't think everyone took it as a given. I think naturally some imagined the downloading of apps on Google Play to appear and function the exact same as on an Android device.
    good point about the q10. I do have a z10 so it never really bothered me however I never really use the back button. I prefer the diagonal swipe, but hopefully they could apply something more intuitive (I know I really wont mind having a lower bar on even bigger phones like the Z30).
    11-08-13 10:26 PM
    Huge part. When people ask me what phone to get if they currently have an iPhone or DROID I don't want to tell them bb10 then they will start asking me whee such and such app is. Not worth the headache. Let's face it people want apps

Posted via CB10 on my z30
    Yep, people often ask me how I like the phone (after teasing me about getting it). I usually say "I like it but I can't recommend you get it because I know you'd hate it since you'd be missing apps."

If they had almost full app coverage, I would recommend it like crazy ESPECIALLY if they can pick up a Z10 for that cheap.
    11-08-13 10:27 PM
    Wait but the back button can be removed so?
    11-08-13 10:29 PM
    Supposedly anyone who has access to this has their PIN whitelisted so technically, the PINs would not be visible, right?

Interesting for sure.
    Read that if your phone is not white listed, your phone bricks.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 10:32 PM
    Don't have to believe it. BUT Wigley just confirmed its true in the leaks waiting room

http://forums.crackberry.com/bb10-le...7/index19.html
    Yeah, saw that but!But! BlackBerry and Android apps? Humm

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 10:45 PM
    One serious question : What would happen to BLACKBERRY WORLD once google play becomes available to everyone ?? I think it is a totally wrong move by RIM to allow Google Play store on BB10 . Instead they can just make android sideloading easier without conversion ( ie with the apk directly ) .
    With the introduction of Play Store in BB10 , I am sure even the "BUILT FOR BB10" developers will start ignoring BB10 . And also we are compromising the security of the whole BB10 ecosystem because Google Play is filled with malware and unlike BB World , it is un-moderated .
    So basically it looks like blackberry is nailing its own coffin .
    11-08-13 11:14 PM
    Merge, integrate. Bring in windows phones too. Goodbye Apple.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 11:35 PM
    change the title. should be "Pic of a Z10 after someone wiped their arse with it"
    wizkid313 likes this.
    11-08-13 11:54 PM
    If this becomes true, BlackBerry's chance of coming back will become realer than ever.
    11-09-13 12:05 AM
    change the title. should be "Pic of a Z10 after someone wiped their arse with it"
    fair
    11-09-13 12:14 AM
    Play store means Google login api, which means things like Google +, Gmail, maps will all allow you to login, that would be huge and the port barrier would be totally removed. I don't agree with some people saying "goodbye apple " because that's ridiculous. I do think it could remove the app issue entirely though.
    11-09-13 12:32 AM
    One serious question : What would happen to BLACKBERRY WORLD once google play becomes available to everyone ?? I think it is a totally wrong move by RIM to allow Google Play store on BB10 . Instead they can just make android sideloading easier without conversion ( ie with the apk directly ) .
    With the introduction of Play Store in BB10 , I am sure even the "BUILT FOR BB10" developers will start ignoring BB10 . And also we are compromising the security of the whole BB10 ecosystem because Google Play is filled with malware and unlike BB World , it is un-moderated .
    So basically it looks like blackberry is nailing its own coffin .
    Well, my thoughts are:

1) Android apps will likely be only allowed on the personal side of the device. So, BBW would still be available to the enterprise side.

2) Cascades apps would always run better than the Android apps. I think from a performance issue, people will still go download native ones. Obviously, it discourages the big app makers from developing for BB10 only, but at least it closes the app gap.

3) I don't think BB is nailing its own coffin by allowing Google Play onto BB10. Who knows what BB will end up doing, but one thing for sure is that the app gap and ecosystem play is really destroying BB's ability to sell in the consumer space. If they can join onto Google's platform, then it would just be like Samsung, LG, or HTC (but with the added bonus of BB10, security, etc.).
    11-09-13 12:43 AM
    I wonder how many Google Apps scale to 720 x 720. I know that all BB10 apps don't.

Posted by twiddling my thumbs on my Qued10 in CB10
    11-09-13 01:28 AM
    This seems fake, but if it is actually real, it would be very good for BlackBerry. Like it was good for B&N when they did the same thing.
    11-09-13 01:29 AM
263 ... 34567 ...