11-23-14 12:14 AM
95 1234
tools
    Unfortunately, Classic's screen has same resolution (720 x 720). So, bigger screen will not mean more content/more lines of content.

I wish the screen showed just a bit more content like another couple of lines of emails in HUB, another few lines of chat-messages. 15 - 20%.
    Resolution doesn't necessarily decide content displayed...

The Classic is around .5" bigger. The more screen real-estate, the more content.

Having used the Classic, it does indeed display more content over the Q10 -- not a huge amount, but definitely noticeable...

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 09:18 PM
    It looks really nice and there are some moments where I daydream about this BlackBerry and want to get it... but then I look down at my Passport and laugh as I swipe away at my beast of a phone.

I picked up a friends iPhone 5S yesterday to look at a picture on Instagram and I could hardly see it. I cant handle tiny phones anymore.
    11-13-14 09:18 PM
    So can we say that the tool belt is just one piece and not separated buttons? Based on the final picture I mean?
    I think they're divided on the actual device like we've been seeing. The marketing shots seem to represent them as a flush, single strip like the 9900. I'd love for this to make production but we're not seeing that. Who knows though, there have been a lot of revisions to the hardware.

Unfortunately, Classic's screen has same resolution (720 x 720). So, bigger screen will not mean more content/more lines of content.

I wish the screen showed just a bit more content like another couple of lines of emails in HUB, another few lines of chat-messages. 15 - 20%.
    It does show a little bit more content. Here's a comparison I created from the Classic simulator.

Final BlackBerry Classic revealed-classic_comp.jpg

Another thing I noticed in recent 10.3.1 builds is how shrinking the font size actually results in more lines showing in the HUB. Before, each line would still contain the same amount of space and the text would just shrink. This is an improvement even on the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 11:05 PM
    still.. i want PASSPORT!!

but CLASSIC, you almost blew up my mind!
    11-13-14 11:13 PM
    I think they're divided on the actual device like we've been seeing. The marketing shots seem to represent them as a flush, single strip like the 9900. I'd love for this to make production but we're not seeing that. Who knows though, there have been a lot of revisions to the hardware.

It does show a little bit more content. Here's a comparison I created from the Classic simulator.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Classic_Comp.jpg 
Views:	1335 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	314250

Another thing I noticed in recent 10.3.1 builds is how shrinking the font size actually results in more lines showing in the HUB. Before, each line would still contain the same amount of space and the text would just shrink. This is an improvement even on the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    I believe this will happen on your Q10/Q5 as well once they've been updated with the new 10.3.1, that's how this OS is supposed to do.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    11-13-14 11:13 PM
    I believe this will happen on your Q10/Q5 as well once they've been updated with the new 10.3.1, that's how this OS is supposed to do.
    Not correct.

Posted via CB10
    11-13-14 11:28 PM
    But classic is using bb10 also, and trackpad, menu button, phone button, just as double function in using touchscreen. Keypad is the same as q10 I think.... still not getting it. is it just sentimentil feeling for old era of BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    It has Z30 specs.
    11-14-14 01:06 AM

Can't you just reduce the font size to fit more text on the screen? Or has that not been implemented in BB10 yet?
    11-14-14 05:14 AM
    People think it's under powered. It technically isn't.
    I don't know. The specs seem pretty similar to my nearly 2 year old Z10. I'm not one for crowing about specs, but it doesn't bring much new for me to an upgrade except a keyboard.

Love the look of it. Love the idea of typing on it. Still has the same square screen and the corresponding concerns about apps will be on it - even compared to Z10 and Z30.
    11-14-14 05:23 AM
    I still not getting it, what's so cool about classic? it's q10 with trackpad only right? Not sacrsm, real quest here
    Legit question. Not sure it's intended to be cool. Pretty sure it's sole purpose is to try and spur fleet upgrade sales of Bolds and Curves and nothing more than that. The Passport is their "edgy, think different" device. This is intended to be a workhorse.
    11-14-14 05:28 AM
    this phone looks gorgeous. I might have to take a closer look....
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    11-14-14 06:53 AM
    It does look good. Took a few design queue's from the iPhone 4/5 it seems. The steel band, SIM tray and volume buttons, almost identical.
    11-14-14 07:02 AM
    Legit question. Not sure it's intended to be cool. Pretty sure it's sole purpose is to try and spur fleet upgrade sales of Bolds and Curves and nothing more than that. The Passport is their "edgy, think different" device. This is intended to be a workhorse.
    Legit answer! The Classic is as close as BlackBerry can come to a "bridge" device between BBOS and BB10, and it's meant for those who really want that. I don't think the number of such people is huge, but they're out there, and not only in those corporate fleets. There's no reason why BlackBerry shouldn't make a phone to bring them into the BB10 era. If by chance the Classic turns out to have general consumer appeal, so much the better.

