06-09-09 06:11 AM
30 12
tools
    Does anybody else get the feeling that the first Google Android phone will blow away the iphone 3g & Blackberry Bold. I get this feeling that when google comes out with their first phone weather its a gphone or not, it will be ahead of everybody. From what I have been reading of their 3rd party apps, apple's applications dont even come close. They are just so tight lipped about everything... I feel like there is something big going on behind the scenes.
    07-17-08 02:24 AM
    Does anybody else get the feeling that the first Google Android phone will blow away the iphone 3g & Blackberry Bold.
    No. Apple has been making iPods for years, that is why the iPhone is a success. RIM has been making smartphones for years, that is why Blackberry is a success. I would be hard pressed to believe that an internet search engine/email entity's first outing in the hardware market would "blow away" any tried-and-true hardware maker.

Though, I have been wrong before. But I really don't think I am now.
    07-17-08 02:51 AM
    I think one strong thing that RIM and Apple have is a strong name and franchise... the BlackBerry and iPhone.

Android on the other hand, is going to be on a slew of devices that come and go.

I think it's key for Android to be on such a device. Consumers look for "the new iPhone" or "the new BlackBerry". Although the devices that android will be on may indeed be similar to a previous generation of a newly named device, a strong name plays a major role.

That's why car companies keep the same name of their vehicles for the most part, no matter how much the car itself may change in design, features, price etc. "Camry" wouldn't be as popular today (probably even Toyota at that) if every new body change of that vehicle had a new name.

That's just what I think.
    07-17-08 08:45 AM
    We will have to hold back our anxiety and muster up enough patience to wait and see!! I think it will be huge success and an amazing platform to run on devices!!

But, we cannot make comparisons yet... especially when Android has not even been released! Also, Android will be available on a number of devices... so we will have to see...
    07-17-08 08:56 AM
    Blow them away? I strongly doubt it. Will it be innovative? Most likely. Will it be the next big thing? Probably for a week or so. But unless they've come up with something so new that no one's ever seen it before...I doubt they'll blow away the competition.
    07-17-08 08:58 AM
    Android is to BB as Google Apps is to MS Office.
    07-17-08 09:00 AM
    Im personally looking forward to Android. Maybe its because I think ATT is a little overpriced and the word out on the street that 3G speeds have suffered greatly since the iphone 3G launch. With Tmobile being the first company getting an Android phone (everything points to an Oct. 1st date for both the HTC dream and 3G network) Im partially going to pick one up because I want to see what people can do with Android and because I want a 3G phone with HS data. Will I drop my Curve? Probably not although Im really curious to see if Android will be able to read email attachments and if Gmail will be push on the device.

In my opinion, I do think there is a lack of software for blackberry out there and im looking forward to seeing what an open OS can do in the long run. Will Android kill the BB or iphone the minute it comes out? Of course not but the potential is there and any competition is good competition. We all win.
    07-17-08 06:43 PM
    No. Apple has been making iPods for years, that is why the iPhone is a success. RIM has been making smartphones for years, that is why Blackberry is a success. I would be hard pressed to believe that an internet search engine/email entity's first outing in the hardware market would "blow away" any tried-and-true hardware maker.

I agree 110%. I believe it will be a good device, but better than RIM and Apple? IMO, no.
    07-17-08 06:56 PM
    OUCH! LMAO!
    07-17-08 07:11 PM

First off, don't you think it is a little naive to simply refer to google as a "search engine/email entity" ? (I'd post a link to a ton of their products but I need 10 posts to do so)

Furthermore, it seems that your initial argument that "Apple has been making iPods for years, that is why the iPhone is a success" is a radical and poorly structured jump in logic. If anything, we can look at Apple's constant tendency to screw up products on the first run. Granted there is a lot of media scrutiny and nitpicking of Apple products; however, it still seems that Apple has needed several iterations of each product line to get it to "must-have" status. More importantly Apple has also historically need several tries to make good software (coughosxcough). The contrast here is that it seems google has been able to nail products quite successfully (though extensive public beta testing) on the first try. Now I am not going to use that as evidence to say that Google will be as successful on the hardware side of things, but let's just say I have more faith in them than Apple.

Furthermore you make the argument that being able to make good (sic) mp3 player means you will be able make good phones. I am just going to go ahead and leave that ridiculous logic alone.

Summary: Although I agree that Google will probably not "blow away" the competition with their first hardware device, I think your argument supporting your opinion is terribly flawed.

I honestly don't know which company you are bashing there.
    07-18-08 07:49 PM

I honestly don't know which company you are bashing there.
    Actually, I wasn't bashing either company. I was just making a statement about market share and the potential for Google to make inroads into established markets.

It may not be accurate to paint Android with the same brush as the overall open source and freeware spaces are painted. But as an example, my experience with Google Apps (and OpenOffice.org and....) is that it just doesn't measure up to MS Office in terms of compatibility or document portability. I wouldn't run a business with Google Apps documents, and I sure wouldn't send those documents to a business partner or customer. I've tried it with OpenOffice, and there always seemed to be some type of problems at the other end. I'd only use MS Office for that, since that is the standard. The same is true for NVu versus Dreamweaver and so on and so on. You get what you pay for. Not only do these freeware apps lack in function and general compatibility, their support isn't nearly as good, either.

