12-17-14 05:13 PM
41 12
tools
    Car makers would probably not want BlackBerry branding in their new cars. It's a tarnished name and it might give buyers the wrong impression that the infotainment system is only compatible with BlackBerry phones. QNX on the other hand is not a tarnished name, and actually sounds kind of cool. RIM should have changed its name to QNX, not BlackBerry. They should have used the name BlackBerry only in relation to handsets. People don't want a BlackBerry powered car stereo, but a QNX powered stereo, that sounds good.
    Good points, a QNX badge however would provide brand recognition to something nobody knows/ cares about...

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 11:07 AM
    I am working with a guy that has designed UIs for several car companies. I was surprised how much there is to know, how many degrees of visual acuity we have, stuff like that. He requires the companies to test/survey his preliminary work so they never move forward without some evidence he is on the right track.

All QNX has to do is sincerely desire the customer be successful and they are already a step ahead of Microsoft.
    12-12-14 11:09 AM
    Car makers would probably not want BlackBerry branding in their new cars. It's a tarnished name and it might give buyers the wrong impression that the infotainment system is only compatible with BlackBerry phones. QNX on the other hand is not a tarnished name, and actually sounds kind of cool. RIM should have changed its name to QNX, not BlackBerry. They should have used the name BlackBerry only in relation to handsets. People don't want a BlackBerry powered car stereo, but a QNX powered stereo, that sounds good.
    Doesn't really matter if the branding says BlackBerry as long as it performs well. The reality, however, is that the car manufacturer will not want any recognizable mobile device brand fixed onto the dash,.. as it will create the wrong knee-jerk impression that "since they don't use an iPhone/Android/BlackBerry, they shouldn't buy the $40,000 car".

QNX branding, on the other hand, is not really associated by most with one device in particular. So a buyer will likely have to search for it online, and find mostly solid information regarding its reliability and wide industry adoption.

I don't mind the little "Powered by Microsoft" badge on my ford focus,.. maybe they'll incorporate something similar with QNX.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 11:22 AM
    Doesn't really matter if the branding says BlackBerry as long as it performs well. The reality, however, is that the car manufacturer will not want any recognizable mobile device brand fixed onto the dash,.. as it will create the wrong knee-jerk impression that "since they don't use an iPhone/Android/BlackBerry, they shouldn't buy the $40,000 car".

QNX branding, on the other hand, is not really associated by most with one device in particular. So a buyer will likely have to search for it online, and find mostly solid information regarding its reliability and wide industry adoption.

I don't mind the little "Powered by Microsoft" badge on my ford focus,.. maybe they'll incorporate something similar with QNX.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed. A "powered by QNX" badge would be perfect and would start the process of building the brand with general consumers.
    12-12-14 12:02 PM
    12-12-14 12:03 PM
    Also, CarPlay looks more like an app that opens on top of the regular UI, on this screen shot of the mercedes it seems to only have multimedia shortcuts and phone/message shortcuts... lacking climate controls, settings, etc... does anyone know more about CarPlay and can speak to this point?
    Posted via CB10
    Yes CarPlay doesn't now have the ability for climate controls because as previously stated its more of a screen mirror ala AirPlay, there is no deep integration into existing auto infotainment systems. You can control the Carplay apps via existing vehicle controls but everything is done on the phone. Apple did not want to be held hostage to auto manufacturers update schedule for Carplay so they made the underlying system QNX et tal as 'dumb' as possible in the way it interacts with the i-Device so its just a command translator.
    12-12-14 01:35 PM
    Yes CarPlay doesn't now have the ability for climate controls because as previously stated its more of a screen mirror ala AirPlay, there is no deep integration into existing auto infotainment systems. You can control the Carplay apps via existing vehicle controls but everything is done on the phone. Apple did not want to be held hostage to auto manufacturers update schedule for Carplay so they made the underlying system QNX et tal as 'dumb' as possible in the way it interacts with the i-Device so its just a command translator.
    Ok so it works like the uplink system in other models to allow control of apps on the phone through the car but specific to iDevices and specific Apple apps... if im understanding this correctly?

Well than what is all the hooplah about than?? Sounds like a fancy app to me... a step beyond pressing next song button on the dash and sending the signal to the phone over bluetooth but ONLY for iDevices... this is not anything special or cutting edge

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 01:48 PM
    Sounds like a fancy app to me... a step beyond pressing next song button on the dash and sending the signal to the phone over bluetooth but ONLY for iDevices... this is not anything special or cutting edge
    Except that CarPlay runs native and 3rd party iPhone apps that have a dash UI.

I'm guessing that the reason the new Ford system is called "Sync 3" is that Ford wants its customers to think of it as Ford product - not QNX or Blackberry. However CarPlay will probably have Apple branding because that actually attracts consumers.
    12-12-14 01:53 PM
    Ok so it works like the uplink system in other models to allow control of apps on the phone through the car but specific to iDevices and specific Apple apps... if im understanding this correctly?

Well than what is all the hooplah about than?? Sounds like a fancy app to me... a step beyond pressing next song button on the dash and sending the signal to the phone over bluetooth but ONLY for iDevices... this is not anything special or cutting edge

Posted via CB10
    Eventually if car makers wanted they could put up Carplay apps to control vehicle functions via Bluetooth, there are of course security concerns of doing that wireless. Perhaps when Apple NFC function goes beyond that of ApplePay that could happen. Google Auto is going the Carplay route as well but as I understand it the goal is to eventually be the in-car UI so you won't need a Google device to control things.
    12-12-14 01:55 PM
    Except that CarPlay runs native and 3rd party iPhone apps that have a dash UI.
    So does uplink, if by native you mean text, phone, phonebook, etc... and it can still hook to phone 3rd party apps link pandora that have dash board counter parts all without using CarPlay.. only advantage I see is you can hook to native apple apps like iMessage... but for anyone else who doesnt use an iPhone, thats kind of irrelevant

I think a good business move in the right direction is to stay understated like QNX is doing, slowly get 80%+ market share in infotainment than once you have auto makers by the metaphorical B***s THAN brand it, force them to do what you want

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 06:35 PM
    Eventually if car makers wanted they could put up Carplay apps to control vehicle functions via Bluetooth, there are of course security concerns of doing that wireless. Perhaps when Apple NFC function goes beyond that of ApplePay that could happen. Google Auto is going the Carplay route as well but as I understand it the goal is to eventually be the in-car UI so you won't need a Google device to control things.
    I think the new QNX demo car the Mercedes CLA is doing things right, just do a mirror link of the phone on the dash... no separate apps on phone and car.. use the phone to process everything, any app the phone has you can control with the touch screen on the dash, easy peezy

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 06:38 PM
    I think the new QNX demo car the Mercedes CLA is doing things right, just do a mirror link of the phone on the dash... no separate apps on phone and car.. use the phone to process everything, any app the phone has you can control with the touch screen on the dash, easy peezy

Posted via CB10
    Too bad BB10 doesn't support Mirrorlink yet.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 06:41 PM
    I noticed that as well. I also noticed that he had IPhone list as a paired device.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 08:36 PM
    This actually ensures that Apple and Google will have plenty of access to the dash UI. The apps will be developed for the smartphone, using smartphone connectivity and features, and the UI will be displayed on the dash. Media, messages, maps, voice recognition etc. will be controlled by the smartphone. If the user is using Siri to give commands then I'm pretty sure it will be an Apple experience and have little to do with Blackberry.
    12-12-14 09:54 PM
    Nice that they chose QNX. I wish the UI looked better though, seems very understated and plain.
    I don't think so, I think its nice and clean. What do you want, Samsung-Android confusing?
    12-15-14 10:46 PM
    I don't think so, I think its nice and clean. What do you want, Samsung-Android confusing?
    Obviously, I don't want it to be confusing, but plain white buttons with no transparency, it just looks too plain and bright to me. UI wise it almost looks like a step back to the original Sync.

I like a dark theme. Someone already posted other examples like Uconnect that look much better. That's my opinion and it's based on my preferences.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 05:13 PM
41 12