When the interview moved on to the topic of BlackBerry, the former Apple CEO said he is "absolutely convinced" the firm can survive -- a view that BlackBerry is trying to promote. Sculley said:

"The challenge is you can't sell a phone for $700 in most of the world, so there has to be some real rationalization on the device side of the business. If you can strategically separate the device side of the business, it can be under the same ownership, but operationally separate from the enterprise service business, there's a terrific chance to turn BlackBerry around."

Former Apple CEO: Tim Cook 'doing a terrific job'
    10-08-13 09:14 AM
    When the interview moved on to the topic of BlackBerry, the former Apple CEO said he is "absolutely convinced" the firm can survive -- a view that BlackBerry is trying to promote. Sculley said:

"The challenge is you can't sell a phone for $700 in most of the world, so there has to be some real rationalization on the device side of the business. If you can strategically separate the device side of the business, it can be under the same ownership, but operationally separate from the enterprise service business, there's a terrific chance to turn BlackBerry around."

Personally, I look forward to what's going to happen with the company once known as "Research In Motion". Some never stopped to rationalize what the words meant at one time. Hopfully, BlackBerry will remember, too. Time will answer all questions.
    jay_men likes this.
    10-08-13 09:27 AM
    I do think that BlackBerry could survive... but it would mean a massive change in corporate culture, starting with the homegrown CEO.

But I think it will take a lot of additional resources from the new "owners" and a great amount of risk. Doesn't sound like Fairfax is going to have any money left to invest in rebuilding BB.....
    FSeverino likes this.
    10-08-13 09:38 AM
    I have to say when I read the title I really really hoped to open this thread and find a Steve Jobs quote on BlackBerry from beyond the grave...

Now I am disappointed

Posted via CB10
    midnightdoom likes this.
    10-08-13 11:08 AM
    I have to say when I read the title I really really hoped to open this thread and find a Steve Jobs quote on BlackBerry from beyond the grave...

Now I am disappointed

Posted via CB10
    Hahah, sorry to disappoint you sir.
    10-08-13 11:37 AM
    Is that why he is "Former Apple CEO" ?

BB will not survive the way it is now unless it is bought and all the executive staff fired.
    Split the company, sell off QNX, the hardware division and everything else.
    Blackberry should only be an enterprise software company providing solutions to corporation seeking mobile management and security.
    10-08-13 02:56 PM
    I do think that BlackBerry could survive... but it would mean a massive change in corporate culture, starting with the homegrown CEO.

But I think it will take a lot of additional resources from the new "owners" and a great amount of risk. Doesn't sound like Fairfax is going to have any money left to invest in rebuilding BB.....
    If you're talking about Heins, he's German originally. Just recently got his Canadian citizenship (Spring?).
    10-08-13 02:58 PM

BB will not survive the way it is now unless it is bought and all the executive staff fired.
    Blackberry should only be an enterprise software company providing solutions to corporation seeking mobile management and security.
    Business guru here guys!!!

Posted Via CB10 On The Brother Of Future Z30
    10-08-13 03:06 PM
    Why are you guys saying former CEO? Tim Cook is the CEO of Apple.....
    The person quoted in the article is John Sculley, not Tim Cook.
    10-08-13 03:10 PM
    The person quoted in the article is John Sculley, not Tim Cook.
    He almost ruined Apple. Great pedigree. While I agree with him, I would not quote him.
    10-08-13 05:25 PM
    Of course BBRY can survive. Changes will have to be made, yes, and it is going to be pretty hard, but I think it can transition. I have no idea of what form though.
    10-08-13 05:28 PM

You consider that surviving?
    10-08-13 05:33 PM
    Blackberry still has room for survival.

#IChooseBlackberr10
    10-08-13 05:39 PM
    He was actually on BNN last week stating the same (around 4:00 min mark or slightly after):
    Former Apple CEO John Sculley On The "Get Gates Out" Movement [10-02-13 5:00 PM] - BNN Mobile Live

However, he is also involved with OpenPeak. The company has a licencing agreement with Blackberry (secured containers for Android and iOS).
    xBURK and app_Developer like this.
    10-08-13 10:08 PM

Now I am disappointed

Posted via CB10
    Halloween is just around the corner...

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 10:51 AM

FULL INTERVIEW on VIDEO: Apple's future bright under Cook's leadership: Former CEO
    10-09-13 03:46 PM
    I hope they eventually realize that if the public believes they can't compete in features then mayb they should try to compete on price. They don't have the brand power they used to but they seem to ignore that. Get people on board with lower price points and get the awareness up, then they can start to target them margins they desire...

Posted via CB10
    10-09-13 07:56 PM
    If you're talking about Heins, he's German originally. Just recently got his Canadian citizenship (Spring?).
    I wonder what his next nationality will be.
    10-09-13 09:28 PM
    Wasn't Sculley the guy that Job's threw to the kerb? He's a paid talking head now.
    10-09-13 09:31 PM
    Wasn't Sculley the guy that Job's threw to the kerb? He's a paid talking head now.
    No. Gil Amelio.
    10-09-13 09:36 PM
    No. Gil Amelio.
    Exactly. In fact, you could say that Sculley's presence allowed the Apple board to throw Jobs to the curb back in the 80s.
    10-10-13 08:53 AM
    Exactly. In fact, you could say that Sculley's presence allowed the Apple board to throw Jobs to the curb back in the 80s.
    It's funny to see the similarities with how it went down with BlackBerry ex-CEOs ML & JB. What if they come back in some capacity to whatever's left of the company later on? I would like to think they're more humbled now by their failings. Yes they blew it after all was said and done but not many people can say they made a company into a multi-billion dollar. corporations.
    10-10-13 09:55 AM
    Business guru here guys!!!

Posted Via CB10 On The Brother Of Future Z30
    Not a business guru, it's common sense!
    BlackBerry considering breakup if Fairfax doesn't pull through | CrackBerry.com
    10-10-13 12:56 PM
    Yes -- well, I recall essentially Jobs got isolated away from the company's primary product focus. So he left. But yeah the same effect.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.0.1767
    10-14-13 12:45 AM
    I wonder if android or windows mobile or ios has security at enterprise level? no they are mostly busy on other fields. I m not against any os. however no one is working on enterprise level security. I think they dont want blackberry to cover all os and phones under one umbrella. they dont want a central security company gaining all the profit. and they cant just say no because rim is the best at its job.

Posted via CB10
    jay_men likes this.
    10-14-13 12:52 AM