08-04-14 03:36 PM
145 1234 ...
tools
    My point exactly, the real story here is what MDM/EMM they will be using.

Posted via CB10
    Yes and that's the story that's never told. If Ford uses BES, BBRY will get paid for each device managed on the server, whether it's BlackBerry, Android, Windows, or Apple.

Plus, you're going to see this type of news happen a lot. Many companies were using BB7 devices. Those contracts are near the end and people will move to the iPhone or Android devices due to its app ability. BlackBerry knows this which is why you see PK devices a major focus right now - looking to replace the legacy Bold 9900 devices that are coming to an end.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 02:20 PM
    wasnt there some post about this a while back, about Ford switching from Microsoft and would start using QNX and a combination of Apple somehow.... but QNX (Which apple uses) was the base of the OS? I could look it up, but it doesn't matter.
    07-29-14 02:44 PM
    Wish they dug deeper into what they're using to manage them. That's more important to today's BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed, their MDM platform is far more interesting to me than the devices they're deploying.
    07-29-14 02:48 PM
    No tangible reason for the change...
    The reason for it is likely in the fact it was a change made by an outside consultant. More than likely they have some kind of iOS solution that they'll also be selling to Ford. It's the kind of tunnel vision decision that happens when you leave these kinds of infrastructure changes to a third party. They're going to have their best interests at heart more than yours.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 02:49 PM
    The reason for it is likely in the fact it was a change made by an outside consultant. More than likely they have some kind of iOS solution that they'll also be selling to Ford. It's the kind of tunnel vision decision that happens when you leave these kinds of infrastructure changes to a third party. They're going to have their best interests at heart more than yours.

Posted via CB10
    I seriously doubt that a corporation at the level and magnitude of Ford Motor Company outsourced their IT solution to a 3rd party consultant.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Bsbudd and mornhavon like this.
    07-29-14 03:03 PM
    A bad headline for readers to come upon for bb, nevertheless. I hope this wont be a continuing trend for them.
    07-29-14 03:22 PM

Our company did the same thing 2 years ago, albeit before the release of BB10, we all converted to apple. The "official" excuse was the cost of the BB enterprise setup, but I believe our senior VP's just thought the iphone was too cool to not get for free.
    In 2009 most of the top level execs at my company had already started using there own personal iPhones and gave there Blackberries back to IT. They just demanded Exchange access. Before long the cost of maintaining the Blackberry Servers was on the chopping block. We went briefly to choice between Android / Windows Mobile and got rid of Blackberries (BBOS). Then the cost of supplying and supporting phones was questioned. A year later we went all BYOD, with a monthly stipend, vast majority of employees went iPhone.
    07-29-14 03:44 PM
    Guys. Handsets are a small piece in enterprise. The managing server is what matters. BBRY makes almost double just on BES than if a company uses BBRY handsets. BBRY wants businesses to use their handsets for optimal compatibility but BES is setup to manage all device platforms efficiently and effectively. We all know that the handset game is tough to win. People want their iPhones.
    In regards to BES and IBM...

Last November IBM acquired Fiberlink, obtaining its MaaS360 cloud-based Mobile Device Management service and integrating into its product portfolio.

Bill Tworek, IBM's executive IT architect for CIO Office, noted that his group began "on-boarding devices on MaaS360 five days after the close of acquisition15,000 on the first day and over 30,000 in the first week," adding that "it took us less than 3 days to integrate MaaS360 into the IBM architecture and by moving from an on-premises model to a cloud model we'll save US $500,000."

Given that the majority of mobile device at IBM had been BlackBerry phones, that suggests a rapid migration from BES, an "on-premises" MDM that is not inexpensive to license and operate. That also underscores why BlackBerry's stock took such a hit when IBM and Apple announced their partnership.

This was from an IBM White Paper issued in March 2014

The IBM/Apple deal is bigger than it appears on the surface.
    Bsbudd likes this.
    07-29-14 03:53 PM
    This is proof in point that the majority of corporate phones are basically personal devices the company provides as a perk. Might take a call or two on or read an email but that's about all the work that gets done on it. Speaking from experience here

Posted via CB10
    Yeah but it allows the company to track the employee off hours...

Posted via CB10
    lactose likes this.
    07-29-14 03:56 PM
    In regards to BES and IBM...

Last November IBM acquired Fiberlink, obtaining its MaaS360 cloud-based Mobile Device Management service and integrating into its product portfolio.

Bill Tworek, IBM's executive IT architect for CIO Office, noted that his group began "on-boarding devices on MaaS360 five days after the close of acquisition—15,000 on the first day and over 30,000 in the first week," adding that "it took us less than 3 days to integrate MaaS360 into the IBM architecture and by moving from an on-premises model to a cloud model we'll save US $500,000."

Given that the majority of mobile device at IBM had been BlackBerry phones, that suggests a rapid migration from BES, an "on-premises" MDM that is not inexpensive to license and operate. That also underscores why BlackBerry's stock took such a hit when IBM and Apple announced their partnership.