Android may well turn out to be a game changer. But BB is so well established and is so good for the market it addresses that I just can't see Android threatening it any time soon, if ever. Maybe Android is more of a threat to the iPhone. But BBs are here to stay, I think.
    07-19-08 09:18 AM
    Android

video of android running on a phone
    07-21-08 05:24 PM
    Android

video of android running on a phone
    Amazing possibilities.
    07-21-08 06:16 PM
    I think one strong thing that RIM and Apple have is a strong name and franchise... the BlackBerry and iPhone.

Android on the other hand, is going to be on a slew of devices that come and go.

I think it's key for Android to be on such a device. Consumers look for "the new iPhone" or "the new BlackBerry". Although the devices that android will be on may indeed be similar to a previous generation of a newly named device, a strong name plays a major role.

That's why car companies keep the same name of their vehicles for the most part, no matter how much the car itself may change in design, features, price etc. "Camry" wouldn't be as popular today (probably even Toyota at that) if every new body change of that vehicle had a new name.

That's just what I think.
    I agree. The average person won't even know or care about Android until the actual gPhone is released. Coming from a loyal BlackBerry user like myself I hate to say it, but if the gPhone and Android OS is completely synchronized with my online Googles apps I will probably drop BlackBerry for a gPhone. The x-factor to me is what carriers it will be available on; I would have to think long and hard about leaving VZW.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-08 06:38 PM
    I honestly think that it looks great and has witty open source possibilities, but they act like it's the most advance thing to this date. It doesn't seem any better or more advanced than the blackberry OS or the iphone's OS.
    07-21-08 09:12 PM
    I honestly think that it looks great and has witty open source possibilities, but they act like it's the most advance thing to this date. It doesn't seem any better or more advanced than the blackberry OS or the iphone's OS.
    IMO they dont think its more advance. I think they are creating software or are asking people to create the software so it can be used across all carriers. Imagine there software across all carriers and how much money they could make. Instead of just being across one like the iphone/at&t.
    07-21-08 09:52 PM
    ugh... but i HATE htc...
    07-21-08 11:02 PM
    First off, don't you think it is a little naive to simply refer to google as a "search engine/email entity" ?
    No, I honestly don't.

Furthermore, it seems that your initial argument that "Apple has been making iPods for years, that is why the iPhone is a success" is a radical and poorly structured jump in logic.

Furthermore you make the argument that being able to make good (sic) mp3 player means you will be able make good phones. I am just going to go ahead and leave that ridiculous logic alone.
    Ridiculous logic? That's interesting, considering that the iPhone is little more than an iPod/media player (and a damned good one too) with a sub-par phone tacked on. Are you telling me you don't believe that iPhones are successful because they're built on top of iPod technology, arguably the most successful mp3 player in the US, if not the world?
    07-21-08 11:38 PM
    I don't really know about this android OS, yeah seems great and there will be non stop apps and software, but making it open source will make it vulnerable to those people out there that are set on messing with peoples lives in the way of hacking and viruses, i love google as a company i think they have shown great strength and growth in the market and they are always involved in new projects but this i don't know. I want it to work because that will be it you know "free for all" as to say. But time will tell. Thanks Andrew
    07-22-08 05:34 AM
    I feel like there is something big going on behind the scenes.
    The first phone with contextual ads in a sidebar based on the content I'm viewing?
    07-22-08 06:48 AM
    The first phone with contextual ads in a sidebar based on the content I'm viewing?
    The first time my phone displays an ad is when it grows wings.
    07-22-08 09:20 AM
    Does anybody else get the feeling that the first Google Android phone will blow away the iphone 3g & Blackberry Bold. I get this feeling that when google comes out with their first phone weather its a gphone or not, it will be ahead of everybody. From what I have been reading of their 3rd party apps, apple's applications dont even come close. They are just so tight lipped about everything... I feel like there is something big going on behind the scenes.
    Android uses the same programming language as Blackberry (and other mobile apps), a subset of Java, so it all depends on how powerful the hardware platform is, as opposed to the OS. I think the Blackberry has nothing to fear from it, at least for now
    07-23-08 12:15 AM
    I don't really know about this android OS, yeah seems great and there will be non stop apps and software, but making it open source will make it vulnerable to those people out there that are set on messing with peoples lives in the way of hacking and viruses,
    The most secure and stable systems tend to be open source ones, mainly because there are so many people looking out for it. Open Source doesn't mean just anyone can place their code in the hardware.
    07-23-08 12:17 AM
    I don't think android will be much of a threat to blackberry but it will be to the iphone. Blackberrys are great for business and they have become more consumer friendly over the years and with the Bold and Thunder coming they will be fine. The real competition will be when Android hooks up with Symbian. Has anybody checked out the Nokia N95 or other N Series phones? They're already competition in my opinion but they're not readily available in the US.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-08 11:57 PM

Android isn't making the phones, its HTC which was started in 1997.
    07-28-08 01:46 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD