12-17-14 04:13 PM
41 12
tools
    Just in:

Ford Ditches Microsoft For QNX In Latest In-Vehicle Tech Platform | TechCrunch

Fords Sync 3 drops Microsoft, but can it fix the connected car? | The Verge

Underneath, Sync 3 is running new, BlackBerry QNX-based software that's a total departure from the work Ford and Microsoft had done together previously. That relationship is over, and Nair described this as "pretty much an all new platform." Theres also faster TI hardware powering the system along. "We benchmarked smartphone and tablet response times, and made sure we had the hardware capability to deliver on those type of customer expectations," Nair said.
    12-11-14 11:05 AM
    Nice

Blackberry Passport running 10.3.1.1151
    12-11-14 11:19 AM
    Couple of images available in Engadget article
    http://www.engadget.com/2014/12/11/ford-sync-3/

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 11:49 AM
    Nice that they chose QNX. I wish the UI looked better though, seems very understated and plain.
    12-11-14 01:03 PM
    Finally! Ford Sync was terrible, I have never used anything so bad, glitchy, and slow and with so many stupid problems. Congrats on QNX team for nailing down this large, mainstream company (for NA anyway)

BB for Life
    12-11-14 01:29 PM
    Thanks for the links! Notice how they don't mention BlackBerry.
    12-11-14 01:56 PM
    QNX is rarely noticed on the user level so for branding purposes no one hears about it. Mercedes needs to come out with the QNX Car 2.0 they keep demoing then consumers will start to know about QNX.
    12-11-14 02:11 PM
    Oh they did...

Link from CNET : http://www.cnet.com/news/ford-sync-3-announced/

Posted via CB10
    Septembersrain likes this.
    12-11-14 03:41 PM
    And it's official now... should no longer be in rumours...

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 03:42 PM
    QNX is rarely noticed on the user level so for branding purposes no one hears about it. Mercedes needs to come out with the QNX Car 2.0 they keep demoing then consumers will start to know about QNX.
    I taught Mercedes had announced they were going with Apple's CarPlay?

They may still have QNX doing the heavy lifting, but I think CarPlay will be what the user will "see".
    bakron1 likes this.
    12-11-14 03:43 PM
    Sorry I was referring to the first article above.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 03:43 PM
    CarPlay run over QNX.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 03:46 PM

They may still have QNX doing the heavy lifting, but I think CarPlay will be what the user will "see".
    They are a Carplay partner but it doesn't mean the demo car features/UI can't make it into production. Carplay is basically an interactive screen mirror of the I-device. So its compatible with what whatever underlying systems that can use its APIs.

The fact that Mercedes as been mum on announcements isn't encouraging however.
    12-11-14 04:00 PM
    Pretty good news coverage of the announcement:

Ford ditches Microsoft for its in-car software

Excerpt 1:

Now Ford is hitting the reset button for latest version, Sync 3, working with QNX, a Canadian software firm with deep roots in the automotive business and, coincidentally, owned by Blackberry, the company that originally spawned the smartphone revolution.

Excerpt 2:

So will the Ford deal resuscitate Blackberry? QNX already has embedded software in millions of vehicles, but this is a major win for the firm. (QNX has also helped with positively reviewed connected car systems like Uconnect in Chrysler and Dodge vehicles). But the days when "Crackberry" was a common colloquialism are long gone. Even Ford with its new QNX-based Sync 3 system will not (initially at least) support Blackberry apps in the dash. On the other hand, it won't be supporting Windows Phone apps either.
    12-11-14 06:31 PM
    The UI is dictated by the automaker, and they have to keep it simple so a driver can use it while driving without putting any real focus on it.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-11-14 07:41 PM
    My next car may be a Ford

Posted via CB10 on my Awesome BlackBerry Passport
    12-11-14 07:47 PM
    I wonder if they'll make some sort of dealer-install upgrade kit available. Dammit.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-14 08:10 PM

Exactly, the average consumer will only see that it's supports their Apple iPhone and think it was another genuine idea by them.

Not knowing the software that supports it was developed by BlackBerry. This is where the lack or non existent marketing hurts the brand.
    12-12-14 04:33 AM
    Exactly, the average consumer will only see that it's supports their Apple iPhone and think it was another genuine idea by them.

Not knowing the software that supports it was developed by BlackBerry. This is where the lack or non existent marketing hurts the brand.
    Yes, it could be some easy advertising if they were only to but a QNX/ BlackBerry badge somewhere in the car or owners manual.. better than nothing at least

Posted via CB10
    12-12-14 05:52 AM
    Yes, it could be some easy advertising if they were only to but a QNX/ BlackBerry badge somewhere in the car or owners manual.. better than nothing at least

Posted via CB10
    Or even on the startup screen. Has QNX been able to negotiate this into other car systems they've done?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    12-12-14 06:00 AM
    12-12-14 06:14 AM
    You can tell the different manufactures design for the UI and how much time they spend customizing to make it their own.. some seem to do as little as change the colors, naming, and positioning of the same square buttons...

Ford Sync 3
    Ford's Sync 3 drops Microsoft for QNX-ford-sync-3-008.jpg

Chrysler UConnect
    Ford's Sync 3 drops Microsoft for QNX-chrysler-uconnect-access-ram-1500.jpg

Cadillac CUE
    Ford's Sync 3 drops Microsoft for QNX-cadillac_cue2-thumb-620x518-33649.jpg

Mercedes CarPlay
    Ford's Sync 3 drops Microsoft for QNX-apple-carplay-mercedes-benz-c-class.jpg

Audi MMI
    Ford's Sync 3 drops Microsoft for QNX-audi-infotainment-2-e1339713243784.jpg

BMW iDrive
    Ford's Sync 3 drops Microsoft for QNX-new-idrive.jpg

Chevrolet MyLink
    Attachment 320295

Chrysler UConnect I think is my favorite from all the infotainment UI's... they have the most consistent design on all screens, I think the best layout as well (keeping the buttons in the same place, allow you to jump to any screen from any screen, not having to hit "home" constantly)

Also, CarPlay looks more like an app that opens on top of the regular UI, on this screen shot of the mercedes it seems to only have multimedia shortcuts and phone/message shortcuts... lacking climate controls, settings, etc... does anyone know more about CarPlay and can speak to this point?
    Posted via CB10
    Rello likes this.
    12-12-14 07:07 AM
    Article didn't mention BlackBerry or QNX.... it made it seem that Sync 3 was fully a Ford product. Which is what the average consumer is going to assume.

This deal will help QNX grow their reputation as a leading supplier of the building blocks for automotive (and other embedded system) software. And will help QNX grow their business a few percentage points. But it isn't going to make BlackBerry or QNX a household (or car owner) name, and it isn't going to make the 100's of millions of dollars in additional profit.
    12-12-14 07:51 AM
    Article didn't mention BlackBerry or QNX.... it made it seem that Sync 3 was fully a Ford product. Which is what the average consumer is going to assume.

This deal will help QNX grow their reputation as a leading supplier of the building blocks for automotive (and other embedded system) software. And will help QNX grow their business a few percentage points. But it isn't going to make BlackBerry or QNX a household (or car owner) name, and it isn't going to make the 100's of millions of dollars in additional profit.
    I agree completely.

But... When someone makes fun of me for having a BlackBerry, at least point them to their infotainment system and say "so are you".
    potatoguy likes this.
    12-12-14 08:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    Car makers would probably not want BlackBerry branding in their new cars. It's a tarnished name and it might give buyers the wrong impression that the infotainment system is only compatible with BlackBerry phones. QNX on the other hand is not a tarnished name, and actually sounds kind of cool. RIM should have changed its name to QNX, not BlackBerry. They should have used the name BlackBerry only in relation to handsets. People don't want a BlackBerry powered car stereo, but a QNX powered stereo, that sounds good.
    app_Developer and mornhavon like this.
    12-12-14 09:56 AM
41 12