12-02-13 05:19 AM
46 12
tools
    Well thank you Thor for bringing BB10 to me, and the Z10 and the Z30. They are great phones and I say thank you to you.

Posted via CB10
    11-15-13 10:45 PM
    Great well written article. Thanks for sharing.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    11-16-13 07:49 AM
    I'm excited to see what Chen will do, seems like BBRY's last shot to survive!

Posted via CB10
    11-17-13 08:52 PM
    If there is one guy who can turn it around its Chan

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 07:35 AM
    If there is one guy who can turn it around its Chan

Posted via CB10
    Such an expert on the guy, but you can't spell his name correctly.
    notfanboy likes this.
    11-18-13 09:15 AM
    John Chen is one of few who appears capable of steering Blackberry out of a nosedive.

Thorsten did a good job at cost cutting and letting go of drift wood, but made too many fatal flaws which has put Blackberry further in the hole. $1 billion dollars worth of unsold inventory?, primarily the z10, that is a foolish mistake down to poor forecasting and predictions. That excess stock should be shipped to Africa and the other developing markets which actually have Blackberry customers.

I believe John Chen will continue to trim drift wood and slim down the hardware business. I hope he utilizes his reach within Asia which has massive potential for Blackberry.

Whether he can take Blackberry to a profit will be interesting over the next 1-2 years.

Regardless of his compensation package, I don't think a man like him would put his reputation on the line if he wasn't capable.
    He appears the sort of person who values his reputation more then just money.

If he cannot do it, then sadly I don't think anyone else can. This is the last roll of the dice.
    What would excessive stock of Z10's going to Africa do for BB? Even at $300 a non-BIS Z10 is an expensive product in Africa, and BIS is the reason that so many markets found BlackBerry appealing on early networks. Why not just stop production of Z10's and sell the surplus inventory in existing channels?

And his being Asian is not going to relate to BlackBerry being able to crack the Asian market - which seems to be saturated with cheap devices that can still do what people need. Do not see BlackBerry being able to compete with $100 smartphones you buy out of a vending machine.

As for Mr Chen "experience".... didn't see in the article exactly how his 10 years of turning around Sybase is going to relate to making BlackBerry profitable in 1 - 2 years.

I'm glad that BlackBerry is staying BlackBerry and the PW didn't get his way (if he had any real intentions of going private). But I want to see some results before I get a warm and fuzzy feeling form Mr. Chen.
    notfanboy likes this.
    11-18-13 10:08 AM
    What would excessive stock of Z10's going to Africa do for BB? Even at $300 a non-BIS Z10 is an expensive product in Africa, and BIS is the reason that so many markets found BlackBerry appealing on early networks. Why not just stop production of Z10's and sell the surplus inventory in existing channels?

And his being Asian is not going to relate to BlackBerry being able to crack the Asian market - which seems to be saturated with cheap devices that can still do what people need. Do not see BlackBerry being able to compete with $100 smartphones you buy out of a vending machine.

As for Mr Chen "experience".... didn't see in the article exactly how his 10 years of turning around Sybase is going to relate to making BlackBerry profitable in 1 - 2 years.

I'm glad that BlackBerry is staying BlackBerry and the PW didn't get his way (if he had any real intentions of going private). But I want to see some results before I get a warm and fuzzy feeling form Mr. Chen.
    Shipping the surplus stock to a region where Blackberry still some degree of sales flow, whether it be Africa or Australia makes sense rather then having them collect dust sitting in warehouses where the market has already proven: they are not interested in this device. Business wise it makes more sense to try and gain whatever little value is left from the devices rather then let them lose value as time goes on. It's my understanding production was already slimmed down prior to them even announcing the $1 billion dollar inventory write down, if they are still producing the Z10 then they must be crazy.

Asia's full of business people and a growing middle class. I wouldn't align Blackberry with competing with the low end market in Asia, that doesn't make sense. The Q10 was in strong demand upon it's availability in China and I don't believe the brand is as tarnished as it appears in other markets. Blackberry is still respected in Asia. Mr Chen's connections and in part being Asian may prove valuable assets should they try and make moves within Asia.

There are various articles about Mr Chen's experiences with Sybase and how he turned around the company, I would suggest you Google them.

I don't think he can do much worse then what Thorsten or boof head and he friend did when they were all "CEOs"
    11-22-13 06:35 AM
    I hope he can do the job competently rather than be some sort of messiah.
    Competence at this point doesn't seem enough. I needs me a messiah. A Steve Jobs figure.

Scratch that. Jesus. BlackBerry needs a Jesus where they're at right now. Walking across a sea of broken iPhones and Androids...*drool*

Posted via CB10
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    11-23-13 10:40 AM
    So thor was an avenger and now chen is a daredevil???
    Hahaha

Posted from a phone....
    11-23-13 12:39 PM
    Chen may be the savior. Too early for such things, though.
    True. While we all want it to happen, same thing was said about Thors. IMO, let's give it some time......first.
    11-23-13 01:01 PM
    Interesting article

Posted via CB10
    11-30-13 09:24 PM
    Oh my, so correct and yet so gracious. I wanted to correct the guy also, but didn't really know how to as politely. Kudos!

Posted by the inimitable Z10 handheld system
    11-30-13 11:26 PM
    So thor was an avenger and now chen is a daredevil???
    Hahaha

Posted from a phone....
    BlackBerry is trying to appeal to the Marvel Comics demographic.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    12-01-13 03:47 AM
    BlackBerry is trying to appeal to the Marvel Comics demographic.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    If that's the case ill take Alicia keys as black widow any day.

Posted from a phone....
    12-01-13 09:49 AM
    John Chen has a chance - the fact that we are all here is proof enough that BB is not dead. If you have a good product - which BB10 is turning into - you always have a chance. Just think about every other turnaround story. One key for me, though is Marketing. Real marketing.

Who is the target market?
    What is the differentiator to that target?
    How do you get your value proposition in front of them?
    How will Blackberry turn around the wave of negative sentiment on the Brand?

We all have lots of ideas - but John has to make it happen. He needs to build a real executive team and really understand what his desired customers want - and get it to them!
    12-01-13 10:01 AM
    Yes it was Thor until he became a Thorn in everyone's side.

LOL

BlackBerry Z...my weapon of choice.
    Nonsense, he was not a bad CEO and I don't think it's fair to say that. He did what he was good at and succeeded. He cut unnecessary expenses and is the reason BlackBerry has as much money as it has right now

Posted with my Q10!
    12-01-13 10:20 AM
    I'm excited to see what Chen will do, seems like BBRY's last shot to survive!

Posted via CB10
    It's been the last shot for years. I doubt this is the "last shot"

Posted with my Q10!
    12-01-13 10:23 AM
    BlackBerry let's keep drinking our last shots until everyone gets drunk.

Whatever, I just wanna keep using my BlackBerry z10.

Posted via CB10
    12-01-13 10:31 AM
    He did what he was good at and succeeded. He cut unnecessary expenses and is the reason BlackBerry has as much money as it has right now

Posted with my Q10!
    Point 1. Anyone of us could have slashed the workforce with or without any management experience and without the excessive pay packet.

Point 2. The money which BlackBerry is using to operate at this moment is the USD1 billion debt instrument orchestrated by Prem Watsa in cahoots with former BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins and the other members of the BlackBerry Board of Directors.

Point 3. You are probably a sycophant investor-type only concerned with shareholder value rather than the health of the company which includes its workforce. As an example the technical support staff were likely hired as demand for support increased. The outsourcing of technical support began prior to Thorsten's Reign of Terror; in the interest of the pursuit of truth. The remainder of the technical support staff have received their notices of termination and offices are shutting down. By 31 January 2014 we have no idea whether BlackBerry intends to have all technical support outsourced with the exception of a small cadre designated solely for "high value" accounts such as governments.
    12-01-13 05:24 PM
    Point 1. Anyone of us could have slashed the workforce with or without any management experience and without the excessive pay packet.

Point 2. The money which BlackBerry is using to operate at this moment is the USD1 billion debt instrument orchestrated by Prem Watsa in cahoots with former BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins and the other members of the BlackBerry Board of Directors.

Point 3. You are probably a sycophant investor-type only concerned with shareholder value rather than the health of the company which includes its workforce. As an example the technical support staff were likely hired as demand for support increased. The outsourcing of technical support began prior to Thorsten's Reign of Terror; in the interest of the pursuit of truth. The remainder of the technical support staff have received their notices of termination and offices are shutting down. By 31 January 2014 we have no idea whether BlackBerry intends to have all technical support outsourced with the exception of a small cadre designated solely for "high value" accounts such as governments.
    Your first point is wrong. Your second point shows me that you misunderstood my point. Your third point assumption is false and while extremely unfortunate, is sometimes a requirement for companies to stay afloat

Posted with my Q10!
    12-02-13 12:56 AM
    I'm waiting and watching !

I always love the underdog .
    12-02-13 05:19 AM
46 12