This was from an IBM White Paper issued in March 2014

This, if it spreads to other companies becomes worrisome.
    07-29-14 04:00 PM
    And they will be back brfore they know it
    Before they know it? So Ford will return to BlackBerry but Ford won't know that they are back with BlackBerry until sometime later?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    m1a1mg likes this.
    07-29-14 04:02 PM
    Let's see if Ford offer feedback to the article stating they're actually not getting rid of Blackberry like they told the Press they weren't getting rid of Microsoft Sync for Blackberry QNX.. somehow I doubt it....
    07-29-14 04:02 PM
    Folks, as I have said in a few of my post. This is great for corporate America, the BYOD program is exactly what they wanted.

Why should they spend their hard earned capital on new devices when they can simply have their employees use their own personal phones and not have to spend a dime???

This is best profitable idea I have seen in a while and most of the employees are to stupid to figure it out.

Sent from my lovely z30 on T Mobile USA
    seluje, lactose, gokulesh and 2 others like this.
    07-29-14 04:05 PM
    Folks, as I have said in a few of my post. This is great for corporate America, the BYOD program is exactly what they wanted.

Why should they spend their hard earned capital on new devices when they can simply have their employees use their own personal devices???

This is best profitable idea I have seen in a while and most of the employees are too stupid to figure it out.

You are so right!
    07-29-14 04:07 PM
    You think security would be their #1 concern. Since they had the security issue not't too long ago

Be proud - BlackBerry by Choice
    As BlackBerry faithful everyone thinks that security should be everyone's number one concern because that's what BlackBerry has to offer. Unfortunately, security alone isn't enough. Companies are looking for the full package.

CDM76, mornhavon and BB_Junky like this.
    07-29-14 04:08 PM
    Let's see if Ford offer feedback to the article stating they're actually not getting rid of Blackberry like they told the Press they weren't getting rid of Microsoft Sync for Blackberry QNX.. somehow I doubt it....
    Huh? I don't understand your super long run-on sentence.

07-29-14 04:09 PM
    Agreed. It's makes Apple a major player in the enterprise sector. But, BES still owns this arena...for now. They are the hunted.

And BlackBerry isn't resting on being the most preferred solution with Apple in their rearview mirror. The battle hasn't even started yet and BBRY is already in the war fighting, which is good. If they could get past the popularity contest, they'll could distance themselves with BES12.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    07-29-14 04:10 PM
    Another one of Ford's "Better Ideas"... /snicker
    07-29-14 04:27 PM
    is it just me, or Ford said that they will replace FLIPPHONES with iphones?
    07-29-14 04:27 PM
    This is proof in point that the majority of corporate phones are basically personal devices the company provides as a perk. Might take a call or two on or read an email but that's about all the work that gets done on it. Speaking from experience here

Posted via CB10
    Yep, pretty sure that's exactly what the majority of company issued "business" phones are used for.
    07-29-14 04:33 PM

Why should they spend their hard earned capital on new devices when they can simply have their employees use their own personal phones and not have to spend a dime???

This is best profitable idea I have seen in a while and most of the employees are to stupid to figure it out.

I agree.
    My company (100k+ employees) is also adopting BYOD, but supports android/iphones only (duh, we usecytrix stuff).
    I still got my corporate BB, and top execs can chose - BB or own iphone...
    however, company pays just like 9 pounds a month for my BYOD device.

ffs - hell no - I'll stick to my corporate bb as long as I can why should I pay my money and allow company to track and contact me during my vocations, as well as pay for the device?
    no no no
    07-29-14 04:34 PM
    Who would want Fords secrets anyways?

"BB POWERED" C001C1D66
    07-29-14 04:35 PM
    Ford:
    Found
    On
    Road
    Deserted

Fix
    Or
    Repair
    Day

Found
    On
    Road
    Dead

Feel free to continue with the acronyms

Posted via CB10
    phuoc and xBURK like this.
    07-29-14 04:35 PM
    is it just me, or Ford said that they will replace FLIPPHONES with iphones?
    What do you think how Apple and Samsung got this big in terms of phones? Because smartphones were finally adopted by the regular consumer who replaced his flipphone with it.
    07-29-14 04:36 PM
    I always love the timing of these stories. BlackBerry announced its security conference a while back. Apple had plenty of time to come up with a competitive story to push BlackBerry announcements to the back of the news bus. You can bet Apple PR (which clearly is excellent and probably very well paid) had something to do with the timing/placement of this story. You can bet Ford didn't make this decision today but someone decided today was the day to either leak or announce it.

By the way, BlackBerry plays this game as well. Do you think the story about the German government buying more BlackBerry devices just simply appeared right before the security summit and BlackBerry announcing the purchase of that German company? Don't be naive if you think it was a coincidence.

Posted via CB10
    07-29-14 04:39 PM
145 1234 ...