08-03-10 09:02 AM
33 12
tools

BlackBerry users running out of loyalty: 50 percent plan to defect to iPhone or Android

By Paul Miller posted Aug 2nd 2010 at 3:45PM

Nielsen has its own angle on the smartphone numbers game out today, and the results vaguely resemble the numbers from Canalys. Perhaps more interesting than the ever present market share tug-of-war (Nielsen pegs Google, RIM, and Apple at 27 percent, 33 percent, and 23 percent in sales to new smartphone subscribers, respectively) a note on brand loyalty turns out ugly for BlackBerry: while 89 percent of iPhone owners plan on getting another iPhone, and 71 percent of Android buyers plan to re-up, only 42 percent of BlackBerry owners plan to stick around. The defectors are pretty evenly split, with 29 percent planning to go iPhone, and 21 percent to go Android. That compares to 2 and 3 percent in the iPhone and Android camps planning a move to BlackBerry. We'll see if BlackBerry 6 can solve this little problem for RIM, but the few tweaks we've seen so far seem hardly capable of stemming the flow.
    08-02-10 05:39 PM
    Half dozen threads quoting Nielsen have come up today.

Over all Opinion,
    Who cares.
    08-02-10 05:49 PM
    Why do we have the media trying to make/break tech companies? What make Apple or Motorola/Samsung selling android any better than RIM? Who cares....
    08-02-10 06:09 PM
    (Sorry forCAPs- didn't know it was on- hey - I'm a bad typist !)

MAKES SENSE IN AWAY-BIS SYSTEMS ARE CUMBERSOME, AREN'T "COOL" AND CAN BE MIMICKED BY MANY OTHER PHOINES WITH OS's THAT ARE MUCH MORE INTEGRATED- os 6 STILL IS WILL BE 1 OR 2 GENERATIONS BEHINDG- AND AS MUCH AS BUSINESS USERS DRIVE THE bb WORLD- THE NOON BUSINESS USER IS RIVING ANDROID AND APPLE
    08-02-10 06:13 PM
    I defected to iphone and that was the worst mistake. Then I was thinking about Android but decided against that as well. BB is a great fit for me.
    08-02-10 06:14 PM
    I love my BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-02-10 07:15 PM

Over all Opinion,
    Who cares.
    Why do we have the media trying to make/break tech companies? What make Apple or Motorola/Samsung selling android any better than RIM? Who cares....
    Let's play a little game called "Role Reversal". If those numbers were flipped and the poll stated that most people were sticking with bb, and a large number of iphone/android users were planning to defect to bb. Honestly, would you still be saying "so what"? Just curious.
    08-02-10 07:24 PM
    Going to android in 2 weeks... nobody I know is buying a blackberry, but several have bought android phones. I am not surprised.
    08-02-10 07:33 PM
    It's not fifty percent of users. It's 42% of the users thinking of switching devices plan to stay with RIM, while the others might potentially pick Android(21%) or iPhone(29%) or another OS(7%).
    08-02-10 07:40 PM
    Let's play a little game called "Role Reversal". If those numbers were flipped and the poll stated that most people were sticking with bb, and a large number of iphone/android users were planning to defect to bb. Honestly, would you still be saying "so what"? Just curious.

If the numbers were flipped
    1: this would be the correct forum to post it on
    2: It would be a mixed blessing, as the forums would get a fresh lot of SUB 10post posters, who will come and give 10 posts that have been answered 50 times that day,
    08-02-10 07:47 PM
    I look at other devices like the Dell Streak and I look at my BB Storm.
    I read the article about the Storm "refresh" and for me, RIM is making my next device choice easier by not offering anything that can be considered to be competetive.

I read the article and I bleieve that they are trying to point out the shift in BB user loyalty.
    08-02-10 07:59 PM
    I'm looking at a Droid defection pretty soon I think. Not exactly sure though.
    08-02-10 08:04 PM
    Plan to defect to what?

I'm a BB BIS user. My BB (Tour 9630) meets my needs (within reason). Would I like BB to update the OS, browser, etc? Heck yes, although it looks like my Tour won't be getting OS6.

My decision to stick with BB is based on two major items: (1) Android is based on Google and I refuse to turn my life over to Google (my life is already turned over to Microsoft because I use Outlook and sync my BB with it), and (2) I've used my niece's iPhone and I don't like the UI. Just my opinion, I know a lot of people love it. The new iPhone4 antenna debacle completely shut the iPhone door for me.

So if I want a "smartphone" that can get my e-mail on a timely basis, can sync with my Outlook calendar and contacts, and works the majority of the time, the BB is the device for me. I really do wish that RIM would improve their QC, which used to be second to none; really update the OS and UI; and stop putting out "refreshed" versions of the same phones over and over again with new names and/or numbers. However, the pros still outweigh the cons for me.

Who knows what the future will hold...

JMO.
    08-02-10 08:05 PM
    Going to android in 2 weeks... nobody I know is buying a blackberry, but several have bought android phones. I am not surprised.
    Gotta say I agree with the switch, my DX is shipping on the 18th and gonna give it a try, getting tired of the same ole, same ole from RIM. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing to say bad about my S2, except that it's about 5 yrs behind in technology, sure it's a great device and I'm sure it's capable of much more, but am tired of waiting on RIM to get their *hit together and everything I've seen video wise of OS6 is that it's just another beauty makeover with a faster browser and a few changes. Just my opinion.
    08-02-10 08:50 PM
    The only thing worse than seeing these threads over and over and over and over and...well, you get the idea, again, is seeing multiple posts all appearing on the same day. Doesn't ANYONE use the "Search" feature any more? ::: sigh :::

This is all bs, irrelevant and more hyperbole from disaffected, misinformed and lazy people (by that, I'm referring to the original authors of these so called "studies") that have no clue.

First, I really don't care who goes where, shifts to what, is mad/bored with whomever, etc. It means nothing to me. What does mean something to me, is if I have a phone that meets my needs and that I like. RIM isn't going anywhere. Yes, there are some fine Android phones out there and personally, I was tempted to get the X myself, but decided it wasn't quite right for me. Second, I'm weary of all the hand wringing, "I'm gonna shoot myself," "The sky is Falling" responses.

I've posted this in one of the other bazillion threads that appeared today, but I'll say it here again. Today, it was reported that RIM shipped 41% MORE phones than this time last year. Today, it was reported that RIM's stock is up 4% based mostly on anticipation about new devices and OS6. Yes, there are certainly those who have had BBs for years and are interested in trying something different. Great, go for it, I almost did. It's not a big deal. Yes, some choose (God only knows why) to switch to an iPhone. Of these groups, many regret their decision and come back to BB (or say they will when their current contract expires). Yes, some of them will also love their new device and stay with it. Yep, that's the market place, that's how it goes. Tons of lifetime Chevy owners decided to try a Ford one day and suddenly, they loved Ford. Same goes the other way around. Those buying a car for the first time, will make a choice about Ford or Chevy or Chrysler or Lexus or Mercedes or whatever, big deal. They all make some fine automobiles and they all steal (ok, "borrow") ideas from one another.

iPodTouch says "nobody I know is buying a BB but several have bought Android phones." Big deal....I know of at least four people right this moment, who are either switching from iPhone to BB or, have already done so and I know of two people in my immediate circle of friends who have Androids and feel pretty "meh" about them. None of this is valid data and is totally insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

The bottom line is, the sky is not falling, competition is good, people will shift and move around and try other things, it's the name of the game. Red is in this year, it will be out next year. Get over it!
    08-02-10 09:09 PM
    Yup, alot of people jumping ship to other platforms because I felt RIM took a very long time to even respond to their customers. I realize I was paying for the same amount for data and could only do half the things that an iphone and android device can do. Yes I can do email but even email was bare bones and truncated. I realize why Apple and Android devices have horrible battery life than Blackberries. Its because its being used more! Ever since I got the Samsung Vibrant I've been browsing endlessly, with the usual email and texts messaging. With my blackberry 8900 I wouldnt bother waiting for a web page to load and would wait till I get on a wifi network.