It looks like a nice phone, but I'm still more than happy with the Passport, and I still have the Q10 if I need a backup.
    xandermac and ediggity like this.
    11-14-14 07:28 AM
    Right, I mentioned that in my post. But it doesn't work with every area of the OS. The HUB will show more content if you shrink the font, but for the example I posted, the Classic should see more list items in the overflow menu than the Q10 no matter what. This could change.
    11-14-14 10:59 AM
    Yeah maybe they bulked up the battery because they realized ppl prefer battery life over thinness. When will Apple learn?

Posted via CB10
    they can't learn their entire innovation to the smartphone is thin that's all they go they stop and people will stop lol.
    11-14-14 11:02 AM
    ...at $449 outright I think BlackBerry has a potential hit here. I don't think it's underpowered for the target audience: I think there are statistically insignificant numbers of people thinking "I bought the Galaxy Note 4 (or iPhone 6 Plus) instead of the BlackBerry Classic because it's CPU wasn't fast enough."

Shame the screen wasn't 1280 x 1280, but that would just complicate native development further.
    11-14-14 12:04 PM
    I still not getting it, what's so cool about classic? it's q10 with trackpad only right? Not sacrsm, real quest here

Posted via CB10
    theres a lot of ppl who love there 9900 so this is more for them
    11-14-14 12:26 PM
    I bet the Classic outsells the Passport. Any takers?!

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 12:48 PM
    ...at $449 outright I think BlackBerry has a potential hit here. I don't think it's underpowered for the target audience: I think there are statistically insignificant numbers of people thinking "I bought the Galaxy Note 4 (or iPhone 6 Plus) instead of the BlackBerry Classic because it's CPU wasn't fast enough."

Shame the screen wasn't 1280 x 1280, but that would just complicate native development further.
    Bumping the resolution to 1280 x 1280 could probably be accommodated; I don't think it's the actual resolution that's an issue anymore (BB10 uses a generic "display units" measurement now that's more geared to the physical screen size and not the pixel count). However, a higher-rez screen would be more expensive and suck battery life.

The Classic isn't meant for spec-heads. Or even the run-of-the-mill smartphone buyer. It's kind of a pro-oriented/business device, and in that world battery life is a bigger deal than raw resolution.
    bb8900edit likes this.
    11-14-14 12:51 PM
    Another Legit answer:

Some people love BB10 and their Q10s already. But some of those people have more bluish collar jobs, and are often working outside with gloves or dirty hands, and want to be able to manipulate the PHONE portion of their device with as little hassle as necessary.

Send and End being physical buttons make the almost forgotten PHONE functions incredibly easy to use.

I sure wish we could get some details on the specs, and final device hardware...and VZW availability...patience is a virtue I guess.
    11-14-14 01:02 PM
    Yeah maybe they bulked up the battery because they realized ppl prefer battery life over thinness. When will Apple learn?

Posted via CB10
    No problem! I don't care how thick it is.. the most important thing that drives the productivity of your smartphone is to have a longer and better battery life that could last for at least 2 days of mix use with 4G and wifi constantly on.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 01:32 PM
    I bought a q10 because it was the only keyboard bbry option. I sorely miss the trackpad on a daily basis, especially for text corrections (finger gets in the way of when you're trying to get the circle in the right place) . I would have bought the classic had it been offered first. I might actually skip the classic if the Passport mini, slider, or the rumored hideaway keyboard phone comes out before my upgrade. The capacitive keyboard solves most of my issues and can effectively replace the trackpad for my uses.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-14 02:30 PM
    Legit answer! The Classic is as close as BlackBerry can come to a "bridge" device between BBOS and BB10, and it's meant for those who really want that. I don't think the number of such people is huge, but they're out there, and not only in those corporate fleets.
    For BlackBerry, I think they're pretty "huge" still. If they have 47 million active users, I've bet at least 35 million of them are on one of those devices. Classic is another attempt to get them to upgrade instead of switch.

Much easier to convince those guys to upgrade than an iOS or Android user to switch over.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    11-14-14 04:21 PM
    I bet the Classic outsells the Passport. Any takers?!

Posted via CB10
    If it produces upgrades successfully from the 9900, I'd believe it. Passport is definitely the device to generate more interest though.
    11-14-14 04:22 PM
    This is the one that appeals to me most .. Sexy!!
    11-14-14 04:28 PM
95 1234