06-12-14 05:51 PM
35 12
tools
    According to this article:

Samsung Reveals The Very first Tizen Phone

The UI looks great but there's no mention on an android runtime.

So they expect to build on eco system from scratch?

This is very interesting to me because here comes another OS thats's not owned by an silicon valley company. I wonder if it can take off?

If BlackBerry was too little too late, and the duopoly of iOS and android had reached full maturity and no way of breaching their market share what chance does Tizen have?

BlackBerry still haven't managed to get most of the big name devs on board do you guys think tizan can do it?

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?
    06-08-14 05:07 AM
    Samsung is in a much better position than BlackBerry, and will receive instant credibility from many consumers for whatever they release. Many consumers will not even be aware of a difference between Android and anything else Samsung puts out.

I don't know enough about Tizen yet to comment on app availability. Need to educate myself a bit more in it.
    06-08-14 05:28 AM
    Well there is one thing that Sammy has more than BlackBerry, money. They can literally throw money at devs to bring their apps to Tizen.

Posted via CB10
    gebco likes this.
    06-08-14 05:29 AM
    There's more muscle behind Tizen than there is behind BlackBerry, in fact some of the muscle behind Tizen is the same that's against BlackBerry (supposedly), such as certain carriers.

Samsung alone is enough, then you've got Intel, and many other deep pocketed investors.

I'm sure as Tizen reaches our shores their hardware without question will be top end and their fans won't be debating whether or not the screen should be 720 or 1080 because Samsung will shove a 4k 3d display inside along with every other bell and whistle available at the time.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 05:32 AM
    I think Tizen will do just fine and with the muscle from Samsung, Intel and other deep pocket investors, they will be a new force to be reckoned with.

Some of the Asian tech giants are getting tired of the stranglehold Google had placed on them and Tizen just may be the answer they are looking for and it will give them more control over their software and hardware integration.

With China opening up, creates allot of new and cheaper development sources where they can get the core apps built for nickels and dimes.

Granted they didn't build Rome in a day, I think Samsung is smart enough and has done their homework before hand and Tizen is here to stay.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-08-14 05:45 AM
    Nice

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 05:48 AM
    Tizen = Bada which is why they are launching in Russia in Q3 not some mature market. US carriers will be hesitant to carry Tizen phones no matter Samsung muscle.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    06-08-14 05:49 AM
    Tizen = Bada which is why they are launching in Russia in Q3 not some mature market. US carriers will be hesitant to carry Tizen phones no matter Samsung muscle.
    Yeap. I support competition so if BB10 doesnt do well in the end I know which OS im moving too after this.

I do not want to live in a world of iOSes and androids only.

I'll be so happy if samsung creates a great OS.

afhstingray likes this.
    06-08-14 06:22 AM
    Samsung Z... and "This first Tizen phone was supposed to make an appearance back in October, but the release was put on hold because Samsung's CEO wanted to get the device just right."

History has a funny way of repeating itself. Except, I'm sure Samsung knows how to market.

Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans and kbz1960 like this.
    06-08-14 07:47 AM
    Think of this: with Samsung using their own UI on their Android handsets, if they use a similar one on their Tizen phones will the average consumer even know the difference?

Samsung could load the phone up launchers for mobile websites and most people would think they're apps. The average consumer isn't that invested in their OS, they're invested in the add ons.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 07:59 AM
    Samsung has the advantage to fall back on android if things don't work out. They have the flexibility and deep pockets to create fringe devices while slowly building an app echo system while still offering best-selling android products. They just want a piece of the pie and who can blame them.

But blackberry better pay attention because although watering down the smart phone market with another OS is good news for BB, Tizen is samsungs QNX and they are looking to deliver beyond the reach of smartphones. If BB is credited with the invention of the smartphone, QNX could arguably be credited with the power behind every other device and currently QNX overwhelming leads that market which sounds all too familiar. BB has proven very effectively that being the first ones means nothing and underestimating a deep pocket underdog will bankrupt.
    Last edited by andrewwdouglas; 06-08-14 at 10:27 AM.
    06-08-14 09:34 AM
    To me this is exciting news but more so for the web apps (HTML5 apps) compatibility. I have also touched on the subject in another thread I started a few days ago: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=935724

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3175
    06-08-14 12:13 PM
    Ugly.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 12:27 PM
    To me this is exciting news but more so for the web apps (HTML5 apps) compatibility. I have also touched on the subject in another thread I started a few days ago: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=935724

Who isn't HTML5 Web compatible?

From everything I have seen, Samsung is counting on Android compatibility... just like BlackBerry did. They want Android Developer's to port their apps to Samsung store, supposedly a simple process.... sound familiar?

But Samsung is launching in a market where smartphones are still a new market and apps aren't as a mature. If it works and grows Great for them... if it flops they haven't bet the farm on it

Posted via Android CrackBerry App
    Mack Gans likes this.
    06-08-14 12:53 PM
    Looks like Z3

CB10 - Q5 -10.3.0.296/441 (radio)
    06-08-14 01:00 PM
    Who isn't HTML5 Web compatible?

From everything I have seen, Samsung is counting on Android compatibility... just like BlackBerry did. They want Android Developer's to port their apps to Samsung store, supposedly a simple process.... sound familiar?

But Samsung is launching in a market where smartphones are still a new market and apps aren't as a mature. If it works and grows Great for them... if it flops they haven't bet the farm on it

Posted via Android CrackBerry App
    AFAIK there is no Android runtime in the new OS. Won't Android apps break the TOS of the OHA? Or am I misunderstanding your post?

06-08-14 01:05 PM
    This is a new OS that targets html5 development. Commoditization starts....

Posted via CB10
    Mack Gans likes this.
    06-08-14 10:00 PM
    My guess that Samsung sees the writing on the wall with Google planning on exerting tighter control on participants of the Open Handset Alliance with the new Android Silver program.

It think it will be good for the mobile consumer market to have another option. So I'm hoping that Tizen does well and we do see more development of HTML 5 apps.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    06-08-14 11:45 PM
    so Tizen makes HTML5 apps that work as well on Android to compete with Android? I don't see the allure of a Tizen phone other than 'hate Google' or its cheaper. Consumers are going to roll their eyes when they see a Tizen phone right next to Samsungs own Android phone and have some schlub try to get them to choose Tizen.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    06-09-14 08:07 AM
    For Blackberry to compete they need to focus on building a better device and stop falling in love with their own technology. BB10 might be a great a OS but for most of the market, it's ugly an duckling tying to be a swan.

With Tizen, the number 1 market player only strenghtens their offering.
    Last edited by EchoTango; 06-09-14 at 08:51 AM.
    06-09-14 08:32 AM
    AFAIK there is no Android runtime in the new OS. Won't Android apps break the TOS of the OHA? Or am I misunderstanding your post?

Break what TOS of the OHA? Tizen and Android are close cousins, both built using Linux open source code, but I have not "yet" seen anything that indicates that Tizen has an Android Runtime that will run APKs.

Samsung wants Android developers to port their apps to the Samsung store - they then become Tizen Apps that seem to run natively. (they are spending about 4 million initially to get developers on board for just Russia)

Samsung is free to make Android, Windows, Tizen or even BlackBerry devices (if they wanted too). They just can't modify Android beyond the custom UI that they created for Android, and appear to be using on Tizen also. They are skirting the edges of the rules... but they haven't broken any of them.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-09-14 09:11 AM
    Break what TOS of the OHA? Tizen and Android are close cousins, both built using Linux open source code, but I have not "yet" seen anything that indicates that Tizen has an Android Runtime that will run APKs.

Samsung wants Android developers to port their apps to the Samsung store - they then become Tizen Apps that seem to run natively. (they are spending about 4 million initially to get developers on board for just Russia)

Samsung is free to make Android, Windows, Tizen or even BlackBerry devices (if they wanted too). They just can't modify Android beyond the custom UI that they created for Android, and appear to be using on Tizen also. They are skirting the edges of the rules... but they haven't broken any of them.
    Yes, were on the same page. Will these ported/native apps run on BB 10? If they will, it can be a huge win for BlackBerry in the end.

06-09-14 10:23 AM
    so Tizen makes HTML5 apps that work as well on Android to compete with Android? I don't see the allure of a Tizen phone other than 'hate Google' or its cheaper. Consumers are going to roll their eyes when they see a Tizen phone right next to Samsungs own Android phone and have some schlub try to get them to choose Tizen.
    Ya, because consumer buy Samsung based Android phones over other Android phones because of reasons other than advertising. People will buy Tizen. Just make the phone shinier and immediate advertising around it (in store) more eye catching.

You are overestimating consumer knowledge.
    06-09-14 11:25 AM

The new phone will not run Android apps. Android apps that are coded primarily with HTML 5 though (and there are a lot of them) will run on Tizen with minimal effort.

https://www.google.com/search?q=angr...ive&gws_rd=ssl
    m1kr0 likes this.
    06-09-14 11:26 AM
    The demo in the OP link shows a html web app game.

Are there any of these around for us with our BB10s to try out?

06-09-14 12:04 PM
35 12