Blackberry users will say I dont need fart apps but they are just being ignorant because alot of apps in the App store and Market Place are very productive and helpful for daily power user.

RIM had the smartphone market and could've ran away with it. Instead they basically let Apple and Google innovate right under their noses and by the time they realize they needed to change the browser and OS. Apple and Google are far and away ahead of the game. Competition is good and I don't doubt that RIM can create something as good as Apple and Google can. We all have to wait and see when they announce what Blackberry OS 6 can really do. I am intrigued by the 9800.
    08-02-10 09:14 PM
    First, I really don't care who goes where, shifts to what, is mad/bored with whomever, etc. It means nothing to me. What does mean something to me, is if I have a phone that meets my needs and that I like. RIM isn't going anywhere. Yes, there are some fine Android phones out there and personally, I was tempted to get the X myself, but decided it wasn't quite right for me. Second, I'm weary of all the hand wringing, "I'm gonna shoot myself," "The sky is Falling" responses.
    For someone who "doesn't care", and is "weary" of the subject, you sure seem to have spent an awful lot of time reading about and responding to the subject. Since all threads have a subject matter listed, why not simply skip those that you "don't care" about, or that you are "weary" of. Perhaps it hasn't occurred to you that maybe we don't care whether you care or not...
    08-02-10 10:47 PM
    50 percent wow thats a bit drastic. 50 percent plan to defect man that seems a bit ridiculous.
    08-02-10 10:50 PM
    Well, I'm actually coming home to BB and leaving my Droid in the dust, on Wednesday! (Hopefully)
    08-02-10 10:51 PM
    08-02-10 11:26 PM
    I will be joining the Android family soon. Following innovatation..
    08-03-10 12:33 AM

Over all Opinion,
    Who cares.

Who cares, you ask. I care. I care a lot.

Today, I found myself checking out Apple iPad. But, that's as far as I got. I've decided to wait to see what RIM's future plans are. Especially, now that the BB 9800 with Slider will be released in the not too distant future. And maybe BlackBerry 'BlackPad.' Hang in there people. The best is yet to come.

- CB

08-03-10 12:45 AM
    That's an interesting question and I gave it some thought. I would think "that's neat" but would not start a thread about it. But, my next thought was "There is a distinct bias in these threads, consisting of venomous posts when the individual doesn't like BB. It's less of a rational, well reasoned statement about why they chose to move on to something else, but rather, an entire different mindset. Almost as if they wish to impose guilt or self-doubt in those choosing to stay with RIM. It's interesting, really and I don't necessarily know or understand the rational, but I do know that because of this, there would be a distinct leap of caring here.

Don't you find it interesting though, that fewer people take the time to post good news about RIM, they just accept it. We hear more from those who relish the chance to post something negative and that slants the boards. It's no surprise though, happens with most any technology board.

08-03-10 01:06 AM
    50 % of every marriage in this country ends in divorce yet there's no shortage of chapels .
    I switched from an iDen to RIM & love it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-10 01:37 AM
    EnergyPlus, thank you for your post. After having my 8310 for a while, I tried to do an IPhone. I gave it an honest go for about a week. Got fed up even after jail breaking it. Took is back and got a 9000, which I'm still on. The Droid OS is slick, but right now, I'm not seeing any devices that really make me want to switch. My BB does what I need it to and I like how it does it. I don't care if any of it is "outdated technology". Email, Texting, Yahoo IM, Maps with GPS, weather info, FaceBook, Internet surfing on 3 different browsers...heck the thing can even make phone calls! (with visual voicemail I might add) I mean seriously, how "connected" does someone have to be?
    08-03-10 02:51 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD