07-08-12 03:11 AM
42 12
tools
    The design looks quite sexy to be honest. I just hope we won't get a landscape keyboard like the HTC Desire Z... If it's a slider keyboard then please be like the one torch uses
    05-25-12 08:32 PM
    I'm going to do a bit of speculating here. That perhaps the BB10 with keyboard will have a square screen.

Reason? A 15:9 screen on a phone with always on physical keyboard will be either too tall in portrait, or too small short in landscape. In portrait, it will be too top heavy, one handed use is almost impossible. If in landscape, and the screen width the the same as the Bold 9900. We will end up with a smaller display overall. Also that will mean a lot of scrolling up and down due the lack of vertical screen real estate. BB10 UI seems to be built with the idea of touch gestures, having a small screen doesn't do it any justice. Also there will be the problem of orientation. Some app on the playbook are purely landscape or portrait. So how would that work? No matter how you rotate it, there will be a physical keyboard in the way.

So unless RIM is going to implement some of their funky patents of rotating keyboard, or come up with some new type of form factor, i'm going to guess a square screen. hahaha.

If you look at the image i've attached, it the BB10 screenshot of the virtual keyboard. Interestingly, if you crop out the virtual keyboard, you end up with a square.

hahaha. over-analyzing at its best.

edit: I did a quick calculation on the square display. The dev alpha's size seem pretty similar to the galaxy nexus, which is around 2mm wider than the bold 9900. So the square display would be around 3.2 in. With a resolution of 768 x 768 (same horizontal pixel count as the dev alpha), it would give around 339 dpi.
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 05-26-12 at 11:52 AM.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-26-12 06:11 AM
    I like it! Funny how folks are slapping keyboards on the Dev Alpha and taking them off the Bold 9900 . . .lol. . .
    Click to view quoted image
    Only me getting exception while trying opening this in Tapatalk?
    05-26-12 07:46 AM
    Only me getting exception while trying opening this in Tapatalk?

Works fine for me.

Feeding my CrackBerry addiction with Tapatalk
    05-26-12 09:02 AM
    That's one of the major points ... I had the rotating patent in mind ;-)

EDIT : here you go with the patent (source : engadget)
    I believe Sony Ericsson had that design it just didn't flip behind the phone.
    05-26-12 11:44 AM
    Damn! That is a fine photoshop!! Excellent concept, I don't think anything about it except.... FU.CKING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-26-12 01:52 PM
    I do wonder how RIM will release a Bold with BB10.

Rotate keyboards, flipping keyboards, slide out keyboards, whatever else! Well that's not the Bold. I love my Torch but I love the Bold more. I hope they can do it as I hope to upgrade to something like the 9900 with BB10.

I'll be upset when the trackpad goes but it's probably for the best!
    05-27-12 04:09 PM
    Alright, I finally got it.
    While this is an (ugly) Photoshop fake, by doing it, I was wondering ... "well, there's not so much room needed ... and CSS could easily manage (frame) the 12-15% screen height missing.

Also, I had a weird idea ... what if the keyboard could slide from top to bottom ... or even better ... slide and turn behind the phone ! [I'm sure some may accommodate and type blind !] ... nahhh ... C'mon RIM let's leak a few to keep the hype ... see what you do ?
    => I have hallucinations

Sweeeet! I want one now! Haha
    05-27-12 04:39 PM

Rotate keyboards, flipping keyboards, slide out keyboards, whatever else! Well that's not the Bold. I love my Torch but I love the Bold more. I hope they can do it as I hope to upgrade to something like the 9900 with BB10.

I agree the classic bold form factor has no sliding parts, they need to keep that.

the devAlpha is too big! I don't want my keyboard device that big, the 9900 is as big as it should be,
    I too would hate the loss of my trackpad, but some RIM people really like the death of the trackpad moving forward, it would greatly reduce time to build applications, but boy do I love it
    05-27-12 04:39 PM
    Second that. The always on keyboard is a plus point of the classic form factor. They should keep that. If they want something with a sliding/ rotating/ flipping mechanism, they can always introduce another device.

Though I'm still leaving my decision until I can try out how good that virtual keyboard really is.

BB10 was made with touch navigation in mind. I'm not sure how they are going to implement a trackpad and physical keyboard based on that. Seeing that the BB10 demo at BB world revolved around touch gestures. We just have to wait and see.

But one thing is for sure. I'll definitely keep a Bold 9900 just in case. The Bold 9900 is imo the classic BlackBerry form factor, and BBOS, at its best.

BlackBerry via Tapatalk
    05-27-12 06:34 PM
    I want this!
    Superfly_FR and aminrajabi like this.
    06-18-12 06:12 PM
    I want this!
    This is what I envisioned the future Bold devices to look like!
    07-06-12 09:58 PM
    I want this!
    Awesome. I want that!!!
    07-07-12 10:57 AM
    I still want my torch slider. With the trackpad moved to the slideout keyboard.
    07-07-12 11:14 AM
    I like it - but please don't leave out the trackpad for one handed navigation.

If worse comes to worse, and they are stupid enough to not offer a physical keyboard, I suppose an aftermarket company could rig up a clip on bluetooth keyboard that fits over the bottom as you show.
    07-07-12 06:59 PM
    Id prefer a Milan Design like a BIG SLIDER TORCH..
    07-07-12 08:13 PM

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    07-08-12 03:11 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD